• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Producers Stand by Zack Snyder, Also Weigh in on DC Comics slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmax

Yup. They don't got a fucking clue.

quote-the-true-definition-of-madness-is-repeating-the-same-action-over-and-over-hoping-for-albert-einstein-81-23-99.jpg

Zack Snyder, Deb Snyder, and now Charles Roven keep harping on and on about the tone being the problem with their movies but they're mistaken. I mean, it's a problem, sure, but it's not the fatal one.

I really believe that they have no idea what's wrong with their universe.

Ever since Jeff Robinov and Jon Peters, I've always had the belief that Warner Bros. just has shitty people doing the hiring.

takriel

OK, but are they good movies the way Marvel's best movies (Guardians, Winter Soldier, etc.) are good movies? The way The Dark Knight is a good movie? I'd have to say no.

Marvel's best movies are okay movies with occasional good moments imo. That said, the DCU movies thus far are average at best with occasional dumb moments.

I just don't like superhero action movies as much as I used to. I've grown tired of the whole format. If you want to impress me with a superhero movie nowadays, it has got to be by other means than just a grander scale or more action. Sadly, that won't happen as long as these movies target the lowest common denominator, as they frankly should in order to maximize gains.

OK, but are they good movies the way Marvel's best movies (Guardians, Winter Soldier, etc.) are good movies? The way The Dark Knight is a good movie? I'd have to say no.

I don't enjoy most of Marvel's output except for Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, and maybe some early Spider-Man's. I hope they avoid the route of trying to copy Marvel's success and just keep doing what they have planned. Like I said, I'm enjoying this universe and how things are playing out.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I'm glad and I hope they mean it.
BvS was bad, only because it took itself too seriously and Snyder steered away from his stylistic action. Some minor course correction is needed. Just make the next film a lot more like your typical Snyder movie, and I am good. Chris Terrio isn't nearly the writer David Hayter is, so it was always going to be impossible to pull a Watchmen (which Snyder attempted to do).

Suicide squad was enjoyable, and I hope they come back to the world and those characters.

jelly

It's worrying that they keep bringing up tone changes, that's a side issue and doesn't change a crap story, script and lack of good characters and development. They really don't get it. BvS less dark is still complete shit.

Serpico99

Sure, Nolan's the studio slave and he does as he's told, even though he's the talent and holds all the leverage.

More wishful thinking on my part. Haha. Get Sorkin to write so that we can have Batman and WW walking through a long winding hallway saying witting dialogue.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am glad to hear they are sticking to him, because I enjoy the meltdown and defensive posts in the RT threads.

Serpico99

I am glad to hear they are sticking to him, because I enjoy the meltdown and defensive posts in the RT threads.

Snyder threads are always entertaining. People always love the trailers and then realize he can only direct moments in films. I just wish he had a brother who could do dialogue and just general drama.

DeathyBoy

Banned

He's a producer, I'm sure for him a great director is a guy who delivers the film on time, on budget, doesn't have a breakdown because someone asked him to edit the film, gets in with the actors, doesn't complain about how tiring it is making big films.

Quality? Snyder isn't great. But I don't know any other director who'd be able to take the BvS backlash and not only avoid a nervous breakdown, but openly admit that a course correction was required. While being what, two weeks from production on a friggin' Justice League film?

If he was a better director of the actual quality of a film and kept his work ethic/professionalism? Dude would be GOAT. And all without once crying that the studio treated him unfairly.

Truant

Snyder can do characters. The characters were the best part of Dawn of the Dead.

With that said, he needs a helluva script and some good actors.

massoluk

Banned
You guys remind me of the fat guy sitting in a bar criticizing an Olympic athlete on how to do the sport at hand. Sure, WB needs to/can do better, but you guys don't know anything about how to get there.

You aren't experts, most haven't made even a YouTube video but post like if you were James Cameron giving advice on a subject matter that you know nothing about.

Nah B.
Here's the thing. I've never flown a helicopter, but if I saw one in a tree, I can still be like "Dude fucked up."

I must be a glutton for punishment. After completely hating those last two atrocities, a sensible man would swear off DC movies completely. But I just know when the time comes, I'll see the next Snyder-directed Batman or Superman movie opening night along with everybody else, thinking "maybe Zack learned his lesson this time!" And I'll be wrong again. And I'll stand in line for the one after that, saying the same thing.

-Plasma Reus-

You all should be concerned Terrio is still attached.
90% of the faults of BvS are directly attributable to his writing.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I must be a glutton for punishment. After completely hating those last two atrocities, a sensible man would swear off DC movies completely. But I just know when the time comes, I'll see the next Snyder-directed Batman or Superman movie opening night along with everybody else, thinking "maybe Zack learned his lesson this time!" And I'll be wrong again. And I'll stand in line for the one after that, saying the same thing.

I'm the same with PA films.

That franchise is 0-7 and I still watch every new film. And probably hasn't got to seven but it feels like it has.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
You all should be concerned Terrio is still attached.
90% of the faults of BvS are directly attributable to his writing.

Tbf he did came in later and had to rewrite some of the dialogue iirc. Having to work of Goyer's version and couldn't change too much.

Then again, you won't be seeing his full vision in JL either. They're rewriting things constantly on that one.

Liamario

Banned
Zack Snyder is a great director, we just need to keep him away from the script/story. Watchmen and 300 have shown us what he can do with an established story. It's when he's given too much creative control that things starts to fall apart.

Serpico99

I just want Watchmen Directors Cut quality from Snyder. At least give me some awesome openings like DotD and Watchmen. I want some Bob Dylan with my Batman. Fuck it go completely off the rails.

_Ryo_

Man, is Synder like Blackmailing WB or something?

/s

But seriously it's weird. If your vision isn't good to the people and fans and critics are gonna watch it, then um, yeah that means you should props adjust that vision.

Slayven

I like Snyder, but he should be working on a Deathstroke movie or something, not Superman.

An old man perving on a young girl?

Domestic violence?

A BDSM relationship masquerading as a friendship?

He would love that.

Damn to early to be thinking how fucked up Deathstroke is

DeathyBoy

Banned
An old man perving on a young girl?

Domestic violence?

A BDSM relationship masquerading as a friendship?

He would love that.

Damn to early to be thinking how fucked up Deathstroke is

Deathstroke's supporting cast wear skintight clothes so he can't do trademark upskirt shots tho

Apt101

Well they're veterans accustomed to earning or losing big money on film ventures, so maybe they do know best - maybe most everyone will be surprised and JL will be a huge hit. But even as an outsider I can't imagine this is a wise decision when so much money is on the line (including interest in merchandising, bluray/DVD/streaming sells, etc). But what do I know, I'm just some dude.

On trusting Snyder to change gears effectively, I can agree with them in some ways. One of my favorite films is Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake, and that was largely character driven and, I think, defined by its colorful cast of characters and their often humorous interactions and growth together. When I think about that film I remember the quirks and personalities of each character, memorable moments when they clashed or bonded, and how they all ended up by the conclusion - together. There was even some of that in 300, though on a much smaller scale - and I enjoyed 300 too.

It's just after some reflection on MoS and BvS, and a rewatching of both, I can't (edited from "can", typo) see Snyder turning the ship around within the particular world he's working in. But I am hoping for the best. The man directed one of my favorite movies, I love DC, and who wouldn't want to see JL shine?

I say right there that they need to/can do better. Hindsight, etc, etc. They have obvious areas to improve, like making Chinese accepted movies, that cater to that market strengths and are actually released there, not butchering films with the editing and committing to a mainstream vision that gives the audiences what they want and expect of these characters.

So sports aren't entertainment? That's exactly what they are. The reason people watch it's cause at their core they are entertainment. Athletes are paid as such, get endorsed as such.

So yes, I see you all like that fat guy at the bar screaming at the Olympic Athletes on how to do it right as if he was the authority on their discipline and not a low information observer. I'm too, but at least I seem to be aware of it while you have deluded yourselves in your ignorance.
Sports aren't really subjective entertainment. You can see how well an athlete is doing based on stats. Even if they're performing in front of us, the quality of their abilities isn't left up to the judgment of the viewer. You can't logically call Michael Phelps a bad swimmer because he has stats and more trophies/medals than anyone as evidence of his talent. He doesn't get Gold medals based on viewer opinion. He doesn't get sponsorship deals based off the fact that people like his swimming.

