• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War closed Beta

Sirolf

I just installed the beta...
Very very nice gfx and nice soundtrack.The interface is very reminescent of Starcraft and the textures are astounding for a RTS!!Sure it is not W3 :)
More gameplay impressions later when i'll be back home..

Mrbob

Yah but this game has orcs and space marines so it is like they are mixing warcraft and starcraft together.

Slo

It's like neither, aside from the fact that there are orks and space marines. There is no traditional resource managment, as it doesn't make sense in the Warhammer universe to have these highly trained killing machines be collecting pine cones 30 feet behind the front line. Instead, you gain resources by controlling territory, much like Battlefield 1942. You must go out and capture land, and the more bases you control the more units you can purchase. A very scary gameplay idea for paranoid turtlers like me. :)

Also, there's the concept of morale. If your units are making kills they'll get all jacked up and go on rampages. Conversly if you're being pummelled, you will will be broken and your units will turn into limp wristed little sissies.

Mrbob

Heh, that is probably true, but I need something to relate too since I know virtually nothing about the Warhammer franchise.

This game is one of the worst abominations of all time. Hitler must be proud of the sick fucks who made this game. Forget Tubgirl, looking at screens of this is the most disgusting thing on the internet.

But there is only one way that I can be proven wrong *nudge*nudge*

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Newbie said:
This game is one of the worst abominations of all time. Hitler must be proud of the sick fucks who made this game. Forget Tubgirl, looking at screens of this is the most disgusting thing on the internet.

Oh so we're talking about Kings of War now?

Pachinko

I'd love to try this one out, the territory capturing concept reminds me of the oldest and still pretty much best RTS out there - Herzog Zwei. It's just too bad I don't have a gamespy founder membership... cough

teepo

Pachinko said:
I'd love to try this one out, the territory capturing concept reminds me of the oldest and still pretty much best RTS out there - Herzog Zwei. It's just too bad I don't have a gamespy founder membership... cough

you sure a one month subscription won't work? it does say or next to founder...

... hmmm, how come I didn't get a PM. Think you missed one, Bish. ;)

Dammit, noone takes me seriously. Think its my junior member status... :(

Slo

I only had a chance to play a little bit of the tutorial, I'm hoping to play a lot more this weekend. Man do I love not mining resources!

Goddamnit, dl'd the beta and now the installer's giving me some crap about the filesize being wrong. Grrr....700 MB download again. Awesome.

And if this is an allocation block issue, I'ma punch somebody.

Mrbob

GD: What's the most vitally important thing to get across for Dawn of War?

JD: This is a brand new experience in RTS games. We're trying to shake the mold a little bit, and add the level of excitement and entertainment that you're used to getting in action and first-person shooter games. If you're a fan of StarCraft and Total Annihilation, then you'll love battling on the front lines in Dawn of War.

Sold! Well, I am still buying it regardless of this quote. :D I like all of Relics RTS games. Yes, Impossible Creatures is cool too. I'm glad Relic is developing the game so Warhammer n00bs like me can get into it.

Top Bottom