• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Microsoft's Minecraft demonstration of HoloLens deceptive?

blakep267

No, deceptive is misleading, not outright fake. If I say my product is 100% salt free and it's only 10% salt free that's still deceptive.

It's basically rebranded AR, yes. Except it's in your face.
That's not the same thing at all. The hologram is there.

Salt free with salt is lying. Lying isn't misleading. Wearing heels is misleading. Outright saying you are 5 inches taller than you are is lying

Mesoian

It's only deceptive if they make the decision to never fix the FOV.

Considering we're not going to see a retail version of hololens in the near future, there's plenty of time to fix it.

JaggedSac

Lenses dont exist that can provide the refractive index to produce a full frame non-distorted image. The max is about 50 degrees IIRC - after that physics wins out...

ps3ud0 8)

Well, we know for a fact that they can improve to at least what it was in January.

Two Words

Intending to represent sure, but there should never be an expectation that you can just take everything at face value.

See, that's basically saying "Look, they're going to be deceptive. So it's on you to just remain skeptical, not on them to be honest."

Yes it was : Hololens is described by people who tried as : low visibility angle, laggy, shuttering, not as responsive.

Of course their " special camera " can fix all that

of course it's NOT for the Xbox One as well, but Microsoft like to keep the confusion around their thing, just like Kinect

JaggedSac

Yes it was : Hololens is described by people who tried as : low visibility angle, laggy, shuttering, not as responsive.

Of course their " special camer " can fix all that

of course it's NOT for the Xbox One as well, but Microsoft like to keep the confusion around their thing, just like Kinect

Gerstman didn't say anything about it being stuttering and non-responsive. In fact he said everything was quite smooth and cool. Only issue he had of course was the small fov.

Synth

I'd they'd have demoed it with the correct FOV clearly shown then I would have had no problem with it.

They basically place a HoloLens on a video camera.

The only reason why it give a different impression is because a video camera lacks peripheral vision. That "hologram visible" area would basically be what's visible on your TV when you're watching the presentation at home. Everything outside of it would essentially be what your eyes would capture, but a video camera will miss.

Recreating the "correct" FOV in this case would simply mean viewing the HoloLens image from further out to artificially give the impression of peripheral vision to a device that has none. I'm not sure why any company demonstrating a new product would choose to do that tbh.

eot

Banned
More "massively misleading" than deceptive really. The tech itself works. The FOV is just way below what they were showing.

Not necessarily, they weren't filming with a very high FOV so the FOV could very much have been the FOV. It takes up less of your vision than it takes up screen space in the video, but that's a different matter.

hodgy100

What is the difference between massively misleading and deceptive?

They mean the same thing, google cites misleading as synonym or deceptive.

deceptive:
giving an appearance or impression different from the true one; misleading.

misleading:
giving the wrong idea or impression.

Rembrandt

Banned

Of course their " special camera " can fix all that

link to those impressions? I've read nothing but good things bar the FOV. and they've said several times they're not tethering it to the XB1.

Why would the tech in this past January be any better than the tech showed last week?

iirc, the model with the wider FOV was tethered to a computer and this one wasn't. I may be wrong on that, but there's been two(?) different models with varying FOV.

link to those impressions? I've read nothing but good things bar the FOV. and they've said several times they're not tethering it to the XB1.

french press talking about it, sorry in french :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-N_82Xc2mg

He says it's very heavy and not confortable (all weight on the forehead or worst, the nose), you think of the huge glass cover you will have a wide FoV but actually there are the actuall glasses inside, that are very narrow " gameboy size " whatever he meant by that and you obviously only see the hologram through the two glasses (one for each eyes) and it's narrow. He praises the quality of the illusion of the demo (walking over, looking through the windows opening to a level " the illusion is pretty impressive " but he says that during the briefing demo around the table with the hologram character talking, it was " perfectly calibrated for the distance of the user, if you would come a bit closer with your head, you would loose the character of sight. Reactivity is not very good, if you shake your head you notice lag. Same when tilt up or down, your head you see color decomposition (green, blue, red) running out of the hologram. It's also very passive, we only looked at stuff. One moment there was a ship and there was some eye tracking because it poped information were the eye would look at. Then they took off the helms of our heads and we moved to another room to play Halo 5. "

the other guy asked about " But Minecraft ? the demo ? Where was it ? "
" well, in everyone collective imagination. Because they didn't show it to us and were insanely precautious about how they present the tech. "

That's not the same thing at all. The hologram is there.

Salt free with salt is lying. Lying isn't misleading. Wearing heels is misleading. Outright saying you are 5 inches taller than you are is lying

https://youtu.be/xgakdcEzVwg

Watch the vid around the 3 minute mark when he's pinched it to scroll the world. You'll see it change direction then his hand follows where's it going.

Now it could be they just didn't trust it to work right cos it's in development, or it could be milo bullshit again...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I think it's deceptive in the sense that the camera filming the whole thing gives you the impression that's what you'll see/experience for FOV.

At some point they should have shown the POV of the person wearing the glasses. It's still impressive as hell.

ps3ud0

Well, we know for a fact that they can improve to at least what it was in January.
Heres the patent - check yourself

https://www.google.com/patents/US20130250430

The first four entries in the table are for a waveguide comprising transparent sections of refractive index n=1.70. The field of view increases with θbs, however, increasing θbs also biases the field of view to one side of the waveguide normal. In the extreme case, the field of view is totally on one side of the normal and extends practically to normal incidence (−87.8° in the TABLE). With θbs=65°, the field of view is nearly balanced and exhibits a range of 36.1°.

As shown in the subsequent entries of the TABLE, an increase in refractive index increases the field of view range and requires a slightly different θbs to balance the field of view about the waveguide normal. Thus, to achieve a broader field of view, waveguide 32 may be configured so that the display light propagates through a material of refractive index greater than 1.7, arranged between the front and back surfaces. In other words, the transparent section material itself may have a refractive index greater than 1.7.

The last five entries of the TABLE correspond to n=1.85, the refractive index of Schott glass SFL-57, which is close to the refractive-index limit for optical glass. These entries show that the practical range of a balanced field of view is about 47°.
The bold is my emphasis

ps3ud0 8)

Raistlin

It's hard to not consider it as deceptive.

Particularly since there was a ton of press after the pre-release units were made available to people at BUILD or whenever it was shown a little while back. Those units had a significantly larger FOV, and have colored many peoples' expectations for it.

You couple the word of mouth from the original showing with how they demoed it at the E3 press conference, and it's pretty clear MS knew what they were doing.

I mean come on, when Thurrott is calling them out for this (and is obviously really upset by how much worse the consumer version is versus what he tested out previously) ... you know people are gonna be upset.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
absolutely, but it's been talked to death already how big of a lie it was. that camera they developed though might prove to be beneficial for future products like AR/VR.

Josman

I would call it misleading because they showed it at the conference just so that customers expect that faked experience when they buy an Xbone, now people I know are expecting it to be Morpheus's rival when it really doesn't have much to do with their console business.

Just a bad marketing practice

mrklaw

MrArseFace
People are confusing the HoloLens and the specially built camera to show the audience the person interacting with the holograms. It was never to be indicative of the actual experience as they had the HoloLens on display for the press to try.

Then why did the MS people on stage for demos repeatedly say 'this camera will show you exactly what the hololens wearer sees'? They could easily have simulated a narrow FoV on the camera but didn't. That deception is compounded by examples they showed such as enlarging a video window to fill the wall, implying you could watch a movie like that.

The end result is misleading because when seeing solid objects in the real world, seeing the entire object is fundamental to proper immersion. Having a window with edges of objects clipping would break that immersion.

ps3ud0

I'm not arguing with that. I'm saying that the device they showed at Build and E3, is lower than that theoretical max because they have shown a device with better fov. It was tethered.
Im not sure how you are leaping to the notion that somehow it being tethered equals higher FOV. Do you have link confirming that statement at all?

I admit they may not be using waveguides but I cant find anything that contradicts that at this point in time.

ps3ud0 8)

Deadstar

Possibly but I see AR and VR as just the beginning of this new tech. I'm sure the technology will improve either by Microsoft or by someone else copying their idea. As long as these products push the tech forward I'll be happy.

If you watch a demonstration like this and expect it to be completely accurate and representative of the final product I don't think Microsoft is completely to blame.

Remember the kinect reveal?

This kind of thing isn't new unfortunately

which was also microsoft lying about functionality of their device

company says "Here is *thing* and here is how it works"

(This is not actually how it works and we are faking this)

that's on them for being deceptive.

I am fortunate enough to know that they are lying, but if a cousin sees that video and goes and buys the thing, it's not his fault that they embellished on the functionality.

JaggedSac

Im not sure how you are leaping to the notion that somehow it being tethered equals higher FOV. Its a logical fallacy

I admit they may not be using waveguides but I cant find anything that contradicts that at this point in time.

ps3ud0 8)

I'm not sure what you are saying. We know the January device had higher fov. Are you disputing that? If the E3 device small fov was because of the physical limitation of the lenses, the January device would not have had a higher fov.

watership

I'd they'd have demoed it with the correct FOV clearly shown then I would have had no problem with it.

How do you demo a field of view?

even people putting up pictures with the window being 50 percent of your fov don't take in account that the whole thing is inches from your eyes. So it's not like your looking at your monitor, at a 10x10 box, and the fov is only 5 x 5 fov.

Then someone on a 10 inch tablet looks at that image and goes "Lol MS lies".

Dugna

Isn't the FOV pic from an earlier demo and the one at E3 from a later demo, I mean it could actually be improved for once.

I still haven't forgiven them for that Project Natal video. The moment Kudo walked on stage I expected to be deceived. MS can make great consoles but they have a bad history with peripherals.

For those of you who forget the video I'm talking about:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_txF7iETX0

Exactly. I don't believe their tech demos anymore. Kinect a great tech demos, Milo and all that other stuff, and it launched with games that barely worked to the point where they pretty much killed it off now. Im not holding my breath with Hololens.

Synth

Then why did the MS people on stage for demos repeatedly say 'this camera will show you exactly what the hololens wearer sees'? They could easily have simulated a narrow FoV on the camera but didn't.

Poor (probably deliberately poor) choice of words. The camera is showing you what someone wearing the HoloLens sees. However no video camera shows you everything a human eye sees. It's like recording a video of a concert... both you and the camera see the band and some of the crowd... but much of what you see in person isn't represented by your recording, unless the recording is taken from somewhere different from where you're located.

It is deceptive to what the user experience will be. It is not deceptive to how Hololens sees.

perfectly put!

From what I have read on it, all of the stuff they showed works just like they have shown, only with the limited FOV.

So is it deceptive? Yes, but trying to explain the limitations on stage would have taken away the magic 'wow' factor, so that is probably why they didn't bother to explain it.

I don't think they are trying to hide it though...they have fully allowed the press to demo the actual product, and said in interviews that the FOV is not changing. They simply want to control the mass perception of the product, and so they are not mentioning the limitations on stage....

Just my opinion on the matter

fred

If you watch the vid I think the guy is doing what they did on the star wars demo, essentially just going through the motions and not actually controlling it live. This was mentioned in another thread the day after the show.

Yup, you could see quite clearly that it was fake. You would have thought that these people would have practiced enough times to get the timing right.

Unfortunately after the Kinect nonsense it's no surprise that the HoloLens demo was fake. In fact I expected it to be.

Really annoying that Microsoft come up with these things too early, before the technology involved is up to the job. Loads of lag with Kinect and crappy FoV with HoloLens. And it's practically guaranteed that the next big thing that appears for a Microsoft console is also going to be fake because that too won't work the way they're implying it will.

Soi-Fong

I'm not sure what you are saying. We know the January device had higher fov. Are you disputing that? If the E3 device small fov was because of the physical limitation of the lenses, the January device would not have had a higher fov.

You guys are looking at this way too simplistically. FOV is not the end all be all. I explained it before in the other thread.

Optics is constantly about balancing different factors whether with weight, FOV, distortion, etc

You have to give and go.

ps3ud0

All Im saying is that there is a physical limitation and that limit is nearly 50 degrees. I doubt the glass they use currently (in the consumer product they showed off) is of the same quality to hit that limit.

What I dont understand is how you are inferring that tethered equals higher FOV. Just seems a logical fallacy without some form of source or understanding.

ps3ud0 8)

DorkyMohr

Banned
It's only deceptive if they make the decision to never fix the FOV.

Considering we're not going to see a retail version of hololens in the near future, there's plenty of time to fix it.

They're not planning on fixing it.

"I think you're never going to get to full peripheral field of view, but certainly the hardware we have now, you know, the field of view isn't exactly final," Tsunoda said. "But I wouldn't say it's going to be hugely noticeably different either."

Top Bottom