• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

W Virginia governor about to flip from Democrat to Republican tonight at Trump rally

gdt

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/03/us/politics/west-virginia-governor-to-switch-from-democrat-to-republican-trump.html

WASHINGTON — Gov. Jim Justice of West Virginia, a Democrat who was elected last year even as President Trump carried the state by 42 points, is expected to announce Thursday night at a rally with Mr. Trump that he is changing parties, according to three sources familiar with the plans.

Speaking to reporters in the White House Thursday, Mr. Trump promised ”a very big announcement" at a gathering in Huntington, W.V., that is expected to draw thousands of supporters from across Appalachia, a region that gave Mr. Trump some of the largest margins of his election.

Mr. Justice, though, is said to have friendly relationships with some members of Mr. Trump's family. And before entering politics he gave money to officeholders in both parties while variously registering as a Republican, Democrat and independent.

more at the link

we dems stay losing out here.

He wasn't really a real democrat though, I guess. Still.....shit.

Edit: This is gonna hurt Machin too.

watershed

Banned
I don't have much respect for someone who has so little personal conviction that jumping from democrat to Trump-Republican is something they can even entertain.

Dyle

Trump and Governor Jim Justice (man what a name!) at this rally

H2h3az3n_400x400.jpg

Jeremy

I was talking with a friend about this and it just feels greasy. I told him I'd be pissed if I voted for someone who ran under one party and was elected, then switched parties and took on their ideology (though he's been doing that apparently). My friend agreed and said there should be some type of special election if it happens.

Any reason why that wouldn't work out that me and him aren't thinking of?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I know this dude absolutely luuuurved coal, being from WV and all, but did he have any actual non-shitty positions?

This guy must play the best multidimensional chess of all because to any normal person this looks incredibly stupid. The GOP and Trump are both tanking in the polls.

He was the state's biggest coal something something? That's all I remember about him. Doesn't sound like a Democrat tho. West Virgina getting screwed, again. Or maybe they prefer their coal??

Shouldn't this demand a special election?

He effectively lied to the voter base.
Why would changing parties trigger a special elections? The remedy is to vote him out when the time comes. This change also is meaningless, as in this specific case, it changes nothing about his positions or actions. He's been all over Trump before, during, and after his election.

Boke1879

It's West Virginia.

Also i'm not lover of Manchin, but he voted against the healthcare bill. Even though some would rather he be a straight laced GOP

Why would changing parties trigger a special elections? The remedy is to vote him out when the time comes. This change also is meaningless, as in this specific case, it changes nothing about his positions or actions. He's been all over Trump before, during, and after his election.

What's the breaking point for that, though? Or is there even one?

Like, for instance, could a newly elected president theoretically just switch parties shortly after being sworn in, flipping on almost all their key positions, and just claim they "changed their mind on things" and still get to be president for the next four years?

studyguy

Guy was a R not 2 years ago, no one should be surprised.
As posted in poliGAF he was running against Clinton/Obama in WV at the time, so it's like yeah well duh. I mean all things considered, today is a pretty awful day to jump on the Trump train, but then again this is WV which is a fucking mess.

Coal industry has done a number on it since the dems collapsed in the state after 2009. I don't really know what one does at this point for it. More pressing is the current make up of gubernatorial seats across the country, Dems are fucking reeling there. 2018 will be a nice chance for a pick up though.

And because it'll inevitably come up:

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/893204253413715970
Jonathan Martin (@jmartNYT)
NEWS: @Sen_JoeManchin is stickin'
"Joe Manchin has been and always will be a proud West Virginia Democrat" via @jonathankott
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/893213663729000449
@jmartNYT
Bit more @Sen_JoeManchin news: no, the bank shot DHS for 50th ACA repeal thing isn't happening.

He's not going into the cabinet, per spox

Eegah

This means nothing. Trump will make it sound like it does tho.

This is my feeling, too. The labels don't really matter, what does is how they vote. I doubt that this guy's votes will look any different tomorrow than they did yesterday.

Superficially, though, it's a 'win' for Donald.

Steel

Banned
He was the state's biggest coal something something? That's all I remember about him. Doesn't sound like a Democrat tho. West Virgina getting screwed, again. Or maybe they prefer their coal??

It's West Virginia, so yes.

Like, for instance, could a newly elected president theoretically just switch parties shortly after being sworn in, flipping on almost all their key positions, and just claim they "changed their mind on things" and still get to be president for the next four years?

Yes.

ApharmdX

Banned

He's the richest man in West Virginia, so he went ahead and became governor. Him and Trump have a lot in common- bored billionaires both.

MarionCB

Why did the Democrats give him their nomination when he was clearly a Republican temporarily masquerading as a Dem? As we can see, even if you win, you lose.

Also, I've never seen a rat jump onto a sinking ship before. The whole thing is weird.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is an actual execution of a strategy I used to propose while high as fuck all the time: I will run for office as a republican and then cackle and change parties when I am elected.

Yes?

LosDaddie

Banned

Absolutely

Trey

Nothing stopping any one from doing that other than shame and alienating voters.

In fact, it's what a not insignificant amount of Democrats and liberals convinced themselves Donald Trump would do on some of his more horrible stated policies.

studyguy

The people that backed him in the primary should probably take a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror.

I mean he didn't really hide anything.
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-p...ar-over-alleged-support-of-national-democrats

Justice fired back with a news release calling, in his typical folksy manner, the claim that he supported Obama ”complete dog snot." He went even further, saying that he voted for John McCain for president in 2008 and for Mitt Romney in 2012, remarkable (and unverifiable) claims for the Democratic candidate for governor.

”Why in the world would I ever contribute to Obama when he's taken millions of dollars away from my family's coal business and the hardworking coal miners of West Virginia?" Justice said.

This is WV after all. He might have signed on that letter that urged the senate to not repeal the ACA but, then again that's like bread and butter in WV. More than anything it's just weird ass WV politics where everyone is shitty 100% of the time. I can't imagine his voters care much at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I can't speak to someone named """"Jim Justice"""" living in somewhere called West Virginia because I've never heard of either of those things and I'm not confident they exist, but in general while party switchers are on a trajectory for a while before they switch, they also have a jump or discontinuity in policy positions and more importantly procedural votes when they do switch. You see this with Jeffords and Specter and Dick Shelby, for example. While I'd say it applies less to governors in general, my guess would be that people rightfully feel that transitions are not smooth and continuous things.

On the subject of special elections, I'd be inclined to think that they ought not be required -- the choice to have them or not is mostly about whether we think it's a good use of resources, not some cosmic right or wrong. But someone switching immediately after being elected (as opposed to a year or two into their terms) should probably be subject to existing recall procedures if they exist and the voters want it. That particular category is a pretty sleazy thing to do.

KingV

This beyond stupid and a blatant lie.

The Democratic party would be dead without the pro-life Democrats. They make up a good 30%+ of the party polling shows.

People forget that Harry Reid supported overturning Roe vs Wade like anti-choice democrats is some sort of new thing.

Edit: on topic, tying your future to trumpn in 2017.... is an interesting choice.

RinsFury

Go ahead and hook your wagon up to the burning Trump inferno. The more assholes that go down with that shitbag the better.

Joe Manchin, in a state Trump won by 42%, votes inline with Trump's interests 54.2% of the time and is considered a traitor to Democrats.

John McCain, in a state Trump won by 3.2%, votes inline with Trump's interests 85% of the time and is considered a moderate sweetheart.

Yeeesh.

Anyway, it's hard to not view WV as a lost cause. I know people don't like to say those words, because for decades Dems said that about the South and now some of it is finally turning purple after a shitload of work and zero thanks to idiots abandoning the 50 state strategy. But I'm not sure what you do about a state where you can say "The 100k coal jobs are magically coming back and btw I'll make sure no brown-people take them from you" and the electorate will flock to the polls for you... right after they finish shooting up their heroin.

I want Dems to be a bit more risky in their promises and messages, but I don't have it in me to outright lie to these people - but it's what they want. They are voting in their perceived self-interest.

Top Bottom