• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

How come I am always drawn into the losing team... spent 2 hours without a single win.

Wins arent overly important

Just focus on personal goals and scoring points!

Once a few more of my buds get Ps4 we are forming a squadron. Cant wait to actually have a wingman

elty

Once a few more of my buds get Ps4 we are forming a squadron. Cant wait to actually have a wingman

I really just want to get the daily double once per country and move on. This seems to take too much time as I regualrly need 3+ game per win.

Just tried another 3 games this morning and lost (all dominations). Still pissed that a single hit from a bomber tail gun knock out my pilot.

SmugFox

I'm really enjoying the tanks in this game. However they really need to work on the fps on the ps4. The jungle level and that new Carpathian forest level will run at like 10 fps while driving through the shrubbery.

Wins are very important actually. You gain research points much faster when you win. About double the amount of research points from a win, and then you have the chance at battle trophies and such if say, you destroy the most planes in the air or whatever. Which gives you even more research points.

Guys, I am so good st this game. Check it.

BpaBn6RCEAA8bBY.jpg:large

EDIT: This game is fun, but I'm finding the research and upgrades a bit difficult to grasp. Is there a how to play thread? Didn't see anything.

GodofWine

Guys, I am so good st this game. Check it.

BpaBn6RCEAA8bBY.jpg:large

EDIT: This game is fun, but I'm finding the research and upgrades a bit difficult to grasp. Is there a how to play thread? Didn't see anything.

Try youtube, there are some overviews that helped me out...nice landing :)

I just found out bombs rearm in arcade...my A20 all of a sudden sprouted new bombs mid flight and it didnt take all that long either. Do fights rearm bombs?? Im assuming it takes longer cause a) Ive never noticed it b) I never live very long

HariKari

I just found out bombs rearm in arcade...my A20 all of a sudden sprouted new bombs mid flight and it didnt take all that long either. Do fights rearm bombs?? Im assuming it takes longer cause a) Ive never noticed it b) I never live very long

Yes. In arcade, all munitions reload on a timer. Your 'reload' speed in your crew skill section determines how long this takes. Also, the type of aircraft matters. Bombers reload bombs faster than fighters that can carry a few bombs do as an example.

HariKari

So if I only play simulation or whatever, I shouldn't waste points on Reload?

Might affect your reload on the runway. Can't help you with that one, as I don't play historical or sim.

In other news, the new trees are starting to come out. 1.43 is supposedly going to be Japanese themed. It should really flesh out the middle of their tree with more Ki-61s, 43s, and 44s.

Wace

In other news, the new trees are starting to come out. 1.43 is supposedly going to be Japanese themed. It should really flesh out the middle of their tree with more Ki-61s, 43s, and 44s.

No complains on R2Y2 appearance? After all the "four I-185 only" thing? :)

Also, the trees published now aren't final, but more about what we're going to see in summer patches. Devs confirmed that Japan will have Ki-100, for example, and UK - Hawker's Sea Hawk F.1, they are just coming later. No G10N though. Possible "captured" premiums for Japan may include LaGG-3-8 and B-17E (unconfirmed).

Spent hours in this game yesterday. The bomber training blew me away visually. You feel the weight of this plane, and the scenery, my god, dense, mountainous jungle under a deep haze and fog with intense sunlight. Game is gorgeous. Switching to gunner view and picking off online opponent biplanes? priceless.

Cannot WAIT to get to the jet era, will put in the time.

Will definitely reward the dev, Gaijin, with some purchased DLC on PSN.

HariKari

No complains on R2Y2 appearance? After all the "four I-185 only" thing? :)

To be honest, the Japanese didn't have that many aircraft to choose from, even including prototypes. I don't really mind. So long as every country has something that is roughly 1:1 with another and is within the realm of historical probability, I don't care. You know it's going to be tier 40 and a million credits to repair.

The main thing that prevents me from supporting this game more is the childish moderation and overall shitty attitude of Gaijin. It's total amateur hour and I can't help but wish the game was in more competent hands.

How not to talk to customers

Wace

The main thing that prevents me from supporting this game more is the childish moderation and overall shitty attitude of Gaijin. It's total amateur hour and I can't help but wish the game was in more competent hands.
How not to talk to customers

They seriously need a good publisher to prevent stuff like this from happening. The only thing I can say in their defense here is that I'm not sure if this Senior Moderator is from the staff. He refers to Gaijin as "they", so... doubt that.

.ru forum is not so much better, unfortunately, but at least we have real developers and hist-consultants there, not just a bunch of mods.

EDIT: Read the whole thread. Wow. Just wow. I don't even know where to start. I know that some of the developers are frustrated with Steam and its' policies, but at least be nice to your customers. It seems like there's no real marketing department in Gaijin, most of the replies sound like some angry programmer was distracted from the task at hand to answer.

elty

Really have a love hate relationship with the A20. A20 is not a bomber as it has no bomb sight and start at fighter spawn point, which makes base bombing much harder. However, it was fun to shoot down unsuspecting planes with a forward cannon.

Best one was nearing the end of a domination game, an enemy plane sneaked to a runway and was about to land. Did a mad rush and throw out 3 bombs on a 30 degree turn, 2nd bomb killed the plane.

HariKari

Really have a love hate relationship with the A20. A20 is not a bomber as it has no bomb sight and start at fighter spawn point, which makes base bombing much harder. However, it was fun to shoot down unsuspecting planes with a forward cannon.

The A-20 is an attacker, so it's meant to kill ground targets. AAA, artillery, armored cars, light and medium tanks (with AP 50 cal ammo from behind), pillboxes etc...

These are all worth points and help your team win. 4x500 is pretty good for a 2.3 rating, and its defensive armament is nothing to scoff at.

GodofWine

These are all worth points and help your team win. 4x500 is pretty good for a 2.3 rating, and its defensive armament is nothing to scoff at.

agreed, with my A20, on base bombing missions, I can do one fast strike, climb away turn back and finish the base off before fighters pester me usually...then they destroy me.

but the turrets do get me some points...and god forbid a fighter wanders across my path, they die fast.

They seriously need a good publisher to prevent stuff like this from happening. The only thing I can say in their defense here is that I'm not sure if this Senior Moderator is from the staff. He refers to Gaijin as "they", so... doubt that.

.ru forum is not so much better, unfortunately, but at least we have real developers and hist-consultants there, not just a bunch of mods.

EDIT: Read the whole thread. Wow. Just wow. I don't even know where to start. I know that some of the developers are frustrated with Steam and its' policies, but at least be nice to your customers. It seems like there's no real marketing department in Gaijin, most of the replies sound like some angry programmer was distracted from the task at hand to answer.

What did it say? It's removed now. Also, here's IGN's review. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/war-thunder-review

HariKari

What did it say? It's removed now. Also, here's IGN's review. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/war-thunder-review

People were asking where the Dora pack went on Steam. It's not there anymore. So the thread devolved into a bunch of shit posts from mods and Gaijin folks, topped off by a bunch of inane gibberish from the worst mod of them all. Lots of "send in your resume if you think you can do better" and "you gambled and lost huehuehue" If that person worked for a major publisher here in the states, they would instantly be fired.

Valve only puts on sale what is contractually agreed to. I'm guessing Valve nuked the Dora pack after customer complaints that Gaijin wasn't giving what was advertised. Of course, the Gaijin posters in the thread will claim "we didn't know Valve was going to put it on sale" and "they limit the amount of packs we can have" blah blah

It got deleted for a reason. The reason is that it's embarrassing for any company that expects to earn your money to act that way.

Ground Forces really isn't doing anything for me. The matches are really short. The only that makes me want to keep playing is to unlock more tanks. The gamemode is like the bare minimum you could do for a videogame mode. Not liking it so far.

Aeroknight94

Neo Member
Are American planes on good for boom and zoom? because I just unlocked the p-38g and I'm getting destroyed when it comes to turn fighting. Turn fighting is my style, but I swear the American planes can do it. The p-400 was terrible

SmugFox

Ground Forces really isn't doing anything for me. The matches are really short. The only that makes me want to keep playing is to unlock more tanks. The gamemode is like the bare minimum you could do for a videogame mode. Not liking it so far.

Yeah, I kind of wish it was more like WW2 online. Where you would have huge sections of Europe to take over. The maps are way too small, the matches last like five minutes, and the tanks are still pretty janky. Hopefully it gets fleshed out with some more updates.

The downtime in War Thunder really gets me out of the mood to play, with the short rounds (tanks), long travel times for action (planes) or extreme queue times for non-Arcade game modes, where it takes far too long to find a game (Arcade finds a game in like 15 seconds, max. non-arcade is ???). I wish it was just snappier, easier, and faster to play, like instant rematches or something so the action wasn't so segmented and slow.

About the tank battles, they honestly make me want to play World of Tanks instead. The plane stuff, on the other hand, gets boring when 90% of my games are travel time or positioning.

I'd really like that mixed tank/plane mode, but I've never been able to find a match for it.

HariKari

Are American planes on good for boom and zoom? because I just unlocked the p-38g and I'm getting destroyed when it comes to turn fighting. Turn fighting is my style, but I swear the American planes can do it. The p-400 was terrible

P-38 isn't a turn fighter. Horrible roll rate.

World of Warplanes classifies the P-38 series as heavy fighters. More specifically, the P-38 line suffers in maneuverability, but makes up for it with good airspeed and excellent altitude performance (that is, the P-38 can reach and maintain higher altitudes than any other fighter of its tier). Given that World of Warplanes and War Thunder both derive their characteristics from the same (line of) plane(s), these characteristics should generally translate between the two, give or take a tiny bit due to balance tweaks.

elty

The A-20 is an attacker, so it's meant to kill ground targets. AAA, artillery, armored cars, light and medium tanks (with AP 50 cal ammo from behind), pillboxes etc...

What? The turret can kill tank? Do you have to aim manually in gunner mode?

Boogdud

I downloaded this on the ps4 the other night to try it. I'm an old school sim guy from back to the first falcon game, and have played about every one since. I thought this would be a nice ace combat type controlling, ww1-2 game for fun. But how in the hell do people control their plans? It seems to just be 'point the cursor where you want to fly' which really has me feeling like I have no real control of my plane. I tried to do the realistic controls but it seems to control the exact same way and you have nowhere enough buttons to assign the controls to. It looks like they just took the PC version and plugged in an unsupported controller.

I know the game might not be for me, but I just wanted to know if I was missing something before I uninstalled it.

I downloaded this on the ps4 the other night to try it. I'm an old school sim guy from back to the first falcon game, and have played about every one since. I thought this would be a nice ace combat type controlling, ww1-2 game for fun. But how in the hell do people control their plans? It seems to just be 'point the cursor where you want to fly' which really has me feeling like I have no real control of my plane. I tried to do the realistic controls but it seems to control the exact same way and you have nowhere enough buttons to assign the controls to. It looks like they just took the PC version and plugged in an unsupported controller.

I know the game might not be for me, but I just wanted to know if I was missing something before I uninstalled it.

This is purely second-hand, but I hear that the UI and things also seem to be straight from the PC version, rather than being tuned for consoles.

Wace

I tried to do the realistic controls but it seems to control the exact same way and you have nowhere enough buttons to assign the controls to.

Try to map your own controls. I've seen good DS4 setups described on reddit and WT forum, there are enough buttons (every directional button works as shift, for example), especially if you are flying fighter with same-caliber guns.

GodofWine

What happens when you run out of ammo belts...i noticed the number for specialty belts next to my loadout last night, said 29/30...i assume there is a cost in lions for more?? yay/nay?

Wace

What happens when you run out of ammo belts...i noticed the number for specialty belts next to my loadout last night, said 29/30...i assume there is a cost in lions for more?? yay/nay?

Specialty belts do run out, but, unless you removed "autorefill" tick you will automatically buy more inbetween battles, so unless you can spend ~15 belts in one flight you should be ok.

You can refill manually if you wish, but then there's a chance to forget to resupply and fly without the ammo. In that unlikely scenario land on your airfield and abandon the plane to keep damage to the minimum.

Aeroknight94

Neo Member
P-38 isn't a turn fighter. Horrible roll rate.

World of Warplanes classifies the P-38 series as heavy fighters. More specifically, the P-38 line suffers in maneuverability, but makes up for it with good airspeed and excellent altitude performance (that is, the P-38 can reach and maintain higher altitudes than any other fighter of its tier). Given that World of Warplanes and War Thunder both derive their characteristics from the same (line of) plane(s), these characteristics should generally translate between the two, give or take a tiny bit due to balance tweaks.

How in the hell do people use these planes? I mean when you fight against people they always slow down and then use a lot of maneuvers to dodge you. Using boom and zoom doesn't work for me because they either get behind you or somebody kills them.

Wace

Are you ready for bright Soviet future?..

http://warthunder.com/en/news/679-Future-of-the-Soviet-aviation-in-War-Thunder-en

There won't be much new Soviet planes, since most of them are in the game already, due to the obvious reasons: availability of hardware, manuals etc. to developers.

The only thing worth noting is Yak-30 (yeah, two planes ever built, who cares), everything else are either variants of existing planes or long-awaited bombers. Oh, and one flying boat.

Flambe

Ah love the games getting Terror of the Sky, Balancer and On Hand all in one go. Now if I can get it not in Arcade mode is the question =p

elty

When there are multiple models in the same research slot (for example, MiG 3 has 3 variants) do people usually research all of them, or only one?

When there are multiple models in the same research slot (for example, MiG 3 has 3 variants) do people usually research all of them, or only one?

"Depends on the person

I will usually only research a couple of planes in the same tier until moving onto the next one. But having variety is never a bad thing.

Last I saw this game had 55,000 people online over the weekend, peaking at 67,000. Love that.

HariKari

How in the hell do people use these planes? I mean when you fight against people they always slow down and then use a lot of maneuvers to dodge you. Using boom and zoom doesn't work for me because they either get behind you or somebody kills them.

The P-38 in a dive builds up a ton of energy. You should be able to comfortably pull away from your target without them having a chance to fire back. Do not try to slow down and turn with someone.

If you dive, miss, you can pull up into a vertical climb and use the camera to see if the person is turning to follow or not. If they aren't, roll back over and dive on them again. If they are, just keep up your climb. They'll be out of gun range pretty quickly if they were in it in the first place.

You need to be climbing at the start of a round, by the way. Climb high enough and nobody will be shooting at you. You'll be perched above the 'furball' of other players slugging it out and you can choose the most advantageous target. If there are six enemies, and five of them are headed in one direction, get the one guy who is by himself.

Keep your energy "up". That means turning speed into altitude whenever possible. A BnZ plane is dead in the water on the deck with no energy. Almost the entirety of the German tree plays this way. The Americans have capable brawlers in the Wildcats, Hellcat, and all of the Cobras. But for the most part, they do even better if you BnZ with them.

The P-38 is a preview of the P-47 aka one of the best planes in the game at its BR. BnZ fighters really benefit from getting all the engine mods, and the P-47 is a total pig before it gets injection. So hang in there.

GodofWine

Ok, next question, if im pretty good at bombing in my A20 with the 4 500lbers, are the bazookas worth it (rockets)?

im thinking of making them my last mod since I dont perceive a need for them.

(oh, and finishing of an enemy while gliding around with a dead engine(s) is like the best thing ever)

HariKari

Ok, next question, if im pretty good at bombing in my A20 with the 4 500lbers, are the bazookas worth it (rockets)?

im thinking of making them my last mod since I dont perceive a need for them.

They do zero splash damage, so I didn't find them to be better than the 4x500 loadout. You also spend more time worrying about lining up a good shot than you do actually using them. I guess the upside is that you can use them for air-to-air combat, but anyone going head on with an A20 in the first place is pretty dumb.

(oh, and finishing of an enemy while gliding around with a dead engine(s) is like the best thing ever)

Yes. Don't give up until the game takes away control. I've gotten many kills, including three in a row with a dead engine. Always use zoom to check if someone moving slowly has no engine and never go head-on with anyone already on fire (unless it's a bomber).

That way, you don't end up in a video like this one.

Heard so many good things about this game, loaded it up, finished tutorial, and played a single arcade battle. Not bad, went to launch a realistic battle and quit after waiting 7 minutes or so. Is this par for the course. I'm thinking arcade is a little too...arcade-y for me, but 7+ minute queues for every game seems prohibitive. At least ffxiv arr let's you run around during the 20 minute queues..

Heard so many good things about this game, loaded it up, finished tutorial, and played a single arcade battle. Not bad, went to launch a realistic battle and quit after waiting 7 minutes or so. Is this par for the course. I'm thinking arcade is a little too...arcade-y for me, but 7+ minute queues for every game seems prohibitive. At least ffxiv arr let's you run around during the 20 minute queues..

I would try arcade instead of just thinking that way.

But yeah, realistic mode will have less people playing thus a bit longer wait. Arcade-y mode has like 50,000 people going at it, usually only takes 10-15 seconds.

Pimpbaa

If you can, try to get this on PC instead of PS4. The games default controls are made for a mouse and unless you are playing sim battles, it's harder to compete just using a DS4. Mouse and keyboard do work for this game on the PS4, but the low framerate is another hindrance to playing this game optimally (makes the game feel laggy). I do hope they work on PS4 performance though, it really should run a whole lot better than it does.

The biggest thing is to get up far higher than they can reach if you have the altitude performance advantage on them (which you typically will), deploy your flaps as you dive so as to keep shooting at them for as long as you can, make sure you are a long distance away from them as you open fire so that they can't maneuver too rapidly out of your aim, and then outrun them in a straight line if they risk getting behind you if you have the speed advantage on them (which you typically will), since turning will bleed speed and you can't outmaneuver them.

This type of fighting style and family of characteristics (twin-engine planes with high top speed but inclination to bleed it during turns, effectiveness at high altitudes, and powerful guns) is what led World of Warplanes to make the P-38 series lead to the F7F Tigercat, and from there to the XF5U Flying Pancake prototype, from there to the F2H Banshee (the only carrier-based jet Canada ever owned, as a fun fact), and from there to the XF-90 Needle-Nose prototype. Despite the line containing two prototypes and there being hardly a single shared manufacturer between them, these planes all have this fighting style.

It works in World of Warplanes, it worked in real life, and it should work in War Thunder. You're essentially fighting the way a jet would compared to a more agile propeller aircraft: with a few agile exceptions, most jets are at their best when they're fighting in straight lines rather than turn battles.

HariKari

Have to laugh at the G8N1 being rarely shot down. Because it's hard to shoot down something when it's in a low earth orbit over the target area.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What's a good package to buy for this game? Starting out on PS4 an don't mind buying a "full game" in a sense.

Also I'm really only seeing two maps in the base game (in Arcade mode) is that correct? In Entak video's I'm seeing snow maps.

Top Bottom