• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" -- not great, but better than you'd think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
First off, if you didn't like Anchorman, fruck off... crazies.

'WURB' is a hour and a half of material that didn't make it into the original movie that they made into another film that's sorta the same, but mostly different. It flows well, but it can be forgiven that some things don't make much sense (succession-wise). But the last third of the movie kind of takes on a life of its own and flows normally. They pretty much decided to take the movie in two directions. WURB is the one that you didn't see.

Well, it's easy to see why! It's not very entertaining and often not funny.

BUT a lot of the scenes range from 'chuckle' to 'ow, my ribs'. Lots more Brick, for instance, and some characters are naturally expanded on (
Champ Kind is so very gay
).

I'm glad I spent the additional six (?) dollars for the extra DVD, but I admit that I probably won't watch WURB a second time. The extra material looks sweet, though.

-edit- excuse the topic changing

Mairu

Thumbs up as well

It's clear to see how they had two different outlines for the final movie, and I'm glad we got to see a lot of what didn't make it into the final cut. I'm glad what made it into the actual movie made it in, but I still enjoyed seeing more Ron Burgundy & the Channel 4 News Team

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, lots more News Team stuff

More familiar faces in WURB...

Mr Rosso from Freaks and Geeks (Judd Apatow is involved in both)
Justin Long from "Ed" (Warren) and Dodgeball (Justin)
Stephen Root from Newsradio (Jimmy James) and Dodgeball (Gordon)
Amy Poehler from SNL
Maya Rudolph from SNL

The little Stephen Root bit (with the other anchor) should have been in the main film and had more scenes - shit, that could have been so funny if they just had more time :lol

Socreges said:
Yeah, lots more News Team stuff

More familiar faces in WURB...

Mr Rosso from Freaks and Geeks (Judd Apatow is involved in both)
Justin Long from "Ed" (Warren) and Dodgeball (Justin)
Stephen Root from Newsradio (Jimmy James) and Dodgeball (Gordon)
Amy Poehler from SNL
Maya Rudolph from SNL

The little Stephen Root bit (with the other anchor) should have been in the main film and had more scenes - shit, that could have been so funny if they just had more time :lol

you mention Stephen Root and forget his best flick ever, Office Space? For shame. and Justin Long was also in Galaxy Quest (arguably the best Tim Allen flick) though he was funnier in Dodgeball.

I'll be getting the deluxe set later today, can't wait.

Socreges

Banned
bune duggy said:
you mention Stephen Root and forget his best flick ever, Office Space? For shame. and Justin Long was also in Galaxy Quest (arguably the best Tim Allen flick) though he was funnier in Dodgeball.

I'll be getting the deluxe set later today, can't wait.
I didn't forget anything, allegate. :p I'm just not about to bother putting each of their movies in. The point was to let people know who "Stephen Root", for instance, is.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They actually did test screenings of a four-hour version of Anchorman that included all of the WURB stuff and the stuff that made it into the final movie. The stuff that didn't test well ended up in WURB.

Socreges

Banned
ManaByte said:
They actually did test screenings of a four-hour version of Anchorman that included all of the WURB stuff and the stuff that made it into the final movie. The stuff that didn't test well ended up in WURB.
Yeah, the narrator actually said that *during* WURB, which was interesting.

Socreges

Banned
IntestineBoy said:
Who is the other girl in the alarm clock? She was hot. (not maya rudolph).
Yeah I was going to mention that. No idea.

Oh, and the WURB DVD is worth it for the Steve Carrell audition alone. :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I love pretty much everyone that was in Anchorman, but the movie just didn't work for me. I think I'll Netflix this bonus stuff though and give it a once over.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they filmed the first draft of the script, it would've been the best movie ever:

Adam McKay has said that in the first draft of the script, the story was about a planeload of news anchors who crash in the mountains and discover that the plane which they collided was carrying monkeys and martial arts equipment, leading to a battle between cannibalistic newsmen and star-throwing monkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom