• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington AG Bob Ferguson announces Mutli-State lawsuit to protect Dreamers

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article171476642.html

Washington state officials’ threats to sue over the federal government’s plans to end protections for young immigrants will soon harden into action.

State Attorney General Bob Ferguson intends to announce a multistate lawsuit Wednesday involving the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which shields immigrants who were brought into the country illegally as children from deportation.

Ferguson’s office provided no details about the state’s forthcoming legal action in a news release sent at 4 a.m. Wednesday. A press conference with Ferguson and Washington Gov. Inslee was scheduled at 10:30 a.m. in Seattle to announce specifics of the lawsuit

press conference to speak on details of multi state lawsuit

What would their legal argument be?

That will be disclosed at the press conference I'm guessing?

At a different press conference Tuesday, Ferguson wouldn’t discuss which legal strategies his office was considering. But he said members of his staff worked throughout the Labor Day weekend to prepare a response to Trump’s reported plans to rescind the DACA program.

Oppo

What would their legal argument be?

short answer is - they're suing, so arguments are yet to be heard in specificity

At a different press conference Tuesday, Ferguson wouldn't discuss which legal strategies his office was considering. But he said members of his staff worked throughout the Labor Day weekend to prepare a response to Trump's reported plans to rescind the DACA program.

It's definitely going to be an uphill battle since they are not citizens, it's hard to make a legal argument to protect them. The change has to come from Congress to protect them. That's going to be extremely difficult.

It's not about winning.

It's about showing that someone cares.

I think that's a good point, just to keep this in the public eye. AG Ferguson has name cred after the initial travel ban stop.

Although I don't think he would do this just for publicity. I mean you have to believe you can win on the merits

Rayis

Re-instating an executive order that subverts federal immigration enforcement is quite the stretch but godspeed if they manage something.

It's definitely going to be an uphill battle since they are not citizens, it's hard to make a legal argument to protect them. The change has to come from Congress to protect them. That's going to be extremely difficult.

One of the arguments that AG used for the travel ban was that the travel ban would hurt Washington employers. Might be different circumstances

rambis

Banned
This is a tough one. As far as I can tell DACA isn't explicitly illegal as it technically only shifts the priority of the task forces for deportation. So the admin's reasoning is false but I don't know that they need good reasoning to rescind an executive order.

I imagine they know they have very little to no chance of winning but simply because the right thing to do is impossible doesn't mean we shouldn't try for it.

They haven't released the official legal documents to the media yet, but it sounds like the AG feels like he has valid claims to move forward

Top Bottom