• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Producers Stand by Zack Snyder, Also Weigh in on DC Comics slate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles Roven and Richard Suckle weigh in on the ups and downs of Warner Bros.' DC Comics slate

On Zack

Before “Batman v Superman” even hit theaters, there were rumors and reports that potential negative reaction to the film could result in director Zack Snyder being fired from “Justice League,” which picks up after the events of “BvS.” Meanwhile, more than 17,000 people have signed a change.org petition to coax Warner Bros. to fire Snyder from the next superhero extravaganza. That didn’t happen, and a Snyder-directed “Justice League” is in production with release slated for November 2017. “I’m just saying you need to pay attention [to criticism], but you also need to stay true to your vision,” says Roven, who is in the process of making his third movie with Snyder in the director’s chair. “Zack Snyder is a great director.”

While “Batman v Superman” has a dark tone, the trailer for “Justice League,” which also debuted at San Diego Comic-Con last month, plays up character interactions and humor. “I think one of the things Zack really wanted to do, because everybody knows that Zack certainly has an ability to shoot action, was to just say, ‘Hey, I can do this, too,’” Roven says. “It doesn’t have to be all action. These characters are going to be different once they begin to interact with each other.”

On tone change
“Every movie is unique unto itself,” says Suckle, meaning that each installment in the DC cinematic slate has its own director with a unique perspective, and is going to vary in tone and how the characters are portrayed. Roven, meanwhile, says that tonal changes from “Batman v Superman” to “Justice League” were going to happen anyway, because of the variety of characters (including Ezra Miller‘s Flash and Jason Momoa‘s Aquaman). “But, at the same time, while we’re in that process, we did take into consideration some of the things that we learned from some of the comments about ‘Batman v Superman,’” Roven adds.

BN-PJ407_rovsuc_J_20160812073647.jpg

You can read more about it.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...-success-backlash-cut-scenes-and-zack-snyder/
lock if old.

Tabby

I know they were already going to have Justice League be a lighter movie, despite what everyone's saying, I just hope they didn't go overboard and make it a super crack a joke every 2 minutes sort of movie.

Slayven

I find it strange how 2 movies in and people are wondering if they getting the right cut of the film. WB should be worried about that. But then again they did let Snyder release deleted scenes one day after the movie was in theaters

Welp I assumed Snyder would still be the director for justice league since it's coming out next year. If Justice league performs badly, who knows? Btw is Snyder plan to direct DC movies beyond justice league?

Tabby

Welp I assumed Snyder would still be the director for justice league since it's coming out next year. If Justice league performs badly, who knows? Btw is Snyder plan to direct DC movies beyond justice league?

Justice League 2 maybe, I think him and Terrio are still locked for that but I have a feeling he'll want to quit after JL and co-head the universe along with Johns.

Keeping him is bad but honestly it was to soon after Batman v Superman that JL started to drop him and have any hope in the schedule.
And now you really can't do anything mid production except watch him like a hawk.

I'd say if the heads at WB have a single issue with the first edit of the movie he is gone, if he already isn't after completion.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
This is a fascinating train wreck to watch. Justice League looks awful. But honestly, I wouldn't expect to hear anything different from them.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Zack Snyder wants to prove to the world that he can do characters well.

Unfortunately he's proven repeatedly that he cannot do characters well.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
After one piece of footage that wasn't even a trailer? really? C'mon now.
Hey man. Those are my impressions. And the best indicator of future performance is past performance. WB and Snyder have no goodwill with me left.

I'd love to pleasantly surprised though.

Should probably be noted Roven's been moved off as producer for Justice League and future DC projects. Don't know about the other fella.

Tabby

Hey man. Those are my impressions. And the best indicator of future performance is past performance. WB and Snyder have no goodwill with me left.

I'd love to pleasantly surprised though.

Fair enough, I still think Man of Steel is the best DC movie since The Dark Knight.

Should probably be noted Roven's been moved off as producer for Justice League and future DC projects. Don't know about the other fella.

I'm fairly ignorant. What role did Roven had?

- J - D -

Zack Snyder, Deb Snyder, and now Charles Roven keep harping on and on about the tone being the problem with their movies but they're mistaken. I mean, it's a problem, sure, but it's not the fatal one.

I really believe that they have no idea what's wrong with their universe.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
People making decisions don't want to admit their decisions are problems.

Squire

Banned
I don't get why Snyder is so hard to cut loose for them. Nobody is going to see movies because his name is on them. Great director? He can barely string a sentence together.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They have to double down on Snyder considering the next movie is suppose to come out in November next year. You drop him now, and not only you'll have a media shitstorm, but you're gonna have to get a good director who's free right now for production if you wanna hit the release date, not to mention that considering with how every single damn movie of the DCU has come out, any competent director would refuse to work on whatever script they are giving them, so you're damned if do or damned if you don't. Just that their bottom line is gonna be more damned if they do kick him out.

So yeah. They'll get another director to helm whatever they do, after JL comes out, but before that, you gotta support the man.

Zabka

Zack Snyder trying to be light in Justice League is going to be a fucking disaster. His attempts at humor aren't just often unfunny, they can also be shockingly tone deaf.

The joking around that Superman and Lois do in Man of Steel while standing in the pulverized ashes of thousands of people was fucking terrible. Then Superman breaks Zod's neck, screams out in anguish, jump cut to Superman spiking a drone and Major Ferris swooning over how hot he is. Man that movie is frustrating. Everything he does is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom