• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was that the greatest troll in the history of the industry? (FFVII)

border

Shuhei Yoshida said that for E3 2014 he wanted to have a trailer where the letters and words slowly fill in like:

"Sony Computer Entertainment Presents:

The.....

.....Last.....

**audience gasps at the return of Last Guardian**

....of Us Remastered"

I think that would have been an even sweeter troll.

UrbanRats

iVsn8DzOIvSKb.png

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe that people see the FFXIV trailer as a troll. I mean, it was obvious literally seconds into that trailer that it was taking cues from FFXI and therefore must have been the new MMO that we knew they had been working on for years.

The only troll with XIV was that the game was dogshit upon release.

Dice//

Banned
I'd rather get these enhanced versions than a remake. So yay!!
An actual HD version (again, read: NOT remake) would be a dream come true. The game is fine as it is, it's just that it could use a graphical update for the legacy the game does have. I'm not terribly confident a remake would capture the same atmosphere.

dramatis

I didnt say GAF was the only place that WANTED it, I said it was the only place EXPECTING it to appear at this show.
Get back to FF14 and get fishing, old man.

I think nobody expected an actual remake up until the moment the logo appeared on stage behind Hashimoto. Not even GAF.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
They got me. I actually didn't think I would feel anything for an FFVII remake but I was legit excited for about 10 seconds there.

Kirlia

Banned
It's certainly up there with the greatest.

I'm not even mad. That was masterfully done.

Honestly, I can't be angry either...although I wasn't expecting the announcement to be a remake, so I don't have any anger to begin with. Just awe that SE actually did that.

MSMrRound

Greatest troll was that teaser website that went up for one week, and kept on blasting The World Ends With You OSTs. Many thought it was a proper sequel. Turned out it was a IOS port. Square Enix are the culprits yet again.

coastel

Don't know why but not once did I think it would be a remake I thought oh I can buy it on ps4 like I did on ps3. Can see the confusion though and yea it was pure evil.

quesalupa

Square needs to go to the Kojima school of trolling. Make people smirk or kinda grumble. Don't make people want to rip your lungs out.

They did an FF8 tech demo for PS2. It wasn't because they were releasing FF8 on PS2. It was because they were doing a tech demo. It's not their fault fans are actually crazy.

FFVIII Tech Demo (PS2) and the FFVII Tech Demo (PS3) are very different beasts. It's not that hard to understand the expectations built from the latter when you consider the circumstances around them.
In other words- yes- in my opinion Square-Enix is mostly to blame for setting fan expectations up. What happened today, all jokes about the reactions aside, was actually pretty gross.

So about those tech demos-

They showed the FFVIII Tech Demo when the game was still brand new and fresh (hell, it hadn't even been released outside of Japan yet).
One of those "Hey, you know how everyone is blown away by our new FFVIII CG? Look what we can do - REAL TIME - on the PS2!" type of deals. In 1999 it was Squaresoft showing off AND using their newest big budget FF as cross-promotion. Look how awesome FFVIII's tech is. Look how powerful PS2 is/will be.

Fast forward to summer 2005. FFXII was on the horizon and was technically very impressive. But they didn't show off the same way with that... or FFX. They could have easily done a 'real time' scene of Yuna dancing on the water doing her 'sending'.
With the FFVII Tech Demo, they were dealing with a beloved game that was already 8 years old (and multiple FFs beyond) at the time, had a very vocal sub-fanbase, and a 'Compilation of FFVII' had already been created. Advent Children was going to be released in a few months. There was a ton of hype about bringing the story and characters of VII back into the spotlight. Square-Enix wanted people to be interested in FFVII & its world again. I can't be the only one that remembers FF fans thinking "wow, imagine FFVII re-imagined with FFX's engine!" from 2001 onward.
Then the tech demo happens and the thirst grows. Then one of the FF Anniversary events happened (2007 maybe? The 20th Anniversary of the series/10th for FFVII) and new CG artwork was designed showing FFVII characters in their classic costumes. The'FFVII Wall' for fan messages was made. Then Crisis Core released and we get another, slightly altered FFVII opening CG with a "to be continued in...", followed by the classic FFVII logo.

Sure, fans have some of the blame to carry, but S-E is still plenty guilty of cockteasing when it comes to FFVII. Kitase, Nomura, Hashimoto, Toriyama, have all been asked about the possibility of a FFVII Remake over many long years, so it's not like S-E is blind to the fan desire for it. Kitase was candid about how daunting the task would be and got brutalized by fans for it.
They know. S-E simply cannot use ignorance on this subject; not when they used that nostalgia to pull in however many millions they pulled in from the Compilation of FFVII project.

The problem isn't that fans want a FFVII Remake or built up hype/hope for one. The problem isn't even that a remake announcement didn't happen or that Square probably doesn't even want to do it. Despite Verendus' claims, I think the majority of us realize it's just not feasible for a big remake with the current climate at S-E.
The problem is the way this thing was presented today. If S-E did it out of spite because they are fucking sick of hearing about a VII remake and sick of constantly telling people "it's not happening" and fans refuse to believe it- ok. It's a low blow, but ok. I expect that kind of bullshit from S-E these days. The point was made abundantly clear today. For Sony to allow it, on their stage, at an event honoring 20 years of their brand- much of it that had foundation built because of VII? I just think it's an unfortunate look on both parties.
This is something that could have been announced in a press release- or even before something like a new XV trailer. Did anyone in their right mind honestly believe a crowd of a few thousand would be excited about a port of a port put on a PS4 disc?

Sony's been doing a phenomenal job of listening to their fans and making exciting things happen (pardon the catch phrase) "for the players". This little act, though... it was a misstep.

TheHall

I wish it was a troll, because in reality it's just Square being completely disconnected to their fanbase

The Lamp

I can't decide upon which scenario is scarier:

SE intentionally realizing what they did, or SE having no clue why this was a bad idea.

I wish it was a troll, because in reality it's just Square being completely disconnected to their fanbase

I think square realizes they have a dimished reputation with the hardcore, and they were happy to piss us off today.

Now as for the rest of their userbase (casuals etc), some probably thought they were unique in thinking a remake would happen (those that actually thought that), and when they saw this was just a port, were like, OK cool, FF7 on PS4, but walk away thinking "Damn, it would be really cool is Square did a FF7 remake on PS4, oh well I wonder if my hot pocket is ready".

My assessment my be a little garish but SE aren't stupid, this was a masterful troll

Nightbird

Here's the rule in regard to Square Enix I learned 2 years ago:

Don't except anything to happen until it's 100% confirmed

I'll never forgive them for TWEWY :(

AmyS

FFVIII Tech Demo (PS2) and the FFVII Tech Demo (PS3) are very different beasts.

So about those tech demos-

They showed the FFVIII Tech Demo when the game was still brand new and fresh (hell, it hadn't even been released outside of Japan yet).
One of those "Hey, you know how everyone is blown away by our new FFVIII CG? Look what we can do - REAL TIME - on the PS2!" type of deals. In 1999 it was Squaresoft showing off AND using their newest big budget FF as cross-promotion. Look how awesome FFVIII's tech is. Look how powerful PS2 is/will be.

Yep, all true.

K2DBI.jpg

Zabant

I can't decide upon which scenario is scarier:

SE intentionally realizing what they did, or SE having no clue why this was a bad idea.

I'm guessing the people who pull the strings were unaware, and the lower downs and the Sony guys (adam boyes) knew what kind of reaction it would get.

I just have to wonder why Sony let it happen.

tcrunch

There a link for whatever this troll was? I didn't watch those game awards last night. Too late.

It wasn't TGA, it was PSX today. One of the ending segments introduced FF7 for PS4, but it ended up being a port of the PC version and not a remake or remaster. They decided to give stage time in the keynote to this because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sappyday

There a link for whatever this troll was? I didn't watch those game awards last night. Too late.

It was during the PSX like an hour ago.

Summary: A Square guy came on stage (around the end of the event mind you) and starts talking about their long history with PS that started out with FFVII. Then he straight up says FFVII is gonna come to PS4. People get excited, they roll a trailer, but it still old footage. Some of us knew right then and there that it was a just a fucking port but a lot probably still thought just maybe they were gonna transition into PS4 graphics. The guy leaves the stage with a smirk on his face.

Cirdan

Neo Member
It was pretty good.
I just thought during the scenes that they finally have hit so low they have to pull the FF7 remake card.
Then the footage of the new game never came.

or this is all a ruse and during E3 2016 Hashimoto will walk on stage, bow, apologize for misleading everyone a while ago about 'something', and "so I brought this...."

BAM! FFVII:Remake trailer. 20 Year Anniversary. Release 7/07/2017. Please be excited. Verendus sits in a dark room nodding, knowing that after the PSX everyone truly did forget he said it was happening. Prophecy complete, he returns to self-exile.

;)

Dr. Buni

The trolling was epic, but I am not bothered by FF VII not getting a remake, specially after what they have showed of FF XV.

I am more interested in a FF VI remake a la Bravely Default, but I am not expecting it to happen.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I stopped caring about Square-Enix years ago. The company is nothing but an empty husk now. I wasn't shocked, saddened, or anything. Its par for the course for them.

Croyles

Get back to FF14 and get fishing, old man.

I think nobody expected an actual remake up until the moment the logo appeared on stage behind Hashimoto. Not even GAF.

Your reply kind of freaked me out, cause I can't remember who you are in the game! (im sorry! also please tell me :3)

You should have seen the PSX thread, people really were expecting it.

Top Bottom