• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2006 the year of bad games? -poll-

Was 2006 the year of bad games?

• While the output was bad, some of these bad games were at least enjoyable on some front.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Many of those reviews were good and some gamers, along with critics, have bad taste.

• I've never played and/or heard of any of these games.

• Total voters
For gaming, there are good games and bad games. But from gamers respective, and critics perspective, one year in particular is often said to be THE or one of THE worst years in gaming of all times. Especially since a lot of these games were in the HD transition period of 2006.

What do you think? Do you believe that 2006 was one of the biggest years of bad game output?

Here are some of the games that are frequently on the worst games of 2006 lists and videos World Wide from critics and average gamers, I'm sure there's more not covered:

sonic-the-hedgehog-2006.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

t86550672-b127892102_s400.jpg

Final Fight StreetWise

konami-bomberman-act-zero-for-xbox-360-original-imaeky2fu5fy2jgv.jpeg

Bomber Man Act Zero

wc-Dirge-of-Cerberus-Final-Fantasy-VII-PS2.jpg

Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus

25%20to%20life.jpg

25 to life

51TCNWDKB3L.jpg

Super Monkey Ball Adventure

Sonic-Riders-E-Disc-Only.jpg

Sonic Riders

74249_front_400x400_crop_center.jpg

Ruff Trigger

EA-Replay-Sony-PSP-Rare-Retro-Childrens-Kids.jpg

EA Replay

511768CHYQL._QL40_SX400_.jpg

Warpath

$_1.JPG

Blade Dancer Lineage

Genji-Days-of-the-Blade-Sony-PlayStation-3.jpg

Genji Days of Blade

272752959_c56331d8-d88f-4f92-b775-cb86a3a0d109.jpg

Pimp My Ride

Crash_20Boom_20Bang_20_USA_400x400_crop_center.jpg

Crash Boom Bang

bb8b3145b31a.jpg

Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run

sonic_the_hedgehog_genesis.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog (GBA)

Reservoir-Dogs-M-Disc-Only.jpg

Reservoir Dogs

Superman-Returns-The-Videogame-Playstation-2-PS2.jpg

Super Man Returns

Used-PS2-Rule-of-Rose-Japan-Import.jpg

Rule of Rose

Kao-the-Kangaroo-Round-2-PS2-SP.jpg

Kao Kangaroo Round 2

56364_front_400x400_crop_center.jpg

Samurai Showdown 5

S_739111-MLB20489609672_112015-O.jpg

Gangs of London

Used-PS2-Metal-Slug-Japan-Import.jpg

Metal Slug 3D

Ubisoft-Astonishia-Story-PSP.jpg

Astonisha Story

Operation-Winback-2-Project-Poseidon-PS2-PlayStation-2.jpg

WinBack 2

USED-Driver-Parallel-Lines-Xbox.jpg

Driver Parallel lines

TOURIST TROPHY

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Maybe, but it also had Prey, so it's sort of one of the best years for quality game output too :)

I think any year where you're transitioning from one generation of consoles to the next is ripe for releasing lots of bad games. You can produce low-quality games for the last-gen systems at a low cost and move enough copies to turn a profit and you can also release half-assed games for the newly released consoles as well and people will buy them due to the lack of options on those new consoles.

Vawn

Banned
You could say that about every year. Go look at the Nintendo eShop. List the worst 25 games released just there this year and it would sound like 2018 was the worst year in history.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You could say that about every year. Go look at the Nintendo eShop. List the worst 25 games released just there this year and it would sound like 2018 was the worst year in history.

This, you can list shit games from every year. To find the worst year in gaming you have to find a year where there was a lack of many great games, which is probably somewhere in the 80's. As for this side of the millennium, 2014 wasn't that great - the best we got were PS4 ports, and Dark Souls 2 and Smash WiiU were pretty underwhelming. Only a few gems here and there.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It was pure shit. I agree with OP on this one.

- Oblivion is garbage and the character models look like ass.
- FFXII vanilla version wasn't half as good as IZJS.
- Gears of War is a glorified tech demo.
- PS3 is a disgrace to the playstation name. When your only decent exclusive is Resistance (which is fun to be fair) you know you fucked up.
- Kingdom Hearts 2 took a charming disney adventure and filled it with anime bullshit, not to mention it made you play every level twice.
- The Wii is a dildo machine whose novelty lasted for all of two weeks. If you look at forums back then, people in 2006 were playing Elebits unironically. Are you joking?
- "b-b-but Twilight Princess" oh you mean that game you could just play on Gamecube? You mean that 8.8 scoring game?
- Persona 3 was still Japan-only

scoff.gif

tkscz

If you only focus on whats bad sure. Hell, you can consider it one of the worse years for specific franchises and triple A companies, but some good was released that year as well. Now, 1983 was the worst year for games.

2006? Hmmm. WoW was still going astronomically strong. The rest of the video game world was non existent to me.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hmmm. WoW was still going strong. The rest of the video game world was non existent to me.

You probably were better off playing WoW, Counter-Strike, or any number of older games than dabbling in the shit pile known as 2006.

You probably were better off playing WoW, Counter-Strike, or any number of older games than dabbling in the shit pile known as 2006.

True. I mean from 2005 on I tried getting into other things from time to time but went right back to WoW. That really explains the gap of video game experience I have in my youth when other people get all nostalgic.

Last edited:

The consensus of the worst games has more games from 2006 than any other year. Some people don't even know what an Eshop is but know what Sonic 2006 is.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It was no different than any other year. Each year has a ton of shitty games released, but there were some absolutely BRILLIANT titles that released in 2006 that had changed the gaming industry for a short while (whether good or bad, depending on the person).

Vawn

Banned
The consensus of the worst games has more games from 2006 than any other year. Some people don't even know what an Eshop is but know what Sonic 2006 is.

Fine. The Nintendo Online Store. Everyone knows what it is. I could make a list of bad games from there, PSN, Xbox Live or Steam from just the past 3 months that would put that list to shame.

iconmaster

Banned
Maybe. It was the year of Wii and Wii Sports which, while I did enjoy, was somewhat indicative of a new unfortunate phase for gaming.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I almost forget other than KH2, .hack//G.U. Rebirth also came out in 2006.
hqdefault.jpg

So........I definitely don’t agree about 2006 being bad year.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Man, lots of good games in 2006.

Splinter Cell
Hitman
Ghost Recon
Gears of War
Half Life 2
Oblivion
Okami
Company of Heroes
Dead Rising
Guitar Hero
Final Fantasy
Zelda
Mario
Bully
Black
Saints Row
Battlefield
Resisitance
Call of Duty
Tomb Raider
Rainbow Six
Pokémon
Metal Gear

You just had a string of bad choices, that's all...

I don't remember it as a strong year at all. 2005 and 2007 were very strong, and maybe that makes 2006 stands out worse overall as well.

Fine. The Nintendo Online Store. Everyone knows what it is. I could make a list of bad games from there, PSN, Xbox Live or Steam from just the past 3 months that would put that list to shame.

The point was most average consumers don't know of those games and those games are often consensual recognized as bad leaving a long-term lasting impression of negativity.

Mooreberg

It was considerably less expensive to plop a turd out onto consoles and PC back then. These days, that stuff goes to mobile. It doesn't change how many great games came out that year, but yeah there really was liscensed game trash factory back then.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Some games in that OP were childhood favorites.... but I have to say, other than the soundtrack of Sonic '06 (which I am a sucker for) it was pretty basura.

Top Bottom