• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warmachine: Tactics (Kickstarter, Inspired by Valkyria Chronicles, FFT, XCOM)

Wiktor

I had hoped it would be a little more Valkyria-inspired. Like with directly controlled movement rather than click-to-move. That said, it looks wonderful and I'm interested.
This sounds terrible. Why in the world would you want that in PC TBS?

Looks stupidly awesome, frankly. I'm a sucker for magitek/steampunk mecha. Let's hope it turns out great.

Sounds neat but I'm always wary of a first time developer (remember this is being made by White Moon Dream, not Privateer Press), especially when they just start namedropping big games they had no involvement in. Even more worrisome when the 3 games they name dropped couldn't be more different from one another.

Saying they are "inspired by" a bunch of games is now a dick move if they weren't a part of their dev teams, now? What nonsense is this?

This sounds terrible. Why in the world would you want that in PC TBS?

Because people loved in in VC? And people play PC games with gamepads now? It's not the 90's anyome, you know.

Those people are ..what? 2% of audience? You could just as well as for joystick-based mech-sim controls.

Did you miss the fact that Valkyria Chronicles has a large audience both within GAF and without? Or are you one of those who believe that "PC gamers" and "console gamers" are two separate, non-overlapping audiences with opposite tastes? Again, that simply seems like living in the 90's.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did you miss the fact that Valkyria Chronicles has a large audience both within GAF and without? Or are you one of those who believe that "PC gamers" and "console gamers" are two separate, non-overlapping audiences with opposite tastes? Again, that simply seems like living in the 90's.

Apparently you missed the fact that Valkyrie Chronicles bombed so hard that they not only switched platforms, but stopped translating them into English. Your definition of "large audience" is comical at best.

* I fucking *loved* Valkyria Chronicles btw.

Apparently you missed the fact that Valkyrie Chronicles bombed so hard that they not only switched platforms, but stopped translating them into English. Your definition of "large audience" is comical at best.

* I fucking *loved* Valkyria Chronicles btw.

Games that "bomb hard" don't get two sequels. They also don't get one of said sequels released in the west on the PSP of all systems. It wasn't the biggest seller ever, for sure, but one million worldwide for a console strategy game with no big names attached to it? That's pretty damn good.

That's beside the point, anyway. Valkyria Chronicles' lack of selling has nothing to do with using action components, and I find it weird to suggest that it would have done better without them. How many people do you know of that were turned off by its system? Now, how many do you know that loved it precisely because of them?

TaroYamada

Really excited about this title, now I await Dawn of War III's announcement! The two should compliment eachother rather well.

Wiktor

So you need people who fit all of those criterias

PC gamers who also own PlayStation 3
Strategy fans who prefer to play with pad on PC
PlayStation 3 owners who like Valkyria Chronicles (which didn't really set the charts on fire)

Each of those groups might be sizable ( I doubt they are, but it's possible), but people who are in all three at the same time? That's niche and it's just not rationall to expect small team to waste time on making separate inferior control scheme just for those people. Not to mention what a headache would that be in multiplayer.

Durante

I think your premise is flawed. Valkyria Chronicles' control scheme would work perfectly with keyboard/mouse, and it is in no way inferior.

TaroYamada

I think your premise is flawed. Valkyria Chronicles' control scheme would work perfectly with keyboard/mouse, and it is in no way inferior.

Yeah, it would. Furthermore, I would have preferred direct control, Valk's style/control is hard to step back from in SRPGs. Game still looks great though and I'm still interested.

Fou-Lu

Retribution is one of my two favorite Warmachine factions so I really hope we make it to that $1.5 mill, I can't see it being a problem.

Burt

Okay, so, this looks pretty awesome. I'll think about tossing in, but $20 minimum pledge to get the game can pretty much kiss my butt during a Steam sale.

Oh, and, I'm totally 100% in the click-to-move camp.

Arcteryx

Wow! How the fuck did I miss this?

Sounds like they are REALLY going all out with it. I played the table-top version quite a bit a year or so ago, but lost time to do it(been meaning to pick it up again). Really fun game; plus the models are fucking amazing to paint.

This looks downright awesome. Definitely dropping some cash on it!

VC esque graphics and gameplay = sold.

Edit: It looks like warhammer?

Similar type of game, but Warmachine focuses more on squad based combat and warcasters(basically commanders), whereas Warhammer is more "army" focused and more broad. Think of it like the differences between DoW and DoW II(army vs squad) games.

Someone had a rough table-top emulator of it awhile back(basically just some generic table-top game emulator that could be skinned for different games) that I used to play and I always wanted a more "gamey" version of it. This looks sooooofucking good.

d0de87903045309aac70a9880346cbd6_large.jpg

Maybe that?

Unless you were expecting the Honjou Raita part of VC to be what influenced them, then sure, I don't see it.

Isn't that the same Raita/Zettai Shoujo that brought us this?
God I wish he would draw up some KS doujins.

d0de87903045309aac70a9880346cbd6_large.jpg

Maybe that?

Unless you were expecting the Honjou Raita part of VC to be what influenced them, then sure, I don't see it.

Isn't that the same Raita/Zettai Shoujo that brought us this?
God I wish he would draw up some KS doujins.
Also, can anyone help me shrink this image? I'm using Chrome and it always defaults to full size.

Brakke

Banned
Bumping an old thread 'cuz I can't make a LTTP.

Got into Warmachine in the last couple of months so I thought I'd check this out, been playing it the last couple of days. The game's got a lot of heart, is basically cool, but boy does it wear its low production values on its sleeves. Rough voice acting, totally un-animated "cut scenes", sort of janky menus, pretty frequent but not game-breaking camera bugs. This game is like 19 layers of polish shy of being solid.

I can't really tell how deep it goes into Warmachine yet. There's a single-player campaign that starts with Cygnar, don't know if it carries on to other factions. The kind of skirmish mode lets you do Cygnar, Cryx, Protectorate, and Khador, each with pretty good model variety. The steam page has screenshots including some Trollblood dudes but I can't tell if that's an unlockable faction or just a couple models in the campaign or what.

I really wanna like this game. Might stick with it a bit since Warmachine got its hooks into me pretty deep. Not sure I can recommend it though.

hehe vindicated re Valkyria Chronicles PC

Top Bottom