• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Microsoft's Minecraft demonstration of HoloLens deceptive?

Two Words

This is the view that Microsoft showed the world to represent what a user wearing HoloLens sees.

hololens1_3342494b.jpg

This is the experience that they were being sold. But HoloLens does not have this kind of view. It is far more limited and a lot of people don't seem to know this. In reality, this is all you see as far as Hololens goes.

Screen_Shot_2015-06-16_at_10.37.33_AM.0.png

The fact that only a portion of your perspective is altered in a consistent space drastically changes how immersive the experience is. It is still some cool technology, but it is a far cry from what they demonstrated. I've heard very little talk about this detail. Shouldn't it be considered deceptive of Microsoft to misrepresent how the HoloLens works? They could have easily demonstrated the limited viewing size and explained it during the conference.

Kathian

Banned
Is HoloLens even going on sale any time soon; its kind of difficult for them to demo it any other way. Their deceptive sure but am not sure it really matters overall.

Soi-Fong

More "massively misleading" than deceptive really. The tech itself works. The FOV is just way below what they were showing.

Seth

So exactly what are we being shown vs what the holo lens actually does? Is the hololens producing the first image in OP yet only shows the viewing area displayed in the second image on its display? Does that mean the current version of hololens just isn't showing the full view of what its drawing? Or does that mean the first image is 100% simulated and is NOT real at all?

ps3ud0

Completely deceptive - the technology within Hololens will never be able to reproduce what MS demoed. There are fundamental limitations in their approach...

Talking specifically about FOV as per OP

ps3ud0 8)

If you watch a demonstration like this and expect it to be completely accurate and representative of the final product I don't think Microsoft is completely to blame.

Remember the kinect reveal?

This kind of thing isn't new unfortunately

Yes, but they get somewhat of a pass since what they're trying to convey is damn near impossible to do without some type of visual that's not a completely accurate representation.

nib95

Banned
Microsoft unfortunately has a history and habit of misleading demo's of these sorts of new technologies.

Two Words

So exactly what are we being shown vs what the holo lens actually does? Is the hololens producing the first image in OP yet only shows the viewing area displayed in the second image on its display? Does that mean the current version of hololens just isn't showing the full view of what its drawing? Or does that mean the first image is 100% simulated and is NOT real at all?

HoloLens does what was demoed at E3, but it is only visible by the player in that smaller window.

BahamutPT

I believe every HoloLens demonstration so far has been a bit misleading, not deceptive.
You have to actually read reviews/impressions/hands-on to get a sense that what you're getting isn't really the amazing thing they make it out to be during presentations (field and angle of view limitations for example).
Happened with the initial reveal and again at this E3.

Is HoloLens even going on sale any time soon; its kind of difficult for them to demo it any other way. Their deceptive sure but am not sure it really matters overall.

I believe they said something along the lines of "Windows 10 time frame" during the Windows 10 announcement.

Soi-Fong

What is the difference between massively misleading and deceptive?

Deceptive is if the tech didn't work. The tech clearly works and is impressive.

It's more misleading since you're being led to believe that the experience you get will be exactly as it was shown in the conference when in reality, it will not be.

Keby

I need to try this so bad. I still do not believe how opaque the "holograms" appear to be. I mean I know they are practically shinning a bright light in your eyes, but having it be completely 100% overlay over reality seems impossible to me.

I've only seen highlights and I don't really care about the tech either way, but after Milo and Kate I'm suspicious that any advanced tech like this they show is deceptive, if not outright fucking lies.

milo.jpg

If you watch a demonstration like this and expect it to be completely accurate and representative of the final product I don't think Microsoft is completely to blame.

Remember the kinect reveal?

This kind of thing isn't new unfortunately
A fool me once/fool me twice sort of thing, huh?

We should be able to believe in a tech demo. How can anyone make this the audience's fault?

Yes, but what the tech is actually capable of is far more impressive and harder to convey than Kinect, so I don't think they'll get the same kind of backlash for it.

Two Words

Yes, but they get somewhat of a pass since what they're trying to convey is damn near impossible to do without some type of visual that's not a completely accurate representation.

They could have easily simulated the field of view with the camera and explained that is the window in which Hololens works.

flkraven

Honestly, I feel more mislead every time I see the bullshit motion controls. I don't believe for a fucking second it will work that easily.

It's still cool tech, but I suspected something was fishy with the demo with the special camera. Definitely misleading if you didn't have your expectations in check.

jem0208

I've only seen highlights and I don't really care about the tech either way, but after Milo and Kate I'm suspicious that any advanced tech like this they show isn't deceptive, if not outright fucking lies.

milo.jpg
We have had many, many impressions from lots of different people who pretty much all say it works as shown, bar the FoV.

People are confusing the HoloLens and the specially built camera to show the audience the person interacting with the holograms. It was never to be indicative of the actual experience as they had the HoloLens on display for the press to try.

Two Words

People are confusing the HoloLens and the specially built camera to show the audience the person interacting with the holograms. It was never to be indicative of the actual experience as they had the HoloLens on display for the press to try.

They stated that they were using a special camera to show the audience what the guy wearing the headset sees. They never explicitly said that field of view is exactly the same for the HoloLens, but any uninformed audience is going to assume that.

amnesiac

Yeah, but did they mention that live? (don't know since I didn't watch it)

If I didn't read up on Hololens at all and just watched this I would not expect the FOV to be tiny.

mattp

honestly, i think it's not even the important question
yes, the real thing has a more narrow field of view. so it IS pretty deceptive of them to keep showing it off like this. but future iterations will most likely have a more full field of view

what i think is more important is, WHY would i want this thing for games? i have yet to see a single thing showing me what the fuck i need it for. yes, its probably incredible to look at and fool around with when youve got the minecraft thing popping out of a table or some other cool stuff mixed into the real world. and apparently it works really, really well
but...who cares?
how is this gonna work with any actual games?
all they showed off was projecting a game onto a wall.
the minecraft table view thing is cool, but that has nothing to do with gameplay. its just a map viewer, basically

SummitAve

Banned
It's only deceptive if you take things shown at a video game press conference literally. You know the same places where they purposefully attempt to keep things like exclusivity and CG amongst many other things totally ambiguous. They just wanna show some shit off.

Soi-Fong

I'd they'd have demoed it with the correct FOV clearly shown then I would have had no problem with it.

Wouldn't have been as impressive then.

Really.. MS can learn from early Oculus where they were completely honest in what the dev kits can and cannot do.

JaggedSac

Completely deceptive - the technology within Hololens will never be able to reproduce what MS demoed. There are fundamental limitations in their approach...

Talking specifically about FOV as per OP

ps3ud0 8)

Computational power and battery life of an untethered device mainly. The fov of the tethered version they showed in January had much better fov. When batteries get better, so will Hololens.

blakep267

What is the difference between massively misleading and deceptive?
Deceptive is not real. That stuff is real. It's just a smaller fov

McDonald's hamburgers are a little misleading from the sense that they don't look perfectly put together. But the hamburgers are real and edible

lets be honest here, theres no way that Hololens (in that state) is ever going to be affordable enough for the mass market to purchase. As far as im concerned, it was a nice tech demo that will not see the light of day for a long, long time.

Yeah, but did they mention that live? (don't know since I didn't watch it)

If I didn't read up on Hololens at all and just watched this I would not expect the FOV to be tiny.

Yes, every time they have showed the HoloLens they mentioned that they are using a specially built camera to show the person interacting with the holograms to the audience.

Two Words

It's only deceptive if you take things shown at a video game press conference literally. You know the same places where they purposefully attempt to keep things like exclusivity and CG amongst many other things totally ambiguous.

I think it is a natural assumption to take a live tech demo as something that is intending to represent the experience of the technology.

The FOV is not real. That is the deception I am talking abut.

what i think is more important is, WHY would i want this thing for games? i have yet to see a single thing showing me what the fuck i need it for.

You know it's not designed or marketed as a gaming device right? It's a device that can run games but that's not its primary use.

SerTapTap

I'd personally say yeah, the way they frame the device as working in presentations is majorly dissimilar to the actual experience, making it look way better.

No, deceptive is misleading, not outright fake. If I say my product is 100% salt free and it's only 10% salt free that's still deceptive.

I just realised how similar this is to the QR card stuff on the Vita.

It's basically rebranded AR, yes. Except it's in your face.

ps3ud0

Computational power of an untethered device mainly. The fov of the tethered version they showed in January had much better fov. When batteries get better, so will Hololens.
Lenses dont exist that can provide the refractive index to produce a full frame non-distorted image. The max is about 50 degrees IIRC - after that physics wins out...

That was discovered in the MS patents

ps3ud0 8)

mattp

You know it's not designed or marketed as a gaming device right? It's a device that can run games but that's not its primary use.

they showed it on stage at e3
they are trying to market the thing for games

i agree it makes no sense as a gaming device, which is the entire point of my post

SummitAve

Banned
I think it is a natural assumption to take a live tech demo as something that is intending to represent the experience of the technology.

Intending to represent sure, but there should never be an expectation that you can just take everything at face value. Unless you haven't been paying attention to anything for the last 20 or so years.

If you watch the vid I think the guy is doing what they did on the star wars demo, essentially just going through the motions and not actually controlling it live. This was mentioned in another thread the day after the show.

Top Bottom