• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR Rendering summary for AMD/NVIDIA/Valve tech talks

Durante

Do all VR headsets display in 3D? is that what the stereo means?
Yes and yes.

Edit: summing up the rendering load stuff I put on the previous page:
pixelsvts0b.png

aliasing16gklg.png

aliasing2okknc.png

In short: you won't get the same asset fidelity / scale you see on a screen in VR on comparable hardware.

Blizzard

Banned
I miss forward-rendering and MSAA, even with its downsides. I wonder if anyone will ever try to implement it in Unreal Engine 4 as an alternative to the deferred path. I imagine it would be a crazy amount of work and kill performance.

Mivey

So 4k at 60FPS would be roughly the same pixel/s load as minimal quality VR?
Hmm, seems a single-card solution for this is still some time away.

Amazing stuff from valve.

The industry is borning people.

Gentlemen, start your engines.

Yes and yes.

In short: you won't get the same asset fidelity / scale you see on a screen in VR on comparable hardware.

More to "In VR you can see the imperfections clearly".

So 4k at 60FPS would be roughly the same pixel/s load as minimal quality VR?
Hmm, seems a single-card solution for this is still some time away.

While this is true for something like a modern AAA title, those slides are talking about limits. You can make beautiful VR games with different art styles and less geometry. It is a big constraint, but not an impossible one.

Marc

So would TXAA be better overall for VR for the constant motion?

As in, you should take the hit and gain performance elsewhere.

Edit: Obviously nvidia not in the talk but could be ahead of AMD with that feature.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yes and yes.

Didn't you hear, Sony built a magic box that can simsalabim everything to 120fps.. Why not use that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
More on pixel quality:
aliasing16gklg.png

I commented on this earlier, but yeah, I found the smae thing on DK1 and 2.

So basically, what you need is more pixels, more often, with lower latency, and higher IQ. Fun!

The pixels per degree is interesting. I'd consider a 720p 30" monitor acceptable so that would suggest you'd only need 2x the current resolution to have decent VR? So a 4k screen split across two eyes (1920x2160 per eye) would be a good level.

I think that should be doable (in terms of 5-6" screens existing) in the next couple of years. And even driving such a screen at a basic level should be ok with high end cards in a couple of years - think approximately Titan X SLI should be mid-high end consumer by then.

Thats ignoring the 4xMSAA which complicates things a bit :p

JordanN

Banned
I miss forward-rendering and MSAA, even with its downsides. I wonder if anyone will ever try to implement it in Unreal Engine 4 as an alternative to the deferred path. I imagine it would be a crazy amount of work and kill performance.

I heard Epic were working on implementing forward rendering for certain technologies (foliage,transparencies,SSS).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didn't you hear, Sony built a magic box that can simsalabim everything to 120fps.. Why not use that.

I know you're being sarcastic, but that warping is harder to do in a precisely consistent manner on PC...

And even if you can achieve acceptable latency with lower-than-90 framerates with warping etc., the requirements are still such that you're not going to have the same per pixel budget as 1080p/30fps/monoscopy game anyway :p

Top Bottom