• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lognor

Banned
Honestly good for you the update came right about when you'll receive your TV I believe right?
If not it will be just a few days of waiting and congrats either way.
Thanks! Yeah, my tv arrives on Friday. I went back and forth so much between the A80J and C1, but opted for the former because of the promise of VRR. Now I just hope that the implementation is good! Costco has a good return policy so if it's not I might be starting over again. LOL

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Thanks! Yeah, my tv arrives on Friday. I went back and forth so much between the A80J and C1, but opted for the former because of the promise of VRR. Now I just hope that the implementation is good! Costco has a good return policy so if it's not I might be starting over again. LOL
We'll see .

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think it is likely something big is going to drop from Sony for PS5. LG C9 being updated to offer the gamma workaround they hacked in for CX and C1 was a strange update, but for some people welcomed. Still prefer not to mess with that until they have a proper solution.

Spitfire098

Riky🙏🕊
Pop Smoke Pour One Out GIF by Sidetalk

Last edited:

FingerBang

I don't have a Twitter account so I can't scroll through the comments, but where does it say the PS5 update is coming this week?

Nowhere, it's just speculation. People are assuming the reason why PS5 doesn't have VRR is that Sony TV don't support it yet, even though many models are waiting for a firmware update to enable it. So people are doing 1 + 1 and if that is true, once Sony releases the VRR update, they'll release the PS5 update as well.

But there's nothing certain about it. I hope it never happens, it would hurt the feelings of so many people.

Kupfer

Nowhere, it's just speculation. People are assuming the reason why PS5 doesn't have VRR is that Sony TV don't support it yet, even though many models are waiting for a firmware update to enable it. So people are doing 1 + 1 and if that is true, once Sony releases the VRR update, they'll release the PS5 update as well.

But there's nothing certain about it. I hope it never happens, it would hurt the feelings of so many people.
I misread the original post I quoted. All good, this one's on me.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
If it turns off Local Dimming then its a piece of shit just like those Hisense TVs.
That particular problem should be of no concern to me as I have a Sony OLED. But I hope VRR works in 120Hz mode in full resolution and down to 30-40Hz.

You 12 or something?

Last edited:
Me...who bought an XH90: :messenger_loudly_crying:

edit: that said, happy for you guys. at least you weren't dumb and bought a 1st gen HDMI 2.2 / VRR TV. Buy lesson learned: never buy anything with a promised feature before it's already included. Never again.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Me...who bought an XH90: :messenger_loudly_crying:

edit: that said, happy for you guys. at least you weren't dumb and bought a 1st gen HDMI 2.2 / VRR TV. Buy lesson learned: never buy anything with a promised feature before it's already included. Never again.
I have that TV in the game room, and it got the VRR update last year (but supposedly it's not the final revision of it).

I have that TV in the game room, and it got the VRR update last year (but supposedly it's not the final revision of it).
Me too...but it turns off local dimming so it's basically useless. Since then i got another update last week that did nothing. Supposedly it makes VRR better but i don't see it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't have a Twitter account so I can't scroll through the comments, but where does it say the PS5 update is coming this week?

It doesn't, the assumption is that because it's now rolling out on Sony's line of TVs, it should be coming to the PS5 as well.

On topic, finally, we can all have VRR and people can stop post quoting Riky everywhere.

LordOfChaos

Annny chance they're going to throw Freesync in there though they talk only about VRR?

The latter doesn't cover all of the former, because monitors and a few TVs had Freesync before VRR was integrated into the HDMI spec.

kyliethicc

What game was developed with Dolby vision?
Its not even that.

Its that games don't send out the same HDR metadata to the TV like films do.
HDR games are already customizable by the end user, unlike films.
DV in the XBSX is low latency DV, aka the worse looking form of DV.
The XBSX outputs in 10 bit, while DV was made for 12 bit color.
And of course yes - the XB is just force converting HDR10 content into a DV container to output.

Zeroing

Banned
They are so slow at making software implementations…
Does Sony even have a big software team?
In my head it’s being made by 4 guys!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd be more concerned for the people who have constantly argued against it, they are about to look pretty stupid when more people enjoy the advantages it gives.
Hopefully it comes to my PS5 very soon.

TBH, this so much. People will start using it and be like......

.....you know what this is pretty amazing....

...Will they own up to it though lol

DJ12

Still not going to make games perform better whichever platform it's on though. Which I think was the general point levelled at captain vrr.

Mentioning vrr in a performance thread will be no less pointless when Sony add it than it was while they don't.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Probably not, the denial runs deep🤣

It will make an instant difference to Elden Ring as DF have stated.
Also you've got to be pretty stupid to claim it doesn't affect performance when Dying Light 2 runs up to 120fps on Series X, they are just denying reality at this point.

JackMcGunns

It's a good feature to have. The rhetoric goes both ways

Hey, this is a really good feature, it solves a lot of the problems seen in analysis.

Wait, the PS5 doesn't support? bah it's crap, no one uses it, no TV has it, who's buying a new TV just for VRR, blah blah blah

But Sony is adding VRR... Oh wait... never mind, it's awesome again! :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Why. 1440p was just transition resolution.
Are you playing on a shitty 1440p monitor? It is most likely able to accept and downscale 4k signal

Wut, it's still an ideal resolution for a lot of PCs. That's shitty now? 4K is still wasting a lot of GPUs and less than native comes with scaling blur.

I have a PS5 and a nice 1440p ultrawide for my PC, it's usable on it, but I do wish it could use it to the fullest. It doesn't appear to be able to pass a 4K signal to it. Most recommended ultrawides still seem to be 1440p.

FrankWza

Its not even that.

Its that games don't send out the same HDR metadata to the TV like films do.
HDR games are already customizable by the end user, unlike films.
DV in the XBSX is low latency DV, aka the worse looking form of DV.
The XBSX outputs in 10 bit, while DV was made for 12 bit color.
And of course yes - the XB is just force converting HDR10 content into a DV container to output.
Well at least it’s not something they charge for like the Atmos app. That too is just to make that atmos logo appear on receivers and no games are developed with it so, “support”

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wut, it's still an ideal resolution for a lot of PCs. That's shitty now? 4K is still wasting a lot of GPUs and less than native comes with scaling blur.

I have a PS5 and a nice 1440p ultrawide for my PC, it's usable on it, but I do wish it could use it to the fullest. It doesn't appear to be able to pass a 4K signal to it. Most recommended ultrawides still seem to be 1440p.
And nobody is taking 1440p away from your pc.
Maybe your monitor doesn’t support it. But I had few monitors that were 1440 and accepted 4k signal perfectly fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom