• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

thumb

Banned
You guys are awesome and that Wiki is put together way nicer than most.

So your advice is to just focus on choosing one of the three starter ones and then choosing which one I want next after... I mean, what do I do with them? Do you upgrade them? Is this shown visually? At what point should I start trying for another frame?

All of this will probably become apparent when I start playing I bet but asking just in case. Will go over the Wiki though.

Ummm. That second image man... Might want to delete that...

I was using Bing. And some gifs where at top as well as some others... Maybe I put just "Female warframe" without the s. Not gonna look again lol.

Basically, your early-game goal will be to unlock the entire starchart by completing missions. In the process, you will collect mods (upgrades) and resources, learn the ins and outs of your warframe, and become acquainted with the game mechanics. I wouldn't worry about getting another frame until you have a few planets under your belt.

Take it slow. Enjoy things. You don't need to be in a hurry to do anything.

Oh, and for your first ten missions (or longer), I would play solo. Co-op public play tends to move at a super hectic pace. You need to take your time and figure things out.

Basically, your early-game goal will be to unlock the entire starchart by completing missions. In the process, you will collect mods (upgrades) and resources, learn the ins and outs of your warframe, and become acquainted with the game mechanics. I wouldn't worry about getting another frame until you have a few planets under your belt.

Thank you. But that's hard after taking a look at the various frames on the Wiki...

Seriously though, I'll try to put it out of my mind for now and focus on learning the basics.

EDIT: Solo it is. How beneficial is public play? I mean, the more beneficial it is the more I'm going to want to learn everything in order to get there right? Do you get better stuff with more people like in Borderlands?

Laiza

Thank you. But that's hard after taking a look at the various frames on the Wiki...

Seriously though, I'll try to put it out of my mind for now and focus on learning the basics.

EDIT: Solo it is. How beneficial is public play? I mean, the more beneficial it is the more I'm going to want to learn everything in order to get there right? Do you get better stuff with more people like in Borderlands?
There's no XP penalty for partying and more stuff spawns the more people there are, so yes, more people = more gooder.

thumb

Banned

This is important, because different frames excel at different things. And those things will only become meaningful once you've played the game for a while. Then your choice of frames will be more purposeful. You might think "I really need a tank frame" or "I need a frame with great AoE to be effective on this mission" or whatever.

Also, remember that almost everything in Warframe is farmable. You don't need to buy frames or weapons with real money if you don't want to. And at least starting out, it's a good idea to get a sense of what building a frame is like and what it requires.

Also, Excalibur is a good starter. All the starters will work, but he's the best all-round starter.

Having played since closed beta, the support DE has given this game is beyond just about every F2P game I've ever seen or played. This open world zone looks ridiculous and I'm hoping the Eidolon fights deliver.

Also, Excalibur is a good starter. All the starters will work, but he's the best all-round starter.

Excalibur is far and beyond the best starting frame. Mag is better left not talked about, and Volt is decent but needs some better modding to get him going at his best. Excal is good even with no mods.

VariantX

Also starting out, DO NOT pick Mag as your starter. You'll have a really bad time. Mag needs alot of mods most of which take hours of playing to just be not completely terrible. The other two starters dont need the mods to be good because their powers are useful by design. Pull and magnetize are good. Polarize does fuck all damage but restores shields. Shields have no damage mitigation and take the full damage from attacks and bleed and toxic attacks completely bypass them. Crush is probably the worst 4(ult power) in the game because its poor at damage and crowd control. Her low armor will result in lots of deaths. Excalibur is your best choice and Volt is an ok choice.

Thanks guys, yeah, I just finished the three starters profile vids and I was leaning towards Excalibur.

As I am waiting for the download, is there any specific part of the Wiki I would benefit scouring before I start the game? Otherwise I'm going to end up sitting here going through all the profile vids lol.

Shengar

Excalibur is far and beyond the best starting frame. Mag is better left not talked about, and Volt is decent but needs some better modding to get him going at his best. Excal is good even with no mods.
Hey reworked Mag is good against anything that is not infested. Always managed to deal most damage when Nova isn't around.

I agree though Excal is best starting frame considering his kit is complete.

thumb

Banned

For sure. But for unlocking a few planets, she's fine. Some new players may really want to play a female character, and she's the only starter female available.

As I am waiting for the download, is there any specific part of the Wiki I would benefit scouring before I start the game? Otherwise I'm going to end up sitting here going through all the profile vids lol.

Understand how modding works and the "vital" mods you want to be searching for as you play, and how the Affinity (XP) system works.

This is for pS4 version too right?

Eventually, once the PC players work out the kinks of everything.

Hey reworked Mag is good against anything that is not infested. Always managed to deal most damage when Nova isn't around.

"Good" I guess but her armor stripping isn't that great and losing her shield stripping really hurt bad. Plus if you don't have a Magnetize bubble up she's shredded faster than wet paper.

Man that looks amazing and makes me want to play the game right now but it's hot as fuck in California and I don't want my computer to overheat.

VariantX

How much of the content can you access without having to fork over money and or grind for the rest of my life?

All of it except cosmetic stuff. Grinding only happens when you're really in completionist mode and want Everything or one specific thing.

Man that looks amazing and makes me want to play the game right now but it's hot as fuck in California and I don't want my computer to overheat.

Luckily for you, this game runs great on a toaster.

How much of the content can you access without having to fork over money and or grind for the rest of my life?

A lot can be accomplished before dedicating yourself to the grind, actually.

"How much of the content can you access without having to fork over money and or grind for the rest of my life?"

Depends on what you call "content." Just seeing all of the game (except the two raids) won't really require a grind at all. Level up different weapons and warframes to increase your mastery rank, blow through the starchart, play through the quests. No money, no grind.

Getting Prime equipment or rare mods, maximizing those mods, etc. That'll start to take up some time, but still no money required.

You really don't need to spend a dime.

Melchiah

I'm not a big fan of open world, but I guess I should try this game again. It seems like it's changed a lot from what I played in the first month after the PS4 launch. Some of our Destiny group have also moved on to there, and have spoken highly of it. Although, I've also heard that you apparently get to the good stuff later on, and you just have to endure the early parts.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow, the support this game has received.

I just redeemed the Frost Prime from Twitch Prime too so perfect timing to return I think!

Danneee

I tried going back to this a few months ago but I'm stuck at some infiltration story mission that's impossible to solo and no one else is playing:/

saw a post in the community thread mentioning this and i was like "wut?"

then i saw the vids and

urx1NXn.gif

"How much of the content can you access without having to fork over money and or grind for the rest of my life?"

Depends on what you call "content." Just seeing all of the game (except the two raids) won't really require a grind at all. Level up different weapons and warframes to increase your mastery rank, blow through the starchart, play through the quests. No money, no grind.

Getting Prime equipment or rare mods, maximizing those mods, etc. That'll start to take up some time, but still no money required.

Indeed.

Hell you can make your own money in it providing you have the stuff to get started.

the only thing would be those prime accessories that would appear in prime access but even then its just cosmetic stuff you can easily do without.

Veal

Warframe of the Wild? Man, to think that this started from Dark Sector of all games! What a crazy transformation for a franchise!

Dreavus

Wow, looks amazing. I might jump back on for a bit. I played the ever loving hell out of this game when it was first in beta but dropped off quite a while ago.

I really like what they're doing with the background/lore stuff. I thought the tutorial missions were awesome with the dude infecting your frame and everything fully voice acted. Is there much more of that stuff nowadays?

"I really like what they're doing with the background/lore stuff. I thought the tutorial missions were awesome with the dude infecting your frame and everything fully voice acted. Is there much more of that stuff nowadays?"

They've added a number of story quests, complete with voice acting and cutscenes, fleshing out more of the lore.

Also starting out, DO NOT pick Mag as your starter.[...] Excalibur is your best choice and Volt is an ok choice.

As somebody who started with Mag - yeah, don't pick her. Pick Excalibur because he's the biggest PITA to obtain of the three. Like seriously, he was the last frame I got (including all primes) because not only do you have to RNG the drops, but you have to actually farm points to fight the boss. Saryn is the only other frame like that, but I managed to get lucky on her. Also he's the most useful without a prime variant you can obtain.

For sure. But for unlocking a few planets, she's fine. Some new players may really want to play a female character, and she's the only starter female available.

While she does make the Specter fights an absolute joke, she's also really easy to obtain quickly. If someone is serious about getting into the game then they're doing themselves no favor picking her as their starter.

"What is this game most similar to? Is it like PSO? Can you use a controller on PC?"

It's quite similar to PSO insofar as it's a mission-based ARPG. Yes, you can use a controller.

Head.spawn

Ummm. That second image man... Might want to delete that...

I was using Bing. And some gifs where at top as well as some others... Maybe I put just "Female warframe" without the s. Not gonna look again lol.

Bing knows your hearts true desires.

Any quick recommendations/tips for noobs before diving in?

I've played maybe two or three on levels on PC/XBO years ago.

Truant

?

When I last played this game they had like two mission types that were identical, set on small interior levels.

Keasar

That is actually really damn cool.

I've played quite a lot of Warframe (for me at least, 400 hours), and there was one thing I wished for: I quite liked the world of Warframe and I remember saying that I wished there were more opportunities to experience the "normal" people's lives in the game.

This is quite an step way beyond what I wished for. :p

Top Bottom