• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War movies

For whatever reason. I have been watching War Movies lately.

I figured I'd make an all encompassing thread to discover something new or talk about what inspires us.

Some Recommendations:

Dunkirk

This movie gets better every time I watch it. Great visuals and amazing sound!

tumblr_p0nfhts7Oe1sn4rt4o4_400.gifv

Black Hawk Down

Ridley Scott with the nitty gritty. I always feels like I'm covered in dust and and dirt after this movie.

AccomplishedAstonishingKitfox-size_restricted.gif

Also, the cast is crazy filled:

OHaECa4.jpg

I want to watch Bridge over the River Kwai, so that's on my list.

Have any favorites for yourself?

carlosrox

Banned
Casualties of War.

Saw it when I was like 6 and it fucked me up.

Made me cry and to this day it still gets me every single time. It's the fucked up situation, music, and acting that get me. Speaking of the music, the heart wrenching theme was by none other than the recently passed Ennio Morricone.

Can't believe my brothers/parents let me watch that shit so young. The movie is fucking ruthless.

**SPOILERS** PIVOTAL SCENE

This fucks me up every time.

Last edited:
Tora! Tora! Tora!

The original Midway movie from the 70's.

Saving Private Ryan

Platoon

The original Red Dawn is actually a really good freakin film.

Also, not films but Band of Brothers and Generation Kill (HBO maxi-series).
Tora! Tora! Tora! < Been forever since I watched this.

Saving Private Ryan < Picked this up in 4K for the rewatch.

Red Dawn < this is a great movie, use to really freak me out as well.

Band of Brothers < one of the all time bests... man we they go in to liberate and the ghostly figures come walking out...

Generation Kill < need to watch.

Casualties of War.

Saw it when I was like 6 and it fucked me up.

Made me cry and to this day it still gets me every single time. It's the fucked up situation, music, and acting that get me. Speaking of the music, the heart wrenching theme was by none other than the recently passed Ennio Morricone.

Can't believe my brothers/parents let me watch that shit so young. The movie is fucking ruthless.

**SPOILERS** PIVOTAL SCENE

This fucks me up every time.

Damn, not meant for kid eyes... great movie. it has also caused lots of debate among friends. Sean Penn being a maniac and purposely made Fox feel uncomfortably on set.

bender

What time is it?
Saving Private Ryan has an amazing opening (especially in theaters) but I think the movie is kind of middling otherwise. I love the aviation and call to assist aspects of Dunkirk but I think the lack of CGI hurt the portrayal of the enormity of the evacuation as there are just so few soldiers on the beaches. I've yet to ever finish Apocalypse Now, it just puts me to sleep.

Some of my Favs:

-Band of Brothers (not a movie)
-Platoon
-Full Metal Jacket
-Black Hawk Down

carlosrox

Banned
Damn, not meant for kid eyes

Tell me about it. I was allowed to watch whatever since I was like 5 and I saw some really fucked up shit the likes of Jacob's Ladder and Don't Go In The House around that same time.

I saw way too much dark and depressing shit as a kid and I think it helped shape the person I am today.

Never knew about that cast dynamic before. Interesting!

Last edited:

Qwell

There is a full thread about it right now, but I would recommend The Outpost if you hadn't seen it yet.

Not the best, but I would say a pretty darn good war movie, definitely worth the price of admission. Kind of stinks it came out during the lockdown, not that I think it would have done gang busters in the theaters but it would have been nice to have the opportunity to see it on the big screen. But at least I have a decent home theater to experience it.

Other notables I enjoyed besides a lot people have already mentioned above:
We Were Soldiers (really need to watch this again soon)
Hacksaw Ridge

Looking forward to Greyhound on the 10th.

Hope it's good.

so damn good, filled with all kinds of life lessons

I literally remember trying that and cutting myself lol. Skin was too soft at the time. But I always used to just grab it with one hand and press my finger against the spot to open it. I thought I was cool lol.

Last edited:
Anyone that hasn't mentored Tropic Thunder can now congratulate themselves for officially becoming Ben Stiller.

