• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador

Sessions getting canned and then being replaced by someone who fucks with the investigation is so stupidly obvious and will backfire so badly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Let's play this out.

Whoever is nominated WILL be asked if they will recuse themselves.

If they say yes, and then don't do it, what happens?

If they say no, what is the backlash?

They will also be asked if they will fire Mueller if asked by the President.

If they say yes, what is the backlash?

If they say no, and then do it, what happens?

Nothing.
The Senate can't fire him once he's in, you can't perjure yourself by breaking a promise, and even if you could perjury hasn't mattered so far.
I'm not saying it's a good move in general. But neither is cutting your own arm off. When you're in a 127 Hours scenario it is though.

I have major doubts Trump would literally destroy his own argument about no collusion in order to try and get someone through congress that won't recuse himself.

And this is just more proof that Trump will sell you out (if true), which isn't something that's smart when it comes to trying to save your own skin

Same. If it was, it's monumentally short-sighted.

So I guess it is Trump.

PopeReal

Getting rid of Mueller would cause chaos of historical proportions... right?

I don't see how that would be an end game option for Trump.

Fergie

Banned
Republican rep on CNN was trying to spin this as the Ambassador lying to put Sessions in a bad light, lol.
Only notable thing is this conversation was intercepted last summer?

When this whole thing was gearing up into overdrive.

Nafai1123

Banned
Nothing.
The Senate can't fire him once he's in, you can't perjure yourself by breaking a promise, and even if you could perjury hasn't mattered so far.
I'm not saying it's a good move in general. But neither is cutting your own arm off. When you're in a 127 Hours scenario it is though.

Maybe...maybe not. Sessions said he wouldn't recuse in his confirmation hearing, and yet he did. Public and Congressional pressure DOES matter.

Is this based off of info by the Russian ambassador? Why are we acting like this means anything if so?

Why would we act like it doesn't mean anything?

GET ME OUT
GET ME OUT

8htTqXm.jpg

Is this based off of info by the Russian ambassador? Why are we acting like this means anything if so?
It's based on intercepted communications from last year between him & Moscow, yes.

But U.S. officials with regular access to Russian intelligence reports say Kislyak — whose tenure as ambassador to the United States ended recently — has a reputation for accurately relaying details about his interactions with officials in Washington.

Fergie

Banned
Getting rid of Mueller would cause chaos of historical proportions... right?

I don't see how that would be an end game option for Trump.
It would be on Republicans partnering up with Dems to set up a independent special counsel?

Then again Republicans can just ignore everything and let this die.

In a nutshell, heavily reliant on Republicans doing the right thing. 🙃

kess

How popular was Sessions in the Senate? If Trump really tried to fuck him over, he's only hurting himself with the GOP caucus

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I don't think that means there is more. He put out a tweet like an hour asking if the week was over, then this dropped. I think the tweet was just referencing this article.
Yeah, I think you might be right.

JettDash

How popular was Sessions in the Senate? If Trump really tried to fuck him over, he's only hurting himself with the GOP caucus

I think he was liked well enough by the Republicans. Most of the Democrats think he's a racist piece of shit.

I doubt very much that they would have told Trump about this or that he would confirm campaign collusion with Russia just to give himself an excuse to fire Sessions.

Because we shouldn't trust the Russian ambassador. If
The intent was to disrupt our democracy, lying about this would do it

I feel like we're in that "What if we make the world a better place for no reason?" scenario at this point.

Oh gosh, if it turns out this is all a Russian play to cause people to lose faith in Donald Trump and his god-awful cabinet, then when we impeach we'll have removed a dangerous moron and his cavalcade of hilariously corrupt stooges from power for nothing! Boy, will our faces be red!

Because we shouldn't trust the Russian ambassador. If
The intent was to disrupt our democracy, lying about this would do it

Ahh ok .. on my phone in traffic and missed that

I mean, the ambassador would have had to have had some amazing foresight. Sessions at the time was only a senator and a surrogate. There was no indication we would be tapped for a high profile position. Hell, he wasn't even on Trump's top list for the AG job.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
He only posted that tweet 35min+ ago.

He only posted THAT tweet a little while ago but he posted this one earlier:

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/888533889517531139

Reverse the order there (article published before initial tweet) but it could be the case.

Ah, I see. Yeah I still see it as a "I asked and Adam answered" sort of thing. Even if technically he asked after the article. Probably took him a bit to see it.

I don't mean to be mean but I don't know how to ask this nicely:

I just saw the Sanders lady speaking on behalf of the admin and has been lately... She's cock-eyed, right? Or otherwise has a lazy eye? Or was it a weird camera angle?

Fergie

Banned
He only posted THAT tweet a little while ago but he posted this one earlier:

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/888533889517531139

Ah, I see. Yeah I still see it as a "I asked and Adam answered" sort of thing. Even if technically he asked after the article. Probably took him a bit to see it.
Someone also tweeted below the earliest tweet that he did the same thing last week and nothing happened.

I guess we'll see. 🙃

So here's the thing that continues to bother me: can we get these fucking intelligence agency intercepts OUT into the public? It's like we keep hearing "US intelligence agencies intercepted this and that" but it's never released publicly so people never believe it because they figure it's just rumor.

Magwik

Banned
So here's the thing that continues to bother me: can we get these fucking intelligence agency intercepts OUT into the public? It's like we keep hearing "US intelligence agencies intercepted this and that" but it's never released publicly so people never believe it because they figure it's just rumor.
This is their way of getting them into the public.

Top Bottom