• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARIO LAND: THE SHAKE DIMENSION

HUELEN10

TreIII said:
Who said anything about "respectable plot"? :lol

To me, having these guys on board may just imply that we get to see some HQ anime to help move the basic plot of a Wario game, which would have otherwise probably be done through in-game cutscenes.

So, I wouldn't expect that the fact that it's going to have I.G.-quality anime be any more of an indicator that this game is going to have any more in the way of story than past Wario games.

Honestly, as far as story concerned, the most I'm expecting is that this game may do would be to give vindication to the likes of Captain Syrup, by probably giving her a Voice Actor and more character development (or at least, as much development as one stands to get in the Mario-verse). But hey, I think she deserves it.

This may also finally be the means that welcomes Syrup to the world of mainstream Nintendo, where she, too, can look forward to appearing in the likes of Mario Tennis and future Mario Party games. :lol
Not before Mona she won't.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TreIII said:
Put yourself in the place of some one who's been waiting for Kirby GC/Wii since like 2005, though. All we know is that exists, and some sources state that we may see it in Japan before the year is up. But to have had nothing else in the way of new media, or anything to show for the game since it's mostly hush-hush appearance at E3 years ago? That's painful.
It really is. It has been 3 years, and we have gone from the game being canceled and bakc again (Then again, I think the only ones who said it was canceled was NoE, who love running there mouths but don't seem to know anything).

Also, there is a shot we will get Kirby Tilt and Tumble 2 to come out for Wiiware (Most likely without the GBA/DS-Wii connectivity, but thats ok). Oh, and while its unlikely, Kirby Air Ride 2 would be great, especially if it had wifi.

TreIII said:
Who said anything about "respectable plot"? :lol
Well, I ment like a Paper Mario-type plot. I'd love to see the Wario Land games get their characters developed (even though I forgot all the characters) in the same way the Mario characters were developed in the Mario RPG games. I just figured that the new anime cutscenes meant that there would be a bigger focus on story and characters.

Honestly, as far as story concerned, the most I'm expecting is that this game may do would be to give vindication to the likes of Captain Syrup, by probably giving her a Voice Actor and more character development (or at least, as much development as one stands to get in the Mario-verse). But hey, I think she deserves it.

This may also finally be the means that welcomes Syrup to the world of mainstream Nintendo, where she, too, can look forward to appearing in the likes of Mario Tennis and future Mario Party games. :lol
I don't even remember Syrup. Wasn't she the main villain in the first game?

Vinci

Danish
Production I.G.?

That has to be bullshit. I ... I can't fathom ...

Seriously Production I.G. would make me buy a bucketful of this damn game, a copy for everyone I've ever met ever.

Perdew

Vinci said:
Production I.G.?

That has to be bullshit. I ... I can't fathom ...

Seriously Production I.G. would make me buy a bucketful of this damn game, a copy for everyone I've ever met ever.

Production I.G. has done this kind of stuff before, namely for Maverick Hunter X.

Now... after seeing scans... has it been CONFIRMED cel shaded characters, or are there sprites? One shot looks like a sprite, the other I'm not so sure about.

Vinci

Danish
Perdew said:
Production I.G. has done this kind of stuff before, namely for Maverick Hunter X.

Now... after seeing scans... has it been CONFIRMED cel shaded characters, or are there sprites? One shot looks like a sprite, the other I'm not so sure about.

I know they have. My brain is just trying to wrap itself around the concept of Production I.G. and Nintendo working together in some capacity.

Perdew

Vinci said:
I know they have. My brain is just trying to wrap itself around the concept of Production I.G. and Nintendo working together in some capacity.

Ahhhh. Well you should be a very happy person, then :D

wsippel

Banned
Vinci said:
Production I.G. also did the cutscenes for Fire Emblem I believe. This is not the first time these two companies are working together.

TreIII

HUELEN10 said:
Not before Mona she won't.

The fact that Mona, or any other WarioWare characters have YET to get into a Mario spin-off, despite being around for a number of years, says enough, in my opinion.

It's not like WarioWare/Made in Wario is a relatively new franchise. It's been around since 2003. Yet, in spite of that, no characters from that series have popped up in something like Mario Party or Mario Sluggers (a franchise which would be ripe to have so many characters at once). They couldn't even be bothered to put Mona or Ashley in Brawl, when it seemed ripe to have at least one of them.

Therefore, I'm thinking that the reason may be because they may be more pressed to keep the WarioWare characters in their own lane, and more interested in utilizing characters from the actual extended "Mario-verse" in Mario spin-offs. If this particular Wario Land goes over well, I'm willing to bet that Syrup will end up joining Peach, Daisy and Rosalina before Mona.

KeeSomething said:

First two (if we don't count VB Wario Land) games, actually.

Perdew said:

sp0rsk states that this is indeed a full 2D game, with 2D sprites, no less. IG is even helping Good Feel out with the sprite drawing.

The return of Syrup really has me hoping that The Shake Dimension will be a return to form. I loved Super Mario Land 3. It was quite possibly one of the best games on the Gameboy.

Vinci

Danish
Andrex said:
Screw Donkey!

Admit it, Andrex ... You don't really feel that way, you've just been dying - for YEARS - to be able to find a reason, any reason, to use that line.

Don't be shy. Fess up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vinci said:
Admit it, Andrex ... You don't really feel that way, you've just been dying - for YEARS - to be able to find a reason, any reason, to use that line.

Don't be shy. Fess up.

It did kinda click when I thought of it. :p

NeonZ

It's not like WarioWare/Made in Wario is a relatively new franchise. It's been around since 2003. Yet, in spite of that, no characters from that series have popped up in something like Mario Party or Mario Sluggers (a franchise which would be ripe to have so many characters at once). They couldn't even be bothered to put Mona or Ashley in Brawl, when it seemed ripe to have at least one of them.

I do agree with your general idea (Warioware characters won't appear in Mario games), but I don't think Brawl is a good example.

Wario has his Warioware design as the main costume, he only has a Warioware based stage, and Kat&Ana are Assist Trophies. Wario himself wasn't in Melee, so the absence of other (playable) Wario characters isn't unexpected. Brawl is the only game outside of the Warioware series that has heavily acknowledged it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
WOW.

So can we expect amazingly smoothly animated sprites that animate like liquid butter?
Oh god, I want this game so much!

And anime cutscenes pleases my inner weeaboo.

Hopefully it'll show IGA that a great looking 2d sprite based game is possible on a console too :eek:.

TreIII said:
The fact that Mona, or any other WarioWare characters have YET to get into a Mario spin-off, despite being around for a number of years, says enough, in my opinion.

Kat & Ana were assist trophies in Brawl.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Easy_D said:
WOW.

So can we expect amazingly smoothly animated sprites that animate like liquid butter?
Oh god, I want this game so much!

And anime cutscenes pleases my inner weeaboo.

Hopefully it'll show IGA that a great looking 2d sprite based game is possible on a console too :eek:.

Odin Sphere? Paper Mario? :eek:

HUELEN10

CreatureX3 said:
Kat & Ana were assist trophies in Brawl.
and Biker Wario was in Mario Power Tennis, and the Wario Bomb "time' up" logo from wario ware has been in plenty of Mario games.

Mr. Wonderful said:
The return of Syrup really has me hoping that The Shake Dimension will be a return to form. I loved Super Mario Land 3. It was quite possibly one of the best games on the Gameboy.
After Link's Awakening, of course. ;)

I really wish I never sold my first two Wario Land games... They were my favorite Gameboy games when I was little.

KeeSomething said:
Well, I ment like a Paper Mario-type plot. I'd love to see the Wario Land games get their characters developed (even though I forgot all the characters) in the same way the Mario characters were developed in the Mario RPG games. I just figured that the new anime cutscenes meant that there would be a bigger focus on story and characters.

Captain Syrup was the main villain in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and Wario Land 2. And yeah, it would be great to see her back again, she was definitely a more intresting villain than the ones in Wario Lands 3 or 4... though I did think the evil head thing in Virtual Boy Wario Land was pretty cool, and kind of creepy with how he comes in and out of the screen, with how you're looking at nothing but the screen... it's hard to describe to someone who hasn't played a Virtual Boy, really, but it's awesome. It wouldn't be the same on any other console, though.

But anyway, it's great to see that Captain Syrup seems to be returning. The Wario/Syrup 'stealing treasure from eachother' dynamic worked well. :) (only messed up by Mario's involvement in Wario Land's ending... :D)

TreIII

NeonZ said:
I do agree with your general idea (Warioware characters won't appear in Mario games), but I don't think Brawl is a good example.

Wario has his Warioware design as the main costume, he only has a Warioware based stage, and Kat&Ana are Assist Trophies. Wario himself wasn't in Melee, so the absence of other (playable) Wario characters isn't unexpected. Brawl is the only game outside of the Warioware series that has heavily acknowledged it.

Still, my main thing was that Brawl, for all the "WarioWare love" that was given (as you listed above), for it to supersede everything else that Wario is about in that game, such that there were little to no references to Wario's past beyond his trademark shoulder-charge...they really didn't use all that much material otherwise.

Practically everyone on both sides of the pond was expecting at LEAST Mona or Ashley as playable characters. The theme songs' inclusions only added more fuel to that fire. And yet...that was it. Neither of the two were included, for whatever reasons only Cherry-don(Sakurai) may know. The prime example of "Nintendo All-Stars" game, and they didn't make it. How very.

Going by that, plus the status quo of the WW characters not appearing in any of the Mario spin-offs either, that's why I think things are as they are. It seems to be a case where, at least for now, WW characters will stay exclusive to their series, while the main representation of that series will probably come through Wario himself, if he decides to have his biker togs as an alternate/EX outfit.

A Black Falcon said:
But anyway, it's great to see that Captain Syrup seems to be returning. The Wario/Syrup 'stealing treasure from each other' dynamic worked well. :) (only messed up by Mario's involvement in Wario Land's ending... )

Heh, Mario only came around because he saw the great opportunity to take Peach's statue back to the Mushroom Kingdom. I liked how it portrayed Mario as a bastard for the first time since like Donkey Kong Jr., cuz you know Mario has to have a dark side as well...nobody who regularly beats up children, throws other sentient beings into pits of lava and just regularly kills things for sport and points can be entirely a good guy. :D

But any way, even though he lost the statue, Wario made it out alright...especially in the perfect ending... :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TreIII said:
Heh, Mario only came around because he saw the great opportunity to take Peach's statue back to the Mushroom Kingdom. I liked how it portrayed Mario as a bastard for the first time since like Donkey Kong Jr.

LOL yeah I was like, "what the...? Wow Mario's a douche."

TreIII said:
But any way, even though he lost the statue, Wario made it out alright...especially in the perfect ending... :lol

Didn't he just get his head on the moon?

Andrex said:
LOL yeah I was like, "what the...? Wow Mario's a douche."

I thought it was his own planet.

Either way, treasure collecting was amazing.

I think the problem with the later Wario Land games (while they're still good,) is that they try to do too much. Wario Land: Super Mario Bros. 3 is balanced perfectly in length and features.

TreIII

Andrex said:

His own planet. The last page has a youtube vid of the perfect ending in one of my posts from yesterday.

Oblivion said:
Why the hell do you need someone like Production I.G. to draw sprites?

When you're a small workforce like "Good Feel" (a team made up of Konami defectors from the KOBE branch), I suppose any help that can be given is appreciated. Nintendo probably was able to hook them up with IG to help them out with crafting the game, while Ninty still stood by for quality control.

I hope Ninty keeps Good Feel around...especially if this title does well.

Mr. Wonderful said:
I think the problem with the later Wario Land games (while they're still good,) is that they try to do too much. Wario Land: Super Mario Bros. 3 is balanced perfectly in length and features.

While Wario Land 1 is probably my fave of the bunch, I have to give it up to the other games. The other games, with their unique twists on 2D action-platforming made things interesting, to the point that Wario Land 4 was kind of like a combo of Metroid and Mario 64.

Even so, I'm ready for possibly a new direction on the series. The Wario Land series hasn't changed all that much since WL2, and I would really like to see what new things they may try for this, which is effectively the 5th game in the Wario Land series (or 6th, if you include VB Wario Land).

TreIII

Some at SomethingAwful went and translated the story blurb that you can see in the Famitsu article.

STORY
Within an Ancient Globe (an old, giant globe exhibited at a museum), there is another world called Yuretopia (translator: “yure” = tremor/shaking). Yuretopia’s peace is shattered by the marauding pirate Shay King (translator: whatever). Queen Melfull and her Melfull subjects are imprisoned. Not only that, Shay King claims the legendary treasure “Deldel Purse,” which spits out coins whenever it is shaken. Captain Maple Syrup, the female pirate, observes Yuretopia’s crisis from the outside world. Setting her eyes on the legendary treasure but with no desire of doing the dirty work herself, she steals the Ancient Globe and sends it to Wario. True to form, Wario prepares to raid the beleaguered kingdom when Queen Melfull escapes to the outside world in hopes of finding help. Beseeched by the Queen to become a hero to the kingdom, Wario sets off to Yuretopia where the promise of vast treasures beckons...

-http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2684724&pagenumber=124#post344674852

What I thought was perhaps the most interesting, is that they're making it sound like Syrup may NOT be necessarily the main villainess this time around. This could be interesting...and making her into Wario's "partner" may go a long way to helping her become a long-standing character in the Mario-verse mythos.

GamerSoul

TreIII said:
-http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2684724&pagenumber=124#post344674852

What I thought was perhaps the most interesting, is that they're making it sound like Syrup may NOT be necessarily the main villainess this time around. This could be interesting...and making her into Wario's "partner" may go a long way to helping her become a long-standing character in the Mario-verse mythos.

it sure sounds like it.:D And them not mentioning her pirate gang makes it all the more interesting. This game being a little more story driven will sure help her character development.

TreIII said:
Still, my main thing was that Brawl, for all the "WarioWare love" that was given (as you listed above), for it to supersede everything else that Wario is about in that game, such that there were little to no references to Wario's past beyond his trademark shoulder-charge...they really didn't use all that much material otherwise.

Practically everyone on both sides of the pond was expecting at LEAST Mona or Ashley as playable characters. The theme songs' inclusions only added more fuel to that fire. And yet...that was it. Neither of the two were included, for whatever reasons only Cherry-don(Sakurai) may know. The prime example of "Nintendo All-Stars" game, and they didn't make it. How very.

Going by that, plus the status quo of the WW characters not appearing in any of the Mario spin-offs either, that's why I think things are as they are. It seems to be a case where, at least for now, WW characters will stay exclusive to their series, while the main representation of that series will probably come through Wario himself, if he decides to have his biker togs as an alternate/EX outfit.

Ever since the full character list of SSBB was revealed I've been pretty critical of the fact that there were no new female characters added (Zero Suit Samus isn't a full new character; maybe a half character, perhaps?), but 11+ male ones.

There are other characters I'd rather have seen than Wario Ware ones, but yeah, seeing one or two more of them might have been nice...

Heh, Mario only came around because he saw the great opportunity to take Peach's statue back to the Mushroom Kingdom. I liked how it portrayed Mario as a bastard for the first time since like Donkey Kong Jr., cuz you know Mario has to have a dark side as well...nobody who regularly beats up children, throws other sentient beings into pits of lava and just regularly kills things for sport and points can be entirely a good guy. :D

Agreed, the perfect ending is awesome. I got it every time I played that game... well, not the first time I finished it, but I got it eventually, and every time I played through the game I wouldn't stop until I had the best ending. Best handheld platformer ever.

And yeah, I do like how it shows a different side of Mario... I mean, the statue was stolen originally of course, but letting someone else do all the work and then taking the reward? That's not very nice. :)

TreIII said:

Yes, definitely interesting... Well, she'll be in the ending in some capacity, at least.

In Wario Land 1 Wario (and Mario) stole her stolen treasure, then in Wario Land 2 she tried to steal Wario's treasure... but both times it ended pretty badly for the Brown Sugar Pirates. Trying something different is smart... we'll see. Hopefully it'll end up well.

RagnarokX

TreIII said:
Some at SomethingAwful went and translated the story blurb that you can see in the Famitsu article.

No, it sounds more like she will be the final boss. After Wario beats Shei King and gets the treasure, Captain Syrup will probably step in and fight him for it.

TreIII

A Black Falcon said:
Ever since the full character list of SSBB was revealed I've been pretty critical of the fact that there were no new female characters added (Zero Suit Samus isn't a full new character; maybe a half character, perhaps?), but 11+ male ones.

There are other characters I'd rather have seen than Wario Ware ones, but yeah, seeing one or two more of them might have been nice...

Does Ivysaur/Fushigisou count? :D But seriously...according to the JP promo material that was released back in January or there-abouts, that particular one was supposed to be female, if I remember correctly...

Still, you're overall correct. I was rather shocked myself that no new females were added to the roster. I was really hoping that the likes of Ashley, Kumatora (Mother 3) or even Syrup would have had a chance...

And yeah, I do like how it shows a different side of Mario... I mean, the statue was stolen originally of course, but letting someone else do all the work and then taking the reward? That's not very nice. :)

I guess, in Mario's defense, turn-about was fair play. After all, Wario was the main reason Mario had to go to Sarasaland, and beat up Tatanga and his hordes to save Daisy...then he comes home, expecting to kick back after a hard-fought adventure, only to find that Wario took over his pimpin' pad and island. I would have been at least SOME WHAT bitter, too. :lol

So in the end, Mario probably thought he was in the right to have his old antagonist do most of the hard work for him, considering all that he had put him through. But I would think that this particular instance, as well as a number of other things, shows that there is a definitive dark side to Mario and friends that enough people don't give credit where it's due.

I mean, sure...we see Wario with his whole "GREED IS GOOD~!" thing, but everyone of those "Star Children" (as dictated by Yoshi's Island DS) seems to be capable of evil in some regard. Some just seem to embrace their dark side more readily than others. :lol

Yes, definitely interesting... Well, she'll be in the ending in some capacity, at least.

In Wario Land 1 Wario (and Mario) stole her stolen treasure, then in Wario Land 2 she tried to steal Wario's treasure... but both times it ended pretty badly for the Brown Sugar Pirates. Trying something different is smart... we'll see. Hopefully it'll end up well.

Same here.

On another note...it certainly would be nice if, for a nice change of pace, you could actually PLAY as Syrup. Do the whole Viewtiful Joe thing where, after you complete the game as Wario, you can do it all over again as her (if she doesn't end up playable in the main quest).

Now, THAT would be some thing else. And then this game would quickly be in the running for my personal "GOTY08". :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TreIII said:
His own planet. The last page has a youtube vid of the perfect ending in one of my posts from yesterday.

I know, I watched it, which is why I was asking. It seemed a little strange IMO, I was expecting a castle or something. :lol

GamerSoul

RagnarokX said:
No, it sounds more like she will be the final boss. After Wario beats Shei King and gets the treasure, Captain Syrup will probably step in and fight him for it.

This is always a possibility when dealing with former enemies so I can see it happening. C. Syrup is Wario's equal in terms of greediness so I can see her ceasing the opportunity if it comes up. I think it depends on how she is used throughout the game.

TreIII said:
Does Ivysaur/Fushigisou count? :D But seriously...according to the JP promo material that was released back in January or there-abouts, that particular one was supposed to be female, if I remember correctly...

Still, you're overall correct. I was rather shocked myself that no new females were added to the roster. I was really hoping that the likes of Ashley, Kumatora (Mother 3) or even Syrup would have had a chance...

One thing I said then was that I could not think of ONE SINGLE fighting game sequel ever that added any significant number of characters without adding one new female one.

I asked if anyone could think of any, ever... (not new games, sequels) haven't heard anything. Leaving out wrestling games, that is, and even some of them add female characters here and there. It's utterly ridiculous that SSBB added NO new female characters... maybe it's just because I'm paying attention, but I think that's pretty horrible.

It's not like there's a lack of female characters they could have added. How about any of the major female characters from the more recent Fire Emblem games? Lyn most obviously definitely should have been playable, but Micaiah would be great too (too many FE swordfighters in major roles...). Krystal is obvious too, as well as Mona or Ashley. And then there's Advance Wars characters... it'd be great to see a couple of them in the game too. :)

As for Ivysaur... I don't know Pokemon. Is that one supposed to be female? Not that it really matters, with Pokemon... should they really count?

Point is, they have no excuse for doing what they did. I was definitely pretty surprised... though I don't know if I'd say "shocked". Nintendo, to say the least, hasn't exactly been at the forefront of giving female characters strong roles in their games... Samus is pretty much the only major exception. Zelda has strong roles in a few games -- OoT most obviously -- but weak ones in too many others... so yeah, I wasn't expecting much from SSBB. But I was expecting at least one new female character. They didn't even do that.

I guess, in Mario's defense, turn-about was fair play. After all, Wario was the main reason Mario had to go to Sarasaland, and beat up Tatanga and his hordes to save Daisy...then he comes home, expecting to kick back after a hard-fought adventure, only to find that Wario took over his pimpin' pad and island. I would have been at least SOME WHAT bitter, too. :lol

So in the end, Mario probably thought he was in the right to have his old antagonist do most of the hard work for him, considering all that he had put him through. But I would think that this particular instance, as well as a number of other things, shows that there is a definitive dark side to Mario and friends that enough people don't give credit where it's due.

I mean, sure...we see Wario with his whole "GREED IS GOOD~!" thing, but everyone of those "Star Children" (as dictated by Yoshi's Island DS) seems to be capable of evil in some regard. Some just seem to embrace their dark side more readily than others. :lol

Wait, Wario is why Mario went to Sarasaland? How so? You're right about the rest of that, though. I could certainly understand Mario's actions, considering what Wario had done. :)

Of course, it could also be reflecting how the R&D1 team was relieved to be off of Mario games and finally able to create something with an original character... I know I've heard before that they didn't really want to be doing Mario (Land 1 and 2), but had to anyway.

Same here.

On another note...it certainly would be nice if, for a nice change of pace, you could actually PLAY as Syrup. Do the whole Viewtiful Joe thing where, after you complete the game as Wario, you can do it all over again as her (if she doesn't end up playable in the main quest).

Now, THAT would be some thing else. And then this game would quickly be in the running for my personal "GOTY08". :D

Would you get disposable minions, as well as your usual normal attacks?

I came to like that cast of baddies from WL1 and 2... the little guy with the hat, the duck, etc... :)

But yeah, that would be great. I wouldn't expect it, but it'd be great. And this is a new team, from people who made SNES Goemon and some Castlevania games... so who knows, anything could happen.

RagnarokX said:

On the other hand, this was my first thought as well. It would seem like a pretty logical plot point, really.

TreIII

A Black Falcon said:
Wait, Wario is why Mario went to Sarasaland? How so? You're right about the rest of that, though. I could certainly understand Mario's actions, considering what Wario had done. :)

If I remember correctly, the SML2 manual stated that the whole reason there was trouble in Daisy's side of the hood, was because he basically gave Tatanga (his flunky), the go ahead to invade Sarasaland. If nothing else, Tatanga's attack would be enough to give Mario a diversion so that he could sneak into Mario's crib.

Following his failure, Tatanga's last assignment was to be one of the 6 bosses guarding the Golden Coins. Remember that guy you faced off at the end of the Space Zone? That was Tatanga, serving Wario one more time to try and make up for Sarasaland being a bust.

Would you get disposable minions, as well as your usual normal attacks?

I came to like that cast of baddies from WL1 and 2... the little guy with the hat, the duck, etc... :)

But yeah, that would be great. I wouldn't expect it, but it'd be great. And this is a new team, from people who made SNES Goemon and some Castlevania games... so who knows, anything could happen.

On the other hand, this was my first thought as well. It would seem like a pretty logical plot point, really.

Hey, I'd be all for Syrup being a boss battle, as well as a playable character. :D For her to have been out of the lime light even longer than Daisy, she deserves it.

TreIII said:

If they do a fourth game, they should add...

Captain Maple Syrup
Jill
Dixie Kong
Female FE Lord (either Micaiah if the arc stays or a new one)
Sami
Kumatora

Also, in WLS, Ball Bunny boss please.

TreIII said:
If I remember correctly, the SML2 manual stated that the whole reason there was trouble in Daisy's side of the hood, was because he basically gave Tatanga (his flunky), the go ahead to invade Sarasaland. If nothing else, Tatanga's attack would be enough to give Mario a diversion so that he could sneak into Mario's crib.

Following his failure, Tatanga's last assignment was to be one of the 6 bosses guarding the Golden Coins. Remember that guy you faced off at the end of the Space Zone? That was Tatanga, serving Wario one more time to try and make up for Sarasaland being a bust.

Hmm... I've got my SML2 manual right here, actually. Let's see what it says...

"Story: Danger! Danger! While I was away crusading against the mystery alien Tatanga in Sarasa Land, an evil creep took over my castle and put the people of Mario Land under his control with a magic spell. This intruder goes by the name of Wario. He has been jealous of my popularity ever since we were boys, and has tried to steal my castle many times. It seems that he has succeeded this time. Wario has scattered the 6 Golden Coins from my castle all over Mario Land. These Golden Coins are guarded by those under Wario's spell. Without these coins, we can't get into the castle to deal with Wario. We must collect the 6 coins, attack Wario in the castle, and save everybody!"

Doesn't mention that there... of course, it also doesn't mention that the Space Zone boss is Tatanga, which, yes, is pretty obviously the case. So it certainly could be. Either way, Wario took advantage of the chaos in Sarasaland to take over the castle.

Hey, I'd be all for Syrup being a boss battle, as well as a playable character. :D For her to have been out of the lime light even longer than Daisy, she deserves it.

Yeah... and hopefully the Brown Sugar Pirate enemy types will return too, at some point at least, if she's a boss character. :)

A Link to the Snitch said:
If they do a fourth game, they should add...

Captain Maple Syrup
Jill
Dixie Kong
Female FE Lord (either Micaiah if the arc stays or a new one)
Sami
Kumatora

Also, in WLS, Ball Bunny boss please.

Agreed for most of those, definitely (well, except for the last one; I haven't played the Earthbound games, so I wouldn't know which of those characters I'd like to see -- I'd list multiple FE characters instead...), but for FE, the real issue would be the timeframe of when this theoretical next SSB game would come out. Lyn's an obvious pick because of her popularity, but if they wanted something timely, they'd choose the main female lord of whatever the most recent (or next upcoming) FE game was at the time. Right now, it should have been Micaiah.

Oh yeah, and a female WarioWare character would be good too, in addition to that list.

Dascu

creamsugar said:
full page clear scan is out :D
Looks fantastic. :D

With the return of Captain Syrup, why not the return of Tatanga as well? It would be lovely to see him again.

Edit: Oh fuck, a pirate ship level! SS Teacup confirmed?!

MattG-PTB

TreIII said:

See, now I always thought that Mario just happened along to the statue at the same time Wario did. From Mario's point of view I think that he heard about the stolen statue, left in his plane to go to Kitchen Island, and arrived just as Wario was finishing with Syrup. Mario recovered the statue, waved to Wario, and departed. It was all just bad timing for Wario and not a case of Mario waiting on the sidelines.

TreIII

MattG-PTB said:
See, now I always thought that Mario just happened along to the statue at the same time Wario did. From Mario's point of view I think that he heard about the stolen statue, left in his plane to go to Kitchen Island, and arrived just as Wario was finishing with Syrup. Mario recovered the statue, waved to Wario, and departed. It was all just bad timing for Wario and not a case of Mario waiting on the sidelines.

Maybe a possibility, but still...maybe this is the memories of DK Jr, and Mario's various bastardly antics in the "Super Mario Kun" manga (WHY NINTENDO!? WHY WERE WE DEPRIVED OF THIS?!...AND STILL ARE!?), but I don't think Mario is so much of a goody-goody, such that a bastardly notion like this is beneath him. :lol

Any way...YEAH. New scans are HOT. And it confirms that I.G. is helping with the graphic design, and not just making anime cuts.

I WANT. BADLY. This will be mine as soon as Play-asia ships my copy around 7/24... :D

Top Bottom