• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 launch massively down from WD1 in UK.

wapplew

Let's see.. Multiplayer game as a service, multiplayer game as a service.. oh, and look, yet another multiplayer game as a service. Pretty much sums up this gen for me.

So, what will Ubisoft do now? Of course they have plans.

Ubisoft's CEO: The Division represents Ubisoft's future, talks future company plans
Ubisoft shifting game lineup to service games, recurring revenue, online/MP support
Ubisoft wants "less and less storytelling" in their games

Game as a service is our future, folks.

A phase of the bubble, just like MMO rush, moba rush, and hero shooter rush.
Only few game as service will success, the rest will fail and publishers will come around after that.

RodzTF

Mafia III may have something to do with it. Burning people's day one buying decisions.

After playing a few hours I decided to sell it. Paying £40 on release has put me off buying most games day one or before review.

Surely I'm not the only one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A phase of the bubble, just like MMO rush, moba rush, and hero shooter rush.
Only few game as service will success, the rest will fail and publishers will come around after that.
To make what? They're going here because everything else is dying.

There was a thread just a few weeks ago arguing the opposite after the success of Battlefield 1 and Mafia 3. I really don't think that will be the takeaway from WD2's poor performance.

Battlefield 1 doesn't have a black protagonist. It has a black guy on the box.

Carlius

Banned
Mafia III may have something to do with it. Burning people's day one buying decisions.

After playing a few hours I decided to sell it. Paying £40 on release has put me off buying most games day one or before review.

Surely I'm not the only one.

yo are not you are in the minority unfortunately.

zkorejo

WD1 sold so well because it showed potential to be something completely different than the usual open-world games and it was the hacking stuff etc. The game looked amazing in the previews and I assumed the story was going to be awesome.. and it failed to deliver. The USP of "hacking things" got stale pretty fast IMO.

Now.. why would people buy the second installment which is basically all of the same with a few added tools and a new character?

The reason why Assassins Creed 2 was a huge success is because even though AC1 had problems with its repetitive mission structure and dull main character, it had an amazing storytelling, introducing the player with two different worlds, both of which had tons of potential to explore upon much further into this universe and AC2 did just that.

AC2 had 3 beautiful cities, an amazing storyline with colorful characters (that actually had a purpose), refined the gameplay aspects, improved combat and parkour tremendously and completely changing the mission structure to be more interesting like GTA storymissions.They knew what the 1st game lacked and delivered a near-perfect second installment. WD2 is not that, its the same thing in a new packaging with some new toys added in, featuring a subpar plot in a new city.

I just had to get it off my chest. AC2 was very a special game.. and I dont like how people compare and expect WD2 to do the same for this franchise when the first game had no potential to grow to begin with.

TLDR; It's not AC2 to AC1 because WD didn't have half the potential/depth that AC1 had.

WD1 sold so well because it showed potential to be something completely different than the usual open-world games and it was the hacking stuff etc. The game looked amazing in the previews and I assumed the story was going to be awesome.. and it failed to deliver. The USP of "hacking things" got stale pretty fast IMO.

Now.. why would people buy the second installment which is basically all of the same with a few added tools and a new character?

The reason why Assassins Creed 2 was a huge success is because even though AC1 had problems with its repetitive mission structure and dull main character, it had an amazing storytelling, introducing the player with two different worlds, both of which had tons of potential to explore upon much further into this universe and AC2 did just that.

AC2 had 3 beautiful cities, an amazing storyline with colorful characters (that actually had a purpose), refined the gameplay aspects, improved combat and parkour tremendously and completely changing the mission structure to be more interesting like GTA storymissions.They knew what the 1st game lacked and delivered a near-perfect second installment. WD2 is not that, its the same thing in a new packaging with some new toys added in, featuring a subpar plot in a new city.

I just had to get it off my chest. AC2 was very a special game.. and I dont like how people compare and expect WD2 to do the same for this franchise when the first game had no potential to grow to begin with.

TLDR; It's not AC2 to AC1 because WD didn't have half the potential/depth that AC1 had.

Have you played Watch Dogs 2?

Ushay

I'll be honest, I bought the first and felt really let down by it, hence not buying this one immediately.

But after hearing mostly positive impressions here and on review sites, I think I will bite later on the year.

Horizon will probably be fine but I'm just gonna go ahead and remind you that hindsight is 20/20 and that there's no guarantee that we won't be having similar conversations about Horizon a year from now.
Except the 1886 criticism wasn't hindsight. I, and others, were saying the exact same thing before the game was released.

It's possible that like a well done movie trailers for bad movies, we've seen the only good parts of Horizon in the releases so far, and the actual gameplay is mostly boring puzzles and wandering around, but that seems highly unlikely.

Btw, I am usually the pessimistic one. My excitement for Horizons is against my normal state. For example, I have been critical of the highly anticipated Mass Effect Andromeda. That's mostly due to a lack of information, but what I have seen and heard is potentially troubling.

AHA-Lambda

To make what? They're going here because everything else is dying.

Who knows? Smaller mid budget titles? =/

But I agree with the sentiment in part. These larger focused online titles tend to take up so much of the own oxygen in their spaces that few titles can really stand out aside from the titans of said genre.

See:
CoD & BF in AAA MP FPS
DOTA & LoL in MOBA
WoW in MMO
Hearthstone & Magic in CCG
The mess that is the lottery of success on F2P games on mobile

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Who knows? Smaller mid budget titles? =/

But I agree with the sentiment in part. These larger focused online titles tend to take up so much of the own oxygen in their spaces that few titles can really stand out aside from the titans of said genre.

See:
CoD & BF in AAA MP FPS
DOTA & LoL in MOBA
WoW in MMO
Hearthstone & Magic in CCG
The mess that is the lottery of success on F2P games on mobile

I'm expecting us to just get progressively less games the same way the title count has been declining thus far.

Then again, if it's actually more localized to the UK, it's not nearly as much of an issue. You might question making more Doom or Overwatch if the UK was indicative of the whole market, but certainly not with global results.

BKK

Well yes but the U.K. doesn't seem to be improving much despite that.

November 2015 basically had two games as well so we will see how that comparison goes.

US data also includes (some) digital, so I'm not sure that we can say US retail is doing any better or worse than the UK with the data that we get.

NPD tracks game sales at U.S. retailers and certain digital stores (Xbox Store, PlayStation Store, and Steam), but it only gets digital data from participating retailers. So this data is only a snapshot of a wider industry, but it’s one that can provide understanding the business as a whole.

Console software October 2016: $505.7 million (up 31 percent YOY) October 2015: $384.8 million
PC software October 2016: $33.8 million (up 172 percent YOY) October 2015: $12.4 million

wapplew

I'm expecting us to just get progressively less games the same way the title count has been declining thus far.

Sure, we will get a few super giant games as service that take 90% of the profit.
Then maybe people get tired of playing same game over and over and start looking for new experience. Maybe smaller cheaper arcady titles.

Otheradam

Well to be honest, I only bought the first one because there wasn't much to play on PS4 when it came out. I had a good time with it, but 2 is not a priority at all this holiday.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sure, we will get a few super giant games as service that take 90% of the profit.
Them maybe people get tired of playing same game over and over and start looking for new experience. Maybe smaller cheaper arcady titles.

Those have actually been doing quite well as well, yes. We even have things like Dead by Daylight at nearly 1.3 million on Steam, and I'm not sure how many people on the forum have even heard of the game.

Sojgat

It's like a Naughty Dog thread.

Interfectum

Those have actually been doing quite well as well, yes. We even have things like Dead by Daylight at nearly 1.3 million on Steam, and I'm not sure how many people on the forum have even heard of the game.

I started playing that game a few weeks ago on Steam after seeing how huge it was, decided to check the OT on GAF... lol.

It definitely feels like a lot of people here who claim to follow the gaming industry ignore huge chunks that aren't AAA console related.

Personally speaking, since the supermarkets stopped selling games for £29.99 I don't buy anywhere near as many games at launch.

Watchdogs 2 and Titanfall 2 were the sort of games I would have taken a chance on at that price at launch, but for me that extra tenner I just don't anymore except for the odd occasion.

renzolama

I'm shocked that Mr. Robot - The Game isn't performing well. Surely the gaming market that spends the most money (males 25-35) loves a game where they get to play as twenty year old hipster hax0r stereotypes who judge the world from their ivory tower of wisdom built from a vast history of life experience.

This is probably the actual level WD1 should have sold at considering the quality and removing all the crazy hype that game had.

I would call it a course correction.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I love how you gleaned all of this information about a game you haven't played.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
US bombing even worse than the UK.

October 2016

Week 40, 2016 - 531,266 units / £20m
Week 41, 2016 - 537,230 units / £21m
Week 42, 2016 - 605,162 units / £22m
Week 43, 2016 - 708,805 units / £25m

Total - 2,382,463 units (+40.76%) / £88m (+46.18%)

October 2015

Week 40, 2015 - 581,418 units / £21.9m
Week 41, 2015 - 369,581 units / £12.9m
Week 42, 2015 - 307,453 units / £10.1m
Week 43, 2015 - 434,162 units / £15.3m

Total - 1,692,614 units / £60.2m
That's because Oct 2015 was very weak. In the UK software sales were up over 40% in October 2016 Edit: Beaten by BKK
Sorry, I missed these due to my phone.

