• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warzone 2.0 DMZ introducing Pay2Win Weapons and Operator Perks

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Season 3 kicked off yesterday and introduced Active Duty Slots where you can have 3 operators for different tasks - nice! But, if you want an extra Active Duty Slot you can buy this guy:

f6e1sh4s9hta1.jpg

You'll also receive this gun:

BOOM-PROOF-1.webp

Insured Weapon Cooldown: 15 minutes... So if you've gained the third insured weapon slot in DMZ (reward for doing high tier missions) you can install this in it and instead of waiting 3 hours for using your insured weapon slot, you can wait 15 minutes.

This is just the beginning, cause datamined operators will be way more powerful - look at this shit:

ba7wdkgjuhta1.jpg

Free UAV every game! LOL! Imagine a premade squad all running this on Ashika Island. Madness.. And this package also has two weapons with cooldown effect.

zwh9fqxjohta1.png

Start with a 2-plate armor every game? No problem! Just buy!

Fth9V4SXwBYqvoG

How bout starting with a self-revive every game? Buy buy buy!

This shit is some of the worst P2W I've ever seen. Like who in their right mind would ever think this would be a good idea? Gordon Gekko?

e5ke8jl60ita1.png

SomeGit

Is there an operator that disables rotational auto-aim for controller users or enables input based matchmaking?

I liked the game a lot but every single controller user being able to instantly track other players for free killed the game for me. Sadly with this and the premium battle pass it seems like the strategy is to milk whatever is left of the player base rather than improve the game.

HTK

Banned
CoD Devs and Activision have been idiotic in a lot of decision making. Great talent and quality but some decisions are completely out of touch.

WZ2 has started to essentially revert back to WZ1 design principals and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Kupfer

In Warzone 1 there was already P2W, even if it was hidden. I already wrote that in April 2021:

The dev is beyond help anyway, as you can see right now at the Sykov gate. Once again, a perfect OP pistol (Makarov-version), which can be leveled up to the full automatic with 80round drum magazine. As if the weapon wasn't enough as a secondary, you can of course play it akimbo, which means 160 rounds without reloading. Coincidentally (!), this weapon came with the new "Sparks" bundle, which you can buy for a measly 2400CP (20€ ?) if you're not into the grind that would otherwise be required to play this weapon. It seems to be a simple method to release bundles that include the slightly improved basic weapon of a new Most-Effective-Tactic-Available (META), so that the player has the choice between

1) spending endless hours in Warzone to unlock this weapon "for free".

2) investing in the main game to unlock and level up these weapons within 2-3 hours within the regular multiplayer.

3) just buy the bundle with a blueprint of the new weapon for said 20€ and start playing right away.

THAT'S what I call Pay2Win, but something like that doesn't seem worth the outcry, because then you would have to admit that you are part of the problem. And a news or a critical report about it I have not read here yet, but I do not expect, that would mean that you have to deal critically with the issue and could tick off.

The same pattern existed with a DMR that newly made it into the game and completely dominated the game, also some shotgun with self-igniting ammo, if I remember correctly. The developer is definitely doing this intentionally, only to apologize 2 weeks later and nerf said guns after tens of thousands have already spent their money on them.

When I realized that, that was the point where I finished with CoD and Warzone after hundreds of hours.

Last edited:

realcool

i imagine a day where activision introduces a character creator in CoD just so they can start you at 0 in several skills ala tarkov, whilst also going the nba2k route and make the grind so tedious to level up your skills that you feel compelled to purchase skill points in order to bypass the chore.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I only play the campaign/MP so it doesn't affect me (hate BR games). If they'd locked the FJX Imperium sniper behind $ though... I'd be pissed.
Wait DMZ isn't the BR is it? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The same pattern existed with a DMR that newly made it into the game and completely dominated the game, also some shotgun with self-igniting ammo, if I remember correctly. The developer is definitely doing this intentionally, only to apologize 2 weeks later and nerf said guns after tens of thousands have already spent their money on them.
You couldn't buy the Tempus or Broadside and they were easy to grind.

I have no problem with grinding weapons, but if they're behind a paywall it's a problem.

This is the worst we've ever seen in a CoD game.

I’ve not played in months now and SBMM was the final nail in the coffin for me. Way to sweaty all the fucking time.

This though? I’m not buying another Call of Duty title again. I won’t support this bullshit and I’ll find my shooter fix elsewhere.

Lasha

I’ve not played in months now and SBMM was the final nail in the coffin for me. Way to sweaty all the fucking time.

This though? I’m not buying another Call of Duty title again. I won’t support this bullshit and I’ll find my shooter fix elsewhere.

Why don't you like SBMM? Its fairer to the people you used to stomp.

No matter what we do, the cycle remains the same. Streamers play it cuz they get payed and have no morals whatsoever and in turn that makes people play as well becaue streamers hype the shit out of things, never call out the bs. Fucking stupid.

Boss Mog

I was into the first Warzone for a while with the Verdansk map. I was curious about Warzone 2 but after installing it and playing it, it felt as if everything about it was the same if not worse than the original Warzone when I played so I just uninstalled and it looks like I will not be reinstalling.

Last edited:
Why don't you like SBMM? Its fairer to the people you used to stomp.
I should have been clearer. I’d prefer them to only have SBMM in ranked matches or to tweak it so that it’s not so strict. I took a break for a month or so, came back and was absolutely trashed in every game. It’s not fun, at all.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY!!!!

I didn't buy / play a COD in 10 years and only started playing DMZ 2 months ago and actually having a lot of fun while not paying a single cent. Now they're going to add this shit ... ffs.

I will 100% abuse everyone over comms that I come across using these skins and never revive them, even if they're my teammates.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
This does not surprise me from Activision as I remember infinite warfare multiplayer where you simply had to have p2w guns either by farming them or buying them as they were op.

I'm just surprised it took them so long.

calistan

This doesn't seem like a huge problem to me. I haven't played it for a while, but things like vests, self revive, etc, are scattered all over the place. Not difficult to find anyway. By the time you get to the point where you're likely to see other players, everybody has them.

And the gun that you can reuse after 15 mins seems a good idea, since locking out your good weapons for hours was one of the things that stopped me playing it much.

I should have been clearer. I’d prefer them to only have SBMM in ranked matches or to tweak it so that it’s not so strict. I took a break for a month or so, came back and was absolutely trashed in every game. It’s not fun, at all.
The more you get trashed, the lower the skill level in upcoming games, right?

Aaron Olive

Yup looked at the patch notes and it read….

Damage reduced
Damage reduced
Damage reduced
Damage reduced
Damage reduced
Damage reduced
Damage reduced

Got into the menu and was greeted by
Buy Battlepass black and gold now! Super value only $30 dollars…..
Trollface_non-free.png

After I played a few matches I was like ehh nope and finally decided to hit the delete button.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Seriously, this kind of crap has put me right off Warzone, bloody insurance on guns? pay to win?

People give Fortnite shit, but it has a simple model that is equal to all regardless of how much you've paid.

And it will stick... Battle Royale gamers are the same as Sport gamers they gladly accept any shit publisher's shove up their ass.

Just like sport games now days are just pay to win garbage for losers all BR games will now follow suit.

Well what did you expected from such shit games?

Seriously, this kind of crap has put me right off Warzone, bloody insurance on guns? pay to win?

People give Fortnite shit, but it has a simple model that is equal to all regardless of how much you've paid.
I’ll make you right about Fortnite. The last time I played it (probably about a year ago) it seemed to be pretty well balanced and I didn’t notice any pay to win stuff going on.

I’m starting to think that Fortnite is basically the WoW of battle royale games at this point.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
This doesn't seem like a huge problem to me. I haven't played it for a while, but things like vests, self revive, etc, are scattered all over the place. Not difficult to find anyway. By the time you get to the point where you're likely to see other players, everybody has them.
I'm a very routined DMZ player and no it's not as easy as you state - especially when teams are pushing spawns and 80% of the playerbase are PvP focused.

And the gun that you can reuse after 15 mins seems a good idea, since locking out your good weapons for hours was one of the things that stopped me playing it much.
Good for those who are willing to pay for it - sure...

Mossybrew

Yeah this is a shit move. I play mostly DMZ these days and this sets a really bad precedent. Decided not to buy this season's battlepass. I'm still going to play because me and my buddy have a fun time in this mode, and they are making improvements like the workbench and operator slots, but if DMZ is just going to become a pay-to-win playground that will be a real shame.

Phase

In Warzone 1 there was already P2W, even if it was hidden. I already wrote that in April 2021:

This is a very common practice in mobile gaming. They'll release a new character who is op and at the top of the tier list, then a few weeks later after everyone has paid them they balance them. Really scummy practice.

calistan

I'm a very routined DMZ player and no it's not as easy as you state - especially when teams are pushing spawns and 80% of the playerbase are PvP focused.

Good for those who are willing to pay for it - sure...
I defer to your greater experience in the game. As a casual player it didn’t seem so bad to me but if it spoils things for the hardcore, that’s the core player base that keeps the game relevant for the entire year, and they really shouldn’t mess with that.

When I realized that, that was the point where I finished with CoD and Warzone after hundreds of hours.
They did this with the full black camo skin too. Could hardly see players using it in certain scenarios, they then nerfed it a bit in future patches.

Company are fucking trash.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Technically still optional, but I think most DMZ people eventually will feel somewhat pressured to buy this. A backpack f.ex., I'd say it's one of the more essential equipment to make the runs hassle free to have more time finishing missions. ..And for some peculiar reason previous season backpacks seemed to be harder to find..

Top Bottom