• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart Blocked 20 million Bot attempts in 30 min to buy ps5 on last drop

So last big drop on November 25th , Walmart blocked more than 20 million bot attempts to buy ps5 in 30 minutes till it was sold out. After that they also went though all the sold ones and canceled all the bots that got through their systems.

Good news is soon you can hopefully get your hands on one since they want to continue and track down hard on bots.

Does this officially settle the debate of how big the scalper/bot problem has become?

I still see a fair percentage of people arguing that Bots aren't a big portion of the perceived supply/demand problem.

It seems to me the evidence is growing that this is an unprecedented situation in which gamers are indeed being out-competed by Bots to some significant degree and that while demand for new consoles would be high and exacerbated by the pandemic (with more people staying in looking to upgrade consoles and GPUs), when we factor in Bots its just a crazy situation in which the ability to secure any given product right now is made several times harder than it should be.

20 million? Goddamn.

Hopefully this won't turn into forcing every customer to provide and verify their IDs and residence in the future, that would effectively put a giant blockade to buying stuff from abroad.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering how scarce console supply is to begin with (until supply/demand level out later on), how about just have consoles sold in stores.

For any online only people, too bad. Store purchase only at the beginning. Every store has retail store only products, sales, some BF deals only in store etc..... So it's not the first time retail store only purchases have been done.

And there's so many Walmarts, Targets and EB Games in the US and Canada (well, not Target lol), most people live close enough to one of them.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
giphy.gif

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Considering how scarce console supply is to begin with (until supply/demand level out later on), how about just have consoles sold in stores.

For any online only people, too bad. Store purchase only at the beginning. Every store has retail store only products, sales, some BF deals only in store etc..... So it's not the first time retail store only purchases have been done.

And there's so many Walmarts, Targets and EB Games in the US and Canada (well, not Target lol), most people live close enough to one of them.

Businesses don't want to sell consoles in stores because of incidents like the following.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
How hard would it be to use captcha and limit the pruchase to one item per account?

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
See Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs ? No need for the gov't to step in.

Yeah, no. Walmart can’t know the ones they didn’t stopped because theyaren’t even aware they are bots.

This is like when cops brag about a drug bust and dope keeps flowing in.

What you want to see is the effect it has on secondary markets. Right now on eBay if you search for ps5 and filter for items over 500$ there’s 10,000 auctions. Granted who knows how many are genuine but prerelease that same search yielded only 2,000 results.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah, no. Walmart can’t know the ones they didn’t stopped because theyaren’t even aware they are bots.

This is like when cops brag about a drug bust and dope keeps flowing in.

What you want to see is the effect it has on secondary markets. Right now on eBay if you search for ps5 and filter for items over 500$ there’s 10,000 auctions. Granted who knows how many are genuine but prerelease that same search yielded only 2,000 results.
Maybe if they could open up their stores and sell them the good ol' fashioned way it wouldn't be such an issue, but I guess we gotta get the gov't to fix problems caused by the gov't. 🤷‍♀️

Here is an example of retailers spending money / giving attention to the scalper issue (which they should) and the best you can do is handwave it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Maybe if they could open up their stores and sell them the good ol' fashioned way it wouldn't be such an issue, but I guess we gotta get the gov't to fix problems caused by the gov't. 🤷‍♀️

Here is an example of retailers spending money / giving attention to the scalper issue (which they should) and the best you can do is handwave it.

Even if they could, online is here to stay and some chains use their stores as fulfillment centers so those ps5 units would be removed from shelves anyway.

Effort is only valuable if it yields results.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Even if they could, online is here to stay and some chains use their stores as fulfillment centers so those ps5 units would be removed from shelves anyway.

Effort is only valuable if it yields results.
The results are in the title of the thread you're posting in.

So, unless you're gonna demand flawless results immediately, it appears a major retailer is addressing your concern of "responsibility" without needing the gov't to hold their hand. Onwards and upwards.

nush

Good bots can't be separated from regular orders.

They're full of shit.

If it was me looking at the data I'd cancel any order that did not include and add on sales of controllers or games. I'd be pretty confident that people with bots just scoop up solo consoles. Few false positives maybe, but as a company I'd make more money.

Even if they sold it in stores that would draw massive crowds and line ups which is what these stores want to avoid during covid.

Walmart is doing a great job here but these consoles will still be hard to come by until like April of next year.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The results are in the title of the thread you're posting in.

So, unless you're gonna demand flawless results immediately, it appears a major retailer is addressing your concern of "responsibility" without needing the gov't to hold their hand. Onwards and upwards.

I just explained you the situation at eBay which you conveniently are ignoring.

The corporation could be saving hundreds of thousands on IT costs (that they pass on to consumers) and the problem solved by the government but oh no, the power grab.

If it was me looking at the data I'd cancel any order that did not include and add on sales of controllers or games. I'd be pretty confident that people with bots just scoop up solo consoles. Few false positives maybe, but as a company I'd make more money.

Really bad logic. Most people I know order just the console.

Adding other shit to thr basket takes time, could be buggy or even if added first, many dont buy anything but the console.

I have never bought anything with it, as stuff I want is usually cheaper on different store.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I just explained you the situation at eBay which you conveniently are ignoring.

The corporation could be saving hundreds of thousands on IT costs (that they pass on to consumers) and the problem solved by the government but oh no, the power grab.
Won't something think of the corporations?! Pls save us government!!

nush

Really bad logic. Most people I know order just the console.

Adding other shit to thr basket takes time, could be buggy or even if added first, many dont buy anything but the console.

I have never bought anything with it, as stuff I want is usually cheaper on different store.

Bad logic my post addressed? "Few false positives maybe, but as a company I'd make more money. "

I’m not sure I necessarily believe this. When I was online trying to purchase the PS5, all I got was it’s out of stock whenever I tried add it to the cart. At least with the catastrophic Best Buy drop, I got to the cart screen eventually.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Does this officially settle the debate of how big the scalper/bot problem has become?

I still see a fair percentage of people arguing that Bots aren't a big portion of the perceived supply/demand problem.

It seems to me the evidence is growing that this is an unprecedented situation in which gamers are indeed being out-competed by Bots to some significant degree and that while demand for new consoles would be high and exacerbated by the pandemic (with more people staying in looking to upgrade consoles and GPUs), when we factor in Bots its just a crazy situation in which the ability to secure any given product right now is made several times harder than it should be.

This doesn't prove anything. It might actually prove bots are not a problem because most are being blocked. I looked at PS5 inventory on ebay last week ish. There were roughly 10k listings, some of which were fake, and 100k completed listings, many of which did not sell or were shill bid up and not paid for. But at worst that meant 100k units being scalped on ebay which should account for most.

While there have been no numbers on PS5 sales, it was stated that they are better than PS4. PS4 supposedly sold 1 million units in launch week in the US. The PS5 has been out for a month. I think we can assume they sold through 1 million units.

So ebay is less than 10% of total PS5 inventory. Craigslist, Amazon, Facebook other sites all have some scalped inventory so ebay numbers alone are not good enough, but my point is, if scalping bots is such a problem, why is ebay inventory so low? The units are not all selling out either. Many are BuyItNow priced higher than auctions.

It really looks like the big issue here is supply not meeting demand, not scalpers making a quick buck off of a minority fraction of the inventory. Do you have numbers that tell a different story?

Best Buy was selling units this week. They had everyone in their home store's region competing for 1 or 2 units for what appeared to be 2 or 3 opportunities. Best buy has a little less than 1000 stores. They were trying to sell what looked to be something like 5,000 systems. I live between Annapolis and Baltimore so I think the numbers I saw are a good average but for the sake of argument it could be more or less units. 5k is less than all the inventory on ebay and their site couldn't handle the traffic. Bots can't really help in that system but could account for some of the slowing down.

The market for a new PS5 in the US is enormous. Scalpers are taking some of the inventory and flipping it, but from what I can tell, that amount is safely less than 20%, probably less than 10%. The scalpers are buying them all narrative is driven by anecdotes and the desire to scapegoat someone.

nush

This doesn't prove anything. It might actually prove bots are not a problem because most are being blocked. I looked at PS5 inventory on ebay last week ish. There were roughly 10k listings, some of which were fake, and 100k completed listings, many of which did not sell or were shill bid up and not paid for. But at worst that meant 100k units being scalped on ebay which should account for most.

While there have been no numbers on PS5 sales, it was stated that they are better than PS4. PS4 supposedly sold 1 million units in launch week in the US. The PS5 has been out for a month. I think we can assume they sold through 1 million units.

So ebay is less than 10% of total PS5 inventory. Craigslist, Amazon, Facebook other sites all have some scalped inventory so ebay numbers alone are not good enough, but my point is, if scalping bots is such a problem, why is ebay inventory so low? The units are not all selling out either. Many are BuyItNow priced higher than auctions.

It really looks like the big issue here is supply not meeting demand, not scalpers making a quick buck off of a minority fraction of the inventory. Do you have numbers that tell a different story?

Best Buy was selling units this week. They had everyone in their home store's region competing for 1 or 2 units for what appeared to be 2 or 3 opportunities. Best buy has a little less than 1000 stores. They were trying to sell what looked to be something like 5,000 systems. I live between Annapolis and Baltimore so I think the numbers I saw are a good average but for the sake of argument it could be more or less units. 5k is less than all the inventory on ebay and their site couldn't handle the traffic. Bots can't really help in that system but could account for some of the slowing down.

The market for a new PS5 in the US is enormous. Scalpers are taking some of the inventory and flipping it, but from what I can tell, that amount is safely less than 20%, probably less than 10%. The scalpers are buying them all narrative is driven by anecdotes and the desire to scapegoat someone.

Good points made, but you're only looking at it from a US perspective. Bots and scalpers are a much bigger issue because over each generation people have learned about it that the information is more readily available.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Well put. The scapegoating is a major part of it. It drives clickbait headlines which is why journos are jumping all over the stories (it's not like they should be playing and reviewing videogames or anything....)

It’s basically a double edged sword. Deal with potential in store chaos like that or deal with bots, scalpers, insane prices created by scalpers, websites crashing, millions of people simultaneously hitting refresh online, delivery services stealing consoles, employees buying all the consoles, staying online all day waiting for rumored drops until your eyes burn out, etc. One you might get trampled over and the other is like winning the lottery.

Royal-Slime

Banned
A lot of people are complaining about Walmart but I got my PS5 from them. Literally had to wait and watch the phone notifications for almost a week... PS Direct - nothing, Best Buy - crashed immediately, Amazon - sells out in seconds, Gamestop - bundles with stuff I don't need and can't afford. Meanwhile Walmart had that drop and I got a Digital version without any issues - just launched the website on the time they promised to have a drop and got it. It was supposed to arrive late but they actually shipped it to me earlier. The console still works just fine and I'm not having any issues people are reporting. The only issue I have is sometimes games are stuck on the logo screen, for example Demon's Souls - I hit "Play", the image is full-screen but the game doesn't launch. Restarting the console usually fixes it.

Other than that, I'm having no issues. 30 hours on Demon's Souls, 10 hours on Mortal Kombat 11.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So last big drop on November 25th , Walmart blocked more than 20 million bot attempts to buy ps5 in 30 minutes till it was sold out. After that they also went though all the sold ones and canceled all the bots that got through their systems.

Good news is soon you can hopefully get your hands on one since they want to continue and track down hard on bots.

Excellent news, kudos to Walmart and thank you for posting this.

I used to buy a ton of stuff from Amazon but it has turned into a shit show in past few years and Walmart has really stepped up to take their place with great prices, very reliable free 2-day delivery and excellent customer service.

I buy more from Walmart than Amazon these days. This proactive stance on scalper scum makes me want to continue to buy more from them.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I got mine from Walmart and had no issues. Got it day and date, no delays, frequent emails on the status, couldn't have been happier with the service. Glad to see they're one of the few retailers actually doing something about the rampant bot situation.

Top Bottom