Unlike a movie, where it being good or bad entirely hinges on the audiences opinion of it. And by and large, audience opinion of these DC movies has been tepid at best.

If you said Babe Ruth was a bad baseball player, I could bring up all kinds of stats to show you why that wasn't the case. If you said say, Martin Scorsese is a bad director, I can't prove you wrong in any way, because everything he's made is left up to subjectiveness. I could point out why I think he's talented, but you could just as easily say that you dont like the aspects of his work that I mentioned and I couldn't argue with it, because again, art is subjective. The whole "Low information observer" comment makes no sense in the first place. Everyone here has the information they need to know that WB is fucking up. There are good comic book movies that make a bunch of money, and DC/WB aren't doing anything like what those people did to get their success. And to top it off, they double down on backing a guy that clearly has no idea about what the source material was going for.

So that's why Olympics are a bad example for what you're trying to say. Quality in sports is left up to stats, while quality in movies is always subjective. So people throwing out their opinions about why people making them aren't doing their job well makes far more sense to do. I would have no idea where to begin to understand how to be the best at anything in the Olympics, but I've read enough good DC stories to know that these movies aren't good DC stories.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Not counting Suicide Squad (which I did not care for) I'd have to say way better. Dunno why Gotg is on that list, that was garbage.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not counting Suicide Squad (which I did not care for) I'd have to say way better. Dunno why Gotg is on that list, that was garbage.

Their best film is TWS and that peaks halfway through. Everything after that excellent highway fight is fine, decent, but man did they let the side down by throwing in all that shit and not having a final street fight with Cap and WS.

Running theme with CA films actually - great first half and then they sort of continue.

-Plasma Reus-

Snyder is also responsible for casting Eisenberg a Lex. Because he wanted to do stunt casting. lol

Eisenberg's lex is worst.

Garlador

WB: "Constant failure is its own reward."

As a huge DC fan, I just need to console myself with the Batman animated series and Justice League. They can't take those away from us.

Staf

WB: "Constant failure is its own reward."

As a huge DC fan, I just need to console myself with the Batman animated series and Justice League. They can't take those away from us.

Always been a huge DC fan but i couldn't care less about the cinematic universe they are creating. I'm gonna stick to Flash and Supergirl for my weekly dose of DC. Thank fuck for Grant Austin.

I guess the reason they keep obsessing about tone and editing is because those are the only tangible things they can still control while riding this multiple picture behemoth.

The big elephant in the room is writing - they've cranked up this huge cinematic universe machine built on flimsy storylines with flat characterisation that isn't resonating with the mainstream audience while regularly alienating comic book fans. Worse, their boldest deviations from the source material (Lex Luthor, brutal Batman, conflicted Superman, edgy Joker) haven't really been paying off dramatically and critically.

The action beats, no matter how spectacular the stunts and special effects, need tension and investment to work.

Working from problematic screenplays and then butchering the plots even more by inserting poorly thought-out foreshadowing and focus-tested cuts is not doing these movies any favours.

But I guess the executives have gone all-in with this vision and they'll have to ride it out. Shame really.

Kin5290

I don't enjoy most of Marvel's output except for Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, and maybe some early Spider-Man's. I hope they avoid the route of trying to copy Marvel's success and just keep doing what they have planned. Like I said, I'm enjoying this universe and how things are playing out.
What they have planned is literally trying to copy Marvel's success. Only instead of building up to an epic blockbuster team up movie through years of character work and set up, they're rushing the job, fucking up the characters, and then hoping everything turns out for the best.

Apathy

We must be talking about a different Snyder then cause none of those things apply.

Well there you go, at least now we can go into every DC cu movie with low expectations now and be pleasantly surprised if it surpasses then instead of the other way around.

Zombine

Banned
There's a 5, 8, King, and 7 in play.

Warner Bros has a 2 & 3 in their hand. They're sitting at a table with Marvel who has two aces.

The River is a 9.

WB knows they don't have a straight but they go all in.

Marvel calls their bluff.

WB still thinks they won anyways. Time to buy in again.

Roven, meanwhile, says that tonal changes from “Batman v Superman” to “Justice League” were going to happen anyway, because of the variety of characters

Are they saying that a movie with Flash and Aquaman should have a lighter tone than a Superman movie? Because I call bullshit on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom