• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the past better than the present? Or not?

Past better? Or present better?

• Past better

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • Present better

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The early late 1990s to early 2000s I would say were better than today in many ways. You had phones and tech, but it wasn't so invasive that you ignored social lives and interacting with your local community. The future looked bright, people were trying to do better, and racial relations weren't as regressive as they are today. Smart Phones and Social Media sites like Twitter/Reddit have had a near net negative for our society, IMO.

Krathoon

I miss the humor of the 90s. It was so brash.

It is like the opposite of humor now. I am amazed that Southpark is still on.

The creators of it are amazed that they have not been canceled.

Yes, the 2010s and 2020s are awful. Narcissistic influencer culture, godawful music, gaming becoming too cinematic and soulless, constant capeshit movies with awful dialogue, social media and smartphones addiction, divisive culture war politics, etc.

The 80s - 2000s will forever remain the golden era of history.

Kenpachii

Now is better.

I hated the shit internet, terrible visuals on games, endless problems to get games going on pc, having to rip my own cd's to create a own steam basically because online was so niche.

Hated to be forced to play outside with other kids, always shit happening i didn't like. Hated school, hated learning.

Now, got all tech i possibly want, live is chill and easy and i can do whatever the fuck i want.

The past was great on paper and some segments of it was fun, but in general it sucked in comparison to now.

However i do have all social media and media in general blocked out of my life tho.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Definitely the present . Like dude , every information , live events are now under your fingertip . Back then in 2000 I couldn't even tell the real-time score from NBA Finals between Lakers vs Pacers . Now I can live stream the entire matches from anywhere on Planet Earth .

It's freaking mindblowing and people are taking things for granted by consuming garbage from social media .

Last edited:

Rickyiez

The early late 1990s to early 2000s I would say were better than today in many ways. You had phones and tech, but it wasn't so invasive that you ignored social lives and interacting with your local community. The future looked bright, people were trying to do better, and racial relations weren't as regressive as they are today. Smart Phones and Social Media sites like Twitter/Reddit have had a near net negative for our society, IMO.
Hard disagree . The tech back then in early 2000s was hardly useful outside of calling or texting someone . Nokia 3310 was released in Sept 2000 Fyi

I would say the benefit from the internet significantly outweighs the harm that it brought to society , especially for those who know how to consume it wisely .

Thanks to 4G/5G now I can do these on my phone from anywhere with decent Internet coverage

- listen to the entire music library available to mankind
- live stream NBA Finals or the President inauguration (for better or worse)
- live call with my sister after her childbirth
- caught up with the latest manga or read the entire library
- order transportation for my mum when she reached the airport
- relied on Waze/Google Map to drive around unfamiliar neighborhood
- use Google Map to walk/travel around Tokyo , while using live text translate/interpreter mode for communications and recognizing words
- broke my monitor and need to go out soon , where do I check for reviews ? Well Youtube of course , LTT , Monitor Unboxed , TechTester , you name it

Like holy shit , the more I think about it , the more I can list down the pros and gains .

dave_d

Got go with present. I mean any time before 1940 you could drop because no penicillin.(And that took out rich people too like the president's teenage son.) Of course all the wars in the past anybody could get sucked into. Admittedly I'm considering anything from the 70s on to be "present" and yes it's better now. (So saying the 90s are better is still to me saying the present is better.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom