• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft III Reforged Edition (Remaster) Announced!

TexMex

Yeah, this seems to be just the general anti Blizzard sentiment. Nevermind.

As for campaign differences, didn’t finish it in 2003, won’t finish it now. Never cared, only in it for multiplayer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You have some reading comprehension issues regarding your own post then.
No, you do. I was clearly referring to how you were claiming I should be an adult and research shit, ie I behaved childishly and unlike an adult (not an insult, right?), just because I pointed out your video didn't match your claims and asked if you have one that does match since you're the one who made the claim to begin with.

Last edited:

manfestival

watching some of these cutscenes again for the first time in YEARS. I cannot help but feel like Arthas was right but was surrounded by people that were too stuck up on being "good people" rather than being realistic. Feels bad man

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Well for starters you and the one who post "marked as blizz-hater" looks nothing but "stop disliking the game I like!1!". Also your comment of pro tip doesn't do you any favors.

I think when you go through the catalog of Blizzard games and profess your hate for them and the company, it's reasonable to make a Blizzard hater connection :) That wasn't directed at you by the way

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Old:
5girY48.jpg

New:
E4xnTWI.jpg

Another comparison

0fb78708-7f13-87b7-80ba-294dd9ca25ce

lol

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I just got into WoW last year. That got me wanting to try this so I bought it. It's downloaded and home and ready to go. You guys are really killing my buzz.

Reon

I can't believe how ugly the Reforged version of this game is. This port is almost inexcusable, the only thing it has going for it is compatibility on modern hardware and I don't particularly remember the original Warcraft 3 being hard to run on Windows 10...

I don't want to support an industry where retconning and redesigning elements from the re-releases of older games is permissible. It tramples on the legacy of these franchises and the original artistic vision. Also I've noticed nobody has mentioned the updated EULA yet where the modding scene has the following restrictions placed on it:

No characters from other IPs can be modded in, this means if you grew up playing the extremely popular DBZ and Naruto mods, those are banned outright.
Mods can be removed for any reason whatsoever without Blizzard owing you an explanation as to why. So effectively all of your mods have to be Blizzard sanctioned, no third-party delivery system for this stuff.
Any mods you've created for Warcraft 3 Reforged are owned entirely by Blizzard. Your maps, your code, everything you've done is wholly owned by them and can be resold or monetized however they want. This appears to be a response to them getting cucked out of DotA2.

Absolutely shameful display, I don't know why the people supporting this game don't just go play the original release instead.

TexMex

I don't know why the people supporting this game don't just go play the original release instead.

You can't anymore, unless you use some private system like Netease to back your way into it, but even then you don't have the player base.

Reon

You can't anymore, unless you use some private system like Netease to back your way into it, but even then you don't have the player base.
Really? Did they take down Battle.net support for it? I know you can still play Diablo 2 and StarCraft 1 on Battle.net so I assumed Warcraft 3 was the same way. I wonder if it's because of this release that they dropped support for it. If so that's extra scummy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Really? Did they take down Battle.net support for it? I know you can still play Diablo 2 and StarCraft 1 on Battle.net so I assumed Warcraft 3 was the same way. I wonder if it's because of this release that they dropped support for it. If so that's extra scummy.

They didn't take it down, they applied this version as a patch on the old game.

Compare how Blizzard handled this to the way MS handled AOE2. You can still buy the HD version of AOE2 if you want to. But the DE version looks great (pulls off the "it looks like the game you remembered in your head" thing), has really smart and desired improvements and fixes, all the old content (polished up a bit), and some new content. It's just a brilliant package that fans took to immediately. It's the polar opposite of what this is.

Last edited:

TexMex

Yep, it's gone.

You can link your classic account with Reforged to merge stats though. The player bases are entirely merged.

You can also use the original WC3 classic visual assets cross play with Reforged, but you do have to have Reforged to play.

Which definitely sucks, because I do prefer the classic look, and the B.net UI by a mile. But for me the money is worth just upping the player base, and getting everyone on the new launcher. With classic WC3/TFT - you would have to wait forever to find players on ladder games - if at all. There were no big team games available in the West servers. EU servers you could find games after prolonged waits. There would regularly only be a couple hundred people playing at any given time. It sucked.

Wait, what? Who the Hell thought that this was a good idea?

It's remarkable how they shot themselves in the foot with these anti-consumer strategies.

Last edited:
let's call it what this is: a low effort cash grab praying on the nostalgia of existing fans, while simultaneously make everyone use their new launcher and go online, as well as take ownership of all mods/custom maps.

If they had any confidence on this product, they wouldn't release this silently without little to no marketing. They are just trying to sweep this under the rug.

It's amazing people still defend this. Stop drinking the koolaid.

lefty1117

Gold Member
let's call it what this is: a low effort cash grab praying on the nostalgia of existing fans, while simultaneously make everyone use their new launcher and go online, as well as take ownership of all mods/custom maps.

If they had any confidence on this product, they wouldn't release this silently without little to no marketing. They are just trying to sweep this under the rug.

It's amazing people still defend this. Stop drinking the koolaid.

I'm having a great time with the game so far. I don't share your concerns, but for your sake I hope they can address them in some way. Meanwhile I'm heading back into the campaign.

Reon

Yep, it's gone.

You can link your classic account with Reforged to merge stats though. The player bases are entirely merged.

You can also use the original WC3 classic visual assets cross play with Reforged, but you do have to have Reforged to play.

Which definitely sucks, because I do prefer the classic look, and the B.net UI by a mile. But for me the money is worth just upping the player base, and getting everyone on the new launcher. With classic WC3/TFT - you would have to wait forever to find players on ladder games - if at all. There were no big team games available in the West servers. EU servers you could find games after prolonged waits. There would regularly only be a couple hundred people playing at any given time. It sucked.
Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I have the older version around but I haven't tried to use it in a hot minute, that's really, really unfortunate. I guess I can't expect anything better from Blizzard these days.

I'm having a great time with the game so far. I don't share your concerns, but for your sake I hope they can address them in some way. Meanwhile I'm heading back into the campaign.

I'm glad you're having fun, but everybody knows Warcraft 3 is fun. We all like Warcraft 3, that's why we're talking about it so passionately. The problem is with this version of it, it offers nothing new and actively detracts from the experience we all know and love.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Getting to revisit Warcraft 3 after all these years is great. The models are fantastically detailed. Blizzard didn’t have to reinvent the wheel as the game holds up and is still great fun. I was surprised how much fun it still was. If you want to play it in the original form, you still can. It’s worth $30.

MMaRsu

Banned
Getting to revisit Warcraft 3 after all these years is great. The models are fantastically detailed. Blizzard didn’t have to reinvent the wheel as the game holds up and is still great fun. I was surprised how much fun it still was. If you want to play it in the original form, you still can. It’s worth $30.

Ahh great 30 dollars for a high res texture pack :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Clowns buying this instead of AGE OF EMPIRES 2 DEFINITIVE EDITION are doing the industry a disservice. Rewarding low quality effort with big money. Keep perpetuating that garbage that Blizzard tries to pawn off as remaster. I'll keep playing my original copy thx.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I agree with MMaRsu MMaRsu

This was handled poorly, and the amount of over promising by Blizzard is abysmal

Not to mention their whole "We're not releasing our Google stuff in China!"
Like no shit; Google isn't in China. I get you gotta save face after politicians wagged a finger at you, but any person with 2 cents of brain would catch that....

Blizzard should re-learn to respect it's player base; when Blizzard was a company made up of gamers, making games for gamers, it was great.

Dev1lXYZ

Ahh great 30 dollars for a high res texture pack :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Clowns buying this instead of AGE OF EMPIRES 2 DEFINITIVE EDITION are doing the industry a disservice. Rewarding low quality effort with big money. Keep perpetuating that garbage that Blizzard tries to pawn off as remaster. I'll keep playing my original copy thx.

👌 Its quite obvious that your expectations of the final product are different than mine. New models and textures are more than a texture pack. I'm happy with the game we got. It met my expectation. AOE is great too. I have them both on game pass.

diffusionx

Gold Member
👌 Its quite obvious that your expectations of the final product are different than mine. New models and textures are more than a texture pack. I'm happy with the game we got. It met my expectation. AOE is great too. I have them both on game pass.

My expectation was that Blizzard would treat one of their best games and its fans with the respect it and they deserved. That expectation was not met.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

My expectation was that Blizzard would treat one of their best games and its fans with the respect it and they deserved. That expectation was not met.

Blizzard knew that messing with the game too much would warrant a backlash from fans. I get why they went with the plan they did. You wanted some kind of new experience beyond a visual upgrade and that wasn’t what this is. I never expected it to be anything more and didn’t want it to be.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Blizzard knew that messing with the game too much would warrant a backlash from fans. I get why they went with the plan they did. You wanted some kind of new experience beyond a visual upgrade and that wasn’t what this is. I never expected it to be anything more and didn’t want it to be.

No, I didn't want that. I wanted the same thing that MS did with AOE/AOE2 DE, this is the opposite of that. Blizzard forced a mandatory update that throws them into a new launcher and new EULA, broke a ton of shit, added new graphics that look like ass, and left out the upgrades and changes they said it would have. AOE2 DE did none of these things.

WC3 and WC3 fans deserve much better than this.

Last edited:

jwj442

Age of Empires II Definitive fully refreshed the graphics and audio, made various QOL improvements, polished and tweaked the old campaigns and completely redid some of the more ill-received ones, and added almost an expansion's worth of content with four new civs and four new campaigns (meaning you're effectively getting five expansions included). All for a cheaper price tag.

And ironically, Microsoft's support for the Age games back in the day was generally worse than Blizzard's for their RTSes.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

No, I didn't want that. I wanted the same thing that MS did with AOE/AOE2 DE, this is the opposite of that. Blizzard forced a mandatory update that throws them into a new launcher and new EULA, broke a ton of shit, added new graphics that look like ass, and left out the upgrades and changes they said it would have. AOE2 DE did none of these things.

WC3 and WC3 fans deserve much better than this.

MS has a new AOE coming out. I can see why the did what they did. No new Warcraft RTS in the works. Blizzard is concerned on making the new expansion to WoW and the sequel to Overwatch. I'm pretty excited with the potential of the new games that will be made with the Reforged editor. There's always that to look forward to as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
MS has a new AOE coming out. I can see why the did what they did. No new Warcraft RTS in the works. Blizzard is concerned on making the new expansion to WoW and the sequel to Overwatch. I'm pretty excited with the potential of the new games that will be made with the Reforged editor. There's always that to look forward to as well.

"Well, we're asking $30 for a piece of shit because we aren't trying to sell anything else" - good luck with that Blizz.

I'd recommend keeping your expectations low on the new editor and custom maps - nobody is going to be too excited about wading in when everyone hates your game.

Dev1lXYZ

"Well, we're asking $30 for a piece of shit because we aren't trying to sell anything else" - good luck with that Blizz.

I'd recommend keeping your expectations low on the new editor and custom maps - nobody is going to be too excited about wading in when everyone hates your game.

Time will tell. Hopefully, we see it supported. On another note, can we get an AOE thread going?

Ixiah

Banned
Boy, if that Remake is any indication on how Blizzard is making games these Days, Diablo 4 is gonna be amazing!
/s

Our opinions don't matter to them. Complain all you want. Blizzard is now a Chinese company. We serve to subsidize and beta test their games before they're released to that market. For all you evil-doers out there, quite an ingenious plan, I must say.

no one is gonna make anything because blizzard will own anything you make. They are still salty about Dota.

Broodwar Remastered is still missing features that they had promised so don't expect they'll spend any resources on this either.

Lol dude disingenuous much? This is like arguing that you saw a trailer for John Wick 4, went to watch the movie, and it was actually a postman pat movie and going "Yup definitely what I expected!"

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Do you understand that a texture pack would be placing new textures on the old models, which quite obviously wasn’t done? They created entirely new models and placed the new textures on the new models.

wow some new models, outsourced and all. How much do you think it cost Blizz to do that? 😂 Couple of hours in maya and there ya go

fan mods look better than this

Doczu

Man i just went in this thread from page 1 and it's sad to see how the people went from hype to fuck you.
But deserved, reforged is nothing like it was teased and promised.
Bummer.

Flintty

They didn't take it down, they applied this version as a patch on the old game.

Compare how Blizzard handled this to the way MS handled AOE2. You can still buy the HD version of AOE2 if you want to. But the DE version looks great (pulls off the "it looks like the game you remembered in your head" thing), has really smart and desired improvements and fixes, all the old content (polished up a bit), and some new content. It's just a brilliant package that fans took to immediately. It's the polar opposite of what this is.

Does that mean I can’t play my original copy? 😑

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

this review seems fair and honest,
def room for improvement
i would advise people to wait and see what blizz will do to fix the current bugs and then jump in!

warcraft 3 is still an amazing game

Belmonte

I miss the comic book aspect of the characters and art. It is one of the things I love about the original. Arthas seems like a medieval Sephiroth in this one.

MMaRsu

Banned

this review seems fair and honest,
def room for improvement
i would advise people to wait and see what blizz will do to fix the current bugs and then jump in!

warcraft 3 is still an amazing game

Not with the way they fucked this release

Top Bottom