That's actually pretty dramatic. I guess there really wasn't much last year so 30%+ iteration over iteration decline on most major titles is still an improvement.

Kazooie

Banned
Oh of course. If someone doesn't like this game they're obviously racist.
Does anyone genuinely believe that anyone will look at a game and say "not buying it because the protagonist isn't white"? If you believe that you are probably the prejudiced one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, so here are our UK sales for the year on the biggest titles iteration over iteration:

Code:
[Week 21, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 74,000 / NEW
[Week 19, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 62,000 / NEW

[Week 44, 2011] UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 115,000
[Week 19, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 192,000 / NEW

[Week 43, 2011] BATTLEFIELD 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 404,000 / NEW 
[Week 44, 2013] BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 125,000 / NEW 
[Week 12, 2015] BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 115,000 / NEW
[Week 47, 2015] STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 335,000 / NEW
[Week 42, 2016] BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 277,000 / NEW

[Week 46, 2006] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR (MICROSOFT) ~ 100,000 / NEW
[Week 45, 2008] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 2 (MICROSOFT) ~ 220,000 / NEW
[Week 38, 2011] 01 (NE) GEARS OF WAR 3 (MICROSOFT) - 323,000 / NEW
Gears 4 < 105,000

[Week 34, 2010] 01 (NE) MAFIA II (TAKE 2) - 75,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2016] 02 (NE) MAFIA III (TAKE 2) - 119,000 / NEW

Dishonored 1 ~ 64,500
04 (NE) DISHONORED 2 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 40,000 / NEW

[Week 45, 2015] 01 (NE) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 635,000 / NEW
01 (NE) CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 328,000 / NEW

[Week 39, 2015] 01 (NE) FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 939,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 1,108,000 / NEW

[Week 11, 2014] TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 125,000 / NEW
TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 31,250 / NEW

[Week 34, 2011] DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - 96,000 / NEW
[Week 34, 2016] DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)  ~ 38,000 / NEW

[Week 25, 2010] DEMON'S SOULS: BLACK PHANTOM EDITION (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) > 10,000 < 15,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2011] DARK SOULS (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) > 30,000 < 36,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] DARK SOULS II (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) > 38,000 < 43,000 / NEW
[Week 13, 2015] BLOODBORNE (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 43,000 / NEW
[Week 15, 2016] DARK SOULS III (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT) > 61,000 < 69,000 / NEW

[Week 08, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 88,000 / NEW
Street Fighter V ~ 24,000 / NEW

And a couple of new IPs:

Code:
[Week 21, 2016] OVERWATCH (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) 56,000 - 74,000

The first week for Quantum Break in the UK = ~28K

The Division > ~280k

We didn't get numbers for Battleborn, but uh, you know...

I pulled these from the individual threads so there might have been more accurate numbers for a few later on.

It's worth noting some of these were compared to last gen games that had effectively zero digital sales.

Some titles did recover as well. Doom ultimately surpassed Wolfenstein IIRC.

Does anyone genuinely believe that anyone will look at a game and say "not buying it because the protagonist isn't white"? If you believe that you are probably the prejudiced one.
Um that's actually a real thing. Same as people saying I won't buy this because the protagonist is a women. Just because you don't believe something or wanna believe it doesn't make it any less true &#128529;. Step out of your bubble. I love this trend of calling someone racist/prejudice for pointing out or mentioning other ppls racism/prejudice. It's truly amazing to see.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You realize there are numerous examples of games that had a shoehorned white protagonist because that sells better including studios that had to scrap projects with minority protagonist/. Ever heard the phrase "Can't relate?" That phrase has absolutely nothing to do with the personality of the character. But let me guess, "You don't see race."

Digital sales make up about 48&#8453; (in value) of the UK market.

Sure, but when you factor in basically all PC sales being digital, PSN/XBL sales, season passes and DLC that number (interested to know where you heard that?) doesn't necessarily mean much without more context.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Feels a bit negative to suggest that people are finally learning, but... maybe people have caught on to AAA developers' bullshit?

AHA-Lambda

Then again, if it's actually more localized to the UK, it's not nearly as much of an issue. You might question making more Doom or Overwatch if the UK was indicative of the whole market, but certainly not with global results.

well hopefully DOOM and Overwatch are just blips and localised anomalies.

I'm surprised at those cases though, especially Overwatch.
No info on how well they're doing in UK now?

EDIT:
Ah seems DOOM recoverd, not too surprising; really seems that game recovered in general elsewhere too once the price dropped a little.

Overwatch is still curious, is most of the audience on PC and not accounted for in retail sales?

Feels a bit negative to suggest that people are finally learning, but... maybe people have caught on to AAA developers' bullshit?

not really sure that there's anything more complicated going on with watch dogs 2 than a combination of other big titles & 'once bit, twice shy' (justifiable or not)...

No surprise really. People are wary after the original. I sure was.

yep. & knowing it'll be cheaper in little to no time at all don't help :) ...

Pif

Banned
It deserves to bomb despite being a good game, so that ublishers learn not to show bullshit at announcements and then release a hugely downgraded product.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
well hopefully DOOM and Overwatch are just blips and localised anomalies.

I'm surprised at those cases though, especially Overwatch.
No info on how well they're doing in UK now>

IIRC they did actually hang around and do better over time. I know Doom overtook Wolfenstein in longer term sales.

It is also possible that the market is just becoming less frontloaded, but since we primarily get debut week sales, it makes things look much worse than they are, and the monthly units being up are a reflection of numbers we don't see as much.

But, well, we don't get numbers that often, so it's hard to say.

EDIT:
Ah seems DOOM recoverd, not too surprising; really seems that game recovered in general elsewhere too once the price dropped a little.

Overwatch is still curious, is most of the audience on PC and not accounted for in retail sales?
For Overwatch, half of the playerbase is in Asia according to Activision, and yeah, it's a pretty PC skewed title. That said, I'll see if I can find longer term sales numbers for it at UK retail.

Pif

Banned
Ubisoft stock prices will take a hit.. now is the time Vivendi.

Just wait until That open world game Wildlands bombs also. That thing reeks of copy paste from watch dogs. Take the hacking mechanics away, and put a spoonful of Rainbow Six Siege on it.

AHA-Lambda

IIRC they did actually hang around and do better over time. I know Doom overtook Wolfenstein in longer term sales.

It is also possible that the market is just becoming less frontloaded, but since we primarily get debut week sales, it makes things look much worse than they are, and the monthly units being up are a reflection of numbers we don't see as much.

But, well, we don't get numbers that often, so it's hard to say.

For Overwatch, half of the playerbase is in Asia according to Activision, and yeah, it's a pretty PC skewed title. That said, I'll see if I can find longer term sales numbers for it at UK retail.

Ah cool, thanks :)

It really is amazing how all the new trends area always on PC (DOTA, Hearthstone, CSGO, Overwatch) :p
It's kinda no wonder if console has a gap in relation to these booms =/

TalonJH

Sad because honestly, WD2 may be my game of the year. It's surprising how well the pieces fall together to make a great game. The original fell flat.

AHA-Lambda

Ubi has released a statement

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-21-watch-dogs-2-launch-sales-nowhere-near-watch-dogs-1

"We're incredibly happy with critics' and players' very positive reception of Watch Dogs 2, which should bolster support for the long-term success of the game," a Ubisoft spokesperson told us. "It is true that first-day and first-week sales for a number of big games, including Watch Dogs 2 and titles from our competitors, are comparatively lower than previous versions in previous years.

"However, we expect both week-two and week-three sales to be above traditional sales patterns. There is a trend toward games, especially high-quality games, having stronger and longer 'tails' as favorable reviews and word of mouth spread. Watch Dogs 2 is already considered a tremendous addition to the open-world action adventure series and we're confident that millions of players are going to love it."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, so longer term sales:

Uncharted 3 vs 4 (this is actually a reversal of what was previously a major improvement):

Uncharted 3 is a bit ahead launch aligned, let's not forget that Uncharted 3 was released in November.

After 10 weeks:

Uncharted 3 ~ 345,000-370,000
Uncharted 4 ~ 333,000
Code:
[Nov, 2011] UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 184,000 
[Dec, 2011] UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 155,000 - 180,000 

[May, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 260,000 
[Jun, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 56,000

Doom vs Wolfenstein:

Code:
[Week 19, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 62,000 / NEW
[Week 20, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 40,000 / 102,000 (-35%)
[Week 21, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 24,000 / 126,000 (-41%)
[Week 22, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 16,000 / 142,000 (-33%)

[Week 21, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 74,000 / NEW
[Week 22, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 26,000 / 100,000 (-65%)
[Week 23, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 13,000 / 113,000 (-51%)
[Week 24, 2014] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) ~ 10,000 / 123,000 (-21%)

And at the end of June, Overwatch was around 120K.

Top Bottom