• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanted: Dead |OT| Ex-Team Ninja Gun Fu

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just started playing (was on sale for $50 at Amazon) and wow....😂 what is this voice acting?? Why does the Captain look like a low rent Danny Glover with a blonde perm? 😅

I love high action quirky games like these. It's definitely inspired by Ninja Gaiden and Astral Chain with a hint of Deadly Premonition for those good ol "Wtf vibes". My only real complaint is it crashed on me twice in the first level...hopefully not a sign of things to come
Pro tip #1: after you buy some move upgrades at a save spot, check the weapon customization menu and it triggers a save so you don't have to do it again if you die.

The voice acting is amazing lol. By the time I beat the game a few times I loved the whole team. I didnt have any game crashes on XSS so hopefully that is rare for you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The recent gamespot 6/10 games video has me interested in checking this game out. Seems like this generation's Deadly Premonition.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The recent gamespot 6/10 games video has me interested in checking this game out. Seems like this generation's Deadly Premonition.

It's 38 eurodollars right now on the PS and xbox store if you're interested.

Personally, I'll grab this when it reaches the 20 eurodollar mark (shouldn't take much longer since it flopped hard), or, wait until the eventual PS plus extra release.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gamefly were extremely competent and delivered my copy in 2 days, gonna play this over the weekend.

no regerts on reading about how to unlock the easy difficulty lol

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, I've been thinking about this game almost daily for the past couple of months. When I watch gameplay vids, it looks exactly like the kind of thing that I would enjoy but the price is kinda steep.

Does this have any NG+ modes or any sort of replay value to it to merit buying it at full price or should I just wait until it goes on a deeper sale?

Gambit2483

Man, I've been thinking about this game almost daily for the past couple of months. When I watch gameplay vids, it looks exactly like the kind of thing that I would enjoy but the price is kinda steep.

Does this have any NG+ modes or any sort of replay value to it to merit buying it at full price or should I just wait until it goes on a deeper sale?

It's a no-brainer @ $40 or less. $50 if you absolutely love these types of games is acceptable.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the devs recently (a month or two ago) stated they would be putting out a patch in the future that address issues and adds content of some sort. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck on what I believe is the last level, so not sure about NG+

Last edited:

Bry0

Just a tip, I’m playing on normal and so far the game really isn’t THAT hard unless you seriously screw up. You just have to learn to mix in guard/dodge cancel to stay mobile and shorten those recovery/healing animations. Play aggressive for the health recovery and mix in pistol shots into combos to keep enemies from guarding and open them up to melee. Using dodge roll and pistol shots to close gaps and stop them from firing at you too. Grenades are great for pushing enemies out of cover so you can close gaps or just shoot them with a rifle.

I just really really feel like maybe because it’s a little unconventional and the tutorial doesn’t teach you how to play efficiently that people are struggling? I just came off playing NG1 and 2 and after looking up who the director was for this game I’m not too surprised. It doesn’t necessarily play like NG, but it’s got a similar feel where if you aren’t taking advantage of animation canceling you will probably have a harder time. I.e. in NG if you don’t do the dodge->jump-dodge>jump or making use of shuriken cancels after combo animation then some sections end up seeming way harder than they actually are.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just a tip, I’m playing on normal and so far the game really isn’t THAT hard unless you seriously screw up. You just have to learn to mix in guard/dodge cancel to stay mobile and shorten those recovery/healing animations. Play aggressive for the health recovery and mix in pistol shots into combos to keep enemies from guarding and open them up to melee. Using dodge roll and pistol shots to close gaps and stop them from firing at you too. Grenades are great for pushing enemies out of cover so you can close gaps or just shoot them with a rifle.

I just really really feel like maybe because it’s a little unconventional and the tutorial doesn’t teach you how to play efficiently that people are struggling? I just came off playing NG1 and 2 and after looking up who the director was for this game I’m not too surprised. It doesn’t necessarily play like NG, but it’s got a similar feel where if you aren’t taking advantage of animation canceling you will probably have a harder time. I.e. in NG if you don’t do the dodge->jump-dodge>jump or making use of shuriken cancels after combo animation then some sections end up seeming way harder than they actually are.
I beat it on Japanese Hard. The game's awesome once you truly get used to it. Totally agree with everything you said. Few other small tips:
  • Incendiary grenades are great for buying you time in choke points, or you can just stun ninjas and hit them with 10 pistol shots to soften them up
  • Hit up on the d-pad to turn off auto fire on your assault rifle. If low on ammo on higher difficulties, this is the best way to hunt for head shots which do substantially more damage than other shots.
  • If you are on a tough section and keep dying and get annoyed that the game doesn't save your upgrades, spend your money and then just open the weapon upgrade menu at the drone and it triggers a save.
  • The parry has a very large input window when updated, but you have to hold down the button. Hard to explain honestly, but sometimes I felt I had pressed it slightly early but just held the button and it works - like a half second extra window.
  • Charge slice, evade slide both have very high chance to trigger a delimb.
  • Exploit mid-range on ninjas. They are open to pistol shots to soften them up before they close the distance (other than the dual blade ninjas that have projectiles).

Bry0

I beat it on Japanese Hard. The game's awesome once you truly get used to it. Totally agree with everything you said. Few other small tips:
  • Incendiary grenades are great for buying you time in choke points, or you can just stun ninjas and hit them with 10 pistol shots to soften them up
  • Hit up on the d-pad to turn off auto fire on your assault rifle. If low on ammo on higher difficulties, this is the best way to hunt for head shots which do substantially more damage than other shots.
  • If you are on a tough section and keep dying and get annoyed that the game doesn't save your upgrades, spend your money and then just open the weapon upgrade menu at the drone and it triggers a save.
  • The parry has a very large input window when updated, but you have to hold down the button. Hard to explain honestly, but sometimes I felt I had pressed it slightly early but just held the button and it works - like a half second extra window.
  • Charge slice, evade slide both have very high chance to trigger a delimb.
  • Exploit mid-range on ninjas. They are open to pistol shots to soften them up before they close the distance (other than the dual blade ninjas that have projectiles).
Thanks I will have to incorporate some of this into my play. I had no idea you could even change fire modes, that’s going to be super helpful too.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
$23 on PSN just picked it up. Heard mixed things so obviously had to try.

This shit is great 🤛🏻

Reminds me of and feels a lot like a Suda 360/PS3 era game, specifically Killer is Dead. The UI and menu looks like something he’d do too. That digifont is totally No More Heroes.

This is something that’s meant to be played over and over again right? Until your character becomes a god with that skill tree? That’s what it feels like.

Combat is super satisfying with the haptics and dismemberment. Good feedback all around. Died plenty but who cares. It feels like a live, die, repeat kind of game.

Another soon to be cult classic forgotten 2023 banger. 2023. They just don’t stop coming 🙌🏻

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
$23 on PSN just picked it up. Heard mixed things so obviously had to try.

This shit is great 🤛🏻

Reminds me of and feels a lot like a Suda 360/PS3 era game, specifically Killer is Dead. The UI and menu looks like something he’d do too. That digifont is totally No More Heroes.

This is something that’s meant to be played over and over again right? Until your character becomes a god with that skill tree? That’s what it feels like.

Combat is super satisfying with the haptics and dismemberment. Good feedback all around. Died plenty but who cares. It feels like a live, die, repeat kind of game.

Another soon to be cult classic forgotten 2023 banger. 2023. They just don’t stop coming 🙌🏻

The replay value in the game is minimal IMO. No scoreboard or way to showcase your skill really. You could play once more after completion on the hardest difficulty but the game is quite short.

I was expecting some kind of updates or free/paid dlc but the developers left this game after launch week.

Pretty sour about it because I personally think it’s a great game that just needed a score attack mode and an extra performance/bug patch.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The replay value in the game is minimal IMO. No scoreboard or way to showcase your skill really. You could play once more after completion on the hardest difficulty but the game is quite short.

I was expecting some kind of updates or free/paid dlc but the developers left this game after launch week.

Pretty sour about it because I personally think it’s a great game that just needed a score attack mode and an extra performance/bug patch.

Can you keep replaying the levels after you finish to unlock all of the skills?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

They playing games with this?

What a fucking scam this game was...
1 year, i repeat, 1 YEAR for a patch for a game that was sold at 60 Eurodollars.

Most of their budget went to the licensed tracks, the Maserati logo, and, judging from the ever happy-go-lucky twitter/X posts, marketing...

To anyone that hasn't played this yet but is actually curious/interested in getting it :
DON'T - i got it for 10€ and i still felt cheated, this IS NOT a nod towards the "glorious days" of the charming, PS2 AA games, this game is pure shit and a mish-mash of various trends and ideas poorly implemented (the rhythm mini-games are pure and utterly cack, as are the arcade games etc) just for "lulz look how CrAaZyY our game is" sake.

- Terrible pacing
- Limited move set
- Terribad voice acting (it's some of the worst shit i've ever heard).
- Uber mediocre graphics with absolutely terrible sound effects and voices
- Absolutely G'damn terrible shooting on consoles (not that you'll use it that much).
- Frequent Crashes (on PS5)
- Graphical bugs that still haven't been fixed 1 year later (ie : transparent rectangle on the lower left part of the screen, weird flashes when moving the camera to the lower part of the screen, rainbow-fucked-up-graphics/flashes on random spots).

All in all, when everything's said and done, and after the initial 1st hour where the novelty has already worn off, what you're left with is an action game with a very, very limited move set, short on duration with only 4 types of enemies and absolutely terrible checkpoints - there's nothing really enjoyable here, not even for hardcore fans of action games, this is just a money-laundering scheme - play it and you'll understand (or not, it's better if you actually don't), it's not just "undercooked", it's the definition of "undercooked" to the point of everything feeling like you're playing a stolen, alpha version of a game that you're not supposed to.

Stay away from this friggin' hoax of a "game", there's absolutely nothing of value, better replay the Bayonettas, MGS Rising, NG 1&2 for your action game fix.

Last edited:

Bry0

I played this on console the first time but if they finally release this patch and put it in sale on steam I’d buy it again if it’s cheap enough.

Can’t believe they have been hyping this update for nearly a year though. I hope it lives up to the wait but idk. Kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I played this on console the first time but if they finally release this patch and put it in sale on steam I’d buy it again if it’s cheap enough.

Can’t believe they have been hyping this update for nearly a year though. I hope it lives up to the wait but idk. Kinda ridiculous.
All that really tells me is that Soleil is having to work on other projects to pay the bills but truly love this game and are working on it when they can, instead of letting it die.

This is the true successor to Ninja Gaiden 2.

stn

I'm almost done the game but have been waiting for the patch. As much as I like the game, some of the design elements make it frustrating as hell. I've beaten the hell out of Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3, platted both Nioh games, Wo Long, Stranger of Paradise, and so forth, but this game pisses me off like no other.

RedC

street fighter no GIF by Red Bull

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm almost done the game but have been waiting for the patch. As much as I like the game, some of the design elements make it frustrating as hell. I've beaten the hell out of Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3, platted both Nioh games, Wo Long, Stranger of Paradise, and so forth, but this game pisses me off like no other.
It really is a unique action game unlike anything else. It doesn't explicitly tell you when to use guns or melee, and you will fail if you lean on either one. You truly have to use both in a mixture, and know when it's the appropriate time for each. Never really played anything like it. I'm always down for watching any video clips and offering tips if you get bored. It's definitely a difficult game and not for everyone.

All that really tells me is that Soleil is having to work on other projects to pay the bills but truly love this game and are working on it when they can, instead of letting it die.

No way is this a spiritual successor to NG2. The combat is good but it's way too goofy in tone. It's also fairly janky.

I was enjoying it on ps5 until the framerate nosedived

Gambit2483

That last level was on some pure Chesse yo ass cuz we can BS. I've never seen the CPU pull out so much BS after another...especially those Heavies....fuck those guys.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No way is this a spiritual successor to NG2. The combat is good but it's way too goofy in tone. It's also fairly janky.

I was enjoying it on ps5 until the framerate nosedived
It's not as polished as Ninja Gaiden 2 in numerous ways. But it's the successor to NG2. It's the combat director from NG2 and you can get that feel when you play it and it finally clicks in the enemy AI, the moveset, the defensive options, the goofy cutscenes and art design, all of it. Feels 1000x more like Ninja Gaiden 2 than Ninja Gaiden 3 or Nioh. These are the guys that know how to make that particular type of action game. Game has issues, but it's those same guys. Even the tight corridors in the last level are very reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden 2 level design. I didn't say this lightly, this is the Itagaki wing of Team Ninja. They don't have the staff levels, game engine, budget or the polish, but you still see it.

Last edited:

Bry0

Yeah you got a point. I’m glad to see they are still talking about it so it’s not forgotten.

stn

It really is a unique action game unlike anything else. It doesn't explicitly tell you when to use guns or melee, and you will fail if you lean on either one. You truly have to use both in a mixture, and know when it's the appropriate time for each. Never really played anything like it. I'm always down for watching any video clips and offering tips if you get bored. It's definitely a difficult game and not for everyone.
Some of the jank and combat mechanics make it harder than it should be, but I'm patient and I never give up on action games. I've been on chapter 4 for a while and I paused in the hopes that this patch will bring some much-needed quality of life updates. Something as simple as a lock-on mechanic would do this game wonders.

I waited for CP 2077 to be patched before really committing to it, and I'm so glad I did because that game is amazing, so I'm gonna wait for this one as well. Sounds like something is coming soon given their update.

consoul

The patch, finally!
Time to revisit the game and see if it tips the scales for the better.

It was the best worst game I played in 2023.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Some of the jank and combat mechanics make it harder than it should be, but I'm patient and I never give up on action games. I've been on chapter 4 for a while and I paused in the hopes that this patch will bring some much-needed quality of life updates. Something as simple as a lock-on mechanic would do this game wonders.

I waited for CP 2077 to be patched before really committing to it, and I'm so glad I did because that game is amazing, so I'm gonna wait for this one as well. Sounds like something is coming soon given their update.
I dont think there will ever be a lock on. Just saying.

Moochi

Been playing this on Hard and really enjoying it. When you get into the flow of battles it's cinematic in a way that few character action games have every accomplished. The writing is quirky and fun on the surface, I like the world a lot, but the dialog...almost every other line is a meme or a canned "cool movie" line, to the point that I've lost whatever was going on in multiple scenes. The writers prioritized sound cool over comprehension and it sucks. Love the character models for the lead and weaponsmith. Both are extremely my types without being too cutesy or revealing.

Svejk

Oh shit.. I hope this patch does something with check points. I love what I played.. but that first white ninja just sucks. And so do I apparently... :( The difficulty spike is a bit insane, cuz it was cake getting to him.

Other than that, will definitely try it again! I thought this was a dump and done type game, so better late than never.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Here are the patch notes, as per the game's official PR:

Stability

• Implemented general stability fixes.
  • Fixed an issue where players could experience crashes while playing advanced levels of the Ramen minigame.
  • Fixed periodical stability issues related to dropping and picking up the Chainsaw.
Achievements:

• “Severance Pays” Trophy/Achievement progress now cumulates across multiple saves and playthroughs.
  • Chainsaw finishers and certain wall finishers are no longer required to complete the “Severance Pays” Trophy/Achievement.
  • Previously unseen finishers now have a higher chance of being triggered, making the “Severance Pays” Trophy/Achievement much easier to obtain.
Bug Fixes and improvements

• Implemented various collision adjustments.
  • Fixed an issue where certain cutscenes would sometimes pause at the start.
What's more, another update is planned for February, although we don't know the full scope of this one. Still, we've got a couple of key features:

• Adding a checkpoint during the Dauer HQ Ninja fight. (Steam / PS5 / Xbox X)
  • FSR and DLSS implementation (update). Only FSR for consoles. (Steam / PS5 / Xbox X)

-------------------------------------------------------

It took them 1 year...1 year lads for some basic fixes, i'm actually amazed by this level of incompetence...
    And to think it'd have been more than that...lol, this game's PR is just a sight to behold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom