• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was anyone able to find Doom 3 today?

akascream

Banned
You clearly lack any understanding of what piracy really means to the industry. You're just a pawn of the media, believing whatever falsities it feeds you and believing its inept handling of the facts. The industry has no interest in prosecuting people who chosen to download the code as opposed to buying it. The industry knows these people have neither the funds nor the interest in the retail product to make a purchase, making lawsuits exceedingly unnecessary and overly expensive.

While you can sit there and call someone an "imbecile" for downloading something that's just one click away, why do you not focus your attention on the real problem: the providers of pirated software. I guess I could accuse your mental acumen of being well below par, but that would just be rude.

Your silly justifications aside, would you say downloading doom3 is any different than walking into EB and ganking a physical copy?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
akascream said:
Your silly justifications aside, would you say downloading doom3 is any different than walking into EB and ganking a physical copy?
Of course it's different. Walking into EB and stealing a physical copy is a lot of hard work and requires a backbone to do something like that. Downloading a copy off the internet is far more easier and presents less risk. In this day in age you'd have to be a complete idiot of a thief if you were to steal your games in a B&M store.

Thaedolus said:
This is true, but if someone were to get a legal notice in the mail, you could stick to the "But but but I bought it already!" story and probably get off.

Clinton%20Laugh%2001.jpg

Badabing said:
Piracy is a big issue and results in millions of dollars of loss, but it's nothing you and I as gamers should get pissed off about, especially since it hasn't stopped great video games from being made.

No, it hasn't stopped Doom 3 from being made, but piracy's stopped games like sequels to Frequency/Amplitude or other less successful games.

Phoenix said:
ID will do with pirates the same thing that music company is doing with them - complain to the professional organization that handles this and let them deal with the suing. RIAA sues countless people with a passion - don't think that IDSA/ESA won't do the same. Game companies pay them money to handle these sorts of things.

::raises hand:: :)

Malakhov

Banned
Thaedolus said:
This is true, but if someone were to get a legal notice in the mail, you could stick to the "But but but I bought it already!" story and probably get off.
Yep, if you could prove that you actually own the game, you'd get off.

Mrbob

TekunoRobby said:
What the fuck really?!

Comeone MrBob, you know better than that.

Hehehehe, I know, I know. Don't ruin the fun so soon. I was hoping to raise the ire of Xbox fans but you blew it. :(

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mrbob said:
Hehehehe, I know, I know. Don't ruin the fun so soon. I was hoping to raise the ire of Xbox fans but you blew it. :(
:( I blame my stupidity.

On the plus side, that Photoshop jobbie was 100% true. SEE SATAN IN HIS GLORY ULTRA LOW GOODNESS ON YOUR XBOX.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DJ Demon J said:
No, it hasn't stopped Doom 3 from being made, but piracy's stopped games like sequels to Frequency/Amplitude or other less successful games.

I don't believe piracy had anything to do with those, I'm not sure what the connection is here. They weren't successful because people weren't interested in music/shooter hybrids, not because their was rampant piracy of either title.

Malakhov

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
Lack of interest in these particular games are what stopped their sequels.

Izzy

Banned
Was anyone able to find Doom 3 today?

Apparently 47,000 people had no problem doing just that...but seriously, piracy was always around. When I was a kid, some 20+ years ago, there was a rampant ZX Spectrum/Commodore 64 pirate scene. Perhaps US was less exposed to it due to certain circumstances, but Europe was always a hotbed for piracy. Thanks to the Internet and the joys of the broadband, the rest of the world is joining in on fun.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
its in multiplayer mode... so can you respawn? It looks 100x more fun in co-op :) screw the scary shit, i want to pwn some monstaaazzz

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
God's Hand said:
WAIT. Does Doom 3 PC SHIP with co-op, or is this a fan-made add-on?
Same team who announced they would be working on the co-op version a few weeks ago (or more, not sure). It's definitely fanmade and it seems like it wasn't all that difficult to implement.

Wouldn't know how long it'll take for it to be released to the public but I'll go ahead and guess within this week we'll have some form of co-op.

DopeyFish

TekunoRobby said:
Same team who announced they would be working on the co-op version a few weeks ago (or more, not sure). It's definitely fanmade and it seems like it wasn't all that difficult to implement.

Wouldn't know how long it'll take for it to be released to the public but I'll go ahead and guess within this week we'll have some form of co-op.

they need to rescript some things, because 2 people can't be there for the cutscenes

Mirk

Those vids are sweet I can't wait to get this!!!

and damn thats alot of
pirate.gif
's d/l this game! Tis a shame.
nono.gif

emerge

I bet it's safe to say that Doom3 will take the crown as the single most bandwidth consuming thing to hit the internet. If 100k people get it within 24hrs the distribution will have used an average of 16.25 GBit/s of bandwidth. Impressive

ManaByte

Gold Member
emerge said:
I bet it's safe to say that Doom3 will take the crown as the single most bandwidth consuming thing to hit the internet. If 100k people get it within 24hrs the distribution will have used an average of 16.25 GBit/s of bandwidth. Impressive

And virus makers are drooling at the thought.

-=DoAvl=-

Anyone know the aussie release date and cost? :D

edit: don't worry bout that, just rang up eb and they said either today or tomorrow! w00t! Now if could be fucked changing and going down to highpoint... hmmm...

SKluck

Banned
Well, the requirements for each quality level are pretty accurate. High Qual is for 256MB cards, and I can play it fine on my 128MB 9800pro, but pretty much before every door opens, every enemy appears, it freezes for a half second, hence, more vid ram is required.

Other than that it is fine. I'll step it down to medium. Difference is negligable anyway.

Mrbob

SKluck said:
Well, the requirements for each quality level are pretty accurate. High Qual is for 256MB cards, and I can play it fine on my 128MB 9800pro, but pretty much before every door opens, every enemy appears, it freezes for a half second, hence, more vid ram is required.

Other than that it is fine. I'll step it down to medium. Difference is negligable anyway.

How big of cache is on your hard drive? What speed is your processor? How much ram do you have? These pauses worry me. Does it not pause in medium?

What are the console commands to display the FPS...is it like Quake 2? Just getting all ready to play. Best Buy had the ViewSonic A90f+ monitor (19inch, 18 viewable) on sale for $229, I've been eyeing this puppy for some time and now it's mine. It made such a difference with UT2K4! My old monitor was at least 5-6 years old, the picture was hazy and the max res was 1200X1024. I now see what the heck I've been missing for the past 4 years! Anyway, got a gig of RAM in my rug now, just need Doom3.

DopeyFish

yes, the lacking gameplay, all you do is hit the mouse button and you win! OH THE ENGENIUITY of your insults is just so witty.

Mark another one down in the list chalk full of idiotic id bashers. NEXT!

just wait till you have 20 guys on your screen like I did :( I decided to sprint down a couple corridors and turned around and i think my framerate just plummeted down to earth... and not in style, either.

SKluck

Banned
Mrbob said:
How big of cache is on your hard drive? What speed is your processor? How much ram do you have? These pauses worry me. Does it not pause in medium?

8mb cache, 1 gig pc2700, athlon 2800. Honestly, other than these pauses, it's like 40-50 fps. And they are gone completely at medium quality with pretty much 50-60fps constant. Playing at 1024x768 btw.

I got some really nasty tearing though, had to turn vsync on, which stopped it. But that doesn't even make sense since the game is limited to 60fps max.

And shit the game is freaky. 20 minutes in and I'm shitting my pants. It's the whole every-hit-shakes-screen thing. Getting shot with a machine gun is like having a seizure.

Somehow I'm reluctant to beleive that the game is all that scary. It's weird...i know logically i'll probably be scared shitless...but the game just doesn't SEEM like it will scare me that much.

rc213

If u have a ATi card u might want to try the 4.8 Cat Beta's for fixes on the stutering and tearing. On other boards people are claiming it fixes these problems. PLZ REMEMBER THEY ARE BETA DRIVERS! IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PC GOES FUBAR! =)

Mrbob said:

I get the same occasional "pauses" as him, even on medium settings (my computer isn't fit for high settings anyway). Usually happens right before a doors open to a new room. It's just a small hitch. Nothing that detracts from the experience or anything. I guess it's just the game "loading" the new room. I have a P4 2.4 OCed at 2.8, 512mb ram. My HD has a 8mb cache.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I got some really nasty tearing though, had to turn vsync on, which stopped it. But that doesn't even make sense since the game is limited to 60fps max.
Unless your refresh rate is set to 60hz, it makes perfect sense you get tearing without VSync on.
And even with refresh@60hz, chances are pretty good the game internal time doesn't exactly match monitor refresh, so you basically need Vsync to guarantee there will be no tearing.

Ar_

ravingloon said:
Maybe if all the assholes would buy their games, I wouldn't have to pay 55 dollars to buy it. The good news for the increasing prices, however, is pretty soon PC gaming will be dead and prices will be moot . Hope the fucktards are pleased then.

Piracy has little to no effect on prices IMHO.
Console games,less pirated than PC ones, are still MORE expensive. You often pay 40$ for the PC versions of a multiplatform title, vs 50$ for the console one. Even thought PC games tend to sell less.

GC games, less pirated than PS2 ones, are still often MORE expensive.

We might argue that piracy helps REDUCE prices instead, since offers a cheaper alternative for items considered overpriced (think music CDs), encouraging the industry to make lower prices.

PC games - as well as Amiga, C64, Spectrum ones before - have always been pirated. Music has also always been pirated, since tape media, which we used to copy and excange among friends at school.
And after 15+ years, the industry is still alive. Are you really sure that it will come crashing soon due to piracy?

The general point is that who can easily afford to buy a game WILL BUY IT, imo, and enjoy the shiny boxe and accessoryes.
Piracy is for who doesnt have much money to spare, and wouldnt buy many games anyway - or at very least SHOULDNT buy many games and save their little money for most vital necessities.

I do think that rewarding the work of the devs is fair.
But is funny how, of all the wrong things on in the industry, on the devs / marketers / publishers side (royalties, viral marketing, fixed scores, regional lockouts, content approval processes, IP exploits, propietary uncompatible standards for sake of greed, expensive publishing channels), that so many customers just single out piracy as the source of all problems.
Like prices.
Which in fact, have imo more to do with royalties, regional locking and pricing, releases approval processes (keeps competition down and shelf space more avaliable), the retail channels used (downloadable content would be cheaper), than piracy.

Too much blindly listening to marketers speak?

Sysgen said:
A $10 million dollar loss is a $10 million dollar loss.

Except that, AFAIK, the reported "loss" is hugely exaggerated.
A company estimates that 10k copies of a game have been pirated, and reports a loss based on the supposition thet they would have sold 10k more copies.
THAT WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED, even if piracy was not existant, unless the price of original software was equal to that of pirated copies.
Minimum Wage Joe may easily have 100 pirated CDs, but if he were to buy only original games he couldnt afford more that a couple. The idea that piracy made him not buy 100 CDs in unrealistic.

EDIT #2:

It has to be restated: the idea that less piracy, thus more sales, would cause a price drop, is often unrealistic.
You are assuming that the industry will just be happy by making a tot of money, and will give up any extra that they might make.

What really happens, is that they try to increase the profits as much as possible.
If they can sell 100k copies at 50$, they will.
If they can sell 110k copies (assuming the increase is due a lakc of piracy) at 50$, THEY WILL STILL CHARGE 50$.
There is no a magic point where the industry say "since we are selling so many copies, we made enough money so will lower the prices", that I know of.

Sure, if they sell more, they can afford to lower prices in istances where they are forced to, like stiff competition.
But for a high profile game like DOOM 3, piracy or not, YOU WILL NOT SEE A PRICE REDUCTION.
When a game is expected to sell a lot, like DOOM 3, the price tag is NOT lower for this reason, but actually the opposite: HIGHER.
DOOM 3, sells for a slighty higher price than average, like all big name games sell for at least the standard 50$, more if they think they can get away with it.

Piracy not existing, you would still pay the same price for the game discussed in this thread.

SKluck said:
And shit the game is freaky. 20 minutes in and I'm shitting my pants. It's the whole every-hit-shakes-screen thing. Getting shot with a machine gun is like having a seizure.

Yeah. They did an *excellent* job with the fear factor. I wouldn't call it a survivor horror as it plays just like any other FPS, but it is a horror FPS.

siege

Banned
Awesome game. The atmosphere and tension is spot on. Nothing new in terms of actual gameplay (it's your standard FPS fare,) but the production values are through the roof - enabling an experience that is unmatched.

Not to take away from Doom 3 and say its just a tech demo with little value outside of it's visuals, but future games utilizing it's engine are going to be amazing.

This is clearly id's best game yet. I even find the multiplayer to be satisfying, although I only played a quick game. It feels alot like Quake 2, but with the 4 player limit and a dark atmosphere.

Go buy it!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Has anyone been seriously freaked out yet? Because so far I've only been a little stressed. I don't know, I'm just not feeling it..

The game is absolutely awesome though!

Belfast

I would buy it if I could find it!

Seriously, though, how many people here actually have the game yet?

And where did you find it?

I just took a trip to Best Buy, but nothing. Then again, its early in the day yet and I'll be making a trip out later, possibly stopping by CC and EBGames, as well. But it'd still be nice to know what the most likely places to find it are. I still have a bad feeling I won't get it today, though, because the east coast sucks!

This thread have turned from a "were you able to find it" thread into another tech discussion. :p

Top Bottom