• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Microsoft's Minecraft demonstration of HoloLens deceptive?

magnumpy

what I don't get is how they're going to get people to buy this. what does it offer me? what do I get by wearing this thing? as far as I can tell people would have zero reasons to buy this thing.

I'm supposed to buy this as an alternate way to play minecraft? instead of playing it on my phone? ok, well I already have several different ways to play minecraft, I guess you can throw this on the pile then.

how much does this hololens thing cost? honestly from what I can tell I would pay $0 for this. maybe if it cost $0.05 I would buy it, use it once, then put this in a closet never to be used again. that's if it cost 5 cents, in reality it would cost more than that and would just sit on store shelves.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some cars like Mercede's line up has a more viable option already with HUD projected on the windshield. Improving this technology would be better than wearing something just to improve driving experience.

Disagree. Car based HUDs are ok for basic information like speed or the next turning while navigating. But they are still basically like having a satnav or phone screen in a fixed location.

If you could have a compact version of hololens in the car, you could project the navigation route onto the road ahead. Literally highlight e lane you need to be in for that next turning etc. that could be really useful

Synth

You mean something like Glass?

Which was actually more ambitious than this in some ways.

Well, that's basically the same general purpose. They're both wearable AR, just different scales and functionality.

You know what it doesn't even matter actually... if the car's windscreen is augmented, then that's still AR anyway, and thus AR still trumphs VR the second you leave your sofa.

Crayon

If you could have a compact version of hololens in the car, you could project the navigation route onto the road ahead. Literally highlight e lane you need to be in for that next turning etc. that could be really useful

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck NO.

Don't need motherfuckers looking at a holographic line on the road. That's no way to drive. I'm no road rager but driving is already more treacherous than ever thanks to smartphones. And a face mounted smartphone is not the answer.

dezzy8

Similar to what they did with the kinect. Over exaggerating the capability of what it can do. And people are falling for it hook, line, and sinker once again.

Crayon

Similar to what they did with the kinect. Over exaggerating the capability of what it can do. And people are falling for it hook, line, and sinker once again.

You know a sufficiently advanced technology would look like magic.

Smoke and mirrors can look like magic too.

The E3 demo was misleading. It's a shame because the tech is really cool and does work. Overselling doesn't make sense.

It's fine to show a demo like they did if you are honest that it is showing the devices potential, rather than its current capabilities.

Microsoft being deceptive on NeoGAF?
Haven't ever heard of that.

After reading a few articles and lots of reactions, I wouldn't say it's deceptive. It works as advertised. FOV is the only issue. Also, you should stop thinking about this glasses as the direct competitor to VR. HoloLens is not only meant to be a gaming device.

It depends on the account.

Technical accounts talk about the fact that limbs and hands are not occluded at all, this is not surprising its a very difficult problem to solve. Here is a Tested video after Build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJg7T_Fruk&feature=youtu.be&t=1143 , I think it was the Tested video after E3 where they talked about all of the VR headsets where they said again that HoloLens wasn't doing this.
But they weren't talking about using actual complete software, but a Unity demo showing how to make very basic software for it. It's the software developer who would be programming the occlusion.

The more pressing issue wasn't the FOV it's the fact that they faked the demonstrations input once again.
But, the demonstration was controlled exactly as they showed, according to the press members who were able to try it out after the show, so how was that deceptive?

4Tran

The E3 demo was misleading. It's a shame because the tech is really cool and does work. Overselling doesn't make sense.

It's fine to show a demo like they did if you are honest that it is showing the devices potential, rather than its current capabilities.
Hololens isn't supposed to be a gaming peripheral in the first place. The only reason it showed up at Microsoft's conference was to steal some of the thunder from Sony's VR demonstrations. For that purpose, I guess it did an okay job - the caveat being that thunder isn't really all that important until VR units are publicly launched.

magnumpy

But, the demonstration was controlled exactly as they showed, according to the press members who were able to try it out after the show, so how was that deceptive?

the FOV is deceptive. in the videos the "holograms" took up 100% of your FOV. in reality these "holograms" only exist within a small portion of your total FOV.

aaahahah classic xbox.

basically as you get closer, the whole thing (like the minecraft castle) doesn't really fill your whole lens and instead it's closer to google glass where there's a screen and that where it gets filled?

of course that's misleading. anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. had they actually showed the true nature of the thing, i don't think it would've gotten that much buzz.

Three

The demonstrations are not the same as the on stage demos. Their glitchy nature has already been brought up in several hands on demos. What was deceptive was that the input was not being controlled by the person on stage. You can see this in the hand scrolling which scrolled back before the user. It makes input seem like it works flawlessly when it doesn't and they didn't have the confidence for a real on stage demo so they faked it.

Bsigg12

Wasn't sure which thread to bump but this one should work. Came across this video today and it seems to represent a more realistic FOV of the wearer. Also its a cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKpKlh1-en0

Didn't make a new thread as its not really game related.

Interesting. It seems they understand they need to do a better job at showing what an actual user will be seeing rather than the big sweeping view from the specialized camera.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wasn't sure which thread to bump but this one should work. Came across this video today and it seems to represent a more realistic FOV of the wearer. Also its a cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKpKlh1-en0

Didn't make a new thread as its not really game related.

Gonna be so many great uses for this tech.

I would love to have 3D scanned versions of classical sculptures that I can walk around and study in my living room.

Even with the limited FOV it'll be a really useful tool.

Top Bottom