• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump’s legal team faces tensions and a client who often takes his own counsel

Zolo

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...361fc6-67eb-11e7-8eb5-cbccc2e7bfbf_story.html

The challenge for President Trump’s attorneys has become, at its core, managing the unmanageable — their client.

He won’t follow instructions. After one meeting in which they urged Trump to steer clear of a certain topic, he sent a tweet about that very theme before they arrived back at their office.

He won’t compartmentalize. With aides, advisers and friends breezing in and out of the Oval Office, it is not uncommon for the president to suddenly turn the conversation to Russia — a subject that perpetually gnaws at him — in a meeting about something else entirely.

And he won’t discipline himself. Trump’s legal team, led by Marc E. Kasowitz of New York, is laboring to underscore the potential risk to the president if he engages without a lawyer in discussions with other people under scrutiny in widening Russia inquiries, including Jared Kushner, his son-in-law and senior adviser.

As in Trump’s West Wing, lawyers on the outside teams have been deeply distrustful of one another and suspicious of motivations. They also are engaged in a circular firing squad of private speculation about who may have disclosed information about Trump Jr.’s meeting with the Russian lawyer to the New York Times, said people familiar with the situation.

Another question is who will pay the legal fees for the president and administration officials involved in the Russia inquiries. Some in Trump’s orbit are pushing the Republican National Committee to bear the costs, said three people with knowledge of the situation, including one who euphemistically described the debate as a “robust discussion.”

Although the RNC does have a legal defense fund, it well predates the Russia investigations and is intended to be used for legal challenges facing the Republican Party, such as a potential election recount.

The RNC has not made a decision, in part because the committee is still researching whether the money could legally be used to help pay legal costs related to Russia. But many within the organization are resisting the effort, thinking it would be more appropriate to create a separate legal defense fund for the case.

RNC officials declined requests for comment. The White House has not said whether Trump, Kushner and other officials are paying their legal bills themselves or whether they are being covered by an outside entity.

Barry Bennett, who was a Trump campaign adviser, said that Trump isn’t used to losing and that “he never stops fighting. That’s what life has taught him.
In Washington, politics is a full-contact sport, and it’s certainly tougher than having it out with a magazine. It’s a new arena for him and he’s treating it like every arena he’s ever been in. He may be right, but it’s messy.”

During last year’s campaign, Bennett recalled, “do you know how many times people came to him and said, ‘That was lethal, you’re never going to survive it’? Every time, he survived. When somebody tells him he can’t do something, he’s at a minimum circumspect.”

When it comes to Twitter, however, the president is hardly circumspect. His political advisers have long urged him to restrain his first impulses on social media and to think twice before tweeting — and now, his lawyers are asking the same.

Still, the president persists.

“It’s my voice,’’ Trump said in a recent interview with the New York Times Magazine. ‘‘They want to take away my voice. They’re not going to take away my social media.’’

He wants someone else to pay for his defense fees. Surprise, surprise.

Once a scam artist, always a scam artist.

I hope he tries to extort them and finds himself facing a primary challenger in 2020.

He's still got a lot of money though - that's all his lawyers care about.

He can fuck himself up all he wants, they're still getting paid and they'll all write books about trying to work with this asshole once he's gone to make even more money.

He's still got a lot of money though - that's all his lawyers care about.

He can fuck himself up all he wants, they're still getting paid and they'll all write books about trying to work with this asshole once he's gone to make even more money.

He barely has that it seems.

That legal fund thing is actually pretty interesting. If they cough up the money for it, it seems they're in for the long haul with him. If not..

Socivol

It does make me happy to know that he hates being president. He's not used to any push back on the things he does so his frustration is refreshing.

Somnid

I hope his lawyers get branded as "Donald Trump's Lawyers" and people stop using them because they are stupid idiot lawyers who defend a stupid idiot and they become poor and get their Medicaid taken away.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The White House has not said whether Trump, Kushner and other officials are paying their legal bills themselves or whether they are being covered by an outside entity.

Oh how delicious it would be if Russian oligarchs end up paying the legal bills.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I hope his lawyers get branded as "Donald Trump's Lawyers" and people stop using them because they are stupid idiot lawyers who defend a stupid idiot and they become poor and get their Medicaid taken away.

Actually this is a big reason why Trump isn't getting the best legal minds, they want to protect their reputations.

Zolo

Actually this is a big reason why Trump isn't getting the best legal minds, they want to protect their reputations.

Well, the main reason is because he has a reputation of not taking his lawyers' advice as well as not paying them.

Knurek

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...361fc6-67eb-11e7-8eb5-cbccc2e7bfbf_story.html
When it comes to Twitter, however, the president is hardly circumspect. His political advisers have long urged him to restrain his first impulses on social media and to think twice before tweeting — and now, his lawyers are asking the same.

Still, the president persists.

“POTUS was giving a lengthy speech,” he said. “He had appeared to violate the rule. He was warned. He was given an explanation. Nevertheless, he persisted.”

Cipherr

This is the one benefit to the guy being a moron. He's ALWAYS a moron, no matter what the situation. So hes going to ignore advice and talk when he shouldn't no matter what.

I would LOVE to hear that the entire party is burning money on this sinking ship. Would be fantastic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That last quote is incredible.

"It's my voice. They're not gonna take away my social media."

Damn.
I mean. It's just crazy to hear from the president, true as it is.

IrishNinja

the things i would do to see his twitter account banned for even a day, oh man

Gotta love how WikiLeaks is still posting stuff about Hillary and Russia.

i mean, assange literally just caped for trump jr this week - if things weren't transparent back when they only dumped the dem hacks, i don't know what to say

WoodWERD

‘‘They want to take away my voice. They’re not going to take away my social media.’’

gollum.jpg

This part kills me
During last year’s campaign, Bennett recalled, “do you know how many times people came to him and said, ‘That was lethal, you’re never going to survive it’? Every time, he survived. When somebody tells him he can’t do something, he’s at a minimum circumspect.”

Because it's absolutely true. He's been rewarded every time he opens his mouth.

I'm stuck at the hospital currently and the last four hours of Fox News has been about liberal hypocrisy and how the Obama DOJ let the Russian in who talked to Donald Trump. This shit is like N. Korea style propaganda. This shit is part of the problem. I saw Hannity doing a segment called "Fake News round up" or some shit. Hannity was doing a segment on fake news. On Fox News. HANNITY. DOING A SEGMENT ON FAKE NEWS. ON FOX NEWS.

My brain feels like it's melting.

KaoteK

It is not uncommon for the president to suddenly turn the conversation to Russia — a subject that perpetually gnaws at him — in a meeting about something else entirely.

Yep, sounds like a man who is completely innocent...

Well, the main reason is because he has a reputation of not taking his lawyers' advice as well as not paying them.

There's probably a really funny movie in the idea of a public defender being forced to defend the President when no one else will.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
He been very successful at doing what he's doing, so there's a chance that he is doing something right for himself.

He won’t follow instructions. After one meeting in which they urged Trump to steer clear of a certain topic, he sent a tweet about that very theme before they arrived back at their office.

He really is like a little kid

KaoteK

He been very successful at doing what he's doing, so there's a chance that he is doing something right for himself.

If by "successful" you mean "laughing stock of the entire world and over half of the USA", you may be on to something.

Binabik15

Can someone get what they are?

He already did with Junior! /rimshot

Trunp acting and sounding like a child continues... .

I wonder if all about Trump's run was kockstarted by Russia. Paid supporters during his first rally stoking the I'm-here-to-see-the-tv-guy attendants and bot net internet buzz, coupled with the reporting on all the outrageous things he said as a ploy to get his name out, then creating more fake online momentum and literal fake news spread by alt-right sites to bring easily influenced people to the rallies (adding to the racists and alt-righters that were immediately on board) and using this popularity and bribed party members to win his primary nomination. I'm not sure if this would be more or less distuebing than millions of MURRICANS deciding, yep, that's my guy, after his first speech just for its vile content, not targeted propaganda etc..

Yep, sounds like a man who is completely innocent...

I was pumped to read that. In the first few months after the inauguration, there weren't many press reports of Trump worrying about Russia or angry tweets from him about it, so I was starting to wonder if the allegations really were all BS. There's no way any of that stuff could be true without Trump raising a huge stink about it (which he has certainly done over the last three months).

toneroni

This part kills me

Because it's absolutely true. He's been rewarded every time he opens his mouth.

I'm stuck at the hospital currently and the last four hours of Fox News has been about liberal hypocrisy and how the Obama DOJ let the Russian in who talked to Donald Trump. This shit is like N. Korea style propaganda. This shit is part of the problem. I saw Hannity doing a segment called "Fake News round up" or some shit. Hannity was doing a segment on fake news. On Fox News. HANNITY. DOING A SEGMENT ON FAKE NEWS. ON FOX NEWS.

My brain feels like it's melting.
It's ridiculous how this could be allowed in this day and age..

KaoteK

I was pumped to read that. In the first few months after the inauguration, there weren't many press reports of Trump worrying about Russia or angry tweets from him about it, so I was starting to wonder if the allegations really were all BS. There's no way any of that stuff could be true without Trump raising a huge stink about it (which he has certainly done over the last three months).

The press and Mueller need to keep doing what they're doing. Hopefully the orange cretin will rage-self combust from all the pressure.

Zolo

I also remember when it sounded like he didn't care much about healthcare.

Top Bottom