• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to upgrade my gaming PC but...

MacReady13

Hello all.

As the thread title suggests, I want to upgrade my current gaming rig (i7 4970k and gtx 980) up to a rtx 2070s/2080s and just waiting on the new Intel CPU's due in November.

My concern is the new consoles next year... Am I wasting my time upgrading now or is it better to wait a little? Maybe for new RTX cards next year? I understand we don't know proper specs for ps5 or next xbox but it's not like i'm spending a small amount! I'm not exactly tech savvy but just don't want to waste a small fortune to see my rig not being able to blow away next gen consoles.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Stuart360

I have a similar PC (I5-6600K, 980ti) and we both could probably run next gen games at 1080p/30fps, maybe 1440p/30fps, but 60fps will be out of the window at console or better settings.
If you want the advantage you have now (1080p+, 60fps+), you will need to upgrade. At least the gpu. I would probably have to upgrade cpu as well as mine is only 4cores, although i dont mind 30fps if i have to.

MacReady13

I probably should have added i'm playing on a 4k tv, but i'm happy to get 1440p with ray tracing at 60fps. I just feel like if I wait for the next GPU, I may as wait for the "super" version. And that's my concern- is biting the bullet now on these SUPER cards too early?

Kenpachii

I probably should have added i'm playing on a 4k tv, but i'm happy to get 1440p with ray tracing at 60fps. I just feel like if I wait for the next GPU, I may as wait for the "super" version. And that's my concern- is biting the bullet now on these SUPER cards too early?

Wouldn't bother upgrading to be honest. If you play at 1440-4k u are better of just upgrading your gpu now and wait until consoles come out to push a new motherboard + cpu that will last u for a long time. as i can see the cores double next revision.

Also raytracing is in a really early stage at this point, 2000 series cards won't hold up well in new raytracing titles, they already struggle massively currently in any title to hold even 1080p and 60 fps. Doesn't bode well for future titles and that's if nvidia raytracing becomes a or the standard. If you really want raytracing and higher resolutions u will have to wait for next generation.

4k in newer titles is also going to struggle on any card on the market, specially as even top end gpu's struggle to maintain 60 fps on even 1440p in newer titles.

So yea, current market isn't that great to be honest.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well next gen games will be targeting 4k, so yeah a 2080 Super or better will be more than enough. You would probably need a 2080ti to run a next gen game at 4k/60. A 2080 Super would easily do 1440p/1620p/1800p/60. Most next gen games on console will probably still be 30fps, so you wont have to upgrade to a stupid level to match and exceed them.

A.Romero

I saw some benchmarks earlier today where a 2060 Super offered close to 60FPS on Metro with Raytracing Ultra Settings. Just Barely.

I think your set up or mine (1070 TI) is not enough for current gen games with raytracing enabled.

The year is almost over and I'd expect to see new products in the first half of next year. Next Gen consoles are not coming out until the end of next year. I'd say don't update or update thinking it's just a transitional configuration.

Just to clarify: I'm saying this based on current performance of raytracing enabled games. Consoles will not be as powerful as a 2020 mid end GPU but as always, some games may offer surprisingly good results with lower tier hardware (consoles).

amigastar

I have an I7 2600k and a GTX 970 and i'm planning to upgrade end of 2020 so i will make sure my new PC will be on same level as new consoles. So i would wait but thats just me.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Wait for black Friday sales and get the best you can afford and be done with it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but when it comes to tech, especially computer tech, there is always something better around the corner. If you wait new hardware and you get it there will be something else new right around the corner. Waiting on pc upgrades is a fool's errand.

Upgrade your pc and enjoy it. When ps5 comes out buy one of those and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of games of all types.

Justin9mm

I think the coming next generation of consoles will be the closest generation to PC we have ever seen. I think these new consoles will be able to do Dynamic 4K 60fps easy if the developer so chooses with the pixel count being at the higher end. You'd be spending a lot more on your PC then the new console. I think it comes down to preference. You already game on a 4K TV.. I would say you'd be getting pretty much similar experience on the console without breaking bank. If money is not an issue and you prefer PC Customisation then upgrade your PC. We have no idea what Ray Tracing will look like on consoles. I have a feeling though that Xbox and PS5 performance is really going to bring it this time round.

Kenpachii

I think the coming next generation of consoles will be the closest generation to PC we have ever seen. I think these new consoles will be able to do Dynamic 4K 60fps easy if the developer so chooses with the pixel count being at the higher end. You'd be spending a lot more on your PC then the new console. I think it comes down to preference. You already game on a 4K TV.. I would say you'd be getting pretty much similar experience on the console without breaking bank. If money is not an issue and you prefer PC Customisation then upgrade your PC. We have no idea what Ray Tracing will look like on consoles. I have a feeling though that Xbox and PS5 performance is really going to bring it this time round.

Dude next gen consoles are using budget pc parts the moment they come out. Barely interesting.

Only impact it has is that u probably need the core counts and that's about it. Which makes it interesting to wait on next row of AMD CPU's and Intel as core counts probably will double from what we got now which will make it really well future proof.

Raytracing currently is a mess and frankly any new game that pushes hardware has lots of trouble even on a 2080s/2070s to hit the 60 fps stable on 1440p let alone when u look at raytracing and that will get a lot worse with next generation around the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 888

Justin9mm

Dude next gen consoles are using budget pc parts the moment they come out. Barely interesting.

Only impact it has is that u probably need the core counts and that's about it.
Sorry I fail to see any argument here? What's your point? Are you saying the new consoles won't do what I said? The Xbox One X already does this buddy! You must be new!

Edit: And those so called budget PC parts would perform worse in a PC because most AAA games are developed for console and optimisation is where the magic comes from. I'm not saying console is better, of course PC performance should you have the hardware will always be superior. But majority of PC gamers don't game with the latest and greatest and the difference in your gaming experience will be very similar.

So that's fine you spend loads of dollars trying to get those extra fps at 1440p+ Res.. I'll sit back on my 75 inch 4K OLED TV @ Dynamic 4K HDR 60fps on my console that cost around $500-$600

Last edited:

I had a 4670k with a 970. Then got a 1070. Then I built a whole different rig. If you aren’t doing high frame rate gaming I would say just grab a cheap 1070 ti or something until you are ready for a full blown upgrade. I have two systems with 2070 supers and 9700k/8700ks. You would get a massive upgrade from the 970 but there is always better cards. If you don’t care too much for rtx then get the 20xx super cards and don’t expect much from them RTX wise but if it really interests you wait a year or two. I saw a massive jump from the 4670k and the 2400 i5 systems i had. I’ll upload the 3D mark benchmarks between them so you can see numbers from 4th gen i5 with a 1070. So a little worse cpu but a better gpu than you are running to get an idea how big a spread it is

my 4670k has been relegated to my home theater on my 4K tv But running 1080p 120hz(native) with a 1070.

On the 9700k I now have like 22k score on the benchmark.

I would say upgrade the cpu since the next series of Intel Desktop cpu is up in the air. You could do a Ryzen System if you want something a tad cheaper but I did the pricing and it was only a 30 dollar difference since I didn’t want to air cool with the stock cooler (R3 2700x vs 9700k). The gpu may be worth waiting until next year to see what these new cards will be like but I have no regrets for the 2070 super at 1440p 144hz.
ufTtaxW.jpg

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm upgrading this year. I won't have the budget to do so next year with the new hardware.

Kenpachii

Sorry I fail to see any argument here? What's your point? Are you saying the new consoles won't do what I said? The Xbox One X already does this buddy! You must be new!

Edit: And those so called budget PC parts would perform worse in a PC because most AAA games are developed for console and optimisation is where the magic comes from. I'm not saying console is better, of course PC performance should you have the hardware will always be superior. But majority of PC gamers don't game with the latest and greatest and the difference in your gaming experience will be very similar.

So that's fine you spend loads of dollars trying to get those extra fps at 1440p+ Res.. I'll sit back on my 75 inch 4K OLED TV @ Dynamic 4K HDR 60fps on my console that cost around $500-$600

if you don't know how hardware works on PC or generations work with PC or what your own hardware even does. Better not advice people.

Anyway it's clear out of your reaction u honestly lack knowledge.

And about your 4k and 60 fps bullshit, go boot up control and tell me how that 4k 60 fps is going for you.

