• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump Foundation IRS filing admits to violating ban on ‘self-dealing.’

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3f6508-b0a9-11e6-8616-52b15787add0_story.html

President-elect Donald Trump’s charitable foundation has admitted to the IRS that it violated a legal prohibition against “self-dealing,” which bars nonprofit leaders from using their charity’s money to help themselves, their businesses or their families.

That admission was contained in the Donald J. Trump Foundation’s IRS tax filings for 2015, which were recently posted online at the nonprofit-tracking site GuideStar. A GuideStar spokesman said the forms were uploaded by the Trump Foundation’s law firm, Morgan, Lewis and Bockius.

The Post could not immediately confirm if the same forms had actually been sent to the IRS.

In one section of the form, the IRS asked if the Trump Foundation had transferred “income or assets to a disqualified person.” A disqualified person, in this context, might be Trump — the foundation’s president — or a member of his family, or a Trump-owned business.

The foundation checked “yes."

Another line on the form asked if the Trump Foundation had engaged in any acts of self-dealing in prior years. The Trump Foundation checked “yes” again.

Such violations can carry penalties including excise taxes, and the charity leaders can be required to repay money that the charity spent on their behalf.

Philip Hackney, who formerly worked in the IRS chief counsel’s office and now teaches at Louisiana State University, said he wanted to know why the Trump Foundation was now admitting to self-dealing in prior years — when, in all prior years, it had told the IRS it had done nothing of the kind.

“What transactions led to the self-dealing that they’re admitting to? Why weren’t they able to recognize them in prior years,” Hackney said. He said that, since the prior years’ returns were signed by Trump, that opened the president-elect to questions about what he had missed and how.

In September, a Trump campaign spokesman rejected the idea that Trump had done anything wrong, by using his charity’s money to buy art for his bar. Instead, spokesman Boris Epshteyn said, the sports bar was doing the charity a favor by “storing” its art free of charge.

Tax experts said that this argument was unlikely to hold water.

“It’s hard to make an IRS auditor laugh,” Brett Kappel, a lawyer who advises nonprofit groups at the Akerman firm, told The Post then. “But this would do it.”

Much more in the article. And yes, it is David Fahrenthold again.

Guevara

I feel like we're in this worst-case scenario:

Republican congress can basically blackmail Trump day one by threatening to impeach him on any number of legitimate issues.

Man, this is like... Real, actual corruption. Like, PROVABLE corruption. And for some reason I know that people are just gonna brush it off.

Xe4

Banned
But the Clinton foundation tho...

It's fucking pathetic, but no one will care. Trump could get away with murder.

But the Clinton foundation tho...

It's fucking pathetic, but no one will care. Trump could get away with murder.

160125114628-donald-trump-quote-shoot-somebody-super-169.jpg

RuGalz

That Clinton foundation... the one that actually helps people went under microscope for no reason yet this one means nothing.

Volimar

At this point, his conflicts of interest and money grubbing don't interest me. I have to save my outrage for when it goes from shitty illegal behavior to downright harmful.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Man, this is like... Real, actual corruption. Like, PROVABLE corruption. And for some reason I know that people are just gonna brush it off.

This is tax fraud, not corruption.

D i Z

They chose Trump for a reason for their platform. Everyone needs to stop paying attention to his never ending stream of distractions, and focus on those that are walking in the front door behind the media frenzy.
All of this was part and parcel for his presidency to keep all eyes on him.

I can already see the following:

- too complex for rural Republicans to get
- if it's negative, they'll dismiss as biased media so it won't be able to catch on like e-mails

Glad it's found after the election tho.

jerry1594

I can already see the following:

- too complex for rural Republicans to get
- if it's negative, they'll dismiss as biased media so it won't be able to catch on like e-mails

Glad it's found after the election tho.
Rural voters may not have college degrees but they're not retarded. Except maybe in Appalachia

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why aren't any prominent politicians calling him out on all this illegal and corrupt stuff he's admitted to? Most of them are grounds for impeachment but it seems like there'a no oversight and no one prepared to impeach him.

digdug2k

The problem isnt Trump breaking the law, the problem is the 60 million grown ass men and women that dont care that he breaks the law and the 120 million that didnt care enough to even vote.
Well, we have to shake things up in Washington, eh? Its not like the first black president, or a healthcare overhaul, or ending some wars, or building new treaties, or the teaparty takeover of the house, or the GOP take over of the senate, or any of the other 10 billion things that have happened in the last 8 years have been a shakeup at all. Nope, what we've really needed it to put a fucking sexist, racist, bigot, con artist in the white house. Its just like slapping the side of your microwave when it won't turn on. It will fix all of our problems.

But Clinton's emails though!

(I know I'm just repeating a popular line, but seriously, it is so fucking infuriating. So many true, legitimate, obvious scandals with Trump, yet nobody gives a fuck and instead focuses on invented nothingburgers like Email Ben Ghazi. I will never be able to let it go.)

Hazmat

But Hillary Clinton's foundation may have allowed for the possibility of a quid pro quo despite no evidence of wrongdoing being found!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom