• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart Blocked 20 million Bot attempts in 30 min to buy ps5 on last drop

Fbh

Makes sense I guess, a highly demanded item right before Christmas must be scalper nirvana.

Good on wallmart I guess. Customers should complain to retailers and manufacturers. I doubt bots are impossible to stop, sounds more like most retailers just don't give a shit.

You do realize neither of those things matter for bots right?

They're both already in place anyway.

Why the hell am I still constantly asked to click on crosswalks and traffic lights or figure out illegible words (which I usually get wrong like 5 times in a row) if bots can just ingore it?

Last edited:

CthulhuPL

In my opinion this whole PS5 release is a grand disaster. Sony surely knew how many units they got and they should prevent this whole situation by doing lottery or something? It would limit the bot activity and hamper some scalpers.

Zog

Banned
At this point, they should not even allow any purchases online to make sure all stores some up with ways to stop bots. They just need to do store purchases only and one per customer.
Yep and that's what they should have done from the beginning.

Why the hell am I still constantly asked to click on crosswalks and traffic lights or figure out illegible words (which I usually get wrong like 5 times in a row) if bots can just ingore it?
Yeah the picture captchas just kill me.

Last edited:

Genx3

Why didn't Walmart hand out tickets as soon as people got there so that there would be less confusion?
The fact Walmart waited until there were more than 12 people is the problem.
Hand out tickets in order as soon as people get there and they would avoid a lot of the problems.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In my opinion this whole PS5 release is a grand disaster. Sony surely knew how many units they got and they should prevent this whole situation by doing lottery or something? It would limit the bot activity and hamper some scalpers.

I thought Sony should have used Sony Direct more. They only allow one per household, and you have to be logged into your valid PSN account with saved payment data and a verified email address to even order. But they seem to stock it so little and infrequently:

Holding back a few million from retailers and only selling to their longtime customers would have been a great "for the gamers" move. Instead they leave it up to places like Target and Best Buy who couldn't have even been bothered with barebones anti-botting measures.

Jeeves

Maybe the best move is just to do in-store purchases on launch day, one per customer, and have a patrol car stationed in the parking lot.

I mean the ideal solution is just for everyone to have self control and stop buying from scalpers, but

Zog

Banned
I mean the ideal solution is just for everyone to have self control and stop buying from scalpers, but
I like how you put the blame on consumers here. No one can buy from scalpers if scalpers don’t do their thing first.

I like how you put the blame on consumers here. No one can buy from scalpers if scalpers don’t do their thing first.

I don't really blame the scalpers either. Buying cheap and selling high is the oldest business practice around.

It is on Sony/Microsoft and the retailers to find a way to keep this from happening if they deem it a problem. And if they don't deem it a problem, THAT is who you should be angred the most with.

Cravis

They stopped these bots? Wal Mart....

BdBc6IE.gif

Zog

Banned
I don't really blame the scalpers either. Buying cheap and selling high is the oldest business practice around.
It's just capitalism, yeah? <rolls eyes>

It is on Sony/Microsoft and the retailers to find a way to keep this from happening if they deem it a problem. And if they don't deem it a problem, THAT is who you should be angred the most with.

I do blame the companies allowing online ordering in the first place but at the top of the list I blame the scalpers taking advantage. It's like a thief taking advantage of an unlocked door.
Yeah, I shouldn't be upset with the people causing the actual problem. <more eye rolling>

kiphalfton

You forgot to mention that they also stopped genuine buyers from buying as well.

Let's not confuse incompetence and crappy web design for something else (i.e. "whoa they are actively blocking bots").

Zog

Banned
You forgot to mention that they also stopped genuine buyers from buying as well.

Let's not confuse incompetence and crappy web design for something else (i.e. "whoa they are actively blocking bots").
Luckily genuine buyers can go into a store and buy one, bots can't.

Jeeves

And scalpers wouldn't do their thing if they weren't enabled by consumers. That's just facts. You don't have to like it. I don't like it.

baphomet

They either solve them immediately, bypass it, or it's sent to a captcha farm where someone solves it nearly immediately for them.

dolabla

Walmart has been killing it. Between this and brand new game releases being $10 cheaper than everywhere else.

Reactions: Zog

UnNamed

Banned
That's already how it's done.

You realize they can automatically produce a one time use disposable card number at the time of purchase.
Didn't know you can produce disposable cards
But I think you can block this type of cards since some shop or service already block debit cards for example, so I think it's not impossible.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Good. Maybe moving forward they'll take the problem more seriously now that they see how big it is.

baphomet

Didn't know you can produce disposable cards
But I think you can block this type of cards since some shop or service already block debit cards, so I think it's not impossible.

They're your standard prepaid Visa/MasterCard numbers. They cant block them.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Is then why is ps5s selling at much higher price on ebay. Ps5 had alot more stock yet it is in much higher demand. Ms need to get thire shit together
MS is selling everything they ship. It took me over a month to find an XSX. Hell, even the Series S sells out just as quickly.

Jeeves

Drug Dealers are to blame?
Drug Buyers are to blame?
Both are to blame?
That's not what we're talking about.

I don't know what you want from me dude. You want me to say "scalping is bad"? Yeah, it's a disgusting practice, and a monster that was created by the consumers who continue to enable it. I don't have anything else to say on the matter.

Zog

Banned
I don't know what you want from me dude.
Yes you do.

You want me to say "scalping is bad"?
Only if you believe it.

Yeah, it's a disgusting practice,
Of course it is.

and a monster that was created by the consumers who continue to enable it.
Created by consumers?

You don't seem to understand the order of things. FIRST the scalper has to put the product up for sale at a greatly increased markup. ONLY then can someone buy it from the scalper. What would happen without the scalper?

Last edited:

Jeeves

What would happen without the scalper?
The same thing that would happen without the enabler: the product would not be sold at a marked up price. It takes two to tango.

You seem like you think I'm pro-scalper because I'm able to acknowledge that the consumers aren't blameless in this. That's pretty silly.

Zog

Banned
The same thing that would happen without the enabler: the product would not be sold at a marked up price. It takes two to tango.
Well actually with the scalpers and without the consumers the scalpers would still be buying up lots of stock. Without the scalper the stock would be on store shelves and then consumers could buy it at MSRP. No consumer WANTS to pay the huge markup.
You seem like you think I'm pro-scalper because I'm able to acknowledge that the consumers aren't blameless in this. That's pretty silly.
What's silly is that you go out of your way to blame consumers FIRST and FOREMOST and say nothing about the scalpers until you are pushed on it.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Well actually with the scalpers and without the consumers the scalpers would still be buying up lots of stock. Without the scalper the stock would be on store shelves and then consumers could buy it at MSRP. No consumer WANTS to pay the huge markup.
The scalpers are buying lots of stock because the consumers have consistently taught them that they will buy scalped stuff. Hence enabling giving way to the 'monster' that scalping has become.

What's silly is that you go out of your way to blame consumers FIRST and FOREMOST and say nothing about the scalpers until you are pushed on it.
Should I also say that the sky is blue in every post I make, just to avoid someone jumping down my throat about something obvious?

Have you bought scalped stuff before or something? Is that why you're so defensive about the people who give scalpers money they don't deserve?

Jeeves

Nah not me but that doesn't make me dislike scalpers any less.
We have that in common. What we don't have in common is the level of sympathy we have towards people who do stupid shit without thinking about long-term consequences.

Zog

Banned
We have that in common. What we don't have in common is the level of sympathy we have towards people who do stupid shit without thinking about long-term consequences.
I just think the consumers who pay those prices would prefer to buy it at MSRP at a reputable retail outlet if they could. If scalpers took 1000 consoles off of store shelves, that's 1000 people who can't buy it at MSRP.

NinjaBoiX

There comes a point when you just need to have a word with yourself, it’s just a plastic box with some chips and wires inside it. Just wait a couple of months, what’s wrong with you’re grown ass adult self?

This shit is embarrassing.

Jeeves

I just think the consumers who pay those prices would prefer to buy it at MSRP at a reputable retail outlet if they could. If scalpers took 1000 consoles off of store shelves, that's 1000 people who can't buy it at MSRP.
But they can buy it at MSRP from a reputable retailer, if they're patient. And they should. They should have done it last gen too, and the gen before.

If everyone stopped buying second-hand products at or above MSRP, scalpers would panic and be forced to try to sell at a loss. And they would be much less likely to repeat the behavior next time something launches. Ultimately it's not any more realistic to expect the masses to stop being short-sighted than it is to expect scalpers to stop being scumbags, so now we live in a reality where launch day is not actually launch day for most people, and it sucks.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's not what we're talking about.

I don't know what you want from me dude. You want me to say "scalping is bad"? Yeah, it's a disgusting practice, and a monster that was created by the consumers who continue to enable it. I don't have anything else to say on the matter.
He is literally comparing drug addicts and dealers to Timmy getting a Ps5. So yeah...

Ngl, i'm really happy with Walmart. Managed to get the Series X 2 days ago, and now the PS5 and Xbox Series S today. Heck.. the Series S has been in stocked for 4 hours today... hhaha.

Top Bottom