• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning, PS+ members: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has major Persona 3 & 4 spoilers

Andrefpvs

I've seen a significant amount of people asking about this in PlayStation Plus threads, so I thought I'd make a quick thread to warn everyone. If this prevents at least one person from getting spoiled, I'd say it's worth it :)

Alright, so here's the deal: if you're currently playing Persona 3 or Persona 4 for the first time (either the normal or Portable/FES/Golden versions), or are planning on eventually playing them in the future, I would advise against playing any Arena game right now. You should still download the game/add it to your account, but you might want to hold off on playing it until you've completed both P3 and P4 (or decided to not ever complete them).

The story of the Arena series is a direct sequel to both Persona 3 and 4. Despite its name, I'd argue that it is more of a sequel to P3 than P4.

The timeline goes like this (in parentheses are the versions that superseded the original canon):

Persona 3 (FES) -> Persona 4 (Golden) -> Persona 4 Arena -> Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Since you can get Persona 4 Arena's story as DLC for Ultimax, there's no need to get that game. While you can play Persona 3 and Persona 4 in any order, playing any of the Arena games before will spoil you on either game.

The spoilers aren't limited to the game's Story mode. If you're clever enough (and chances are that you are, since you're interested in Persona 💛), then you can infer significant spoilers from the character selection screen alone.

Just off the top of my head, the Arena series contains the following spoilers (actual spoilers in the spoiler tags, don't quote this post):

• (P4)
    The 'culprit' from Persona 4
  • (P4)
    Naoto's gender
  • (P3)
    ROBOTS o_O
  • (P3)
    Shuji Ikutsuki and Takeharu Kirijo plotlines
  • (P3)
    Junpei and Chidori's relationship
  • (P3)
    P3's main character's fate
  • (P3+P4)
    Elizabeth's post-P3 quest

There are even P3 FES (The Answer) and P4 Golden specific spoilers, such as:

• (Golden)
    Marie's true nature
  • (FES)
    Aigis's arcana change
  • (FES)
    P3's main character tuning into a door or whatever

The thing about the story in the Arena games is that, well, it's not even that good (by the series' standards), so it'd be an even bigger shame if people got spoiled because of it. I still recommend playing it because there are some great moments in there, but just remember to keep the good and forget about the bad :p

If you really want to try the game before beating P3 and P4, here are a few steps you can take to minimise the number of spoilers you stumble upon:
- Don't play the story mode.
- Keep the game at version 1.00. Downloading the patch will add a few characters to the roster.
- Do not look at the DLC for the game.

Okay, I guess that's it. Don't let me be "The Man", though. I just thought I'd let unsuspecting people know. Do whatever you want as long as you have fun!

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Remind me what was
the fate of the main character
in P3. Which ending was canon?

Or download the game and just play it without touching the awfully boring story mode. As a fan of the series even I couldn't sit through it.

[*](P4)
Naoto's gender

okay but

this one was ENTIRELY SPOILED in the west from the FIRST MOMENT thanks to voice acting. like
"Marth" being Lucina in Fire Emblem
and
literally any time this trope happens in the west BECAUSE IT'S SO OBVIOUS WHEN DUBBED

Andrefpvs

okay but

this one was ENTIRELY SPOILED in the west from the FIRST MOMENT thanks to voice acting. like
and
literally any time this trope happens in the west BECAUSE IT'S SO OBVIOUS WHEN DUBBED

I still REFUSE TO BELIEVE that no one picked this up the very second they met them.

Nice job though OP. I would hope someone that plays the game played at least 4 beforehand.

I personally agree. However, not everyone realised that, so there is a point in considering it a spoiler.

Soulflarz

Banned
There have been more than a few people who have said on this forum that they did not realize it until it was explicitly revealed.

Wait really

I was actually surprised when they revealed it as a twist.

As in, I was surprised it was worth mentioning at all, I thought I was supposed to know from the start.

okay but

and

it's not that obvious
when you have a women voicing androgynous looking boy characters in anime very often.

Catvoca

Banned
Or download the game and just play it without touching the awfully boring story mode. As a fan of the series even I couldn't sit through it.

This pretty much. Such a disappointing storyline in the arena games. The only parts I really liked where the
Labrys
bits in the first game. Some of the P3 stuff is ok too, I guess, but the P4 cast are treated like trash.

Zalman

I was always surprised by how spoilery this game is. They're not even trying to hide it. I get that the games are years old at this point, but I don't think that's an excuse.

Thank you for this, I haven't played P3 yet.

I'm hoping and waiting for a PS4 port to be honest.
They should definitely port P3 and P4G. P5 is going to be the first Persona game for a lot of people.

J-Skee

I think I'm okay with knowing Persona 3 stuff. I never really planned on playing it. I do have Persona 4 Golden & planned on getting into that before Persona 5 comes out. Or should I just go into Persona 5 fresh?

FluxWaveZ

I was always surprised by how spoilery this game is. They're not even trying to hide it. I get that the games are years old at this point, but I don't think that's an excuse.

It's a direct sequel to the direct sequel of Persona 3 and Persona 4. It's not about it being an excuse or not; saying direct sequels shouldn't spoil the games that preceded them is silly.

Guess Who

Banned
I like how Arena 1 went out of its way not to spoil (P4)
the culprit of P4
but then Ultimax just stopped giving a fuck.

I think I'm okay with knowing Persona 3 stuff. I never really planned on playing it. I do have Persona 4 Golden & planned on getting into that before Persona 5 comes out. Or should I just go into Persona 5 fresh?

Play Persona 4 Golden dude. P3 is also pretty fucking good. If I were you, I would play P3 first, then P4G.

P4G is definitely worth playing. I don't think P5 will be related to P4 at all, but P4 is a PS2 game and is the killer app on the vita/pstv for a *reason*.

They should definitely port P3 and P4G. P5 is going to be the first Persona game for a lot of people.

Which is fine. We don't even know if they're going to be connected very much at all. If P5 does well I half expect a bunch of at least 4/5 crossovers, maybe even 3/4/5. But I'm fairly sure 5 will be standalone beyond maybe a token school visit to Inaba or a small cameo or two.

Just avoid the Story mode and you'll be fine.

I mean, even looking at the character roster is potentially enough for spoilers.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My first Persona game ever was Arena. Even if it spoiled both endings of P3 and P4, P3P was such a fantastic journey that I played it regardless and enjoyed it very much. Just chipping in my 2 cents, don't get discouraged if you got spoiled on the endings.

Dremark

Banned
I like how Arena 1 went out of its way not to spoil (P4)
the culprit of P4
but then Ultimax just stopped giving a fuck.

People seemed to want him to be playable badly.

Also is there actually anything of any importance storywise in P4G I missed by only playing the original version? I really regret trusting Atlus that PS2 P4 would be the only and definitive version of the game.

Piccoro

I was one of the people that asked if it had spoilers.

I thought I wasn't gonna play Ultimax before P3 and 4, but lately I've been thinking about it differently...

Thing is, I love fighting games. But as for RPGS, I love them in theory, but I always drop them after a while. For example, I dished out a lot of money recently for Xenoblade Chronicles and X, played a few hours and they are now collecting dust...

So I'm thinking to myself: Why pretend I will play and finish P3 and P4, when I hardly touch any other games in my backlog? I have little time to play, and when I get home from work I only have the drive to play my favorite genres (like fighting).
So why not have the story of P3 and P4 told to me through the fighting game and not the RPGS?
That way I will know the story of those games, as opposed as never knowing the story at all!

AlexBasch

Does it explain why
Yukari turns into a huge bitch in FES, tho.

Because I couldn't fucking stand
her
in there, enjoyed
beating the hell out of her during the fights with your party, while I felt bad fighting the rest of the cast. :(

FluxWaveZ

So why not have the story of P3 and P4 told to me through the fighting game and not the RPGS?
That way I will know the story of those games, as opposed as never knowing the story at all!

The fighting games are sequels, not retellings of the RPGs at all.

RedBoot

Also is there actually anything of any importance storywise in P4G I missed by only playing the original version? I really regret trusting Atlus that PS2 P4 would be the only and definitive version of the game.

Just anything related to
<buffer space> Marie.
. Not sure how much that'll factor into future games.

Guess Who

Banned

Not really. The only thing you need to know about P4G going into Ultimax is basically "Marie exists." If you have Marie's DLC or play against Marie online,
her instant kill kind of spoils her plot importance.

Man I didn't even realize it was a free PS+ title this month. Guess that's what I get for just looking at the PS4 and Vita stuff.

Andrefpvs

Wouldn't this be kinda obvious? It stars the main characters and takes place after the games

Well, this thread is aimed at the people who don't do that research. It's not immediately obvious that a game named after "Persona 4" spoils almost all of Persona 3.

That
Naoto "spoiler" lol. Come on.
It's obvious the moment you lay eyes on him.

I don't think you should decide that for everyone else. See: NeonBlack's post above.

NeonBlack

Well, this thread is aimed at the people who don't do that research. It's not immediately obvious that a game named after "Persona 4" spoils almost all of Persona 3.

I meant P4 spoilers. But I can see that P3 spoilers could be a surprise because they're disjointed.

Top Bottom