• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal :"PS4 Demand Exceeding Sony's Expectations

I'm not so sure.

Just looking at the size of the PS4 -- it's about as big as the PS3 Slim, which was $299 (I realize this isn't an exact science, but in general the larger the box the more expensive it is due to cooling, power, etc)

They've done a lot of things right in the design which should mean that it's considerably cheaper -- CPU+GPU on the same die is a huge benefit in terms of cost reductions. PS3 still hasn't gotten there yet.

The only other expensive component is probably the bulk GDDR5, but I'm sure they cut some insane deals with vendors given the quantities they will be buying in the coming years.

Haha, yea seriously, it'll be 16 chips per console, won't it? Ridiculous.

Game Guru

PS4 really just feels like a return to form for Sony, being strangely reminiscent of their time with the PS1, and feels like a return to the status quo of the PS2-era with Sony dominating the market, while Microsoft and Nintendo struggle to make 30 million each.

While I have predicted a contraction of the console market and still do predict that, I predict that only Microsoft and Nintendo feel the brunt of it with Sony doing better with the PS4 than the PS3... Maybe not to PS2 levels, but it certainly has the chance to match the PS1.

Najaf

Saw this on Reddit and it was too good not to share with Gaf. This seemed like an appropriate enough thread. Oh, and this is coming from someone who skipped the PS3 and only had a 360 this generation (along with a gaming PC).

How fast the image of a company can turn, even with fans.

4EbZPoQ.jpg

Zinthar

Honestly, I think Pachters BOM is off...I bet at $400 they're close to break even.

Why?

Pachter gets a lot of shit, but the guy didn't just throw out some random number off of the top of his head. The BOM estimate surely comes from bulk, wholesale pricing information he gets from industry insiders. That has to be better than just blindly guessing that it must be expensive because, say, it looks cool and PS3 was expensive to manufacture at launch.

In particular, the APU in both machines is pretty damn cheap to make (unlike Cell in '06), and BD drives are much cheaper now. GDDR5 prices will likely come down rapidly because of new production lines being set up as the quantity of it being manufactured will rise dramatically now that every PS4 will need 16 chips of it (AFAIK, the main use of it up to know is in PC graphics cards).

paskowitz

Honestly, I've never seen more fanboys jump ship over a single event than this one. Sure, some Xbox fanboys are too entrenched to move, but there is an alarming amount of platform shifting going on now. I had multiple friends from my XBL days call me and say they're going to join me on PS3 or PS4 now. One of them had like 5 or more RRODs, refused to go to Sony throughout all of this, and is also now jumping ship.

It's all anecdotal, so it doesn't amount to much, but even reading GAF the impression I get is that a huge number of Xbox fans jumped ship. 360 was my favorite console for most of last gen and I accumulated like 170 titles over the years, and I'm jumped ship.

This is exactly my experience. I have had at least 5 friends who are heavy 360 users say they are switching to the PS4. The most common statement was that they do not think they will be able to afford an XB1. They also said they didn't get a PS3 because the games sucked the first two years it was out, but they have been really impressed with the last 2 years of PS3 games. This made them confident that Sony could deliver games that would be worth playing. About the only things they liked about the XB1 was the controller, the fact there is a new Halo coming and that they did not want to loose their XBL achievements. Oh and they also loved that Sony did not put media feature behind a paywall like the 360. The biggest thing they wanted Sony to address was the quality of the online MP experience (chat, parties, invites, etc). They said if this was the same as the 360 it was basically a done deal.

Zaventem

Like i posted in another thread, when you have people with 50 - 100k+ achievements jumping ship, you know people are angry.

i-Lo

Bold added for emphasis. I have some (flimsy, small sample size) anecdotal evidence to support this observation.

A few hours ago I went to my local GameStop to pre-order the PS4. I discussed the E3 conferences with the clerk. The clerk observed that interest in the PS4 was much stronger than in the Xbox One, and that he, too, would be getting PS4 at launch.

About halfway through the preorder process, the clerk received a call from another customer asking about preorder availability for the console. The clerk tells the customer that there are no preorders left for the XBox One, but that GameStop is still taking preorders for PS4 - after this he hangs up. I found this somewhat curious - (my local) GameStop is anticipating much higher demand for PS4, but isn't even taking XBox One orders? When I asked the clerk about that apparent conflict, this was the response I got (accompanied with what I can only characterize as a knowing smile):

"I could get fired for telling you this... when I said we're out of XBox One orders, it's not what it looked like."

I didn't pursue that line of questioning any further, but the more I've thought about this exchange, the more I'm convinced that there are only a couple of reasonable explanations for this.

(1) My local GameStop is getting more PS4 preorders than XBox One preorders, but the ratio of PS4 units to XBox One units requested by the store is even more lopsided, so the Xbox One has sold out first. This doesn't require any assumptions about the motivations of any party, but does nothing to explain the answer I got from the clerk.

(2) GameStop is aggressively trying to push pre-orderers to choose PS4, and is instructing its staff not to indicate that the XBox One is available for pre-order unless the customer speciflcally asks for it.

(3) The clerk is a fanboy and is trying to steer customers towards the PS4 on his own - based on my previous conversations with the clerk, I don't think this is particularly likely.

Again, this is one person's observations based on interaction with one employee of one GameStop location. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on this, but if GameStop is, in fact, going to try and steer as many undecided customers as possible toward PS4 (and away from XBox One), the above would fit.

While my preferences have always been skewed towards PS brand, this shit is just unethical.

No doubt, I want MS to suffer for their anti-consumer stance until they change their policies, but let the potential client make his/her own choice.

Damn it. I just cannot wait for this thing to come out. The wait is going to be brutal. That one week leading right up to launch will be one that many will not survive. I will try with all my willpower to not constantly look up PS4 hardware pics and old articles during that time. I will try desperately.

GhaleonEB

And Redbox and Gamefly are going to go in hard against Xbox One as well.

And half the European countries are gearing up, with the shit they've said about what the Xbox One is doing.

Microsoft is seriously so fucked right now it defies any possible description that can do it justice.

(late to the thread) not to mention all the people down the road who don't plan to take it online. They still exist, in the US and outside, and MS walked away from that market. Sony will scoop them all up. They won't be a big % of the early adopters but man it's going to make a difference down the road.

Now, I know that EA said they weren't involved with the DRM issue, but they probably actually are involved, and it's possible that Titanfall is part of that deal. I wonder if Microsoft can scrap the DRM or not, since they may have deals with some 3rd party publishers, which would go sour if they scrap the DRM. This is pure speculation though, albeit with good reason.

EDIT - Ahh damn it, wrong thread.

Big question, do we know if PS4 will be launching in Asia the same time as everywhere else?

I thought I read somewhere that it'd be later in 2014 (which is crazy talk, especially considering I live in Taipei at the moment).

I'd be pissed if I couldn't get one because they didn't launch worldwide during roughly the same time frame.

Big question, do we know if PS4 will be launching in Asia the same time as everywhere else?

I thought I read somewhere that it'd be later in 2014 (which is crazy talk, especially considering I live in Taipei at the moment).

I'd be pissed if I couldn't get one because they didn't launch worldwide during roughly the same time frame.

I don't think it'll launch in Asian markets this year. There was an interview today with one of the Sony execs that said that they want to focus on the Western markets first because of increasing competition.

iMerc

PS4 really just feels like a return to form for Sony, being strangely reminiscent of their time with the PS1, and feels like a return to the status quo of the PS2-era with Sony dominating the market, while Microsoft and Nintendo struggle to make 30 million each.

While I have predicted a contraction of the console market and still do predict that, I predict that only Microsoft and Nintendo feel the brunt of it with Sony doing better with the PS4 than the PS3... Maybe not to PS2 levels, but it certainly has the chance to match the PS1.

It definitely DOES feel like a return to form for them, and that's really fantastic.

However, i don't believe they'll be dominating any market as drastic as they did with the psx & ps2. not even close.

Western developers (for the most part) for example, will always 'side' with microsoft, i feel. A large part is due to the ethos of these said developers matching more closely to how microsoft operates... and they're a much bigger market/force than they were during the 32bit & ps2 eras.

Much like how japanese developers will side more closely with sony -for the very same reasons.

I see sony definitely selling the most consoles though and i'm fine with that.
They've cooked up a fine little piece of hardware and they seem to be the only one of the big 3 that have their shit together in package.

VariantX

Small sample size. They fucked up big time.

Once they run out of people who like MS franchises above all others, and those with tons of disposable income, they'll probably have a hard time getting any more systems into homes with every one of those pluses for PS4 being a negative for XB1.

