• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

EYEL1NER

Alright friends so I finally caved in and bought my first mini army but I went second hand market from a player at a local store that stopped playing his tau a couple years ago. So here is my new army:
1 Commander Farsight (painted very well)
2 Broadsides
14 Stealth battlesuits
18 Crisis Suits
38 Fire Warriors
2 Devilfish
2 Codexes(kauyon and regular tau)
1 Rulebook
6 battlepod things
30 dice(die)
1 Case with foam inserts
All for 200 dollars. How did I do and do I need to spend anything else in order to make my army viable? Was initially considering playing only Kill Team with a start collecting box but I went all in instead
I don't know much about Tau armies but I am pretty sure you did pretty well on that one. $200 for an army of that size seems great. I can't speak as to whether there is anything you need to add to get it legally onto a table or not though but if you do need anything, it shouldn't be too many minis.

Alright friends so I finally caved in and bought my first mini army but I went second hand market from a player at a local store that stopped playing his tau a couple years ago. So here is my new army:
1 Commander Farsight (painted very well)
2 Broadsides
14 Stealth battlesuits
18 Crisis Suits
38 Fire Warriors
2 Devilfish
2 Codexes(kauyon and regular tau)
1 Rulebook
6 battlepod things
30 dice(die)
1 Case with foam inserts
All for 200 dollars. How did I do and do I need to spend anything else in order to make my army viable? Was initially considering playing only Kill Team with a start collecting box but I went all in instead

I've pretty recently started a mini Tau army (exclusively for 500-750 point battles to keep the size down. Assuming it's all in fairly good condition you got a really good deal there! As for getting it on the table, you have your minimum HQ (Farsight) and two troops choices (Fire Warriors) for a Combined Arms detachment so you're good to go. The rest of it's great - crisis suits are excellent, you've got a couple of transports, extra Fire Warriors and Broadsides are always fun.

Only thing I'd personally consider as an essential addition is a good source of Markerlights, either drones or (preferably) Pathfinders. Tau are all about using certain units to strengthen and assist other units, they really shine when working together and markerlights are the best example of that.

manfestival

Hey I want to buy my nephew a book for 40k to help him get into the lore. However, he doesn't know anything about any of 40k. What is a good place to start him at? If possible I will head over to games workshop and buy the book from there if in stock

Hey I want to buy my nephew a book for 40k to help him get into the lore. However, he doesn't know anything about any of 40k. What is a good place to start him at? If possible I will head over to games workshop and buy the book from there if in stock

Which faction does he like?
Edit: I would recommend the Horus Hersey or Gaunt's Ghost.

He isn't into warhammer. He is open to any fiction and was just looking for a good introduction to the universe. However, I would prefer anything not space wold related :p

I always suggest a book of short stories belcause the reader gets a bit of everything. They can branch out from there if any interest is sparked.

Tizoc

My order of the ahrdcover Brothers of the Snake has arrived :3
now to get around to actually reading them @o@

EDIT: Ooof $40 for Eisenhorn Xenos audiobook @_@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMtgswEn0Ok

screenshot2016-12-20a0apm9.png

screenshot2016-12-20abdp1q.png

screenshot2016-12-20agkp9s.png

1482220092226.jpg

1482220077347.jpg

1482221513960.jpg

1482221203919.jpg

Wow! :D

Mindwipe

I much preferred the cape lifted up as faux angel wings that the old Celestine had (how does she walk?), but otherwise that's a pretty nice set of models.

Acosta

Man, reading the Horus Heressy is exhausting (fun too).

So far:

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
The Flight of Eisenstein
Fulgrim

And just now Descent of Angels (pretty enjoyable).

Legion is next, but after that I don't now if I should go for Battle of the Abyss or start jumping around. I don't see myself buying every single book.

I am sure GW will dry this cow empty before we arrive to the Siege of Terra, so I think I should try to be more mindful of what I read from the series to avoid burnout.

And I have Nightlords omnibus around too, I had the idea of reading it after Horus Heresy but doesn't look like a reasonable thing to do anymore.

Incoming Transmission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nNfIpXYkzs

Fall of Cadia Teaser Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uehKu7g_uLc

The Eye of Terror is about to open and unleash a tide of darkness, Daemons and traitors into an already beset Imperium. Against the unified might of the Traitor Legions stand the heroes of the Cadian Gate, who will stop at nothing to drive back the Gathering Storm.

The scene is set for the most epic narrative in the history of the 41st Millennium – a fitting celebration of 30 years of Warhammer 40,000 and a great way to kick off the next 30 years of grim darkness in the far future.

The Gathering Storm begins with the epic events detailed in the Fall of Cadia – available for pre-order on January 7th.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/12/20/gathering-storm-first-look/

Looks like Eldar opening the web way for an Inquisitor led Templar army with an Adeptus Mechanicus Magos in attendance?

Very desperate times if any of that is true!

Seriously. They must be the most xenophobic marines there are so that eldar should be just a red smear on the ground by that point. And who'd trust a dark eldar?

Seriously. They must be the most xenophobic marines there are so that eldar should be just a red smear on the ground by that point. And who'd trust a dark eldar?

Not sure he's a Dark Eldar. I thought he was at first because he doesn't fit any existing archetype, but there is a spirit stone on his belt. Dark Eldar do not use spirit stones to my knowledge. Maybe it's an Exodite?

Not sure he's a Dark Eldar. I thought he was at first because he doesn't fit any existing archetype, but there is a spirit stone on his belt. Dark Eldar do not use spirit stones to my knowledge. Maybe it's an Exodite?

Deldar still wear smashed soul stones for ornamentation. The back banners look very similar to an incubi's and the helmet is exactly like one from the warrior kit.

Tacitus_

Looks like Eldar opening the web way for an Inquisitor led Templar army with an Adeptus Mechanicus Magos in attendance?

Very desperate times if any of that is true!

The AdMech went to Comorragh in order to get help on fixing the Golden Throne. They struck a "dark bargain" there.

Tizoc

If I wanted to show someone a video that'll show to them what Warhammer 40K is and why it is awesome, what video would you recommend?

EYEL1NER

I received the Forbidden Stars game for Christmas and it looks beautiful. The tiny ships and Ork Gargants and Eldar minis look great. I also haven't seen much of the art from the 40K CCG, so this was all new art for me in the cards. I was unsure in the past about what faction I would play when I eventually got the game and figured it would probably be Orks, since I don't care for Eldar, CSM, and Ultramarines. I started reading the Ultramarines omnibus last night though, so my interest in Ultramarines may change very soon (of course I left the book sitting on someone's coffee table when I left their Christmas party though, so it may be a couple more days before I can resume reading it).

EDIT: Didn't get the Ultramarines book back today, so I started First and Only. If it really really hooks me, I'll plow through it and my other GG books, then Double Eagle, then Titanicus, and then I'll read my Sabbat Worlds artbook/guide.

DoW2 intro

BFG:Armada | DoW2: Retribution Exterminatus cutscenes

or for something more humorous: da place dey wouldn't dakka

No modern media has captured the abstract nature of 40k unfortunately. Aside from the incredible art in the books, a lot of it is interpreted as generic future gothic horror crap. I'm waiting for a company to embrace the fact that the interpretation should be a lot stranger, almost like a living painting (but not literally). It's hard to put into words

:EDIT: Imo this came close, but still not really dark enough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3NmuuVym8o

Yep, here's a translation from the leaked White Dwarf:
Thief or Savior?

Of all the protagonists who are fighting on Cadia, Trazyn the Infinite is without a doubt the strangest. It is curiosity that drives him to Cadia, but he plays an important role in the first volume of the saga, Gathering Storm. Of course, some people are none too happy to see him, such as Belisarius Cawl. In spite of this, the Archmagos understands that the arrival of Trazyn in these dark hours is no mere coincidence. The Necron knows (or claims to know) the secrets of the pylons of Cadia. He also has another role to play, especially when he opens his tesseract crypts and releases his Imperial prisoners to fight the armies of Abaddon. But in this case, how will he make up for his rare collection?

Also, the Inquisitor Greyfax, Archmagos Belisarius Cawl and Saint Celestine alliance is named 'The Triumvirate of the Imperium'.

Tizoc

Happy new WAAAAAAAAAGH

Ok so i ammabout halfway thru eisenhorn xenos and im enjoying it
Altho i did find it funny how the book's structute was 1 actiony chapter followed by a breather chapter and repeat
Granted there could be one or two chapters of either but it did not hinder my enjoyment of the book

Meteorain

Does anyone know if the 40k books are coming to Kindle/the ebook scene?

I really want to finish my Gaunt's Ghosts series, but I don't have any shelf space left!

Ephidel

The Gaunt's Ghosts series is already available on kindle. They're bloody expensive (~£7 each, and #15 is £15) but they are technically there.

Meteorain

Oh thanks for the info! I'll have to go check it out.

This does mean I'll have to start over again. Not complaining though, I really like the series. Re-reading/being reminded of some of the deaths won't be so great though.

Meteorain

It really is. I never expected to find probably my most hated character in a 40k book.

I've also come to slowly dislike the Emperor the more I read.

Honestly. Just why create the Primarchs with all that capacity, and then completely leave them in the dark about the most important stuff.

Tizoc

Just finished xenos
Overall enjoyed tho i found the earlier parts better
Abnnet writes some good action gotta say
I wqs gojng to start malleus but felt i should takr a short break first

manfestival

Not yet. I am nowhere near that book.

Last I read was when the Assassinorum tried some shit (Nemesis?)

Even if there are reasons. I doubt I would accept them.

I am not really reading any books but I have listened to all of the stuff on youtube(mostly vaults of terra) and it generally makes sense. It is still fairly stupid but overall it puts a reason and a sense of understanding behind it all

Top Bottom