• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2011 the best year this gen?

I will never, ever forget the November hell of 2011... too. many. games. We got MGS HD, Skyrim, Rayman Origins, L.A. Noire, Sonic Generations, UMVC3, Mario 3D Land, AC Revelations, Skyward Sword, and so much more.
I'm still waiting for another month like this.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna have to go with 2007 or 2010. Every year since 2007 has been awesome, too, though.

SHARKvince

Neo Member
2011 is a year I hold close to me when it comes to gaming, thanks to LittleBigPlanet 2, Infamous 2, Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations. I was even involved with the last one, so it's definitely one of my more memorable years in gaming.

Made a lot of friends through these games and I had tons of fun with them. Origins in local multiplayer brought our joy to euphoria levels :D

Staf

I only played and liked one game from 2011 and that was Deus ex. But it was kind of over-shadowed by the massive disappointed that is Dragon age 2. So all in all 2011 was a lousy year for me. I liked 2012 despite ME3 with games such as Journey and FTL.

Tan

2010 was also a great year:

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Darksiders, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, Blur, Gran Turismo 5, Donkey Kong Country Returns, God Of War 3, Metro 2033, Demon's Souls (PAL) e.t.c.

Amazing year overall IMO and my favorite along with 2007.

Wow it really was!

2007 was great.
Nintendo had:
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Wario Ware
-Wii Play
-Metorid Prime 3
-Super Paper Mario

Microsoft had:
-Crackdown
-Forza 2
-Halo 3
-Mass Effect
-PGR4
-Shadowrun
-Blue Dragon

Sony had:
-Uncharted
-Ratchet and Clank
-Heavenly Sword

Multiplatform:
-COD4
-Assassins Creed
-Rock band
-Orange Box

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Darksiders, Halo Reach, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, Blur, Gran Turismo 5, Donkey Kong Country Returns, God Of War 3, Metro 2033, Demon's Souls (PAL) e.t.c.

Sin and Punishment 2, Nier and Resonance of Fate as well... I think 2010 was my favorite year this gen actually.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
2009 had Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls within a week apart from each other. Quality, not quantity?

2010 personally

RDR
Mass Effect 2
Starcraft 2
Civilization 5
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bioshock 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Just Cause 2
Red Steel 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
VVVVVV
Vanquish

Just all really solid games that I enjoyed. 2007 would be runner up.

Cartman86

Banned
2007 was the year that defined this generation. It also ultimately drug it down with every game after trying to recapture what those games did. 2012 and now The Last of Us feel like they finally managed to move beyond 07's influence.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Probably, but only because I played Demon's Souls and Mass Effect 2 that year.

UraMallas

I have to go with 2007. Rock Band alone gave me more hours of enjoyment than all games that year combined. Add Halo 3, Crackdown, Mass Effect, BioShock, Call of Duty 4, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Super Mario Galaxy. There was a game I needed to play coming out monthly.

Lingitiz

I don't know if 2012 was the best year, but in terms of sheer diversity it was pretty amazing. It was really the year where the artificial line between downloadable and AAA didn't matter anymore.

Stuff like Hotline Miami, FTL, Chivalry, Journey, The Walking Dead, XCOM, Guild Wars 2 and Dishonored all felt new and fresh.

A lot of AAA games like Halo 4, Diablo III and AC3 disappointed, but a few like Sleeping Dogs and FarCry 3 were still really fantastic.

As good as this year has been with Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us, we haven't seen the same diversity as last year. Hopefully a bunch of games will pop up out of nowhere to surprise.

mokeyjoe

Bayonetta, then Mario Galaxy 2, then Red Dead Redemption. Absolute best 6 month period of gaming for me.

edit: Oh yeah and Mass Effect 2 and Demon's Souls (UK) that year too.

NIGHT-

Seeing all these list make me realize how good this gen has been. It gets a lot of slack from shit like RROD/YlLOD , online passes and DLC. There have been some really good games released in the last 6 years or so

SMgamer83

For me, this was the year. Galaxy 2 and Heavy Rain topped off an amazing year of games. Meat Boy, Pac-Man, and DKCR also amazing.

It seems way to early to even pretend 2013 though...

N2NOther

Banned
Was just looking at the releases and holy shit. We will never see anything like this again. Here's most of the big games.

The Witcher 2
Portal 2
LA Noire
Déus Ex Human Revolution
Dead island
Uncharted 3
Skyrim
Saints row the third
The only games on that list that I gave a shit about and most I played in 2012.

This year is going to be the best overall.

Top Bottom