Last edited:

bucyou

How many times can you parrot "dynamic 4k"? you know Sony made up the term, right?

ElectricWeepyAppaloosa-size_restricted.gif

Personally. Once you go 60+ you don’t easily go back. Playing most everything at high framerates is way more important that resolution to me. Shit I have my one pc running at 1080p 120hz because that tv supports a true high refresh panel vs the native 4K/60 that I can match with lowered settings.

the new consoles will still push for that eye candy(Sony for sure, MS has talked high frame rate already) at 30fps.

some people are perfectly fine playing on a console since most don’t know any different. I have converted most everyone that games on my 144hz monitor off console gaming. If the consoles can “match” that all the better.

But ultimately PC is more expensive to start with but has versatility a console could never have with cheap games to follow vs cheap buy in with very few options and paid subs and generally higher cost in games over the life of a gen.

To each his own but consoles won’t “match” Pc because they are apples and oranges.

I would certainly hope these new consoles won’t have to do dynamic scaling.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Personally. Once you go 60+ you don’t easily go back. Playing most everything at high framerates is way more important that resolution to me. Shit I have my one pc running at 1080p 120hz because that tv supports a true high refresh panel vs the native 4K/60 that I can match with lowered settings.

the new consoles will still push for that eye candy(Sony for sure, MS has talked high frame rate already) at 30fps.

some people are perfectly fine playing on a console since most don’t know any different. I have converted most everyone that games on my 144hz monitor off console gaming. If the consoles can “match” that all the better.

But ultimately PC is more expensive to start with but has versatility a console could never have with cheap games to follow vs cheap buy in with very few options and paid subs and generally higher cost in games over the life of a gen.

To each his own but consoles won’t “match” Pc because they are apples and oranges.

I would certainly hope these new consoles won’t have to do dynamic scaling.

If you buy smart PC isn't even remotely expensive really. But anyway this was mine progress.

jdBnu3u.png

( the right one should have been a single 290, but for some reason comparison messed up, so yea there's that )

Went from 580 gtx > 290 because v-ram. then 2x 290's then 970 and eventually a 1080 ti, probably will keep this thing for a couple of years.

Bought the i7 870 for 320 euro's in 2009 i think lasted me a decade at 60+ fps gaming. Covered 2 console gens really and multiple console releases and would still be used today if it wasn't for my need for high fps gaming.

Also i find your 2070 super performing a bit lowish on the score solution. Maybe u use a different version as me, but u should get about the same as my ti i think.

Last edited:

If you buy smart PC isn't even remotely expensive really. But anyway this was mine progress.

jdBnu3u.png

( the right one should have been a single 290, but for some reason comparison messed up, so yea there's that )

Went from 580 gtx > 290 because v-ram. then 2x 290's then 970 and eventually a 1080 ti, probably will keep this thing for a couple of years.

Bought the i7 870 for 320 euro's in 2009 i think lasted me a decade at 60+ fps gaming. Covered 2 console gens really and multiple console releases and would still be used today if it wasn't for my need for high fps gaming.

Also i find your 2070 super performing a bit lowish on the score solution. Maybe u use a different version as me, but u should get about the same as my ti i think.

i have since overclocked the 2070 super a bit higher. That was right before I built out this other system and then I started to push the overclocks a bit. I’m pretty conservative on them.

below is the 9700k vs 8700k. I think I may have had the OC during this run.

PC building is cheaper if you already have some stuff to reuses. All my drives, monitor etc I rolled over and then push down parts to my other rigs. Once you’re in the game and just passing down stuff it’s not expensive at all.

edit: the 2080 super I believe was more in line with the 1080ti if I remember benchmarks properly.

just looked at benchmarks really quick. 1080ti was better at 1080p but 2070 super pulled ahead in 1440P and up. But that was only a few benchmarks. The firestrike benchmark is 1080p until you go to the upgraded firestrike.

also side note. My buddy has an 8700k and a 1080ti and got 25k on this test. I think the test favors the 1080ti for sure.

osRSMZx.jpg

Last edited:

Soltype

I'd wait just a bit.If it's like this gen a top tier card from the console launch should last you at console settings.

Justin9mm

if you don't know how hardware works on PC or generations work with PC or what your own hardware even does. Better not advice people.

Anyway it's clear out of your reaction u honestly lack knowledge.

And about your 4k and 60 fps bullshit, go boot up control and tell me how that 4k 60 fps is going for you.
Just because I didn't provide a technical answer in my original post or my response to you doesn't mean I have no idea just because you say so mate. I have a mid tier gaming PC, I'm not console only but the money you invest in a PC is a lot compared to the performance capabilities of the new generation consoles.

If they are so shit, then the OP would not be bringing it up in his question about upgrading his PC.. What does that tell you?

And as far as Control... You just cherry picked a game that is in fact not optimised well that obviously does in fact show that the current console hardware is not up to snuff. My so called 4K 60fps 'bullshit' was referring to the new generation consoles. Sorry, I didn't realise you've already seen Control run on one of the new consoles, I can't tell how it;s going for me because I don't have one!

Edit: I mentioned Dynamic 4K 60fps being already done on X to prove that with the leap in power from this gen to next gen, it will be easily achieved. Why would they bring out a new generation of console that cannot do this. We all know what type of hardware is in it, but you got no idea how it is all going to work together. You're discounting something that no one has even seen. You're very ignorant.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
Man, I dont know why console gamers always do the same thing to themselves, every generation.

Muh $400 console gonna be as powerful as a 2k PC with sli. Mmmm hmmm.

You guys hype yourselves every time, and then end up disappointed.

Last time it was the same thing. Itll be better than 780ti in sli! Praise Cerny! magic sauce! Pc gaming is dead....

And then a budget 750ti beats or matches the performance of a ps4 for like the first 3 years if its life in most games. Its not until games really start taking advantage of the large frame buffer that 750ti cant compete, but the ps4 never gets close to the 770 or 780 in perfirmance, and now the most popular gpu is 2 generations newer.

Itll be the same shit this time around. AMDs ray tracing solution won't compete with nvidias now, nevermind what comes next, and the performance off the bat wont beat a mid tier modern gpu.

Sony isnt going to put an 800 dollar GPU and 350 cpu into your 400 dollar console

Last edited:

sendit

Next gen graphic intensive games are gonna obliterate all PC hardware of today, the leap is just huge.

Possibly. However, I'm sure whatever card Nvidia releases next year will obliterate what is in either the PS5 or the XBox2X192X212X2.

Justin9mm

Man, I dont know why console gamers always do the same thing to themselves, every generation.

Last time it was the same thing. Itll be better than 780ti in sli! Praise Cerny! magic sauce! Pc gaming is dead....

And then a budget 750ti beats or matches the performance of a ps4 for like the first 3 years if its life in most games. Its not until games really start taking advantage of the large frame buffer that 750ti cant compete, but the ps4 never gets close to the 770 or 780 in perfirmance, and now the most popular gpu is 2 generations newer.

Itll be the same shit this time around. AMDs ray tracing solution won't compete with nvidias now, nevermind what comes next, and the performance off the bat wont beat a mid tier modern gpu.

You're right and I agree with everything you said except the part of it being the same this time around. PC will always be superior but the gap will be the closest it's ever been.

Leonidas

As the thread title suggests, I want to upgrade my current gaming rig (i7 4970k and gtx 980) up to a rtx 2070s/2080s and just waiting on the new Intel CPU's due in November.

Now is a great time to upgrade. 2070/2080 Super are only 3 months old and most likely higher performance than any 2020 next-gen console in both traditional and Ray Tracing graphics.

Yes, better stuff is coming some time next year (and the year after that, ad infinitum) but those items are not coming any time soon. There has never been a better time to get into high end PC gaming than right now.

Reactions: 888

bitbydeath

Sony isnt going to put an 800 dollar GPU and 350 cpu into your 400 dollar console

I don’t think anyone is expecting a $400 console this time around given what is already known.

lukilladog

Possibly. However, I'm sure whatever card Nvidia releases next year will obliterate what is in either the PS5 or the XBox2X192X212X2.

Still I think those cards are gonna struggle a bit with next gen, the days of Nvidia using new nodes to blow away pc gamers are over IMO.

I don’t think anyone is expecting a $400 console this time around given what is already known.

I do. I think there is not gonna be any big SSD in there, just a bunch of nand chips used as storage buffer, to keep costs in check.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I do. I think there is not gonna be any big SSD in there, just a bunch of nand chips used as storage buffer, to keep costs in check.

Yeah, it’s expected to be a custom solution since they’re claiming it’ll be faster than SSD. The GPU however will also be quite pricey.

sendit

Still I think those cards are gonna struggle a bit with next gen, the days of Nvidia using new nodes to blow away pc gamers are over IMO.

Highly doubt your assumptions. The 780 Ti was the top of the line Nvidia GPU released in 2013, the same time PS4 and XB1 came out. For more context, the PS4 GPU was rated at 1.8TFLOPS, the 780TI is pushing close to 6TFLOPS

One of the main reasons you aren't seeing what these current PC graphic cards are capable of is because developers are developing for the lowest common denominator, which is the XB1.

Last edited:
I have a similar PC (I5-6600K, 980ti) and we both could probably run next gen games at 1080p/30fps, maybe 1440p/30fps, but 60fps will be out of the window at console or better settings.
If you want the advantage you have now (1080p+, 60fps+), you will need to upgrade. At least the gpu. I would probably have to upgrade cpu as well as mine is only 4cores, although i dont mind 30fps if i have to.
I don't think either the i5-6600K, nor the i7-4790K are going to be worrying about being able to keep up at 60FPS any time soon. They're a little light in the core count these days but they make up for it with the clock speed. The 980 and 980ti probably aren't going to really struggle for a while yet either. In a title here or there (probably mostly Ubisoft), sure, but across the board? Nah.

I'm calling it now: The next-gen consoles aren't going to be a giant leap. Sure, they talk the big talk in all the marketing and PR shit, but ultimately money is king and they can't deliver on all their promises at the $500 price point, it's simply not possible, not without selling each unit at a massive loss. And if it's not a giant leap then PC versions will continue to be held back and able to run on "old" hardware.

Max_Po

Banned
I have an i7 8700k @ 4.9 ghz and 32 gig on RAM.

and NO Video Card ... other than the crappola Intel 620 or 630...

Looks like I am the real winrar here @@@@

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

What a waste on that good screen

sendit

I don't think either the i5-6600K, nor the i7-4790K are going to be worrying about being able to keep up at 60FPS any time soon. They're a little light in the core count these days but they make up for it with the clock speed. The 980 and 980ti probably aren't going to really struggle for a while yet either. In a title here or there (probably mostly Ubisoft), sure, but across the board? Nah.

I'm calling it now: The next-gen consoles aren't going to be a giant leap. Sure, they talk the big talk in all the marketing and PR shit, but ultimately money is king and they can't deliver on all their promises at the $500 price point, it's simply not possible, not without selling each unit at a massive loss. And if it's not a giant leap then PC versions will continue to be held back and able to run on "old" hardware.

The leap in terms of graphics will be substantial enough, and the difference will be noticeable visible. If rumors are true. We are talking about developers pushing what they can do with ~2080 RTX level of gpu.

The leap in terms of graphics will be substantial enough, and the difference will be noticeable visible. If rumors are true. We are talking about developers pushing what they can do with ~2080 RTX level of gpu.
That's not gonna happen. The 2080 alone is $699. They're not going to sell you a $700 GPU in a $500 box. Besides which AMD is providing the CPU and GPUs for the consoles and AMD hasn't been competitive at the high-end of the GPU market for nearly half a decade.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That's not gonna happen. The 2080 alone is $699. They're not going to sell you a $700 GPU in a $500 box. Besides which AMD is providing the CPU and GPUs for the consoles and AMD hasn't been competitive at the high-end of the GPU market for nearly half a decade.

That’s consumer pricing you’re going off. Sony and MS buy these by the millions which earns them a substantial cut.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If blowing away next-gen consoles is your main priority the problem isn't your timing, it is your attitude.

Fuck worrying about consoles. Either your PC is getting the job done to your satisfaction today or it needs an upgrade, the sooner the better. Whatever time you spend gaming on substandard hardware can't be replaced. There's always faster/cheaper around the corner, regardless of when you buy.

FWIW, nextgen consoles aren't going to outdo what a top of the line PC does today. They simply can't while still being competitive within their own segment of the market. The money they save on economies of scale with respect to purchasing components is offset by the absolutely gigantic overhead involved with maintaining their walled gardens.

Another insurmountable challenge is the constraints they face with respect to form factor. If the 360 had been the size of a pc mid-tower RROD probably wouldn't have existed. You simply can't pack as much power in half the volume and adequately cool it, particularly when a large portion of your audience are kids who will think nothing of sticking their console somewhere with no airflow on a piece of shag carpeting.

Last edited:
That’s consumer pricing you’re going off. Sony and MS buy these by the millions which earns them a substantial cut.
Not enough of a cut to make them insane enough to effectively sell a GPU for less than a quarter of what it's worth. The last time Sony tried that it was called the PS3 and it was still masiively expensive (for a console), nobody bought it, adoption was slow, and it took them about 5 years to even start turning a net profit on the damn thing.
It's not gonna happen.

bitbydeath

Not enough of a cut to make them insane enough to effectively sell a GPU for less than a quarter of what it's worth. The last time Sony tried that it was called the PS3 and it was still masiively expensive (for a console), nobody bought it, adoption was slow, and it took them about 5 years to even start turning a net profit on the damn thing.
It's not gonna happen.

Yeah but that was $2000 worth of product crammed into a $600 box.

That won’t happen again.
$1000-1500 is possible, $1500 obviously being on the very high-end.

CPU should be fine, It's the GPU that might need the upgrade. If my 980Ti can't run RDR2 at a decent frame rate I might upgrade after Christmas ready for CryberPunk

llien

RTX in current game cards as major selling point is close to scam levels.

Limiting yourself to blue (series of troubles from broken security to fab problems) and green (stinky business practices and unhealthy greed) is not the most effective way of spending money.

PS4 GPU was rated at 1.8TFLOPS, the 780TI is pushing close to 6TFLOPS
780Ti is roughly two times faster than 7870-ish GPU in PS4. Not 3-4 times as your tflops figure would suggest.
And we are talking about times when next gen beating previous gen by 30-40% was "meh".

Dude next gen consoles are using budget pc parts
8 core Zen (confirmed) and at least 1080 level card (likely more) in PS5.
Budget PC parts are these not.

Last time I've checked steam hardware review, most people were gaming on Intel's HD crap.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hello all.

My concern is the new consoles next year... Am I wasting my time upgrading now or is it better to wait a little? Maybe for new RTX cards next year? I understand we don't know proper specs for ps5 or next xbox but it's not like i'm spending a small amount! I'm not exactly tech savvy but just don't want to waste a small fortune to see my rig not being able to blow away next gen consoles.

CPU: get either a Intel 9900K or AMD 3700X. Either of these 8 core cpus will get you through next gen. the 3700X is cheaper/slower. if you want the absolute best gaming CPU then get a 9900K. I think the 3700X can only do about 4.1/4.2Ghz across all cores whereas you can easily get a 9900K to do 5.0Ghz across all cores. Mines can do 5.1Ghz without breaking a sweat.

regarding intel. i would seriously consider getting a 9900K instead of waiting. the new CPUs are rumored to be 10 cores and if you think the 9900K runs hot then just wait until you see a 10900K. The TDP will go from 95W to 125W! That's higher than a 3700X which is 105W. Also, these CPU's will still be 14nm so you're not really gonna get a significant performance boost. maybe in multicore/threaded but 10 cores is overkill for gaming. Intel are skipping 10nm CPUs on desktop and won't have 7nm (don't confuse this with AMD 7nm) out until 2022! So yeah I think the 9900K is probably the best Intel cpu to buy. I would NOT recommend waiting for new ones or buying an Intel CPU until 2022!

if you want to go AMD then it might be worth waiting for the new CPUs coming next year as they will be closer to Intel in gaming performance.

RAM: don't go with 16GB. games can easily use 10-13GB these days. 16GB is the minimum for budget builds. You want 32GB. If you go with AMD cpu then you need one that is ideally 3600Mhz with a good latency. If you get an Intel CPU you don't really need to worry what specs the RAM is. just get the capacity you want and the fast speed you can afford. I have 3200 CL16 RAM on my PC but run it at 2933 CL15. For AMD 3200 CL16 is the minimum. Gaming performance is heavily tied to RAM speed with AMD. On intel it doesn't really matter.

GPU: buy the best GPU you can get. I would recommend at least a 2070 Super. I have a 2080 and very happy with it. If you want to be playing at 4K next gen then I doubt even a 2080 Ti will be enough so best wait and see if Nvidia bring any new card out before next gen consoles. Don't even bother thinking about getting an AMD GPU.

eh, i'll believe this when i'll see it.
Isn't the GPU in next gen meant to be similar to a Vega 56 (or was it 64?).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Upgrading anything now would be a suicide - next year we're getting new consoles, which will as always change everything. 8 physical cores are a given, so you can already prepare yourself here, but the rest is unknown, and who knows, maybe with the new baseline the AMDs CPUs/GPUs will be finally put into effective use, and they will become a valid gaming proposition.

As fo PC alone, you basically plan to change entire platform, so even further reason to wait at least one more year - 10nm Intel CPUs, 7nm NV GPUs, DDR5, PCIE4, HDMI2.1, USB4, USB-C becoming more and more common, the list goes on and on with the tech arriving in 2020.

If you're really eager to spend some money right now, do yourself a favor and get an adaptive-sync display, it'll bring second life into your 980, literally, and will also serve you well with your future PC. The second option is an SSD, no explanation needed here I believe. Both of the options significantly improve the daily usage, without improving the actual processing power at all.

Justin9mm

People keep saying that they are not going to cram $1000 GPU into the console etc. but you're missing the point here.. It doesn't need to because most games are developed for console and optimized. How do you think they squeezed that performance juice out of such old tech in the current generation!? And If it weren't for the console market, you wouldn't have shit on PC because where do you think developers get most of their money from? That's right console sales! For example even CDPR stated without console you wouldn't of got Witcher 3.

So instead of trash talking two new consoles that aren't even released yet, be thankful that gaming has advanced because of them!

Hello all.

Wait for Ampere GPU. Currently AMD holds the Crown on CPU, but personally I’d wait for next year to upgrade to their top tier CPU lineup. That is unless you want to wait for intel’s 11th gen 7nm CPU lineup in 2022.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I did upgraded from my 2500k build.
x570, 3700x, rtx2070, 16gb ram, nvme drives only. 2kusd build total (with 4k monitor)
And I don't use it that much really but everything I run is smooth. Even at 4k. EDF 5 and 4.1 coop at 4k was pretty neat and sharp... but can't say I played much more. 200usd ps4 slim and old 360 are surely getting more usage.
Nowadays, PC is only for enhtusiasts. I think it costs a lot more than it used to be and it's more troublesome. My 3700x boots for 30 seconds and it is apparently normal while my 2500k launched in half of that time.
in short - building a gaming pc is barely worth it these days. I cannot imagine NOT having a gaming pc but I kinda game more on a console in recent years. I find myself using 4k monitor and this nice pc mostly to replay old games on pc at 4k maxed settings and marvel at the results.

Lister

Banned
I did upgraded from my 2500k build.
x570, 3700x, rtx2070, 16gb ram, nvme drives only. 2kusd build total (with 4k monitor)
And I don't use it that much really but everything I run is smooth. Even at 4k. EDF 5 and 4.1 coop at 4k was pretty neat and sharp... but can't say I played much more. 200usd ps4 slim and old 360 are surely getting more usage.
Nowadays, PC is only for enhtusiasts. I think it costs a lot more than it used to be and it's more troublesome. My 3700x boots for 30 seconds and it is apparently normal while my 2500k launched in half of that time.
in short - building a gaming pc is barely worth it these days. I cannot imagine NOT having a gaming pc but I kinda game more on a console in recent years. I find myself using 4k monitor and this nice pc mostly to replay old games on pc at 4k maxed settings and marvel at the results.

Lol your pc boots in 30 seconds? Count your blessing, how many minutes does it take a ps4 to load witcher 3 after dying? Ha!

Top Bottom