• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Producers Stand by Zack Snyder, Also Weigh in on DC Comics slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabby

I'm in the opposite camp. I like the idea of director-driven super hero flicks. It worked with Nolan and Batman. Plus characters like Amanda Waller (just as an example) would be neutered due to Disney constraints.

"director driven" then we have BvS and SS and if the reports are to be believed, prove otherwise.

Garlador

I know they're good and probably better than most of the shows on CW but I'm a DC fan, I'm honestly just not all that motivated to watch them.

So am I (as my avatar might imply), but good content is good content. Daredevil is arguably the best "Batman" I've seen in a good long while (his moral code even matches Batman's more than Batman has lately...)

"Probably better than most of the shows on CW" is... well, that's putting it lightly, and I LOVE The Flash and Supergirl. But it's really no contest.

Nobody can watch these shows and say that Disney has made Marvel "go soft". They're filled with some of the most terrifying characters in the medium... both villains and heroes alike.
tumblr_o2lf5vEggH1upvr5ao2_400.gif

With Edgar Wright being perfect for Ant-Man :'(
Peyton Reed still pulled it off. The guy really deserves more credit than he's given.

Tabby

So am I (as my avatar might imply), but good content is good content. Daredevil is arguably the best "Batman" I've seen in a good long while (his moral code even matches Batman's more than Batman has lately...)

"Probably better than most of the shows on CW" is... well, that's putting it lightly, and I LOVE The Flash and Supergirl. But it's really no contest.

Nobody can watch these shows and say that Disney has made Marvel "go soft". They're filled with some of the most terrifying characters in the medium... both villains and heroes alike.

I will catch up soon though. Dropping Arrow has made me want to pick up Agents of Shield.

Garlador

I will catch up soon though. Dropping Arrow has made me want to pick up Agents of Shield.

Agents of SHIELD is a tough one, because half of Season 1 is sort of "monster of the week" establishing material... and then when the Hydra stuff from Winter Soldier kicks in, the show really improves.

Tabby

Agents of SHIELD is a tough one, because half of Season 1 is sort of "monster of the week" establishing material... and then when the Hydra stuff from Winter Soldier kicks in, the show really improves.

Pretty much same as Gotham then. Most of season one is eh then it gets really good.

Will I need to know anything going in? Other than Winter Soldier/Shield stuff.

Garlador

Pretty much same as Gotham then. Most of season one is eh then it gets really good.

Will I need to know anything going in? Other than Winter Soldier/Shield stuff.

Nope. It's pretty self-contained. If you've seen the Marvel movies, there's some easter eggs here or there to established time and events ("oh, we have to go investigate that area from Thor 2...").

z3phon

I've never really understood the issue with the tone of these movies, I really don't think that's the problem. The DC movies so far just haven't been very good.

Yep do it WB

We would be better producers and directors.

what a stupid counter...WB going to go down with the ship all hands on deck.
You guys remind me of the fat guy sitting in a bar criticizing an Olympic athlete on how to do the sport at hand. Sure, WB needs to/can do better, but you guys don't know anything about how to get there.

You aren't experts, most haven't made even a YouTube video but post like if you were James Cameron giving advice on a subject matter that you know nothing about.

Nah B.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am thrilled be is staying. Haters be damned, BvS:UE is a top 5 superhero movie.

With any luck JL won't need a director's cut to work on its own merits.

At this point, I can almost picture that time Snyder helped a studio top exec get rid of a body.

On the flipside, these review threads are entertaining.

You guys remind me of the fat guy sitting in a bar criticizing an Olympic athlete on how to do the sport at hand. Sure, WB needs to/can do better, but you guys don't know anything about how to get there.

You aren't experts, most haven't made even a YouTube video but post like if you were James Cameron giving advice on a subject matter that you know nothing about.

Nah B.
It's funny how the post you answered completely went over your head, as it was making fun of the usual "you wouldn't be able to make a movie so shut up" argument.

The only qualification needed to say this guy's movies are mediocre at best is to sit and watch one.

Nah B.

So what you're saying is leave it to the experts and shut up? what a world to live in. Glad we don't live in that dictatorship, matter of fact you remind me of those people that want to shut people up. When they're getting to the truth of the matter and are simply stating facts. More so you don't know what any of us do, so it wouldn't be in you're peer view either.

So Nah B, you don't need to be a "expert" to smell shit and bad business practices . Especially the type that keeps being shoved in one's face; its all pretty transparent and there is no secret sauce.

Ninjimbo

That doesn't mean much if the critics and the general public doesn't agree
I know, but I'm done caring about the financials. I just care about watching good movies now and Snyder makes them. My personal wish is for WB to leave JL untouched so I can get Snyder and Terrio's full vision. After WB gives me that, they can go ahead and give critics and casuals what they want. I'll be good.

I know, but I'm done caring about the financials. I just care about watching good movies now and Snyder makes them. My personal wish is for WB to leave JL untouched so I can get Snyder and Terrio's full vision. After WB gives me that, they can go ahead and give critics and casuals what they want. I'll be good.

I'm with you, but I can't help but feel that WB would not let Snyder make the movie without keeping a very close eye on him after BvS no matter what they say to the public. I just hope that any interference is minimal. Even though I enjoyed SS, if the rumours are true then they listened to the wrong group of people. The people that they should have listened to were the ones that said they should have released the Ultimate Cut in the theatres in the first place aka don't fuck with someones movie. Hopefully they learnt from that. And yea it sucks to be in the minority.

Sorry but the financials matter. An rather or not Snyder makes good movies currently is besides the point, but on average that outlook would not be in you're favor.

Good.

Preach.

Also how good does horror enchantress look man pff

I never understood this "Disney constraints" criticism.

A few certain deaths in Civil War really got under my skin too.

The MCU has rapists, crime lords, genocide, and plenty of horrible, ugly, no-good-rotten-scoundrels and many traumatic and often horrific deaths. I don't think Marvel really is in the habit of "constraining" their more hard-edge characters. If they're too intense for mainstream Avengers, they're more than happy to give them a spotlight on Netflix.

And the MCU films thrive on the director-touch Marvel selects. Avengers is so perfectly Whedon-esque, while Thor has many hallmarks of Kenneth Branaugh, Guardians of the Galaxy is pure James Gunn, and Joe Johnston was the perfect choice for Captain America: First Avenger, and Iron Man 3 is arguably the most Shane Black film Shane Black has ever made. Their fingerprints are all over these films.

I think I just barfed reading this post. Good lord. Most shane black film.....hahahahhahaaha

Pure James Gunn....in what way? Did you see the stuff he was making before guardians? This shit is hilarious.

Blablurn

Hate me GAF but so far I didn't mind Snyder. I was entertained by BvS. And 300 is one of the best action movies of all time.

Edit:

OF ALL TIME

Nah B.
It's more like watching a bunch of little leagers flailing around not knowing what they're doing half the time.

I know enough to know that Zack Snyder is not the man to spearhead your cinematic universe. And as sad as it may be, that means I (And about half the people on the damn internet) know more than the people making these movies.

The Olympics are also a pretty bad example because athletes aren't doing what they do in order to make entertainment for people to decide if they like or not.

True, but the financials and good movies sort of go hand in hand.

Right

Studios care mightily about the bottom line especially with tent pole films. Now WB is in a situation where they're in a deep hole and know they can't get out of it any time soon. They put Zack front and center to lead the way, hyped BVS to hell and back now they have to deal with the reality at some point. Fact is they planned a lot out; solo movies, big joint films, spin offs and did the budgets more or less. It would be bad for business and perception if they just drop kicked all of it so soon. But at the end of the day going forward if things continue to be bleak and they don't have a sure fire hit billion+ with the big boys (Marvel). Bags will be packed, box's will be put in cars and the nuke will be dropped or you'll start seeing the horrible scars from more studio influence .

Although maybe by some miracle JL will be that film or WW will get them out of the hole but that's a long shot. .

I think I just barfed reading this post. Good lord. Most shane black film.....hahahahhahaaha

Pure James Gunn....in what way? Did you see the stuff he was making before guardians? This shit is hilarious.

Sorry but i actually agree with him more or less. Iron man 3 is literally a Shane Back movie with a lower rating. An GOTG is similar in tone to Super and funny enough Scooby Doo the movie :)p). Thank god GOTG is better then those.

Otnopolit

Just today at Boston Comic Con, some teenager (with phone in hand, recording) asked the DC creators' panel what their opinion of Rotten Tomatoes is because they "dissed the movie and attacked DC"...

I could not be anymore beside myself with the ridiculousness.

For the record, they were writers and illustrators and thought that the reviews don't matter, it's if the fans enjoy the movies. I think they may have selective hearing...

Sorry but i actually agree with him more or less. Iron man 3 is literally a Shane Back movie with a lower rating. An GOTG is similar in tone to Super and funny enough Scooby Doo the movie :)p). Thank god GOTG is better then those.

I forgot about Scooby Doo. But nah at the Super comparison, not even remotely. There's a cynical/dark sense of humor in his films that completely disappeared (understandably I admit) when he made guardians.

Iron Man 3 starts off as a shane black movie for sure with the narration and snappy dialogue and that whole subplot where he's chilling in the small town. But by the end of it you're just getting another marvel film you've seen multiple times over. Hell nah at calling it the "most Shane Black" movie whatever that means.

I do agree that Avengers and Cap 1 felt very tied to the directors though. But so did BvS, for better or worse.

Garlador

Yes? I've seen every James Gunn film, from Slither to Super to even Scooby-Doo and the Lollipop Chainsaw game (don't see Movie 43). I think GOTG fits comfortably in his resume.

Same for Shane Black. It's PG-13, but I see loads of Lethal Weapon, The Last Boyscout, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang influence throughout Iron Man 3, from the Christmas setting to the partner dynamics to the dialogue.

So what you're saying is leave it to the experts and shut up? what a world to live in. Glad we don't live in that dictatorship, matter of fact you remind me of those people that want to shut people up. When they're getting to the truth of the matter and are simply stating facts. More so you don't know what any of us do, so it wouldn't be in you're peer view either.

So Nah B, you don't need to be a "expert" to smell shit and bad business practices . Especially the type that keeps being shoved in one's face; its all pretty transparent and there is no secret sauce.
Nah B. What I'm saying is right there in my post. No need to make inferences or translate what's clearly stated.

It's more like watching a bunch of little leagers flailing around not knowing what they're doing half the time.

I know enough to know that Zack Snyder is not the man to spearhead your cinematic universe. And as sad as it may be, that means I (And about half the people on the damn internet) know more than the people making these movies.

The Olympics are also a pretty bad example because athletes aren't doing what they do in order to make entertainment for people to decide if they like or not.
I say right there that they need to/can do better. Hindsight, etc, etc. They have obvious areas to improve, like making Chinese accepted movies, that cater to that market strengths and are actually released there, not butchering films with the editing and committing to a mainstream vision that gives the audiences what they want and expect of these characters.

So sports aren't entertainment? That's exactly what they are. The reason people watch it's cause at their core they are entertainment. Athletes are paid as such, get endorsed as such.

So yes, I see you all like that fat guy at the bar screaming at the Olympic Athletes on how to do it right as if he was the authority on their discipline and not a low information observer. I'm too, but at least I seem to be aware of it while you have deluded yourselves in your ignorance.

Serpico99

Can we just have Nolan direct it and Snyder directs the action scenes and extras (specifically the police). Written by Whedon

Kain

Soooo they trust Snyder but at the same time they won't stop interfering with the script, and tone and stuff. Sounds like the problem is not in the director's chair, fellas. Well, it is, Snyder has a really hard time making cohesive movies, but still.

They really have no idea what they are doing but they just keep pushing forward and nothing is going to change. Exactly this

Monocle

I'm glad they are sticking with what they want to do. I really enjoyed all the movies in this universe so far.
OK, but are they good movies the way Marvel's best movies (Guardians, Winter Soldier, etc.) are good movies? The way The Dark Knight is a good movie? I'd have to say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom