• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2011 the best year this gen?

I liked quite a few games from 2011 but Op your list seems like just randomly listing every 'AAA' game even if they are dogshit like da2 and crysis 2

2010 was also a great year:

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Darksiders, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, Blur, Gran Turismo 5, Donkey Kong Country Returns, God Of War 3, Metro 2033, Demon's Souls (PAL) e.t.c.

Amazing year overall IMO and my favorite along with 2007.

sign me up for 2010. Alan Wake and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX would be at the top of a 'best of the generation' list for me. 2007 close second.

Zia

I'm not sure, but 2013 is pretty great: The Last of Us and BioShock Infinite, two of the best 3DS games in Fire Emblem Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, it's been the best year for iOS yet, the Wii U looks like it may have a few games worth turning the thing on for, while I don't know that I've seen any classics, there's been a steady stream of very good indie games on PC and Mac and, last but not least, Dota 2, which has more staying power than pretty much anything else mentioned in this thread, is officially releasing in the next month or so.

So, I'm feeling pretty spoiled.

iqubal

Banned
Yep, 2011 especially in the fall was pure insanity. In a good way mind you. Best year for gaming in a long time.

2007 was the best year.

Mario Galaxy, Orange Box, CoD4, Halo 3, BioShock, Mass Effect, Crysis, Uncharted, Metroid Prime 3, etc.

Yep. There have been plenty of strong years, but many of the games here define this generation. How the heck did GAF even pick a "best of 2007" award?

friday

For me yes, 2011 had so many games I loved. I think that 2013 could equal in quality, but I won't really know till the end of the year. So far 2013 has been pretty good and it is just starting to heat up.

Vexxan

Yep, 2011 was indeed fantastic. Skyrim, Dark Souls and Saints Row The Third are my top picks from that year.

Flarin

2011 was certainly really strong , but 2013 is shaping up to be pretty amazing as well.

Ni no Kuni
DmC
Tomb Raider
MGR: Revengeance
Fire Emblem Awakening
Guacamelee!
The Last of Us
GTA V
Tales of Xillia
Watch Dogs
Bioshock Infinite
Pokemon X/Y
Etc.

katkombat

Banned
2013 easily for me based on Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.

<3 you

edit: damn, maybe 2011 ties with it

shadows of the damned
dead space 2
saints row 3
gears 3
mgs hd collection
dark souls
uncharted 3

there's a lot that year

2012 was good enough if just for spec ops: the line, xenoblade, the last story, binary domain, and lollipop chainsaw

I like 2013 so far, especially if you include next gen in the mix.

After that 2009 was special, 2008 gave us MGS4, 2011 fourth and 2010 fifth.

So in order

2013 > 2009 > 2008 > 2011 > 2010 > 2007 > 2012.

Last year was relatively weak.

Portables: 2013. Whatever year Ace Attorney 3 came out over here if we're not including the 3DS. But yeah, I consider this year's 3DS lineup to just be that damn good. It's insane to the point where 3DS sales in the West will probably be doing significantly better by the end of the year.

Consoles: Hard to judge because we didn't get a PS3 until the end of 2011... So I'll judge by the Wii to mess with GAF. Probably 2007 or 2008 for it because 2008 had Brawl and MKWii, which while not anywhere near the strongest entries in their series were still fun, but 2007 had Super Mario Galaxy.

2012 was the best GAMES ARE ART year haha

Journey
FTL
Telltale Walking Dead
Sleeping Dogs
Dishonored
Spec Ops The Line
Hotline Miami
Dear Esther

I'm going to agree with this and also add Persona 4 Golden

Yes I'm aware he said games are art have you SEEN Persona 4 Golden?

To me it's still 2007, I mean we got :

Mass Effect
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Super Mario Galaxy
The Witcher
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
The Orange Box
God of War II
Super Paper Mario
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Skate
Halo 3
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
BioShock
The Darkness
Odin Sphere
Crackdown

And many more !

Top is three franchises that defined the generation. Also, a little known game called Bioshock and Bungie's last MC game. 2007 did it for me. That's when the generation really began.

Every 3 years seems to be the sweet spot. '98, '01, '04, '07, '10. All great. 2010 had SMG2, Bayonetta, DKCR, ME2, RDR, SSF4, Starcraft 2, New Vegas, Vanquish, Guardian of Light, Just Cause 2...that's my favorite of the generation.

'13 is lookin' pretty damn good from where I'm standing. I've played and loved 3 games that are shoe-ins for the end of the year GotY list: Metal Gear Rising, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us, among some other very solid titles(Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Guacamelee, Luigi's Mansion 2, Injustice). There's some very promising stuff on the horizon, for me at least, as well: GTAV, Saints Row 4, the Wonderful 101, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Arkham Origins/Blackgate, Lords of Shadow 2, Rayman Legends, DKC5, LttP2, hell even that new Suda51 game looks like a decent rental.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
2013, year of the PS3

Bioshock Infinte
Last of Us
Beyond two souls
GT6
Dark Arisen
Injustice
GTA5
GoW Accension

jonno394

I was unemployed in 2010 but still found the opportunity to own and finish Yakuza 3, Red Dead Redemption, Mafia 2, Nier and Enslaved.

Five of my favourite games this gen.

Labadal

2010 for me. A lot of games missing, but here's a list of the some of the ones I have played and liked.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis
Darksiders
Mass Effect 2
Risen
Yakuza 3
Assassin's Creed 2
Nier
Red Dead Redemption
Modnation Racers
Alpha Protocol
Dragon Quest IX
Deathspank
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
Bayonetta
Army of Two: 40th Day
Fallout: New Vegas
Super Meat Boy
Gran Turismo 5

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Orange Box came out in 2007. So that's the only correct answer.

That game is the all-time best... at making me sick.
I thought that no game would ever take the crown from Forsaken on N64, but Valve sure showed me.
Still, 2007 is the correct answer.

Sorry OP but 2011 looks like just a pile of sequels.

I agree with 2007.

Mass Effect
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
STALKER
The Witcher

20012 gets an honorable mention for the fantastic indie growth.

waypoetic

Banned
Looking through the list that OP posted and there's Killzone 3 and Motorstorm : Apocalypse, two games that are the worst ones in their respective series.

I'm pretty pleased with 2013 so far and we got more great games coming, you know, like GRAND THEFT AUTO FIVE! :|

Agree with 2011 being the best. 2012 was terrible to me. Didn't buy any retail games outside of a few PC ones I downloaded. Stuck with handhelds and a few PSN games.

Top Bottom