• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wal-Mart vs. Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Playboy actually did a 'Women of Wal-mart' spread on their website. What's next 'Country Mommas of Your Local Gas Stations'.

Sadly, none of the girls working at my Wally-World look like this...

walmart%20chic.jpg

Loki

Count of Concision
Fragamemnon said:
Wal-Mart is beholden to one thing-everyday low prices at all costs, including your shopping experience. I hate going to Wal-Mart with a passion-it's a place where everything wrong with unrestricted, exploitative free-market capitalism is mixed with the selfish American obsession with the accumulation of wealth and goods. Belief in things like quality of life and the good of man just disintigrate when you're walking in a store that is loud and unappealing to your eyes and ears, and unappealing to your heart if you know just why those goods and services are so cheap. It's just oppressive.

Target is a slightly better experience. The employees seem to be less dejected at their job (which means they are probably getting paid better), the goods feel higher quality (meaning that there was a consideration to quality and not final cost in the purchase deliberations), and the atmosphere is fairly clean and orderly-time and money were put into making the store more appealing.

Personally, I want a big box store that:

A) Has unionized employees.
B) Buys American goods, even if it means higher costs. Preferably from manufacturers with unionized employees, if possible.
C) Keeps the store attractive and clean.

Target's only 1/3 in that regard. I'd rather support a store where I pay for the welfare of the employees and their suppliers directly through patronage, and not through the backdoor of paying for their required social welfare through higher taxes to support the safety net they must fall back on because their employers worship a brand of capitalism that works against, and not for, the common citizen.

<thumbs-up>

Btw, Doug, you should post that Wal-Mart rant you posted way back when-- I hope you saved it. Man, that was funny stuff. :D

Loki

Count of Concision
Fragamemnon said:
I almost forgot the elderly greeters. Nothing says "Our society has failed" more than elderly people being forced to work past their retirement ages because we aren't good enough people to say "no, that's not right". I swear, going into a Wal-Mart is so terrible because it makes you face the failings of the society you've helped create in a visceral way that is only replicated/eclipsed by doing inner-city social work.

Sure, some of them work there because they are healthy, need something to do, and are in good shape of mind. Couldn't we have them mentoring kids afterschool instead, though?

<thumbs-up again>

Man, Frag's on a roll. :D

etiolate

Banned
Target has uncensored CDs(often with great sales on them), at least a hottie or two(and they always are willing to flirt for some reason), and just better crap. I admit that about half my wardrobe is from Target.

Target is also now carrying canned Jones Soda.

Target has no children getting beaten in the aisles.

Target has floors you can see.

Target, at least here, is the college kids' shop.

Walmart is just a fustercluck of humanity.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Target.

All the Wal-Marts I've been in have had this weird combination of messy and sterile qualities. I'm not quite sure how it works. Everything seems disorganized but it's dead. I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague. Makes me feel dirty.

I primarily shop at Meijer though, as that's where I get my groceries and then any other small stuff I might need. Between that, a nearby Target and a Home Depot, I'm pretty covered when it comes to anything I need for my apartment, and I don't have a problem going into any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom