• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR Compatible Monitor/TV List for PS5 from Reddit

Banned
Is it because of the monitors themselves not working or is it a Sony issue?
sony doesn't support FreeSync, this meansnthe Screen has to support HDMI Forum VRR, which was an optional spec starting with HDMI 2.0.

some screens and TVs only ever were advertised as Freesync ultimate but still support it

Wohc

Banned
I don't get why some Tvs turn off FALD in order to have VRR. FALD is the main reason why people pay hundreds of Euros more compared to a normal tv. Have fun with clouding without it.

Venuspower

I don't get why some Tvs turn off FALD in order to have VRR.

Because on the one hand FALD needs computing power and on the other hand it also causes a higher lag. Now there are TVs/monitors whose chipsets are crap (hello Medikatek) and then you just have to cut back. The worse the SoC, the worse the backlight in gaming/VRR mode.The better the chipset, the smaller the effect on the backlight.

My Samsung Q70r listed. Im running out of reasons for replacing it But I want a tv with Earc and also 4k 120hz. Im currently stuck at 1440 for 120hz.

Arioco

I still couldn't get it to work properly on my Samsung Q7 (2018), even though it should since the TV supports VRR. The PS5 recognises the TV as VRR compatible, but if I enable the picture I keep loosing signal and get a black screen every few seconds.

On my CX, on the other hand, it works perfectly, as it's supposed to.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because on the one hand FALD needs computing power and on the other hand it also causes a higher lag. Now there are TVs/monitors whose chipsets are crap (hello Medikatek) and then you just have to cut back. The worse the SoC, the worse the backlight in gaming/VRR mode.The better the chipset, the smaller the effect on the backlight.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Local dimming isn't disabled in game mode on most (any?) TVs, which is specially made for minimal input lag. And why would VRR leave less resources for local dimming to work? If the TV can already do its processing at 120hz, I don't see why enabling VRR (which means the screen can refresh LESS often) would use more resources? Makes no logical sense. Plus, those Sony TVs (at least some of them) are pretty high end with very decent chips.

I'd guess it's more likely to be something with local dimming only working at a particular refresh rate (the one of the panel). Don't know why though.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Eve Spectrum 4K does not work with PS5 VRR - waiting for firmware update.

Error: Multiple blackscreens every other second

Last edited:

Venuspower

Local dimming isn't disabled in game mode on most (any?) TVs, which is specially made for minimal input lag.

Just take a look at Sonys most recent LCDs with ALLM support. As soon as ALLM is engaged Backlight is switched off. Samsung also had this issue in the past. But they were able to improve the performance of their SoC.

And why would VRR leave less resources for local dimming to work?

First and foremost, I see the reduction of input lag as the main goal here. Disabling/reducing the intensity of the backlight intends to reduce the lag as much as possible.

I don't see why enabling VRR (which means the screen can refresh LESS often) would use more resources? Makes no logical sense.

Because now there is much more communication between the devices happening and the TV has to dynamically adapts its Hz to the FPS.
Look at it this way: Driving a car at a constant 50 km/h on an open road also consumes less fuel than constantly accelerating and braking in city traffic, even if you often drive slower there.

Plus, those Sony TVs (at least some of them) are pretty high end with very decent chips.

This may well apply to image processing. But it obviously does not apply to support for HDMI 2.1 features and gaming. The best example here has also been the problem when the resolution was reduced internally at 4K@120. Unfortunately, Mediatek has not yet been able to deliver a decent SoC in this regard. 2023 should be the year where their SoCs are finally be able to handle this stuff without compromises.

Venuspower

LG C9 here and i heard that vrr works awful

Working just fine here.

some issues with gamma corrections.

Well, these are not LG C9 issues. These are general issues every single TV out there has. With most LCDs, however, it is not noticeable because of the poor black level. With OLEDs, on the other hand, it is more noticeable due to the nature of the self-emissive-display. But again, all other OLEDs have the same problem. Even Samsung's new QD OLEDs. However, LG at least offers the "fine tune dark areas" option which allows you to mitigate the issue.

Good running list here of working and non working displays

Book Reading GIF by Mediamodifier

Arioco

I have a C9, doesn't work on Ghostwire Toyko, I think.

That's weird. Did you enable Instant Game Response and FreeSync on the TV menu? VRR seems to work like a charm on my CX even with games that didn't received any specific patch (in my case I tested Resident Evil VIII demo), but Instant Fake Response must be set to on. Ghostwire Tokyo should work fine on your C9 too unless the game has an issue that prevents VRR to work as it should.

poodaddy

The LG E9 should be fine if the C9 is supported right? They're the same displays, just the E9 has better sound and slightly better aesthetics.

That's weird. Did you enable Instant Game Response and FreeSync on the TV menu? VRR seems to work like a charm on my CX even with games that didn't received any specific patch (in my case I tested Resident Evil VIII demo), but Instant Fake Response must be set to on. Ghostwire Tokyo should work fine on your C9 too unless the game has an issue that prevents VRR to work as it should.

I’ll have to check to make sure it’s enabled at the tv level. But instant game response is enabled.

Working just fine here.

Well, these are not LG C9 issues. These are general issues every single TV out there has. With most LCDs, however, it is not noticeable because of the poor black level. With OLEDs, on the other hand, it is more noticeable due to the nature of the self-emissive-display. But again, all other OLEDs have the same problem. Even Samsung's new QD OLEDs. However, LG at least offers the "fine tune dark areas" option which allows you to mitigate the issue.
Nice , gonna check if my c9 have the dark area settings, dont remember seeing that.

Wohc

Banned
But Sony's 2021 Tvs have the Cognitive Processor XR with better picture quality Samsung's 2019 Tvs and even better than Samsung's 2020 tvs.

Venuspower

But Sony's 2021 Tvs have the Cognitive Processor XR with better picture quality Samsung's 2019 Tvs and even better than Samsung's 2020 tvs.

As I mentioned earlier: Just because it is better at processing the picture, it does not mean that the overall performance is better.

Wohc

Banned
As I mentioned earlier: Just because it is better at processing the picture, it does not mean that the overall performance is better.
Maybe you are right, still hard to believe that even 2019 entry level tvs from Samsung have chips with better performance. Maybe it's a software problem since it took them forever to roll it out.

Can anyone please confirm, once and for all, if the LG B9 supports VRR at 4K and 120 Hz with a range of 40-120 Hz?

I keep reading conflicting information on this and even RTINGS.com state in their review that the B9 only supports VRR at 4K in the 40-60 Hz range. Yet my Xbox Series X and now my PS5 (which received the VRR update yesterday) both state that VRR is active to 120 Hz (in the case of the PS5 only from 48 Hz though rather than 40 Hz but that's likely Sony just being Sony!). My TV has the latest firmware update (05.20.15 from February 2022) and obviously VRR is enabled in the console settings.

I have both consoles set to 120 Hz and the few games I've tried that run with a 120 fps mode feel smooth to play without any stuttering or tearing so on that basis it does seem like VRR is working up to 120 Hz. If so then why do RTINGS.com and Which state that at 4K VRR only goes to 60 Hz?

Venuspower

still hard to believe that even 2019 entry level tvs from Samsung have chips with better performance.

Well, Samsung and LG both have the advantage that they are designing their own SoCs. Vincent Teoh also explained the advantage in some of his videos in the past. I don't know where you get the idea that Samsung's 2019 low end TVs have a better chipset than modern Sony TVs. I am pretty sure that this is not the case. LG on the other hand "simply" used a custom solution in their 2019 OLEDs (and some of their LCDs) that constied of two HDMI chipsets and a switch chip. Of course, that was also much more complex and expensive than the usual "one chipset solution". In 2020, they also switched back to a simpler variant. Here, however, there were also limitations again. In particular, the lower bandwidth of 40 Gbps, compared to the 48 Gbps in the 2019 TVs.

In this video Vincent Teoh shows the impact of "game mode" on the backlight of a Samsung TV (9:07):

It is true that Samsung has made improvements to it in the meantime. But it should be clear that this is at the expense of other things.

Can anyone please confirm, once and for all, if the LG B9 supports VRR at 4K and 120 Hz with a range of 40-120 Hz?

Yes, your B9 does. Back in 2019 there were some conflicting reports caused by some statements from LG employees. Therese were causing all the confusion back then. Just keep in mind that Sonys VRR implementation in the PS5 is limited to 48 - 120 Hz at the moment.

Last edited:

Banned
Eve Spectrum 4K does not work with PS5 VRR - waiting for firmware update.

Error: Multiple blackscreens every other second

I had this on my Samsung Q70 2019 and after replacing the cable with the cable that came with the Series X it worked.

I originally had the PS5 connected using an old cable I already had connected

it seems like the PS5 is very picky with cables when it comes to VRR.
seems like handshaking issues.

My PC had similar issues with this TV, but I expected that since I run a 10m cable from the PC to my TV, and long cables like that are usually low spec due to signal degradation

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
Well, Samsung and LG both have the advantage that they are designing their own SoCs. Vincent Teoh also explained the advantage in some of his videos in the past. I don't know where you get the idea that Samsung's 2019 low end TVs have a better chipset than modern Sony TVs. I am pretty sure that this is not the case. LG on the other hand "simply" used a custom solution in their 2019 OLEDs (and some of their LCDs) that constied of two HDMI chipsets and a switch chip. Of course, that was also much more complex and expensive than the usual "one chipset solution". In 2020, they also switched back to a simpler variant. Here, however, there were also limitations again. In particular, the lower bandwidth of 40 Gbps, compared to the 48 Gbps in the 2019 TVs.

In this video Vincent Teoh shows the impact of "game mode" on the backlight of a Samsung TV (9:07):

It is true that Samsung has made improvements to it in the meantime. But it should be clear that this is at the expense of other things.

Yes, your B9 does. Back in 2019 there were some conflicting reports caused by some statements from LG employees. Therese were causing all the confusion back then. Just keep in mind that Sonys VRR implementation in the PS5 is limited to 48 - 120 Hz at the moment.

Interesting stuff, thanks.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I had this on my Samsung Q70 2019 and after replacing the cable with the cable that came with the Series X it worked.

I originally had the PS5 connected using an old cable I already had connected

it seems like the PS5 is very picky with cables when it comes to VRR.
seems like handshaking issues.

My PC had similar issues with this TV, but I expected that since I run a 10m cable from the PC to my TV, and long cables like that are usually low spec due to signal degradation
I'm using the HDMI 2.1 cable that came with PS5 - that should be good enough right?

Banned
I'm using the HDMI 2.1 cable that came with PS5 - that should be good enough right?

I guess, but the cable I used (I think it was one that came with the One X or One S) should technically also work, that should be a cable compatible with 120hz and VRR, but I had the same issue you described.
basically every time the refresh rate would drop the screen went black.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I'm sure the Xbox One cables are the same as the one that comes with Series S and not Series X so 18gbps.
You need a full fat 48gbps cable for 4k 120hz 4:4:2 with VRR.

Inviusx

C9 owner here. How exactly does it function from a TV settings perspective? The C9 doesn't have a freesync option so what allows to be enabled on the TV's end?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I guess, but the cable I used (I think it was one that came with the One X or One S) should technically also work, that should be a cable compatible with 120hz and VRR, but I had the same issue you described.
basically every time the refresh rate would drop the screen went black.
I'm sure the Xbox One cables are the same as the one that comes with Series S and not Series X so 18gbps.
You need a full fat 48gbps cable for 4k 120hz 4:4:2 with VRR.
Just ordered a 10K/120hz 48gbps cable. Will be here tomorrow.

Banned

ok, quick update on that, it appears that the HDMI port was the issue.

I switched the ports, while using the same cables as before (so the one that wasn't working on PS5 is connected to the PS5 again)
and now it works for BOTH consoles. Xbox's VRR works flawlessly and PS5's VRR also

this is getting kinda weird not gonna lie... I really think the PS5 has handshaking issues and cables + ports can lead to these

all I did this time was literally plugging in the PS5 into HDMI 1, and the Xbox in HDMI 4, exactly the opposite of ehere they were before and both work with the cables I used before

Last edited:

Banned
ok, I just wanted to record the video on my phone, and I established in another thread that I had to switch around HDMI ports due to handshaking issues on the PS5.
now when I play fidelity mode my refresh jumps up to 119hz, and down to 74hz, 60hz and 48hz rapidly and I have noticeable stutters this consoles seems to REALLY have some issues with handshaking, at least on my HDMI2.0 TV.

the Xbox SX works without issue on any HDMi input I tried it on. and I just tried the PS5 on all inputs and it only works either with the old cable in HDMI1 (but that has the issues mentioned above) or with the Xbox SX cable in HDMI1 (where I didn't have the stutter issues)

running in performance mode works without issue in the current config, so I get ~90hz, +/-10

it's really weird. I'm going to try different HDMI cables later, but what seems to be the issue with my current setup is that Low Framerate Compensation is not working correctly for me
just a quote from another thread that is relevant here

Top Bottom