• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was 2016 the best year EVER for shooters?

In 2016, we got strong

Multiplayer shooters:
- Overwatch
- Battlefield 1

Single player shooters:
- DOOM
- Titanfall 2
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Cooperative shooters:
- Gears of War 4
- The Division

Story focused third person shooters:
- Uncharted 4
- Quantum Break
- Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC/PS4)

Open world shooters:
- Watch Dogs 2
- Mafia 3
- Far Cry Primal

Shooters that tried something new:
- Superhot
- Shadow Warrior 2
- ReCore

My favorite shooter of the year, Rainbow Six Siege, wasn't even released in 2016, but really grew and took on a life of its own this year.

Both Black Ops 1 and Mass Effect 2 were added to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility this year, and the original Modern Warfare got a pretty strong remaster.

And we even got the return of Halo multiplayer (complete with a server browser!) on PC this year, in the form of Halo 5: Forge.

What do you think GAF, was 2016 the best year EVER for shooters? Are you happy that we are getting so many games in this genre, or do you think that the market is becoming too oversaturated?

Kill3r7

FPS? It's arguable.

Both TPS I played (Uncharted and Quantum Break) were weak.

You forgot Gears friend which still had that awesome Gears gameplay.

As far as the OP is concerned 2007 is still king. COD 4, Halo 3, Crysis, STALKER, TF2, Bioshock, The Darkness, UT3 and many, many more.

EDIT: Forgot PRIME 3.

You forgot Gears friend which still had that awesome Gears gameplay.

As far as the OP is concerned 2007 is still king. COD 4, Halo 3, Crysis, STALKER, TF2, Bioshock, The Darkness, UT3 and many, many more.

Word, I'd like to play Gears someday. I'm sure it's more fun than U4 or QB.

1999 makes a strong case with UT '99 and Q3 releasing in the same month alone. But there was also CS, TFC, Opposing Force, R6: Rogue Spear, AvP and System Shock 2 (as a hybrid).

Arrrammis

2016 was pretty great in terms of shooters. But Titanfall 2 is not a single player shooter, it's mainly multiplayer with a fantastic (but short) campaign.

1999 makes a strong case with UT '99 and Q3 releasing in the same month alone. But there was also CS, TFC, Opposing Force, R6: Rogue Spear, AvP and System Shock 2 (as a hybrid).

That was probably the best in my opinion, if I had to pick one year. 1998 (Half-Life, Rainbow Six, Unreal, etc) was pretty great, too.

Taking out games that aren't 100% focused on shooting like Uncharted 4, Watch Dogs 2, and RoTR, the only truly exceptional shooters on that list I'd say are Doom and Overwatch.
Id take or leave the rest. I don't think people will remember Far Cry Primal or the Division in a few years.

spekkeh

Banned
99 still the best for me too, but I was an adolescent then so it may also simply be that I was more receptive for shooters at that time.

AngryMoth

It was a damn good year and Overwatch is perhaps my favourite multiplayer game ever but 2007 is almost impossible to beat

Much better than the last couple of years that were dire. Probably doesn't come close the amount of shooters each year for years 2006-2011.

Nameless

As much as I am a "Battlefield guy" and prefer its multiplayer to anything, in terms of gunplay, traversal, level design, creativity, quality of the campaign, and overall depth, Titanfall 2 is unmatched. It's fucking stellar online and off. Far and away the best, most complete shooter of the generation much less 2016.

Nestunt

Very close to 2007 but still did not manage to beat it. 2007 had fewer quality shooters but the ones it had, I would argue, are all better than any in 2016.

For me? Easily.

Titanfall 2, Superhot, DOOM, and Overwatch are my most played games this year. I've never had a year where I almost exclusively played shooters.

Braag

Yeah it's been pretty great. DOOM especially was great and I was susprised at how much I actually enjoyed Infinite Warfare's SP campaign. Last time I tried to play a CoD campaign was BLOPS2 and couldn't get into it but IW surprised me.
I've yet to play Titanfall 2 but I'll probably pick it up eventually when it's a little bit cheaper as I'm mainly interested in the SP campaign everyone is praising so much.

Top Bottom