• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight |OT| - We Failed the DST Skill Checks

dbdotbannerouj8z.png

Platform: PC/Steam
Developer: Behaviour Digital Inc.
Publisher: Starbreeze Studios
Release Date: June 14th, 2016
Price: Standard Edition: $19.99/$17.99 until July 4th/$15.99 until July 4th if you own Payday 2
Deluxe Edition: $29.99/$26.99 until July 4th/$23.99 until July 4th if you own Payday 2

Dead by Daylight is an asymmetrical multiplayer game (4v1) where you take the role of either one of four Survivors that tries to avoid the Killer and escape to safety, or one of three Killers that hunts the Survivors down.

Survivors cannot hurt or kill the Killer, only outsmart them or stun them with pallets as you knock them down when running for your life. If you are grabbed, it's not an immediate game over--you can try to wiggle free before being placed on a meat hook or be helped by crafty teammates with flashlights. Teammates acting as bait can also buy you precious time to wiggle free.

Once you are on the hook, you're at the mercy of RNG (5- or 10%, I believe) to escape by yourself. It's usually best to wait for a teammate to come help you down, because failing the RNG prompt to free yourself causes a severe penalty and hastens your sacrifice to the Entity above.

As the Killer, it's your job to sacrifice as many survivors as you can to the Entity via hooks before they escape. You need to stop them from fixing the generators that open the gates however you can.

dbdsysreqeaj6s.png

dbdsurvivorsbnr7cjwe.jpg

dbdclaudette3fks2.png

dbdmegzpkce.png

dbdjakeinfojhjpw.png

dbddwightinfofxkyi.png

dbdsurvivordetailszskct.png

dbditems2fixy5ke8.png

dbdbloodweblejgc.png

dbdkillersbnrntkab.png

dbdwraithinfoxoka9.png

dbdhillbillyinfofij1r.png

trapperinfowithrenderrzkxx.png

dbdkillerobjvajqg.png

dbdscoringdlj41.png

dbdrankxsjp7.png

dbdnotes2vjza.png

dbdkeyssmjw6.png

Gilzor

Great work OP! I put something like 14 hours into the Beta, can't wait to spend more time with the full version.

Talonz

This was posted in the other thread but Ela is playing the game very hardcore and grinding to rank 1 despite the bugs to aquiring ranks right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz

He has 10k viewers right now. It's great to see his stream becoming so successful.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I've watched this game more than I've played it.

Ditto, I find it too stressful to play more than 2-3 rounds consecutively so end up playing a few rounds then watching somebody else play on Twitch for awhile until i'm ready to go again. Great OT, btw, particularly since you whipped it up so quick. :)

Compsiox

Banned
I've been doing awesome as a survivor. It sucks that so many people try to be killers and that survivors quit from lobbies repeatedly to find their friends.

Ditto, I find it too stressful to play more than 2-3 rounds consecutively so end up playing a few rounds then watching somebody else play on Twitch for awhile until i'm ready to go again. Great OT, btw, particularly since you whipped it up so quick. :)
That's actually what drew me into the game, honestly, haha. I watched some people play it and the stress was just palpable. It's even worse when you're actually playing it--which is what I hoped for! My hands trembled in almost every game I played so far. I love that feeling.

I'm still a greenhorn since I haven't played too much because of other reasons, but watching is just as fun as playing. I honestly don't know how some of these streamers have the stamina/stomach that they do with this game, but it's kind of incredible. Not a bad learning experience, either!

And thanks!

Woo-Fu

Banned
So its actually fun and a cool experience?

I guess it can be described like the 3rd? act in one of those 80's horror flicks. You're down to four survivors who realize they're being picked off by a crazed killer and are doing everything they can do to escape. If you think it would be fun to play either the survivors or the killer in that part of the movie you should have fun playing the game. Think it is easily worth the $17 it costs if you would enjoy playing either of those roles.

Many of the questions that come up over and over again in the movies come up in the gameplay.

1. Do I risk finishing the bit toward the objective even though I know the killer is nearby or do I get the hell out of here?
2. Do I try to save that guy up on the hook or do I go work objectives?
3. Do I risk spending time opening this chest for an item that might be useful?

The point/ranking/leveling systems add incentive to not just simply "win" too. You'll add more risk/challenge to the game simply by going for more points as a survivor.

The game isn't perfect, it has its warts but most of the issues are minor and the developer seems keen on fixing them.

So its actually fun and a cool experience?
For sure. It's definitely janky in some areas (animations), but that adds to its charm. For me, anyway. And like the last section of the OP mentions, it does have its issues right now, but the gameplay is pretty solid.

What really pushed me over the edge in getting it was seeing how much these guys had fun with their friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nub0ypPEHuo (much prefer this guy and his friends to the second link's. But this first video he doesn't really do much, but you can still appreciate the game by what his friends are describing. Watch the second video at the minimum, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miFacScATX0 (a little loud for my tastes, but adding it for variety, and I DID watch it, so)

Tangeroo

This game is crazy fun despite not being able to play with friends in public lobbies. It's actually dug into my Overwatch time which I didn't expect to happen for quite some time.

voodooray

From watching ela's stream, seems the bug in losing rank when the killer ragequits is fixed.

Also, its reported to be a lot quicker for people to join you when setting up a new lobby.

Edit: http://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/358415206084790905/

Patch Notes (1.0.1)

- Fixed various chainsaw sounds.
- Fixed various hook sounds.
- Adjusted visual for the match results text
- Fixed an issue that could cause eye popping during a hook rescue
- Fixed various issue that could result in floating chests and barricades
- Fixed an issue that could cause drastic framerate drops when healing fellow survivors
- Fixed an issue that could cause bloodpoints to display a negative value when players earned more points than their previous total
- Fixed an issue that cause the killer to play a "carrying attack" animation after hooking a survivor
- Fixed various issues that could occur if a player sabotaged a hook while a killer hooks someone
- Fixed an issue that could cause the killer to get stuck in objects when interrupting survivor actions
- Added missing shadows to the campfire
- Adjusted certain fire materials
- Adjusted certain emissive materials
- Adjusted certain effects on Meg's hair
- Fixed an issue that could prevent players from disarming traps when holding a toolbox
- Modified a certain hill tile to prevent certain collision issues
- Fixed an issue that could cause escaped players' outlines to be shown to hooked players
- Fixed certain issues that could occur when a hooked player disconnects
- Item addons will now function properly if the item is given to another player
- Adjustments to male and female run animations
- Fixed an issue could cause the "Zealous" achievement to be awarded incorrectly
- Fixed an issue that could cause players to become stuck if the player healing them taps the input rather than holding it
- Fixed an issue that could result in a broken lobby transition when acepting a private lobby invitation while watching a tutorial video
- Fixed various UI issues in the Kill Your Friends lobby
- Rapidly pressing on "Loadout" and "Switch Role" will no longer result in the loadout background to be displayed without the menu
- Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when pressing alt-F4 during the intro video
- The "Saboteur" perk was missing its skill check difficulty adjustment. It has been fixed.
- The "Spine Chill" and "Premonition" perks were not working correctly. They have been fixed.
- Fixed a graphical issue that could occur when a player leaves the match during the sacrifice sequence
- Fixed an issue that could cause players to incorrectly lose rank pips when in the tally screen
- Fixed an issue that could cause the host player to crash when leaving a public match
- Fixed an issue that could cause daily rituals to behave incorrectly for new players
- Fixed an issue that could cause the category of maxed out score events to be replaced by "none"
- Fixed an issue that could leave a lobby in a state unable to receive new players

Compsiox

Banned
Was watching trutalent's stream earlier. He is very good as the killer.

I feel like a lot of the games popular with Twitchers isn't discussed on Neogaf.

No one talks about King of the Kill, Rust, Shattered Skies which I just found out existed from visiting Twitch, and now this game.

People come on. These are great games.

ldcommando

Banned
I feel like a lot of the games popular with Twitchers isn't discussed on Neogaf.

No one talks about King of the Kill, Rust, Shattered Skies which I just found out existed from visiting Twitch, and now this game.

People come on. These are great games.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I searched shattered skies on gaf after seeing lirik playing it and I got like 0 hits. Not even the steam thread had any mentions.

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I searched shattered skies on gaf after seeing lirik playing it and I got like 0 hits. Not even the steam thread had any mentions.

Indeed. Also Shattered Skies is from the WarZ dev Sergey Titov who actually was the one who made the game into what it was. Don't buy Shattered Skies.

Man, I played a game earlier where the last survivor seemingly disappeared from existence and did nothing for what seemed like 20 minutes. I looked and looked and looked to no avail. Then out of nowhere they finally fail a skill check test, I go, and she's still there--I hit her, she flees, then hides in a closet but I can hear her. And the closet was right in front of the hook.

What a game.

Skittles

Fantastic game, which will only get better as time goes on. Right now they're working on the next killer and party mode with friends.

Fantastic game, which will only get better as time goes on. Right now they're working on the next killer and party mode with friends.
Oh, are they? Was there a new Twitch stream I missed, then?

Also, anyone know if the hatch opens automatically if you're the last survivor? Or do you need to be the last survivor and have a certain number of generators left? I was the last one standing with 3-4 generators left, and I happened to hear the hatch wind, but could never find it... and then I realized it wasn't actually showing up next to the generator. Like, I happened to be in the area when everyone died, heard it, and didn't even check the icons for some reason, so i spent too long looking for it instead of going for a generator.

Skittles

Oh, are they? Was there a new Twitch stream I missed, then?

Also, anyone know if the hatch opens automatically if you're the last survivor? Or do you need to be the last survivor and have a certain number of generators left? I was the last one standing with 3-4 generators left, and I happened to hear the hatch wind, but could never find it... and then I realized it wasn't actually showing up next to the generator. Like, I happened to be in the area when everyone died, heard it, and didn't even check the icons for some reason, so i spent too long looking for it instead of going for a generator.
Yeah, was on the latest one I think.

You need 2 generators done before the hatch opens

Compsiox

Banned
Wait I really hope they don't add a party mode. I don't think they said they are. Those are just people who want it

voodooray

Wait I really hope they don't add a party mode. I don't think they said they are. Those are just people who want it

They have confirmed that they are allowing ranked team play, and its currently their highest priority. You can see them mention it here:

https://www.twitch.tv/deadbydaylight/v/72787474?t=4m19s

surprise guest appearance by Trapper too =)

While there probably will be an issue with teams farming points, I will take it over people joining/leaving near full lobbies, in attempts to try to play with their friends in ranked mode.

Yesterday I had a weird glitch where I was rescued off the hook, when suddenly my camera started spinning wildly, and I was flung outside of the level (!).

It was funny to bait the killer several times from outside the walls, with circling crows cawing like mad overhead (which appear if you camp for too long), before leaving via the exit:

Yesterday I had a weird glitch where I was rescued off the hook, when suddenly my camera started spinning wildly, and I was flung outside of the level (!).

It was funny to bait the killer several times from outside the walls, with circling crows cawing like mad overhead (which appear if you camp for too long), before leaving via the exit:
Wow, that's crazy. If you were stuck outside the level, how did you escape? Was part of the exit outside the level, too, and you triggered it? Or did you somehow make it back inside?

I just got done with a game where I killed everybody (1 dc), and the last kill was on the Meg that was going to the hatch on the corn field! Holy shit. It was the level with the big house, and I was the Hillbilly. She went up the stairs, and so did I while charging and I sped past her and my heart sank, but she actually went into, haha. OMG, right at the hatch, too. Clutch victory because she was avoiding me really damn well. She high-tailed it to that hatch. If I were any other killer, I might not have reached her in time (I was charging to gain distance/following her tracks).

voodooray

Wow, that's crazy. If you were stuck outside the level, how did you escape? Was part of the exit outside the level, too, and you triggered it? Or did you somehow make it back inside?

Right, the exit zones are triggered once you go past the gate exit, which you can still reach even once outside the walls. Otherwise you are free to roam the perimeter, between gates.

If I were any other killer, I might not have reached her in time (I was charging to gain distance/following her tracks).

Sounds awesome, congrats! I saw this awesome Hillbilly encounter yesterday when elajjaz was spectating after leaving:

https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz/v/72935552?t=4h37m18s

Keep watching, as what follows is probably the most amazing cat and mouse encounter you may ever see between a survivor and Hillbilly =)

Bonus map glitch caught too:

https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz/v/72935552?t=7h1m

Parties will ruin this game though. The killer won't stand a chance.
How? There's nothing that can be communicated that gives some massive leg up on the killer, except maybe being able to say whether they're by you when you're on the meat hook, you can't even tell people where you are most of the time because of how vague the maps are. Have you actually played a full game with friends? Cause I've done a bunch and if there is some massive spike in success rate then I sure haven't noticed it.

voodooray

An organised party of friends would use discord or something to have always on voice, and would be able to affect the game a lot, when compared against a lobby of randoms:

'2 bear traps near my hook and killer is camping, don't bother, just leave'
'I'm nearly done with this last generator, whoever's getting chased, lead the killer away'
'hatch inside building'

etc. I'm sure it would make it tougher to play against them.

But at the same time, the killer does have some great perks at higher level, and they get a lot of points by finding/chasing, breaking obstacles, re-hooking survivors, and not by killing survivors quickly.

I would love some in-game way to communicate, even if its only when near another ('slow down and heal me!).

Compsiox

Banned
How? There's nothing that can be communicated that gives some massive leg up on the killer, except maybe being able to say whether they're by you when you're on the meat hook, you can't even tell people where you are most of the time because of how vague the maps are. Have you actually played a full game with friends? Cause I've done a bunch and if there is some massive spike in success rate then I sure haven't noticed it.

Third party programs come on mang

Anyone else getting indefinite load screens after the patch? It seems to happen after I play a game or two and a new match is found (as Survivor). This is the second time I've been forced to end the process. I feel awful for leaving my team down a person =/

EDIT: WTF, so I restarted the game, tried to join a lobby, and got this:

Something's up with the game now after this patch, at least with me. Joining a lobby for the first time after launching makes the game hang hardcore. Also, after trying to join a lobby and all that shown above ended, I was shown my results screen (just running, no points) and couldn't do anything but alt-F4. It's like I was seeing the match I had to leave because it never loaded.

Skittles

2nd most streamed game on twitch, it's getting there. From what I heard they're going to balance for the party mode

MUnited83

For you.
Trapper feels so underpowered compared to the other two killers. His traps can't cover enough ground.

Constantly communicating where you are and if you've seen the killer, coordinating generator repairs, making one of you run around as bait to distract the killer by endlessly juking him on windows and all that... A killer will lose to a team that communicates 90% of the time.

sleepykyo

I'm so bad as this game. Despite playing as Meg and getting burst of speed, I still can't kite killers.

Trapper feels so underpowered compared to the other two killers. His traps can't cover enough ground.

A couple of the streamers including Elajjaz seem to fear Trapper most. Each of the maps have areas where survivors can kite a killer indefinitely, but the trapper can at least hope set up in one of the areas ahead of time.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Been watching streamers play this for a couple hours now and a good number of them are losing their shit due to players dc/ing when they get caught. Why a system wasn't it place to discourage this behavior from the beginning is crazy. :lol

I've been watching this since yesterday and really like what I see. I'm so close to jumping in but I have this fear that they're going to mess it up with patches and balancing.

I guess there's always the option to refund but I'd rather avoid that completely.

E-flux

Constantly communicating where you are and if you've seen the killer, coordinating generator repairs, making one of you run around as bait to distract the killer by endlessly juking him on windows and all that... A killer will lose to a team that communicates 90% of the time.

That's on the devs that they allowed that constant window jumping, same with jumping out from the buildings, survivors shouldn't be able to do that without a penalty. I personally won't be playing until they add party matchmaking because i bought the 5 pack with my friends and it's a bit shitty that we can only play together if all of us happen to be online at the same moment which is fairly rare. Also if you catch 2/4 survivors that's already called a brutal victory and that's easily doable against a group of friends.

How is controller support in this ?

I think it's supported in game but not in the menus.

Top Bottom