• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait up, people actually complain about Serena Williams' looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Serena Williams solidified herself as one of the most talented female tennis players of all time — and, arguably, the greatest female athlete in any sport — when she won her 28th straight Grand Slam match on Saturday. Williams is now poised to make tennis history by sweeping all of the major tournaments in a single season, a feat that was last accomplished by Steffi Graf in 1988.

Despite Williams’ undeniable athletic skill, however, there’s one “controversy” that’s persisted throughout her career: Endless scrutiny over what her body looks like, and messages about why it doesn’t fit into society’s expectations for female beauty.

Just one day before Williams secured yet another Wimbledon title, for instance, the New York Times published an article that suggested other tennis players don’t want to look like her.

The New York Times wrote that Williams “has large biceps and a mold-breaking muscular frame” and “her rivals could try to emulate her physique, but most of them choose not to.” Other (white) female tennis players were quoted as saying they try not to bulk up like Williams because they want to “be a woman” and don’t want to “feel unfeminine.” Maria Sharapova — described in the article as “a slender, blond Russian” — said that she wants to be even thinner than she is now: “I always want to be skinnier with less cellulite; I think that’s every girl’s wish,” she said.

The article was widely criticized on Twitter for its central premise: Asking a bunch of white woman what they think about Serena Williams’ body in a society where black bodies are already undervalued.

“Because Serena Williams is a wildly successful black woman in a white-dominated sport, she occupies a fraught space both within the sport itself and the society actively informing our perceptions,” Daily Beat writer Tomas Rios argued this week, in a piece making the case that Williams is paid much less than her rivals like Sharapova because of these issues. “She is an unprecedented affront to our collective notion of the beautiful female athlete.”

It’s nothing new for Williams, whose body has been critiqued for years. Every win she racks up — including Saturday’s — is invariably accompanied by tasteless commentary about the shape of her body and whether or not she looks too much like a man. The dynamic doesn’t escape race and gender scholars, who have closely tracked the way Williams is portrayed in the media.

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/07/11/3679461/serena-body-shaming/

Dunno what these people are talking about. Sure, she's a little muscular, but it's nothing excessive. She looks extremely fit. Personally I'd kill to have a woman like that. I definitely think she looks way better than most of the women in Hollywood, that's for sure.

From Deadspin:

i0vqph9PnLtsHVqD8RqkIhzaqFGiSR-uxKMlFEChQhMx=w684-h1016-no

she does not fit the image of the tennis growing crowd probably for marketing purposes. which sharpnova does. She is the best female tennis star and there is bound to be haters.

Piecake

She is paid less than Sharapove? Man...

Williams is hot. Kinda pathetic that other women tennis players out there are putting down her looks. Either that is just their excuse for why Serena wrecks them so often or that they simply aren't committed as much as Serena to be the best athlete they can be.

Sadly, I am not surprised at other people bemoaning that she isnt some slim white girl

Kuroyume

Banned
She's pretty ripped. Not attractive. But it's her body so she could do whatever the hell she wants with it. And it's working for her competition wise.

sere2lhqxi.jpg

sere1gtqj6.jpg

sere8epo3.jpg

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm not particularly attracted to her looks, not exactly feminine or sexy to me, but people criticizing her solely for that are berks

The New York Times wrote that Williams “has large biceps and a mold-breaking muscular frame” and “her rivals could try to emulate her physique, but most of them choose not to.” Other (white) female tennis players were quoted as saying they try not to bulk up like Williams because they want to “be a woman” and don’t want to “feel unfeminine.” Maria Sharapova — described in the article as “a slender, blond Russian” — said that she wants to be even thinner than she is now: “I always want to be skinnier with less cellulite; I think that’s every girl’s wish,” she said.

The fuck....

Bubba T

I don't know any man with dat ass.

Anything to bring her down a peg. Just because your 'chosen' ones can't keep up with her on the court, you resort to silly petty comments. Pathetic.

She's pretty ripped. Not attractive. But it's her body so she could do whatever the hell she wants with it. And it's working for her competition wise.

How is 'Not attractive' presented as if it's a fact? It's an opinion, and if you pick out unflattering pictures you're not making a point either.

Bubba T

Who the fuck are these people and what planet do they come from?

Can't help but think there's a racial element in people being critical over Serena's body.

WELP

Think?

This woman was booed at multiple Grand Slams for NO REASON. People were cheering the other player who was losing just because.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Ugh.

She's a brilliant athlete.

Some people don't like this kind of physique, which is perfectly fine, but the fact that her looks are a persistent topic of discussion when she is probably the best female tennis player ever is pathetic.

She's physically fit (ridiculously so) and if you like how she looks, great, if not, also great. Just be quiet if what you are going to say is creepy or weird.

Think?

This woman was booed at multiple Grand Slams for NO REASON. People were cheering the other player who was losing just because.

Her being booed is a separate issue. There may be a racial element to the physical side of this discussion, but she's booed because she is an aggressive, impolite, fierce competitor. I like those attributes but she is the villain of the piece. It is part of the theatre of sport. Just like Mitchell Johnson is in the Ashes.

A very wise man once said: "If the niggas hate then let 'em hate, watch the money pile up"

Stay winning Williams, fuck the haters.

barik

Well they're also not performing at her level, so there's that. Bunch of sad people.

These fools could save everyone a bunch of time if they just simply put how they really feel.

"She's black, she's winning, we don't like that. She doesn't look like a white woman."

Instead of these overly long articles in which they pretend to have anything of worth to say.

JK said all that needs to be said. Don't worry you ol crinkly most likely racist "journalists" Serena don't want yo ass anyway.

Mostly just because she is black.

It's a sport. Athletes don't need to be models and we shouldn't care. The goal should not be who scores the most magazine covers. That said, she looks fine.

Kuroyume

Banned
How is 'Not attractive' presented as if it's a fact? It's an opinion, and if you pick out unflattering pictures you're not making a point either.

Well that's the fucking point. Are we going to argue that she's not muscular because that's what those images are trying to show. And all I typed into google images was her name. Not even Serena muscular or something.

Haha at those salty white female tennis players. That "unfeminine" and "every girl wish less cellulite" stuff is straight offensive. No wonder they're not credited, bunch of chickens.

Sharapova just mad because her ass has been handed to her 18 times in a row. Bye Felicia, go make gummy bears.

Mostly just because she is black.

people just don't like the idea of a muscular black woman (triggers stereotypes about black women being bulky and uncivilized) succeeding in a sport that is known for being classy.

There's a nasty racial component to this.

Pretty much but shhhhh respectability politics man. You can't say mean things like that, it makes people uncomfortable and you don't want to do that do you!?

people just don't like the idea of a muscular black woman (triggers stereotypes about black women being bulky and uncivilized) succeeding in a sport that is known for being classy.

There's a nasty racial component to this.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Other (white) female tennis players were quoted as saying they try not to bulk up like Williams because they want to “be a woman” and don’t want to “feel unfeminine.”
So how many of them have caught an L going against Serena? /sigh Good thing is she'll be remembered in a hundred years. They won't be.

Frog-fu

Banned
She is a fantastic athlete and worked hard to get where she is and continues to work hard.

Any nonsense from others that claim they are of capable of having her physique but "don't want to" amounts to nothing more than the whines of beaten dogs.

Also, there is an undeniable racial element to it. Tennis is a predominantly white sport and racists can't stand to see a black woman dominating as comfortable as she has for years. Fuck 'em.

Omega

Banned
A very wise man once said: "If the niggas hate then let 'em hate, watch the money pile up"

Stay winning Williams, fuck the haters.

basically.

i'm 25 and it feels like my entire life she's been the #1 female tennis player. I guess after being that good for so long there's nothing you can complain about start making shit up.

These fools could save everyone a bunch of time if they just simply put how they really feel.

"She's black, she's winning, we don't like that. She doesn't look like a white woman."

Instead of these overly long articles in which they pretend to have anything of worth to say.

JK said all that needs to be said. Don't worry you ol crinkly most likely racist "journalists" Serena don't want yo ass anyway.

So why do other black female athletes see less criticism for their looks? Serena is easily the most physically built (mainstream) female athlete. I think she looks great but can understand why others might find her to be too masculine looking or unattractive.

Let's not pretend race is the only factor here.

Abounder

Banned
Last year, after the president of the Russian Tennis Federation referred to Venus and Serena Williams as “the Williams brothers” and said the sisters are “scary” to look at, Serena Williams responded that his comments were “very insensitive and extremely sexist as well as racist at the same time.”

Holy shit lol. Messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom