• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Producers Stand by Zack Snyder, Also Weigh in on DC Comics slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I guess the reason they keep obsessing about tone and editing is because those are the only tangible things they can still control while riding this multiple picture behemoth.

that's a good point. Though I'd say that only pertains more to the post-BvS films already shooting (which, unfortunately for WB, spans from SS to JL). I think that given Flash and Aquaman were still being written in the wake of the BvS, there's a better chance to fundamentally rework those movies than there is of salvaging something in post.

aeolist

Banned
good thing american businesses are based solely on meritocracy, so we know for sure they're making the right call here

Speaking of Snyder, he posted Aquaman with a guitar on his twitter. :p

CprQgeKWgAAyD0_.jpg:large

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like the guy more than most, and it would be uncouth to just throw him straight under the bus..

but DC wat r u doin

MisterHero

A few months back I suggested that Snyder would direct the shit out of MARVELS and I stand by that. With the arguable exception of color saturation, Watchmen, MoS and BvS are full of shots that could be lifted from an Alex Ross composition. Heck I'm pretty sure the DC movies do homage his work. I'd post pics but I'm on mobile. Well, I'll concede he probably needs Larry Fong.

Someone might say "So, anyone better than Snyder can copy a comic book panel and edit it better." I don't know any director who HAS, though.

A few months back I suggested that Snyder would direct the shit out of MARVELS and I stand by that. With the arguable exception of color saturation, Watchmen, MoS and BvS are full of shots that could be lifted from an Alex Ross composition. Heck I'm pretty sure the DC movies do homage his work. I'd post pics but I'm on mobile. Well, I'll concede he probably needs Larry Fong.

Someone might say "So, anyone better than Snyder can copy a comic book panel and edit it better." I don't know any director who HAS, though.

opening of BvS gets across the MARVELS idea so well. regardless of how the movie turned out that's one of my favorite scenes of the genre easily.

and yeah the shot of superman above the hurricane victims is straight up alex ross composition brought to life.

MisterHero

opening of BvS gets across the MARVELS idea so well. regardless of how the movie turned out that's one of my favorite scenes of the genre easily.

and yeah the shot of superman above the hurricane victims is straight up alex ross composition brought to life.
BvS beginning is also the beginning of Kingdom Come. Replace Norman McKay protecting a little girl with Bruce Wayne and Clark with the rampaging metahumans.

I prefer those in a way since they actually have colour
i like the texture of this more though. it looks like sea-weed lol. appropriate considering the character. but yeah, show them biceps.
I actually don't like the Thor sleeves at all really. The texture is good but the Snyder's trademark muted colours make it seem very bland. Should make it a slightly brighter green. I agree, he should definitely show biceps (same goes for Thor). He'll be more physically imposing which is what I want to see.

MisterHero

Can we hide this picture from Snyder? I'm pretty sure all he'd walk away with is "Zombie Aquaman" and "chain his spear to his dick so he can stab people with his dick"
But Geoff Johns created the puking red lanterns and a baby eating yellow lantern. He's bringing back "hope" to DC now

Slayven

I prefer those in a way since they actually have colour

I actually don't like the Thor sleeves at all really. The texture is good but the Snyder's trademark muted colours make it seem very bland. Should make it a slightly brighter green. I agree, he should definitely show biceps (same goes for Thor). He'll be more physically imposing which is what I want to see.
the blue one always been my favorite

Afrodium

Banned

I think the main problem with Snyder is that he considers himself a director of comic book movies rather that superhero movies. He's too focused on adapting the medium of the source material rather than the stories told within that medium. It would be stupid if a movie studio had one director they gave all of their novel adaptations to, right? That's what WB is doing with Snyder.

Guardian

Banned
I am thrilled be is staying. Haters be damned, BvS:UE is a top 5 superhero movie.
Top 5 worst superhero movies of all time? Ayyy!

Very true. It's not that his record is terrible, it's just very middling. I suppose you could say he's WB's safest choice.
No, not really. Michael Bay is safe. His Transformers movies are average at best but they still make banks. Snyder's movies are mostly terrible and failed to make good money.

The trailer makes me less and less excited for the new movie. The problem was not jokes or lighter tone from BvS. This looks like it's heading towards Marvel's generic road which makes me care less for both universes. :/

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fantastic 4 (2015)
Batman & Robin
Green Lantern
Catwoman
Steel
BvS
Superman III
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider 2
Electra

It's up there for me.

So I'm guessing you haven't seen Howard The Duck, Superman IV, 70s Captain America, 70s Doctor Strange, Supergirl, 90s Captain Ameruca, Spawn, Jonah Hex...

but seriously before the new DC universe took place Snyder had 3 complete failures in a row.

Watchmen, Owl movie, and Sucker Punch.

Who gets rewarded with huge franchises for that?

atr0cious

Yea, they're untouched in lighting and composition in the superhero genre. From another forum where they converted them to black and white:

Ahasverus

but seriously before the new DC universe took place Snyder had 3 complete failures in a row.

Watchmen, Owl movie, and Sucker Punch.

Who gets rewarded with huge franchises for that?
He didn't "get rewarded", he put money of his own (and wife's) pocked to make them happen.

yoooo dat black and white shot of bruce wayne at the mausoleum. spitting image of gregory peck there. removing the color does wonders for little comparisons like that. so good.

DeathyBoy

Banned
yoooo dat black and white shot of bruce wayne at the mausoleum. spitting image of gregory peck there. removing the color does wonders for little comparisons like that. so good.

There's a shot in BvS of Batman watching Supes and WW that is really, really stunning. I wish all superhero films would strive for breathtaking shots.

Anth0ny

fucking amazed that they're sticking with snyder still

man of steel and batman v superman should have been billion dollar movies, the latter with ease. dude is fucking it up for everyone.

and I liked bvs >_<

IconGrist

7 movies.

From 2009 on he has not had a movie that has looked at as successful. Either disappointments or bombs.

Seems like a pretty long chain to me.

Man of Steel was in 2013 and that made a lot of money. People forget it made back most of its budget before it even released so that 668 million was nearly all profit. It also sits on the favorable side of RT with over half the critics recommending it. Something like 17th highest selling blu-ray of all time as well. BvS may not have made what the studio wanted but it still brought in over $800 million which is nothing to sneeze at.

Man of Steel was in 2013 and that made a lot of money. People forget it made back most of its budget before it even released so that 668 million was nearly all profit. It also sits on the favorable side of RT with over half the critics recommending it. Something like 17th highest selling blu-ray of all time as well. BvS may not have made what the studio wanted but it still brought in over $800 million which is nothing to sneeze at.

made back its budget before released? are we talking merchandise? which has absolutely nothing to do with the movie and its dissapointing box office reciepts.

Ushay

fucking amazed that they're sticking with snyder still

man of steel and batman v superman should have been billion dollar movies, the latter with ease. dude is fucking it up for everyone.

and I liked bvs >_<

I agree, Snyder needs to get dropped fast after Justice League. Everything else looks pretty good in DC's slate (WW, Aqua etc). They have a huge roster to work with.

Anung

Un Rama
BvS may not have made what the studio wanted but it still brought in over $800 million which is nothing to sneeze at.

When a film starring Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman struggled to break even (the ballpark figure for that is 800-900 mil if I recall) I'd say that is something to sneeze at.

IconGrist

made back its budget before released? are we talking merchandise? which has absolutely nothing to do with the movie and its dissapointing box office reciepts.

Marketing deals. I don't think merchandise for MoS was very high but I don't know for sure. But since when is almost $700 million considered disappointing? Out of 4 movies Snyder has done since 2009 two of them did over half a billion. Why that's being spun as a bad thing confuses the hell out of me.

Marketing deals. I don't think merchandise for MoS was very high but I don't know for sure. But since when is almost $700 million considered disappointing? Out of 4 movies Snyder has done since 2009 two of them did over half a billion. Why that's being spun as a bad thing confuses the hell out of me.

Because those are supposed to be insanely huge franchises that fell below expectations?

The budget of both are over 200m...mixed with marketing budget that normally falls in line with the movies budget which would put both films over 400m in cost...yeah, those arent good numbers.

As much as I've disliked the DCEU so far I think that this is the only call WB can make. They're committed at this point to this vision and standing by Snyder will buy them a lot of goodwill in the creative community.

Snyder really isn't the problem, he's making the kind of films and creative decisions that anyone who's followed his career would have predicted. The issue is actually with the executives that made the decision to hire him in the first place so unless they're planning of firing themselves throwing Snyder under the bus doesn't solve anything. They're clearly not competent enough to find a better visionary director to salvage this mess.

Top 5 worst superhero movies of all time? Ayyy!

No, not really. Michael Bay is safe. His Transformers movies are average at best but they still make banks. Snyder's movies are mostly terrible and failed to make good money.

That just made me wonder what a Michael Bay DCU would look like...

Shredderi

They're not completely stupid enough to think it's wise to "stand by" Snyder at this point. There are contracts and stipulations in place which makes it too hard to get rid of him at this point I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom