• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Kushner wanted secret communications channel with Kremlin

Boke1879

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/868287787086352385
New York Times with both confirmation and what has the strong scent of a Trump camp counter-narrative.

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/868288215677108225
This actually is even more disturbing. Why in God's name would they want to conceal plans on Syria strategy from the US military?

https://twitter.com/MikeSacksEsq/status/868287931202633730
https://nyti.ms/2s5CWCu

"The idea behind the secret communications channel, the three people said, was for Russian military officials to brief Mr. Flynn about the Syrian war and to discuss ways to cooperate there. Less than two weeks later, Mr. Kushner backed off the idea of the communications channel when Mr. Trump announced Rex Tillerson, a former chief executive of Exxon Mobil who had worked closely with Russian officials on energy deals, as his choice to become secretary of state."

His ass wouldn't need a back channel shielded from US intel to discuss Syria.

nomster

its not 'enough is enough' for die-hard Trump voters ... yet.

The blowback and chaos from removing Trump from office RIGHT NOW would be immense ... for now.

This is why things are gradually (relatively) ratcheting up so that this information seeps slowly into the public consciousness.

Trump is done - just give it a little time for things to play out.
At some point the the republican fence sitters are going to have to decide what their kids and grandkids will read about for the next twenty-thirty years instead of whether they'll get primaried by crazies

b97J3bn.gif

Jams775

He has $250,000 in Russian index funds.

I was just thinking the other day how I'd give my left nut for Jeb or Romney to be president right now. That's how far we've fallen.

Ehh... maybe this is for the best... I guess it's yet to be seen but this whole scandal seems to have a very very good chance of blowing up the Republican party completely. We couldn't get that with the others.

It's worded poorly but basically this is what he meant :

"Since he was trying to create a back channel, that means there wasn't one, therefore they weren't colluding. It might be an attempt at collusion, but that's all it is".

I love them. Can't wait for the movie.
They may equally have been trying to evolve the one they had to something better. As in, guys, we have to stop meeting as we have been, the attention will be on us more now that we won, can't do it this way any more. I betcha have some great line back to putin can we use it?

Foffy

Banned
Ehh... maybe this is for the best... I guess it's yet to be seen but this whole scandal seems to have a very very good chance of blowing up the Republican party completely. We couldn't get that with the others.

I dunno, dude. Look at how dumbass Americans doubled down in the Montana vote.

Idiots will be idiots, and they will continue to vote vultures in. They will take charred birds from this burning house and reelect them again.

This has existed for a while, but anything involving Russia and the administration leads to hysteria and a lot of clicks for these news orgs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow–Washington_hotline

I don't think you understand what's going on here. Jared Kushner was a private citizen at the time.

Whoever is giving you this narrative is misinformed and I think you should defer to former NSA/CIA officials on TV saying this is highly unusual.

Boylamite

This has existed for a while, but anything involving Russia and the administration leads to hysteria and a lot of clicks for these news orgs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow–Washington_hotline
Anything involving communications between a transition team and a foreign country normally goes through the current administration, and even then it's normally handled through embassies.

A president-elect needing a direct line, secure and secret to even US entities is highly unusual.

Then you take the rest of the story into context and it moves from unusual to suspicious.

Of course you know all of this already.

Jams775

I dunno, dude. Look at how dumbass Americans doubled down in the Montana vote.

Idiots will be idiots, and they will continue to vote vultures in. They will take charred birds from this burning house and reelect them again.

I don't know either, heh. Hoping for the best. Well, what I'm hoping for is that this takes out Trump, Kushner, Manafort, Flynn, Pence, and even Paul Ryan. Then Trump would have fulfilled his promise of draining the swamp!

Holy shit, WaPo first learned about this in December but couldn't get corroboration until now:

The second paragraph seems to indicate this set up the later meeting with Prince.

The thing that gets me about this shitshow is that all of those crazy, insane conspiracy theories and detached circumstancial info floating around during the transisition was almost too unbelievable...then one by one, they've shown to be the reality. Steele Dossier might as well be a script by this point.

Another scoop onto the ignore list.

On topic, I hope WaPo works on the holidays. I can't stand three days without a Trump treason story.

iammeiam

"The idea behind the secret communications channel, the three people said, was for Russian military officials to brief Mr. Flynn about the Syrian war and to discuss ways to cooperate there. Less than two weeks later, Mr. Kushner backed off the idea of the communications channel when Mr. Trump announced Rex Tillerson, a former chief executive of Exxon Mobil who had worked closely with Russian officials on energy deals, as his choice to become secretary of state."

This thing is like a rabbit-hole of what the fuck, but like... The goal was to discuss cooperation with Russia re:Syria. Trump's team (although not Trump himself because why would he fucking care) were getting daily briefings from the Obama administration around this time, right? Flynn was in on those?

Because if so, and Flynn wanted to discuss the current situation and possible cooperation with Russia, isn't this tacit admitting that Kushner was trying to set this up so Flynn could have discussions about US Military operations he'd be privy to with Russia without respect for what may or may not be intel he's allowed to discuss? He'd have to--if the Russians tell him they want to do X and he knows the US is going to do Y which interferes, he'd have to say something or it's not cooperation?

The president can declassify shit at will; the president elect can't. His magical son-in-law can't. Flynn can't. Is there any interpetation of this that isn't illegal? Flynn honor system maybe?

Surfinn

I think it says something when a story that says the president's son in law probably committed treason isn't completely blown up on GAF. People are so used to this shit. Fucking scary

Lo-Volt

I think it says something when a story that says the president's son in law probably committed treason isn't completely blown up on GAF. People are so used to this shit. Fucking scary

We're trying to focus on three or four of these stories a day. It's really overwhelming; numbing, to be frank. The "novelty" is wearing off on me, personally. This is fucked up.

royalan

This thing is like a rabbit-hole of what the fuck, but like... The goal was to discuss cooperation with Russia re:Syria. Trump's team (although not Trump himself because why would he fucking care) were getting daily briefings from the Obama administration around this time, right? Flynn was in on those?

Because if so, and Flynn wanted to discuss the current situation and possible cooperation with Russia, isn't this tacit admitting that Kushner was trying to set this up so Flynn could have discussions about US Military operations he'd be privy to with Russia without respect for what may or may not be intel he's allowed to discuss? He'd have to--if the Russians tell him they want to do X and he knows the US is going to do Y which interferes, he'd have to say something or it's not cooperation?

The president can declassify shit at will; the president elect can't. His magical son-in-law can't. Flynn can't. Is there any interpetation of this that isn't illegal? Flynn honor system maybe?

No, not really. The former CIA director was just on MSNBC saying that if an operative had done something like this, it would be considered espionage.

That THIS is the best response the WH can come up with tells you how fucked Kushner is.

Surfinn

We're trying to focus on three or four of these stories a day. It's really overwhelming; numbing, to be frank. The "novelty" is wearing off on me, personally. This is fucked up.

Yup that's where I'm at. These stories happen hourly now and people are getting fucking numb.

It's like "well that's not surprising", and people go back to waiting for the real evidence and actions to go down.

Crazy times

The only things that would get a huge response at this point are if somebody involved with the Trump campaign gets charged with a crime or if we get explicit evidence for Trump committing a crime.

iammeiam

No, not really. The former CIA director was just on MSNBC saying that if an operative had done something like this, it would be considered espionage.

That THIS is the best response the WH can come up with tells you how fucked Kushner is.

My initial response to Kushner trying to set it up was somewhere along the lines of "that's fucked up, but they'll just insist it wasn't to discuss anything classified, they just had concerns about security and didn't trust the swamp." Something bullshit and not believable but with enough built-in deniability to almost half work.

I'm not mentally prepared for them bluntly saying the plan was to share military intel in secret. Jesus christ.

The only things that would get a huge response at this point are if somebody involved with the Trump campaign gets charged with a crime or if we get explicit evidence for Trump committing a crime.

Pretty much this. The media is doing a great job pounding how crazy this stuff is into us. At the end of the day though we go to bed and wake up and nothing happens.

I think everyone including the media is starting to realize we really don't have much power. The GOP are THE only ones that can actually start the process to save our democracy.

Pretty much this. The media is doing a great job pounding how crazy this stuff is into us. At the end of the day though we go to bed and wake up and nothing happens.

I think everyone including the media is starting to realize we really don't have much power. The GOP are THE only ones that can actually start the process to save our democracy.

What media? The libtard fake media? What about Hillary and her emails and killing Seth Rich? - All Trump supporters and all right leaning media.

It's crazy none of this shit is actually leading to anything so far
It's an ongoing investigation that has recently kicked into high gear. They need to collect as much evidence as possible to make sure that they find out who did what and how can the FBI prove it.

It's crazy none of this shit is actually leading to anything so far

Well, on a surface level, 45 is still popular with the right and thus the GOP doesnt want to do anything. Additionally, 45 is a useful idiot as he will sign whatever Congress (which is currently controlled by GOP) puts on his desk which is basically anything that erodes environmental protection and being reverse Robin Hood (fucking over the poor to give to the rich). The philosophy of doing everything that is shitty for the populace as a whole while ensuring the rich get richer is the GOP mantra.

The tinfoil hat (that I hope is true) is that the buck doesnt stop at 45 and his advisors, VP, and cabinet BUT this rolls downhill. The fact that the faces of the GOP are so adamant to stand by Trump and downplay all of this feeds the belief that, well, folks like Ryan, etc are implicated in this as well.

Top Bottom