On a serious note, I liked the Missing In Action series when I was a kid, as well as Hamburger Hill, Gallipoli, Merry Christmas Mr Laurence, Escape To Victory, and many more. The 80s were good times for war movies.

i thought the visuals of dunkirk were just sublime, best to date (BY FAR)

i just wish the plot and story were more compelling because the whole thing was basically the same stuff happening over and over (airplane shenanigans/explosions, etc.)

if only there was an escalating sense of tension and progression, dunkirk could have been the greatest war movie ever made

my dream movie is if alfonso cuaron and christopher nolan got together and said "OK YOU HANDLE VISUALS BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE WRITING, OKAY?"

that said, alfonso cuaron is pretty damn excellent at visuals himself, but nolan has that ability to bring that colossal sense of scale

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Some excellent recommendations in this thread. I'll add:

The Guns of Navarone is a classic for a reason. No introduction needed.

Where Eagles Dare. Plently of action, but has the hallmark of films of the 60/70s era: it's most memorable scene is filled with dialog that twists and turns. Bit of a glorification of war, but a thoroughly made film none-the-less.

The Counterfeiters. Based on a true story of a forger during World War II.

Five Came Back. Not a movie as such, but a documentary about film makers impacted by their filming of World War 2. I was glued to my screen.

The Hurt Locker. Looks at war itself as a drug, and the men who become addicted to it.

The Deer Hunter. Not a happy film. I still think about it from time to time all these years later.

Kadayi

Banned
The Thin Red Line

Being a Mallick Movie, it might be a little esoteric for some peoples taste, but it's fantastically directed, and a great meditation on war

Come and see

Pretty much the War Film equivalent of Requiem for a Dream, great film, but so harrowing that you won't necessarily ever want to re-watch it.

Cross of Iron

Sam Peckinpah directed tale of conflict between an ambitious German Officer keen for glory and a jaded but decorated Sergeant as they struggle to stay alive on the eastern front whilst facing down the relentless Russian advance.

Last edited:

Paasei

- Battle of Britain
- The Longest Day
- Saving Private Ryan
- Black Hawk Down
- Three Kings
- Enemy at the Gates
- Zwartboek (Dutch movie)
- Hongerwinter (originally a Dutch book)
- Schindler's List
- Escape From Sobibor
- The Deer Hunter
A little less serious but still cool : Fury and Inglorious Basterds

There are plenty of good war movies, these are a few I could instantly think of.

Some shows:
- Band of Brothers (my personal all time favorite)
- The Pacific
- Apocalypse WW2, WW1 and Stalin

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Everyone already mentioned the most necessary ones. I'll throw Jarhead into the mix, I've seen it quite a few times and always enjoy it. Great earlier work from Sam Mendes who's also responsible for 1917, Skyfall, American Beauty etc. and a pretty excellent performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. Does a good job at blending the funnier and more serious aspects of being in the Corps.

There's a "punchline" to this movie which gives it a fairly unique spin.

WilburW

Neo Member
1918 is good, I also enjoyed Fury and Saving Private Ryan. Also, if you want something that's not too serious, but still has a war thematic, I would suggest watching Inglorious Basterds by Quentin Tarantino.

kunonabi

The Bridge at Remagen is an interesting one. It's a surprisingly dark flick as it sort of looks at the morals and behaviour of the two sides coupled with an amazing score and a couple of moments that almost feel like a horror movie in terms of tension.

- Battle of Britain
- The Longest Day
- Saving Private Ryan
- Black Hawk Down
- Three Kings
- Enemy at the Gates
- Zwartboek (Dutch movie)
- Hongerwinter (originally a Dutch book)
- Schindler's List
- Escape From Sobibor
- The Deer Hunter
A little less serious but still cool : Fury and Inglorious Basterds

There are plenty of good war movies, these are a few I could instantly think of.

Some shows:
- Band of Brothers (my personal all time favorite)
- The Pacific
- Apocalypse WW2, WW1 and Stalin
Great list! I have not seen the Dutch ones. Paul Verhoven's violent movies were inspired by his war torn youth.

Some excellent recommendations in this thread. I'll add:

The Guns of Navarone is a classic for a reason. No introduction needed.

Where Eagles Dare. Plently of action, but has the hallmark of films of the 60/70s era: it's most memorable scene is filled with dialog that twists and turns. Bit of a glorification of war, but a thoroughly made film none-the-less.

The Counterfeiters. Based on a true story of a forger during World War II.

Five Came Back. Not a movie as such, but a documentary about film makers impacted by their filming of World War 2. I was glued to my screen.

The Hurt Locker. Looks at war itself as a drug, and the men who become addicted to it.

The Deer Hunter. Not a happy film. I still think about it from time to time all these years later.
I need to see most of these.

Five Came Back is fantastic. Really show the impact of Cinema / War movies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apocalypse Now is, IMO, the greatest movie ever made.

Maybe equally good is Paths of Glory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom