• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waffle House co-founder Joe Rogers Sr. dead at 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AJC

Joe%20Rogers.jpg

“Joe and Tom never imagined their company would grow to the 1,900 restaurants we have today,” Joe Rogers Jr. said. “They never envisioned the financial success shared by so many of their associates 61 years later.”

But it always seemed to be more about the personal connections for Joe Rogers Sr.

"I'm not an executive,” he told the AJC. “I'm a waffle cook.”
It all went back to that shack near the river in rural Tennessee.

He recalled vividly even more than a half century later how it made him feel in his moment of tiredness and hunger. It made him feel better.

"Our job,” he said, “is to make people feel better because they ate with us."

RIP a Southern legend.

Apdiddy

I ate there about two times and actually got sick the first time. I interviewed for a job there one time in their management training program and had a slice of chocolate pie that tasted like cigarettes. But friends of mine in college after late night studying and/or partying would always go to Waffle House. So I'm not really a fan of their food, but sad to see a good guy go.

Volimar

Wow, he hung in there. It's too bad that the only thing I know about Waffle House is how their restaurants are famous for being filthy places.

Rest well waffle man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom