• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

And nobody is taking 1440p away from your pc.

This is the point though. I and a fair chunk of gamers have these monitors already for PCs, sure most people are going to play on TVs which never really did 1440p, but it would be nice to just support hardware we have.

I have this, which was fairly expensive. I'd love for my PS5 to be able to take fuller advantage of it. But Sony is incentivized to have Sony TVs be the best place to play PS5 so I'm not sure they'll care to support monitors better. "Shitty 1440p monitor" is just a silly point, it's a resolution that makes a lot of sense for a monitor, and many of us would like to also use those monitors better on PS5.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
It's a good feature to have. The rhetoric goes both ways

Hey, this is a really good feature, it solves a lot of the problems seen in analysis.

Wait, the PS5 doesn't support? bah it's crap, no one uses it, no TV has it, who's buying a new TV just for VRR, blah blah blah

But Sony is adding VRR... Oh wait... never mind, it's awesome again! :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Fox And The Grapes.

I just updated my Sony xr77a80j. The update mentioned VRR, but after the update I can't find any settings for VRR. Is it something that is just always enabled?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm shaking my head at people who think Sony going to enable 1440p resolution.
Why would they do that? So, you could buy a PC gaming monitor instead of one of their TVs🤣
Never understood this argument since there are plenty of other TV brands, and the PS5 isn't prevented from using them either.

Especially with the LG C1/X is very popular amongst gamers.

Lognor

Banned
Maybe slightly better, but C1 has more HDMI 2.1 ports. Stop being such a Sony fanboy

:messenger_beaming:
I don't even know what other devices I would need HDMI 2.1 for. I'm using a soundbar due to my setup so I don't need a 2.1 port for a receiver. Maybe whenever the new Shield TV releases that'll have HDMI 2.1 so that's two ports I might use in the next year. I'm not buying a PS5 and whenever the next gen consoles come out years from now I'll be ready to upgrade my tv again!

high quality GIF
From all the countless reviews I've read? Yes the PQ is much better on the A80J. And if you're watching older content the A80J has much better upscaling. I didn't really think there was a case to be made that the C1 has better PQ...

I just updated my Sony xr77a80j. The update mentioned VRR, but after the update I can't find any settings for VRR. Is it something that is just always enabled?
Can you confirm if you can find it? No way that this only rolled out to the A90J, right?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Is VRR something that is gonna have different outcomes depending on software, game developers, or hardware like TV’s Consoles, PC’s- Sony/ LG/ Xbox etc?

Basically are we gonna get a bunch of VRR comparison threads or people complaining Playstation‘s VRR is not good enough because of XYZ?

intbal

Is VRR something that is gonna have different outcomes depending on software, game developers, or hardware like TV’s Consoles, PC’s- Sony/ LG/ Xbox etc?

Basically are we gonna get a bunch of VRR comparison threads or people complaining Playstation‘s VRR is not good enough because of XYZ?
Only if DF wants to start making all their videos using screencam footage showing the refresh rate fluctuations.

FrankWza

It was from this.

This Twitter account was the first to report the RT patent as everyone used it as a source.

Yeah. I have the beta firmware and ALLM notification comes up on my tv each time I turn on the PS5. Today’s update was probably just stability

omegasc

Yeah. I have the beta firmware and ALLM notification comes up on my tv each time I turn on the PS5. Today’s update was probably just stability
I think they fixed that ALLM issue where some time later it was enabled again or something, because the notification popped up again (LG C9). Either they fixed it or I got used to it and don't notice anymore lol

Topher

Gold Member
I'd be more concerned for the people who have constantly argued against it, they are about to look pretty stupid when more people enjoy the advantages it gives.
Hopefully it comes to my PS5 very soon.

I don't see the rationale of anyone arguing *against* VRR, but if there are those people then they are outliers. Most of us understand the benefit of VRR. However, it is a feature that has been needed more with XSX than PS5 as PS5 has typically had more stable frame rates. I don't think PS5 owners are going to see some massive shift once VRR comes except in specific games like Greedfall where there has been noticeable screen tearing. Either way, Sony needs get off their ass and get this done like they promised they would.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I don't see the rationale of anyone arguing *against* VRR, but if there are those people then they are outliers. Most of us understand the benefit of VRR. However, it is a feature that has been needed more with XSX than PS5 as PS5 has typically had more stable frame rates. I don't think PS5 owners are going to see some massive shift once VRR comes except in specific games like Greedfall where there has been noticeable screen tearing. Either way, Sony needs get off their ass and get this done like they promised they would.

It has more use than that, see Dying Light 2 running at up twice the framerate on Series X as it supports it.
Similar modes exist for Flight Simulator and a Plagues Tale.

FrankWza

I think they fixed that ALLM issue where some time later it was enabled again or something, because the notification popped up again (LG C9). Either they fixed it or I got used to it and don't notice anymore lol
Yeah I think it’s either not engaging on certain screens or it was popping in and out and there was a handshake issue. I haven’t notice it pop up randomly yet today

Topher

Gold Member
It has more use than that, see Dying Light 2 running at up twice the framerate on Series X as it supports it.
Similar modes exist for Flight Simulator and a Plagues Tale.

Sure. That's another good example of how specific games can take advantage of VRR although it would mean more if we were seeing those advantages across the board.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
“Silly” How so?
Staying loyal to a brand? Is this a religion? Nah, I’ll be okay with my amazing LG.
Well the word fan comes from the word fanatic which is basically a religious extremist.It has since totally lost this crazy part to be more common but fans and religious people do share some common psychological trait (but I guess fanboy or warrior would probabl match those religious fanatic way better).
I guess most people would be agnostic or atheists in this situation either not knwoing or caring about which brand to be loyal to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
1440p is the best resolution for a PC monitor, and no most of them do not accept 4K signals.

Sony not supporting it is pure bullshit and there's no excuse not to support it.
It’s not. Not when 4k120 is available and with good hdr on better tvs…
Console is made mostly for use with tv. They do not cater to monitor users because it’s probably a vocal minority.

If you got a monitor that don’t accept 4k signal, then no real hdr too for sure. I would just think about changing the monitor and not the world changing about you to suit your needs

Tygeezy

Sure. That's another good example of how specific games can take advantage of VRR although it would mean more if we were seeing those advantages across the board.
If they allow VRR along with 120 hz system wide it's going to reduce input lag regardless if the games have stable framerates or not. Your displays latency will be reduced by half, and rendering latency will be reduced not bumping into vsync. So a 60 fps game that's more than likely 70 or so milliseconds will now be 30-40 milliseconds. That's a pretty big deal.

Banned
Console is made mostly for use with tv. They do not cater to monitor users because it’s probably a vocal minority.

If you got a monitor that don’t accept 4k signal, then no real hdr too for sure. I would just think about changing the monitor and not the world changing about you to suit your needs

lick those boots even more dude!

there is no excuse to not have 1440p, it is clearly not there because Sony doesn't want to offer options that make it less likely for people to buy their TVs, that's clearly the reason neither VRR nor 1440p are available.

VRR isn't there because their TVs are an embarrassment when it comes to that feature, and 1440p isn't there because they don't sell 1440p screens

Last edited:

Rubik8

OLED or LCD? If LCD check to see if it disables your local dimming.
It’s an OLED. I think the update is borked. The option to change display settings goes nowhere. I had to go through the Bravia notification to turn on VRR for specific HDMI ports. Not sure how to get back there if I wanted to turn it off.

JackMcGunns

Yes, but A80J has better PQ.
A90J has a massive aluminum heatsink that allows it to hit a higher peak brightness than the C1, but it also costs $1300 more for the 65”, that’s just crazy talk considering that the peak brightness is not that noticeable unless you’re purposely putting your set in TORCH mode, because properly calibrated (As pointed out in the video) the difference is not as noticeable.

The A80J is a different story, it does not have the heatsink like the A90J so it cannot hit the same peak brightness, so I’m not sure how you’re coming up with the conclusion that it’s better than the C1.

The LG C1 is better for gaming, it blows away the Sony (input speed wise) input lag on both A80J and A90J (Huge for gaming) are higher than the C1, no one wants input lag.

As far as 2.1 ports, one of the ports in the A80J is being used up by the audio return channel which leaves gamers with little options. Might suffice for single warriors, but still, the C1 is the better gaming TV.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
A90J is better and also $1300 more for the 65”. But the A80J?? might be close in PQ, but the C1 is better for gaming, blows it away input speed wise, input lag on A80J (Huge for gaming) can’t come close.

As far as 2.1 ports, one of the ports in the A80J is being used up by the eARC which leaves gamers with little options. Might suffice for single warriors, but still, the C1 is the better gaming TV.
I don't disagree that the C1 is the better gaming tv. The thing is though that I use my tv probably more than 50% for things other than gaming. So I want the best picture quality and gaming features. I still need to see how VRR performs, but the A80J has the C1 beat easily in PQ. I've watched a lot of reviews and while the input lag is better in the C1 it isn't awful in the A80J. The current tv I'm using has worse input lag than the A80J and I do pretty well in competitive online games. I'm not worried about it.

Hawk269

I don't think so. What many are waiting for is some tech review of Sony's implementation of VRR. When the A90J first came out, it did feature 4k/120 support, but it was broken. When gaming in 4k/120 you would get a lot of color banding and other odd things. It was because it was a poor implementation of 4k/120. This was eventually fixed however.

With VRR it is going to come down to how Sony implemented it. We don't know yet if there are some draw backs to how they implemented it. I am hoping it is a good implementation. Some possible issues could be it does not display properly at 4k/120 and VRR or the VRR range is much more limited than let's say Samsungs or LG's implementation.

We will have to wait for reviews/tech reviews for this info.

Last edited:
A90J has a massive aluminum heatsink that allows it to hit a higher peak brightness than the C1, but it also costs $1300 more for the 65”, that’s just crazy talk considering that the peak brightness is not that noticeable unless you’re purposely putting your set in TORCH mode, because properly calibrated (As pointed out in the video) the difference is not as noticeable.

The A80J is a different story, it does not have the heatsink like the A90J so it cannot hit the same peak brightness, so I’m not sure how you’re coming up with the conclusion that it’s better than the C1.

The LG C1 is better for gaming, it blows away the Sony (input speed wise) input lag on both A80J and A90J (Huge for gaming) are higher than the C1, no one wants input lag.

As far as 2.1 ports, one of the ports in the A80J is being used up by the audio return channel which leaves gamers with little options. Might suffice for single warriors, but still, the C1 is the better gaming TV.

You need to read some reviews. The A80J does indeed have the (slight) edge in picture quality over the C1. That’s a commonly understood conclusion.

I have also compared them side by side when I bought both.

Last edited:
Sony doesn't give a fuck about PC monitors. The PS5 is for 4K TVs.

If these are resolutions expected from next gen games, 1440p will be a sweet spot for consoles.

This is a wierd take. Adding 1440p support opens up a lot of interesting options wrt to frame rate, Freesync etc at lower price points.

No reason to come up with excuses against it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It’s an OLED. I think the update is borked. The option to change display settings goes nowhere. I had to go through the Bravia notification to turn on VRR for specific HDMI ports. Not sure how to get back there if I wanted to turn it off.
That’s how it’s designed to work. You activate VRR under the input section and has nothing to do with picture settings. Look at the video posted from Vincent. He shows you where the option is located.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So on Sony OLEDs the only downside is BFI being disabled and picture settings set to "gaming". No other TV has BFI + VRR so its all good I guess.

Could turn out great. Very cool.

Dr Bass

I just got a VRR update for my 900H but haven’t installed it yet. I will soon. Any good games to test it with on xbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom