• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 launch massively down from WD1 in UK.

Vex_

Banned
Damn. Nlw i gltta xome up with a mixture of bomba and watchdoga too???!

Hmmmm..... BombaDogs2?

One of the top suggestions when you Google wd2 is" watch dogs 2 white character". I have a feeling people are a lot more prejudiced than you think. I don't think that is the reason for the dismal sales though. I chalk it up to bad timing and lack of marketing.

SAN ANDREAS.

Could be the best game ever but seeing stuff like this

hKBmDI7.jpg

makes me want to avoid everything about it. Definition of trying too hard

It's a good game all around. Have you not been listening to reviews? GAF impressions?

A game needs to be more than "good" to be attractive in a crowded market. Most games that come out are "good". Quality of gameplay and story is just one aspect of many.

Is there any correlation anymore between first week UK sales and worldwide sales? I mean Mafia 3 sold extremely poorly in the UK but two weeks later 2K games said it shipped 4.5m copies of the game worldwide. Not sold to consumers, shipped to retailers, so we still don't really know how well its done but it was at #2 on NPD for USA October.

AHA-Lambda

That's quite the drop.

This could be similar to what the movie industry has been going through this summer. They pushed sequels for movies that either weren't well received by audiences (e.g. TMNT2, Snow White & Huntsman2), looked too similar to previous movies (e.g. Star Trek, X-Men) or just tried to bank on name-recognition/nostalgia (e.g. ID4, Alice)

I think that even the AAA game audience is getting tired of playing the same games every year. And there's so many free alternatives to spend time on that less and less gamers are willing to spend $60 on a game that just looks like "more of the same". I also think that an increasing amount of people are no longer rushing out to the cinema/buying a game day1, but instead waiting for movies like Neighbors 2 to hit Netflix or games like Watchdogs 2 to drop to $20.

-source

Actually this seems like a pretty fair comparison

Is there any correlation anymore between first week UK sales and worldwide sales? I mean Mafia 3 sold extremely poorly in the UK but two weeks later 2K games said it shipped 4.5m copies of the game worldwide. Not sold to consumers, shipped to retailers, so we still don't really know how well its done but it was at #2 on NPD for USA October.

?

It debuted to a series best in the UK

A game needs to be more than "good" to be attractive in a crowded market. Most games that come out are "good". Quality of gameplay and story is just one aspect of many.
I'd argue it's a great game. It's a game worth playing, but so is Dishonored 2 and Mafia III and TF2.

dealer-

Mafia 3 didn't sell poorly in the UK, it was up 60% on Mafia 2 with 119k for the week.

Pretty much. It was too try-hard. I don't care for that.

The game is definitely a step up from the first one. Driving is still shit though. The characters....argh. I agree with you. I've never felt so old playing a game. Haha.

QaaQer

Maybe what critics and gaf find 'better', the majority doesn't. TF might just be too fast for the masses. WD2's tone and style might not appeal as much as WD1's or Mafia III. I really think catering to the tastes of critics and super enthusiasts is a good way to hurt sales for most games.

Demoskinos

Absolute shame. Watch Dogs 2 is SO good. Great cast of characters and the missions have been pretty fun as well. I just wish they would fix the multiplayer soon. :(

Dysun

This isn't too surprising for me. The first one has a huge negative stigma of being a giant disappoint and there's been very little hype about the sequel. It being a marked improvement isn't enough anymore when dealing with a toxic first impression

TalonJH

Another factor is that too many games release in the fall.

I think it's this and the reception of WD1.

That character it basically there for comic relief. Most of your interactions with him are you thinking "what's wrong with you."

Edit:I can definitely understand not liking his aesthetic.

The game is definitely a step up from the first one. Driving is still shit though. The characters....argh. I agree with you. I've never felt so old playing a game. Haha.

If Giantbomb, a staff of grown ass white dudes (relax, I like them) can like the characters and style you can to.
I expected something like that. Doesn't make it much better though
It's to counter the super serious depressing tone of the first game.

Maybe what critics and gaf find 'better', the majority doesn't. TF might just be too fast for the masses. WD2's tone and style might not appeal as much as WD1's or Mafia III. I really think catering to the tastes of critics and super enthusiasts is a good way to hurt sales for most games.

Or maybe those games suffer from fatigue. Watch Dogs,TF2 and Mafia aren't exactly in the ballpark of "enthusiasts" for the likes of Gravity Rush and TLG type titles that cater explicitly to the categories you have mentioned,

I bought the first game day 1 and hated it, so never even bothered reading/watching anything about the sequel, same with FF15/TF2 maybe others just ignore titles once they are burned too.

I actually never buy any sequels to games that I didn't like, even if the game is well received, Final Fantasy was the exception until XIII-2 then I finally admitted they couldn't create what I wanted anymore.

If Giantbomb, a staff of grown ass white dudes (relax, I like them) can like the characters and style you can to.
What's that supposed to mean?

People like different things. In a world with 100 new games every month I don't have to force myself to like something.

Or maybe those games suffer from fatigue. Watch Dogs,TF2 and Mafia aren't exactly in the ballpark of "enthusiasts" for the likes of Gravity Rush and TLG type titles that cater explicitly to the categories you have mentioned,

Enthusiasts can only keep niche games alive. They are not the majority of game buyers.

That's cool. I'm glad they enjoyed it. Personally, I'm just not feeling it when it comes to the characters. I like a lot of the other stuff in the game though. The stealth/hacking mechanics I enjoy quiet a bit.

Hobbes211

After the disappointment that was WD1, especially on PC (which Ubisoft never addressed), they're lucky anyone bought this game. I might buy it second hand, or maybe on a significant discount.

Edit: Not to mention all of the stupid LOL HAXZORS epic le memes in WD2.

tolkir

Same happened to me with the Suicide Squad Joker.

32d751f11bdea416831793086c1b04d6.jpg

They want to do him so edgy that he looks childish.

Steep is going to sell about zero copies.

For Honor is in the style of games people actually buy today. I don't know if that's sufficient to sell at UK retail these days. Do we know how Rainbow Six did there?

Ghost Recon is sort of in between Watch Dogs and For Honor. It's a traditional open world title, but it also offers you four player co-op.

Yep I expect Steep to be a MAJOR bomb for them. I think Wildlands is going to be a major hit, at least in the US market. I think it will be a Division type scenario there (though not quite as big)

For Honor is a total wild card for me. No idea how that is going to perform

Titanfall 1 was a great game it just didn't have enough content. Does a game have to be perfect on first try now to be successful?
Considering the phenomenal amount of hype the press whipped up about the original Titanfall? Yes, absolutely. It's probably second only to No Man's Sky in the amount of hype generated for it prior to release this generation, it had to be utterly perfect to live up to its billing. It launched with nowhere near the amount of maps required, which has subsequently hurt the initial Titanfall 2 sales.

Yep I expect Steep to be a MAJOR bomb for them. I think Wildlands is going to be a major hit, at least in the US market. I think it will be a Division type scenario there (though not quite as big)

For Honor is a total wild card for me. No idea how that is going to perform

I don't know about Wildlands. I have no faith in Red Storm these days. Especially the last couple of videos Ubi released. It looks clunky to me. We will see.

I have said it before, but i feel the need to keep beating this drum;

I really hope the lesson publishers learn from all of this is to space games out hrougout the year

In the last 3 weeks we've had BF1, TF2, CoD:IW, WD2, Mafia3 to name a few, and more Like FF:XV on the way.

All games retailing with a £55 (or more) RRP and asking for a further £25-£35 for a season pass or DLC.

We all know AAA gaming is expensive and that this is just the way that these games are financed now, but the market can only bear so much within a period of time. What we are seeing now is a result of it just not being sustainable. Again — we all understand why the holiday period is important, but so many titles asking for that level of financial commitment
never mind time commitment
back to back can only ever result in people buying less games overall.

Thats before you even get into other thing like Brexit and people being trained to wait until after release for patches.

Absolute shame. Watch Dogs 2 is SO good. Great cast of characters and the missions have been pretty fun as well. I just wish they would fix the multiplayer soon. :(

whats your age? i wonder if theres a strong correlation of younger people liking the characters. im older and cant stand the selfie culture

Elios83

The original Watch Dogs sold a lot because of the thirst of next gen games when it was released and the pre-release hype/lies that Ubisoft created before they downgraded everything.
I can only talk about my personal experience but I played Watch Dogs and I have decided to not buy the sequel simply because I find the concept behind the game to be uninteresting in the long run, the fact that you can hack things becomes quickly boring, at the same time the game has not a strong enough story/characters/universe to make up for it. So even if the sequel has improved upon the original, it's the main concept behind it that doesn't attract me.
So far this gen Ubisoft still hasn't created a game that can replace Assassin's Creed, at least for my tastes and I'm actually worried about their comment about not focusing so much on story for future games including the next AC.... :/
With this being said though, with so many titles having disappointing debuts in the UK it's not clear what is happening here, are these games not good enough and the market is bored with them? Is the retail market simply shrinking considerably and we're not seeing the pick up in digital sales? (although in this particular case no digital sales are going to make up for the collapse in sales compared to the original).
Is the UK market specifically down in videogame sales for reasons in their economy or whatever?
I don't think we have a clear answer on that yet.

I don't know about Wildlands. I have no faith in Red Storm these days. Especially the last couple of videos Ubi released. It looks clunky to me. We will see.
I think Ubisoft Paris is technically the "lead" developer of the game with Red Storm just assisting. Ghost Recon has been Ubisoft Paris' baby since GRAW 1 I think.

So they're aware that they suck and yet they do nothing about it.

He's not a stupid character. He's really harmless. His friendship with Marcus is adorable and he has genuine moments. I can't really convince you if you haven't played the game but I don't write off a character if they look bland or annoying just based on marketing.

BJ Blazkowicz looked to be the most generic middle-age white protagonist in Wolfenstein and we ended up being wrong about him.

I think that even the AAA game audience is getting tired of playing the same games every year. And there's so many free alternatives to spend time on that less and less gamers are willing to spend $60 on a game that just looks like "more of the same". I also think that an increasing amount of people are no longer rushing out to the cinema/buying a game day1, but instead waiting for movies like Neighbors 2 to hit Netflix or games like Watchdogs 2 to drop to $20...

yeah, i'd say there're a number of movie/games that now fall into this category: fun, but not 'must have immediately' fun? combine that with the guaranteed price-reduction (which ubi especially is always good for :) ), & it explains a few things...

FStop7

Banned
WD2 is a 2016 take on the 1995 movie "Hackers." And it does a good job of that. It's a much better game than the dreary edgelord-fest that was WD1.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man, so many people in this thread alone passing on this just because of WD1... I can understand it, I never want to play an AC game after 3 either, but WD2 is such an incredible game that it saddens me to see the collective shrug. Go over to the OT, read some impressions, maybe consider it when it gets cheaper, but don't sleep on it. I'm nearing the end of the main story and I'm having even more fun now that my toolset's expanded...After the last few sessions I've been on a high with this game.

Doesn't really matter much at launch. Quality isn't a major factor on early numbers, hype and marketing are. I expect a very very nice launch in NA.

It sold more than 10 copies...

It sold great. Over 100k launch in UK and over 500k in its first NPD

hollomat

Banned
Pretty disappointing that mafia 3 seems to be outselling this by quite a bit. Watch Dogs 2 is actually fun and enjoyable while Mafia 3 takes all the worst aspects of open world games and leaves out the best parts.

QaaQer

I'm talking about AAA gaming, and attempts to make critics and heavy users happy. Maybe regular 1 or 2 games-per-year users prefere slower gunplay/movement and dour revenge stories over fast 3dimensional movement and hip, light teen protags. I remember Tribes Ascend, which was an amazing 3d ballet of emergent violence at light speed. It failed.

Considering the phenomenal amount of hype the press whipped up about the original Titanfall? Yes, absolutely. It's probably second only to No Man's Sky in the amount of hype generated for it prior to release this generation, it had to be utterly perfect to live up to its billing. It launched with nowhere near the amount of maps required, which has subsequently hurt the initial Titanfall 2 sales.

It's probably better to under promise and over deliver for new ip. No Man's Sky is forever tainted now and Titanfall, unfortunately, had the whole of xboxs hype and hopes on its shoulders.

The original Watch Dogs released in late May of 2014, when there was basically nothing else coming out, and its tail was probably helped a lot by the fact that 2014 was a weak year in general. Watch Dogs 2, on the other hand, released in one of the busier Q4s in recent memory, with three AAA shooters, a Pokemon, and a Final Fantasy releasing within a month of it, among other things.

There are a bunch of other factors too, of course- the original not being seen favorably in hindsight, people generally getting tired of the Ubisoft style of open world games after ten of them releasing within eight years, the marketing of this entry being kind of dumb- but I think most of these wouldn't have mattered as much if the game launched in late spring/summer rather than the holidays.

Top Bottom