• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the Vita even worth buying?

GAMETA

Banned
I just saw an used Vita for sale (in pretty good shape) and really thought of giving it a go, seems like a beautiful piece of hardware

But then I made some quick research on its best games and all, and let's be real, what's the point of owning this? There's nothing there.

You can get an old ass DS and you'll see hundreds of fun and different games that were exclusive to the platform. The 3DS has less but still has these exclusive portable experiences too... what does the Vita have? It's just a portable crappier PS3? What was the point?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I just saw an used Vita for sale (in pretty good shape) and really thought of giving it a go, seems like a beautiful piece of hardware

But then I made some quick research on its best games and all, and let's be real, what's the point of owning this? There's nothing there.

You can get an old ass DS and you'll see hundreds of fun and different games that were exclusive to the platform. The 3DS has less but still has these exclusive portable experiences too... what does the Vita have? It's just a portable crappier PS3? What was the point?
Now that remote play works on Android and IOS? No. 3 years ago? Yes. Vita was a beautiful handheld but every man and his dog knows the software support was shameful. Still a small handful of great games (Uncharted, Grav Rush, Tearaway and if no PS3; Ratchet, Sly and Jak trilogys).

Agent X

There are plenty of excellent games for the system. Many are exclusive, and many others are not. Instead of focusing so much on the exclusivity, decide for yourself whether you find games appealing, and want to play them on a well-designed portable machine.

Stitch

Gold Member
yeah people where just usually talking about homebrew, emulators and that stuff. always seemed like most people didn't even care about the software lol

Keihart

No idea what's still available on the store, but at this point just hack it i guess. There are a lot PSP and PS1 games beside the Vita ones. Library it's huge.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It was worth buying like 8-9 years ago when it was the only dedicated handheld with a screen that wasn't trash.

They tacked on some gimmicks that I thought were terrible like that touch sensitive backplate and the memory cards were horribly overpriced.

But if you wanted to play Metal Gear Solid HD collection or Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the go, there wasn't really any other way to do it.

It kinda reminded me of the Wii U in that the first 6-12 months was as good as the software support was ever really going to get with a few exclusives down the line that were fairly good.

Kokoloko85

I got my originally for some vita games like Persona 4 golden, alot of older games and ports + playing PS4 games

And now its my portable emulation machine. Love it

Chukhopops

If you don’t intend to jailbreak it, it seems a bit pointless indeed to buy one now. If you do, it’s a nice emulator machine depending on how much you need to pay for it.

Stuart360

I was never into handhelds. Only owned a Gameboy Advance, for about 3 months.
Vita was a sexy piece of kit though, and i was tempted a few times over the years.

Yes, totally worth it.
Most of the good 1st party gems were on PS+.
Excellent handheld hardware.
Vita means life💙

At the moment get a Switch instead.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Do it!!!

Is a awesome console portable, and get Gravity rush and P4 Golden.

What a strange, strange comment. The back library of PSP, PS1 games alone is worth the price. And then you add some nice exclusives for the vita, and it's definitely worth it.

Gravity rush, Tearaway.

Made owning the system totally worth it. I played my top two games of all time on it. (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 10)

PhaseJump

Banned
Yes, near the end of it.

I bought it at launch and I loved it. Didn't take long to realize it wasn't any better than, or an upgrade to the PSP as it should have been at launch. Some of the games were great, but the expectation of having a game library was there. It was missing for early adopters, and they just ghosted everybody who bought one and wanted more good news about it.

Sony lost the games in retail stores, forcing reliance on proprietary memory cards that cost a fortune up front at a time when memory cards, even their own cards from PSP were cheap by comparison. They never gave Vita PS1 classic support like the PSP when it was new, most PSP games weren't on the PSN to download. They trickled games out slowly, sometimes in Europe or North America but not in both, sometimes released, sold and pulled off the store to download for days until they fix or update something on the network.

You needed a PS3 and needed Sony's Media Go crap PC software to see and download games that weren't showing up on the Vita's own PSN store.

Think about that. You needed to login and use the stores on a PC, a console, and the handheld itself to get to see everything and push your downloads.

They never supported it right. Gave it a high price and half assed the whole thing. The best thing they did since back then was the old web store, that they are now killing off.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Depends if you like obscure Japanese games (and indies) or not. It also has a nice variety of bigger games but the former are the bread and butter of the console. I bought mine in 2014 (or 2013 i don't remember) and i still play on it.

It's also the best way to play PS1 games (other than having a CRT tv). It's size and OLED screen almost makes them look like remasters.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
Bought it, it went completely under utilised and is in a press. Its beautiful, amazing screen, great dpad, top level tech but I just dont reach for it. Jailbreaking it seems like such a pain in the ass, but that may justify it, if you want to go through the effort.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm seriously not trying to be mean, but if you gave it to me for free I likely wouldn't use it. (not a lot anyway)

Not much exist on it that I want tbh. I LOVE Lumines, but shit i own that game on several systems, PSP, PS3, PS4 lol I work from home, college from home... I just don't do portables like that anymore and PS Vita offered even less features then PSP for me to give a fuck about ie, where the fuck is that TV Out PSP had? It even had a port that was never used that clearly was going to be for it, so I don't know what they were thinking with PS Vita. I thought about getting one used for years, but I just don't see enough to really, REALLY have me buy it for.

I'd rather just call that shit a day and buy PSTV. One day I....might get one, but I just don't see that happening any time soon, unless someone shows me some JRPG hidden gem that only exist on Vita or something.

dcx4610

It's a shame because it was powerful, had a beautiful screen, pretty comfortable and had some decent games. It was just bad timing with smart phones getting big. It just didn't feel like it needed to exist. I liked the idea that you could stream PS4 games to it but it didn't work all that well and the missing buttons hurt that experience.

I think it could have been a good answer to the Nintendo Wii U and stolen the Switch's gimmick if they had worked harder on integrating the two device and selling it as a companion device. If they could have somehow had pop up dual analog sticks and dual triggers and easily switch from PS4 to the Vita like the Switch does, it could have been pretty great and a must have device.

reinking

Gold Member
Today? No. When it launched? Hell yes. The Vita was a fantastic handheld but I get as good if not better gaming from emulators on my phone now.

theclaw135

Banned
Shunning tentpole franchises for starters. Vita losing Monster Hunter, GTA, and even Sony's own Gran Turismo was crazy.

The memory cards nailed the coffin. 32 GB didn't cut it. The 64 GB cards were horrendously priced imports.

Last edited:

amc

I'm playing it every morning. Bit of Bastion with my coffee. Yeah, I'm a bit behind but I'm rocking an iPad Pro 12.9" a Switch, a New 3DS XL and an S20 Ultra that plays almost everything spot on with a Razer Kishi.

My Vita fits right in and is enjoyed along with all the more modern shit. PS1 emulation is killer.

Vita is fucking boss...still.

Last edited:

Joyful

persona 4 golden was worth it yeah.

vita is probably the most expensive/luxurious feeling handheld ive used. (the first model, didnt try the revisions})
it makes Nintendo handhelds feel like cheap kids crap made for bottom dollar

the ui could have been better though

a modded playstation tv might be a better option (*if you can find one)

Last edited:

decisions

Vita was an amazing system. I think for hardcore gamers there was a ton of great games on it. It just didn't have much software with casual appeal and Sony stupidly abandoned it very early in its life cycle and ceded the entire portable market to Nintendo because they wrongly guessed that non-phone portable gaming was dead.

It's amazing how long there has been support for it - considering its overall low sales this must mean that the system must have an extremely high attach rate.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
200w.webp

At the time the screen was huge and oled of course is amazing for a handheld even now. Games, hmm, they had a good golf game on there. Different standards at the time tho.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not sur how good the game quality was on VIta, but going strictly on the aesthetics and screen and functionality, it looked worth it right off the bat.

I don't do portable gaming on handhelds or cell phone, but if someone forced me to play mobile, it would be either a Switch or PSP or Vita. I could never get into playing a Gameboy 30 years ago or a DS. I tried Gameboy way back borrowing it. When you got Genesis, SNES and my brother had a PC, I think I played Castlevania on Gameboy for 10 minutes and never turned it back on.

Last edited:

DinoD

It was a risky purchase even back in 2012. Still. The best handheld ever. I will jb mine soon. What benefits would that bring?

BigBooper

It was a fantastic system with a pitiful game lineup. Gravity Rush, Killzone, Persona 4, were great. Some indie games were great on it too. I think I played Terraria more than any game on it. It just didn't have nearly enough games.

Aion002

I still play mine from time to time. I enjoyed many games on it and I am still enjoying some great games like Soul Sacrifice, Puyo Puyo x Tetris and Freedom Wars, that are still able to entertain me.

I also have many Ps1 and PSP games on it, like: Resident Evil 2, Dino Crisis 2, FF Dissidia and Parasite Eve.

In my opinion it is a great device!

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I had a Vita back when PS Plus was relatively new and every month I'd get a free Vita game or 2.
I genuinely think it was a damn fine console. A 2nd analogue stick would have been a superb addition for the likes of Killzone.

I ended up giving mine to a friend to help him get through his 12 hour night shift security guard work.

Esca

Got one for Christmas the year it came out, still own it and love it. It feels good in your hands and quality is too notch.

I haven't used mine in awhile but have been thinking of pulling it back out.
Thinking of hacking mine because they are closing the store

Top Bottom