• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Dubious Russian document influenced the FBI’s handling of the Clinton probe

royalan

Except leaks are exactly what has been taking down Trump inch by inch.

There is a lot of reason to believe that the part of the FBI that is "Trumpland" is the NY Criminal Field Office. They WOULD have leaked shit to the press if Comey didn't send the letter, and then if Hillary STILL lost, Comey would have been fired in January 21st.

Emphasis on "inch by inch."

Come on, Tide. We were both there that day. The Comey letter hit like a freakinh wrecking ball. No way would a leak have had the same effect, especially since the shit had already been leaking out of the FBI by that point.

Gaogaogao

While it is arguable that she could have run a better campaign, I know that if I were her, I'd be beside myself with anger with all of this rubbish coming out.

The democracy of the USA got played like chumps. Hard.

the electoral college itself is a subversion of democracy created by slave owners to make their votes count more, without letting their slaves vote for themselves.

tbm24

You're giving way too much credit to a leak. No way would a leak have been given as much credit as a letter from the director himself. I mean, there was a leak a day in 2016. Not all of them became front page news. A letter from Comey GUARANTEED a week's worth of headlines, which is exactly what happened.
Honestly, I think a leak such as that would have been much worse as far as fanning the flames for the GOP. They posture now that leaks are awful but they would have eaten it up. On top of that, a leak would have forced Comey's hand regardless. There was no good solution to the situation and it's hard to assume any other way would have had a better outcome election wise.

Republicans be like "Russia did NOT interfere in our elections. This is a made up non-story. In other news, we would like to thank Mother Russia for providing crucial information regarding the Hillary Clinton email investigation and how it was doomed by the DOJ from day one."

royalan

Honestly, I think a leak such as that would have been much worse as far as fanning the flames for the GOP. They posture now that leaks are awful but they would have eaten it up. On top of that, a leak would have forced Comey's hand regardless. There was no good solution to the situation and it's hard to assume any other way would have had a better outcome election wise.

The GOP would have complained regardless. They were complaining before, they're still complaining now.

Seriously, if we're weighing in what will make the GOP complain when deciding the right thing to do, we might as well just go home. They're the GOP.

You're giving way too much credit to a leak. No way would a leak have been given as much credit as a letter from the director himself. I mean, there was a leak a day in 2016. Not all of them became front page news. A letter from Comey GUARANTEED a week's worth of headlines, which is exactly what happened.

A leak would have arguably played even harder into the "crooked Hillary" persona. It was a no-win situation.

Steejee

JFC Comey, I hope you help get Trump shitcanned and then stay 'nautious' for the rest of your life for how badly you fucked up *everything*

So does this mean that Comey's BS announcement about HER EMAILZ! was based on bad info?

Not just bad info, bad info that the FBI didn't even try to verify. They didn't interview or investigate anyone involved. It feels like part of the Bureau saw the document as completely fake and not worth investigating and Comey saw it as actionable. That combination proved disastrous.

Not

Banned
Damn. America got fucking PWNed. I've said it before, all Russia had to do was hit us right in the racism.

CDX

This shit pisses me off. I almost don't want to hear anymore about how Putin played the US.

Clinton must be made President.

Constitutionally cannot happen, unfortunately.

Well, there is kind of a way it could happen. But it's not going to happen.

Win House
Name Clinton Speaker
Impeach Trump and Pence

It can happen, but the odds of this happening are microscopic.
Yep. That's the only way it could happen. But it's inconceivable to think it would actually happen that way.

Dude Abides

Banned
Except leaks are exactly what has been taking down Trump inch by inch.

There is a lot of reason to believe that the part of the FBI that is "Trumpland" is the NY Criminal Field Office. They WOULD have leaked shit to the press if Comey didn't send the letter, and then if Hillary STILL lost, Comey would have been fired in January 21st.

Why would leakers the NY criminal field office (which I assume was investigating only Weiner's sexting) have known that the emails meant the Clinton server investigation had been reopened?

Emphasis on "inch by inch."

Come on, Tide. We were both there that day. The Comey letter hit like a freakinh wrecking ball. No way would a leak have had the same effect, especially since the shit had already been leaking out of the FBI by that point.

And then what would that leak have promopted? A letter from congress to Comey to tell them if the leak is true or not. And even if Comey tried to keep the answer the behind closed doors, the news story would eventually be "Comey admits that FBI is reopening Emails investigation".

I'm not saying that what Comey did was legal. I'm not even saying he did any of this for the Dems. I'm saying that if he didn't do what he did, there is a very good chance that Hillary would have still lost only instead Comey wouldn't get an extra 4 months to investigate Trump.

Why would leakers the NY criminal field office (which I assume was investigating only Weiner's sexting) have known that the emails meant the Clinton server investigation had been reopened?

The NY Crimnal Field Office have strong ties to Christie and Giuliani, they clearly were the ones that told Comey about what they "found" on Weiner's laptop, and they had already given Giuliani a heads up about what was coming up a week before Comey sent the letter.

Dude Abides

Banned
The NY Crimnal Field Office have strong ties to Christie and Giuliani, they clearly were the ones that told Comey about what they "found" on Weiner's laptop, and they had already given Giuliani a heads up about what was coming up a week before Comey sent the letter.

But that does not mean that NY agents would have known that the presence of emails on Weiner's laptop means that the Washington office would have reopened the Clinton investigation, unless people in the NY office were involved in the Clinton investigation. All someone in the NY office would have known was that Clinton emails were found on Weiner's laptop. It does not follow that they would have known whether they were new emails or that they would prompt DC to reopen the Clinton inquiry.

But that does not mean that NY agents would have known that the presence of emails on Weiner's laptop means that the Washington office would have reopened the Clinton investigation, unless people in the NY office were involved in the Clinton investigation. All someone in the NY office would have known was that Clinton emails were found on Weiner's laptop. It does not follow that they would have known whether they were new emails or that they would prompt DC to reopen the Clinton inquiry.

The whole point is that they knew that the Washington offices wouldn't know yet whether or not they were new emails either and thus would HAVE TO look into them. All they have to do is wait for Comey for send a letter to congress and if he doesn't do that then people from the NY Field Office will just leak claims about finding the emails themselves.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This whole Russian operation must be the biggest victory of a secret service after the decrypting of the Nazi encryption in the WW II. Maybe even bigger than that due to the end result of it, which is literally puppeteering an enemy without fight.

slit

This makes Comey look so fucking bad! We have idiots investigating traitors. If this happened during the Cold War all of the White House and half of the FBI would be on trial.

This whole Russian operation must be the biggest victory of a secret service after the decrypting of the Nazi encryption in the WW II. Maybe even bigger than that due to the end result of it, which is literally puppeteering an enemy without fight.

We're going to be studying this one for centuries to come.

latest

Sergej Viktorovitsj Lavrov loves his damn job.

Mahonay

Banned
I always suspected the Russians had a hand it in the Clinton probe getting as out of hand as it did, but god damn now we're getting actual real evidence. Russians played our dumb asses, this shit is embarrassing. This is going to change how the FBI handles investigations forever.

akira28

Damn. America got fucking PWNed. I've said it before, all Russia had to do was hit us right in the racism.

god.

DAMMIT.

we might have military superiority. but what does it matter if we just got served on the dance floor? can't shoot someone over this. they just outsmarted the entire USA.GOV.
people should be ashamed.

Top Bottom