MercuryLS

Banned
Damn it. I just cannot wait for this thing to come out. The wait is going to be brutal. That one week leading right up to launch will be one that many will not survive. I will try with all my willpower to not constantly look up PS4 hardware pics and old articles during that time. I will try desperately.

I don't think I've ever been this excited for a new console before. Sony deserves it, they hit it out of the park.

Loudninja

This was posted last month:
Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with PS4 launch"
Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with the launch of PS4," said Sony CFO Masaru Kato during an earnings call that ended moments ago.

"At the time we developed PS3, we made a lot of in-house investments to develop the chip, the Cell chip. Development of the chip saw the silicon processing and all the facilities invested by us ourselves. But this time, yes we have a team working on chip development, but we already have existing technology to incorporate and also product investment and all the facilities will now be invested by our partners, other foundries, so we don't have to make all the investment in-house."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...or-loss-to-be-incurred-with-the-launch-of-ps4

It definitely DOES feel like a return to form for them, and that's really fantastic.

However, i don't believe they'll be dominating any market as drastic as they did with the psx & ps2. not even close.

Western developers (for the most part) for example, will always 'side' with microsoft, i feel. A large part is due to the ethos of these said developers matching more closely to how microsoft operates... and they're a much bigger market/force than they were during those eras.

Much like how japanese developers will side more closely with sony -for the very same reasons.

They've cooked up a fine little piece of hardware and they seem to be the only one of the big 3 that have their shit together in package.

PS1 sold just a tad over 100 million units.

Which was huge at the time, but the market has grown tremendously.

PS3 + 360 have collectively sold close to 160 million units combined.

It'll be interesting to see how much Microsoft will suffer. I could see them losing half of their marketshare to Sony, which would amount to roughly 40 million units. I suspect PS4 will go on to sell 120+ M (compare that to PS3's 80 million or so now)

Zaventem

Once they run out of people who like MS franchises above all others, and those with tons of disposable income, they'll probably have a hard time getting any more systems into homes with every one of those pluses for PS4 being a negative for XB1.

I mean i think even some diehards are leaving. Those people have a crazy high gamerscore. I used by 360 as my console for 3rd party games because most of the time they ran better and PS3's launch was horrible. I bought a PS3 when Demon's Souls became available and never regretted it, i have 25 exclusives for it alone.It sucks i will be leaving 360 behind because it's a pretty decent console but no way am i jumping on that xbone shit. I like to have every console as a collectable every gen but they can go fuck themselves with this one.

What's totally bizzare is that Microsoft has hedged their strategy on:

1. Retaining their core audience (big LOL @ that happening now)

2. Expanding the audience with TV

How do they retain the core and expand their audience when its restrictive policies alienate a huge portion of gamers that don't have access to reliable internet?

And secondly, does anyone REALLY care about the Xbox One's TV features? Is grandma going to buy an Xbox One to skype? At $499? Nobody cares! People are doing these tasks on mobile platforms like smartphones and tablets.

The only audience that is going to be picking this up at such a high price are the hardcore gamers.

Microsoft is so completely out to lunch. It's like they have no self awareness and think Kinect 2.0 will be some gamechanging revolutionary movement like the Wii. It's not.

Hoo-doo

Banned
For once, I think my strategy of "walk into the store on day one and grab one off the shelf" isn't going to work out like I think it does.

Game Guru

Western developers (for the most part) for example, will always 'side' with microsoft, i feel. A large part is due to the ethos of these said developers matching more closely to how microsoft operates... and they're a much bigger market/force than they were during the 32bit & ps2 eras.

You are right about Western developers being closer to Microsoft... the problem is that even accounting for PS3's lack of popularity compared to the PS1 & PS2, the 360 and the PS3 practically tied in sales this generation, likely 80-80 when all is said and done... Just Sony winning 20 million sales, a fourth of all 360 sales, from Microsoft would put Sony at 100 million and Microsoft at 60 million, which would be slightly less than the PS1 for Sony, but over twice as much for Microsoft when compared to the OG Xbox.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Assassin's Creed 4 comes out October 29th. It makes me wonder if we'll actually have Xbone and PS4 games for sale before the systems even come out or if they will simply delay them until launch day of each.

I bought my launch games for the original Xbox before the launch day.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Gah, sorry.

OK.

You buy the PS4 for $399. On launch day, you pick your system up at the local store and check eBay on your phone and see it's selling for $800. What do you do?

Sell and buy another PS3 as soon as I can find one.

What's totally bizzare is that Microsoft has hedged their strategy on:

1. Retaining their core audience (big LOL @ that happening now)

2. Expanding the audience with TV

How do they retain the core and expand their audience when its restrictive policies alienate a huge portion of gamers that don't have access to reliable internet?

And secondly, does anyone REALLY care about the Xbox One's TV features? Is grandma going to buy an Xbox One to skype? At $499? Nobody cares! People are doing these tasks on mobile platforms like smartphones and tablets.

The only audience that is going to be picking this up at such a high price are the hardcore gamers.

Microsoft is so completely out to lunch. It's like they have no self awareness and think Kinect 2.0 will be some gamechanging revolutionary movement like the Wii. It's not.

Still don't understand why I need an xbone just so I can text my friends during a football game when I can text them via my phone or my ipad, or skype on my ipad for that matter. If the console is fucking cheap this could have worked, but not at 500 bucks. I already have a DVR.

Since this thread seems to actually be active, unlike the other threads I've posted this in...

RE: GameStop - I'm a former employee (2008-2010), and I think it's important to note that the Xbox One won't jibe well with employees, and it's policies will effect their opinions moreso than the average consumer (even making them seem like "fanboys", as a previous poster speculated).

Why? Because GameStop allows staff to borrow games from their stores. Technically they're only allowed to borrow used games of which they have excess copies, but employees regularly take home new games (and even unreleased games!) as well. They will be completely unable to do that with the Xbox One, and that pretty much ensures that every GameStop employee across the entire country won't be particularly fond of the console.

This will shape attitudes in GameStops all across the country.

Edit: My point being that staff will have a motivation to push one console over another in addition to and/or aside from any corporate policies.

Since this thread seems to actually be active, unlike the other threads I've posted this in...

RE: GameStop - I'm a former employee (2008-2010), and I think it's important to note that the Xbox One won't jibe well with employees, and it's policies will effect their opinions moreso than the average consumer (even making them seem like "fanboys", as a previous posted speculated).

Why? Because GameStop allows staff to borrow games from their stores. Technically they're only allowed to borrow used games of which they have excess copies, but employees regularly take home new games (and even unreleased games!) as well. They will be completely unable to do that with the Xbox One, and that pretty much ensures that every GameStop employee across the entire country won't be particularly fond of the console.

This will shape attitudes in GameStops all across the country.

Hmmm interesting. I didn't know that.

I'm not from the US but I get that Gamestop is pretty big, so this will have some impact on what is recommended in-store for sure.

CronoShot

I have a launch edition preordered on Amazon and just put in a preorder today at my Gamestop.

I'm always paranoid about these things since the Wii.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly, I've never seen more fanboys jump ship over a single event than this one. Sure, some Xbox fanboys are too entrenched to move, but there is an alarming amount of platform shifting going on now. I had multiple friends from my XBL days call me and say they're going to join me on PS3 or PS4 now. One of them had like 5 or more RRODs, refused to go to Sony throughout all of this, and is also now jumping ship.

It's all anecdotal, so it doesn't amount to much, but even reading GAF the impression I get is that a huge number of Xbox fans jumped ship. 360 was my favorite console for most of last gen and I accumulated like 170 titles over the years, and I'm jumped ship.

You get the early adopters and enthusiasts moving to PS4, then they get their friends to move across, the you really start to build that momentum. We saw this gen that even when PS3 picked up and was a good choice for a console, people were still choosing 360 because that's what their friends had.

Potential for a big snowball effect if this is played right. Cheaper, less restrictive, more stock maybe. Can Sony pull off an earlier launch? Have MS stated a date yet? Maybe Sony are waiting before announcing.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Fuck I would do it too but I need something to play GTA on.

I am not buying any more games for this gen. $60 for 6 month rentals is a waste to me. In March, trading PS3 in all likelihood. So, why spend unnecessarily in my case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The best bit about MS doing this, is that I bet they don't even hear the complaints. They figure they have a great proposition and people will come around to their way of thinking eventually. Or buy a 360. This level of arrogance means you don't just make shitty decisions, but you also don't listen when others tell you they are shitty decisions.

Top Bottom