• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs biggest non-GTA/BF/CoD/FIFA UK launch, 17th biggest all-time, 76% PS4/XB1

GHG

More proof that E3 2012 demo was genius. Downgrade or not, that demo made WD the highest selling new IP of the generation so far.

Most of the people who bought the game probably weren't even following e3 2012. Its more down to the recent marketing push before the games release.

madmackem

I forgot too, watch dogs launched on a tuesday so had way more time than your average friday release to sell, kind of ruins it a bit.

Asd202

It's probably not representative but everyone playing games I know, knows about Watch_Dogs but only few know about Destiny.

Well Activsion still haven't kicked of it there marketing campaign. They probably will close to Beta.

Did Mario Kart really outsell Watch_dogs on PS3 and X360..? if so.. wauw..

Not really a feat software sales of PS3/360 fell like a rock thanks to PS4 and Xbone.

Some Nobody

I'm honestly really surprised. The game doesn't appeal to me at all.

That's fine, but not everyone is like you? Personally I just wanted to drive around a city and hack shit. The game seems good enough off my first session with it (school finals have prevented me from doing more). I mean, seriously I dislike GTA with a passion but it's popularity doesn't surprise me at all.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd say it's more impressive that it's the second best debut ever for a Mario Kart in UK. Even better than Mario Kart 7 on 3DS.

I think the delay worked to its favour. The couldn't have picked a better timed release at this point. Good for them.

I'd say it's more impressive that it's the second best debut ever for a Mario Kart in UK. Even better than Mario Kart 7 on 3DS.
Nintendo have done a great job marketing MK8 as the sole killer app. I think, with 7, there was other software to accompany it better so that might explain it a bit? Still, impressive!

Most of the people who bought the game probably weren't even following e3 2012. Its more down to the recent marketing push before the games release.

Watch Dogs is a really fun game. It's not exceptional, but it's enjoyable.

Also, Watch_Dogs' marketing was/is pretty insane. It's success is based not so much on the quality of the game, but moreso the timing of it. It's a dry period.

Hip Hop

and it's not even a good game. :/

uh,

yes it is. It may not be your cup of tea, but it's far from a bad game.

OT:

Very well deserved. Haven't been impressed by a game like this in a while. Amazing graphics, fun gameplay and mechanics.

AHA-Lambda

Apart from its not a GTA clone... :/

I've played it, it's basically every other gta clone left in the wake of that game's success.

It's just plain bloody average. Incredibly expensive but average.

Hell Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs do the same thing better but weren't as egregiously expensive to make nor as ridiculously overhyped.

I'm more interested in the Wii U news. 666% increase is diabolical. That number proves that Nintendo sold their souls to devils :p

RulkezX

so a game launching on 5 different platforms did this.. not that hard.

but good for them.

Let's not pretend that the market is somehow larger because it launched on 5 platforms , the current gen console owners are almost certainly ex ps360 owners. The pool of potential buyers in May 2014 is likely exactly the same as the pool of potential buyers in May 2011/12/13 etc.

Meh, Titanfall also sold a lot better on X1 than 360. Clearly early adopters of the consoles buy a lot of games.

Are you sure about that ?

Tinzo

Banned
i bought it day one and got a breakthrough edition plus a wallpaper with it.
i have played it about 4 days now and i have to say it is a very good game. Not great but i enjoyed it alot. the graphics lets me down on the day times but rather then that i enjoy this game as much as i did with gta 5. i don't play online so i always search for games with a long single player campaigns. just like black flag or gta 5.

Not that much of a surprise really, lots of hype and it actually is a really good game.

Yep.

Regardless of the controversy about downgrades and such, it's a really good game, and a strong foundation for a series with a great deal of potential. I think the Edge 8/10 is about right.

Raonak

Banned
Man, sony's partnership with ubisoft really paid off. dat 94%.
I really wanna see some platform breakdowns, really curious how much "vast majority" is.

Steroyd

come on... look at the install base for X360 and PS3 in the UK.. and then look at the Wii-U numbers..

Install base means almost nothing otherwise the PS360 sales of games wouldn't have died off as quickly as they did, I thought the same when GT6 came out, neither console is doing a PS2.

I'm really enjoying the game. A lot of people give the game unwarranted negativity! It's not surprising at all its gonna sell well! It deserves to!

I agree with this. The criticism for this game is super exaggerated. It feels like a very solid first entry to a series that will improve over time. I like the fact that it embraces a lot features they have perfected their other franchises. The combat/stealth feels very much like Conviction, while the traversal is akin to Assassins Creed. I'm having a very good time with this.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hidden best news of this article.... Wolfenstein still has strong sales. 3rd best selling game of the week behind WD and Mario Kart.

Dunkers92

Not surprised at all. Actually knew this on Friday as we got an email from Ubisoft about how successful the launch was. The game sold like hotcakes at work. It was ridiculously busy

Pleased for them because I am really liking the game. It has me hooked completely, yes there are flaws, but for a new IP it has set a great foundation for the future. If they can make the same leap with watchdogs as they made from AC1 to AC2 then god damn, they will have a great game on their hands.

Also great to see MK8 do well. We had a WII U pod set up for the game and everyone loved it. We actually sold out of the game on Friday afternoon

Foshy

Sales might be more frontloaded than usual beacuse it's mostly hardcores that own the Wii U now.

random25

WTF! 666%? LOL! Nintendo is the devil confirmed.

Congrats to MK8 and Nintendo! Well deserved, especially with the large amount of people enjoying the game. Hope to maintain that momentum to boost up install base in the UK.

level44

WTF! 666%? LOL! Nintendo is the devil confirmed.

Congrats to MK8 and Nintendo! Well deserved, especially with the large amount of people enjoying the game. Hope to maintain that momentum to boost up install base in the UK.

Wrong thread.

Steroyd

Holy crap. That opens a small light of hope for Wii U and with E3 next week... Hype!

Really? Only other game I can see do a similar job on the WiiU is Smash Bros. Even then that has a 3DS version now which is an unknown variable on what affect it could so to sales for the console.

freefornow

Gold Member
What were PS4 hardware sales last week in the UK? Percentages are nice, but..........
The same for WiiU hardware. Numbers please.

I expected this. Watch Dogs was heavily hyped. Also, Sony's partnership with Ubi along with having the superior version clearly paid off.

Man

So Watch_Dogs PS4 bundling did more for that platform than Titanfall XB1 bundling did for its platform?

Top Bottom