• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs delayed until the Spring of 2014 (after April 1st)

Shinta

Banned
Tomb Raider was a fantastic game and an awesome rebirth of the franchise. Deal with it.
Pretty much. Can't wait for the sequel. Everything is set up for it to be even better, and they can easily have it focus more on in depth tombs now.

Derrick01

Banned
Tomb Raider was a fantastic game and an awesome rebirth of the franchise. Deal with it.

Bioshock is a serious contender; deal with it.

You guys make convincing arguments. Then again with tomb raider no one could actually make an argument why it should be a goty contender because it's so mechanically brain dead that one would literally be doing the impossible by making a good argument for it.

PasteyMF

Was this posted? Forgive me if it's duplicate. I would highly recommend that someone creates a new thread for this so that people worried about it would not miss this news:

https://twitter.com/amazongames/stat...06198818959361

:)

Here's more:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE2W5M2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00DE2W5M2&linkCode=as2&tag=gaminevery-20

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for this info immediately and you came to the rescue. :D

Shinta

Banned
You guys make convincing arguments. Then again with tomb raider no one could actually make an argument why it should be a goty contender because it's so mechanically brain dead that one would literally be doing the impossible by making a good argument for it.

Most GOTY winners are mechanically braindead, like Journey and The Walking Dead. We're going to have to endure tons of debates about why The Last of Us is the best game of the year, despite being a thoroughly mediocre game in almost every way aside from production values. Tomb Raider bests it in nearly every gameplay-related area.

Meaningful item upgrades, puzzles, better shooting control, very original and fluid cover system, better platforming.

Personally, I think Mario 3D World has a shot at being GOTY, but Tomb Raider was easily one of my favorite games this year.

Derrick01

Banned
Most GOTY winners are mechanically braindead, like Journey and The Walking Dead. We're going to have to endure tons of debates about why The Last of Us is the best game of the year, despite being a thoroughly mediocre game in almost every way aside from production. Tomb Raider bests it in nearly every gameplay-related area.

Meaningful item upgrades, puzzles, better shooting control, very original and fluid cover system, better platforming.

I'm convinced you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Meaningful item upgrades and good puzzles in Tomb Raider? The puzzles that take less than 1 minute to complete? (that is no exaggeration by the way). You don't even have to upgrade items in Tomb Raider because the game is so brain dead you can win with basic everything on Hard.

Also they pretty much have the same cover system...automatic.

Pandemic

Moving the game from November to April and onward is a pretty big delay, especially since the game would soon be going gold. I wonder what caused them to delay it now rather than earlier if the game isn't near finished..

No offence but you seem to be positive about every game.

It always looked good to me too. I'm willing to bet that reveal from 2012 looks exactly like that in game.

also, I don't get the reskinned AC comments? how? It has different traversal system...driving vehicles instead of being able to climb everything. it has a different combat system as far as i can tell in melee, not to mention the cover shooting stuff. It has the unique hacking aspect/layer. Different animations, environment, etc. Or is the AC comments because people think the graphics look similar?

Mr. West

Banned
Most GOTY winners are mechanically braindead, like Journey and The Walking Dead. We're going to have to endure tons of debates about why The Last of Us is the best game of the year, despite being a thoroughly mediocre game in almost every way aside from production values. Tomb Raider bests it in nearly every gameplay-related area.

I loved Tomb Raider (and The Last of Us), but there is no way in hell TR deserves GOTY over TLOU. Tomb Raider was a great blockbuster type action adventure game, but TLOU was on some classic medium defining shit. Tomb Raider's upgrades meant almost nothing, like Derrick said. I'll give you better shooting and cover system (TLOU felt clunky). Platforming, thats a dumb comparison, since TLOU has none.

But really, Tomb Raider is another game in the "cinemaction" genre. It's great and arguably better than the Uncharted's, but TLOU had way more of an impact.

Shinta

Banned
I'm convinced you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Oh believe me, I feel the same way about you. I'm just not as rude about it, and try to just focus on the argument itself instead of attacking the person.

Meaningful item upgrades and good puzzles in Tomb Raider? The puzzles that take less than 1 minute to complete? (that is no exaggeration by the way).

I don't even know why you think this makes you look good. If I was watching someone play TR and zip through any of the tombs in 1 minute, I would probably laugh at their absurd playstyle. I usually spent at least a minute just looking around before I even started, if not more.

So yeah, you actually are exaggerating. That's what the word means. Lots of tombs take longer than a minute, and I'm sure they did for you too, so I don't know who you're trying to impress.

You don't even have to upgrade items in Tomb Raider because the game is so brain dead you can win with basic everything on Hard.

That's just factually incorrect. You can't even access later areas in the game without the rope arrows, and the speed climbing tool that pulls open doors. The areas are gated off.

Also they pretty much have the same cover system...automatic.

I think Tomb Raider's is significantly more fluid and impressive.

Derrick01

Banned
It always looked good to me too. I'm willing to bet that reveal from 2012 looks exactly like that in game.

also, I don't get the reskinned AC comments? how? It has different traversal system...driving vehicles instead of being able to climb everything. it has a different combat system as far as i can tell in melee, not to mention the cover shooting stuff. It has the unique hacking aspect/layer. Different animations, environment, etc. Or is the AC comments because people think the graphics look similar?

In several demos I noticed things like taking out an outpost to unlock a bunch of stuff on the map nearby. That's ripped straight from AC.

The rest of the stuff I've noticed is more basic open world Ubisoft filler-trash that started with AC2 and the others and was eventually extended to Far Cry 3. So I guess people associate all of that trash side content/collectibles with AC since it started there.

Shinta said:
That's just factually incorrect. You can't even access later areas in the game without the rope arrows, and the speed climbing tool that pulls open doors. The areas are gated off.

I wasn't talking about forced story upgrades that you can't avoid, I was talking about upgrading weapons and Lara's skills. You could avoid doing that and still have an incredibly easy time with the game's combat.

Mr. West said:
Far Cry 3's loop of Towers, Camps, and Missions was really satisfying though. Not surprised to see them apply it to AC4 and WD.

Not really because FC3 was too shallow. You could stealth through each camp by throwing infinite distraction rocks or just take the few guys standing around in a few seconds. And of course in standard Ubi fashion there was like 40 camps throughout the land, doing the same thing every.single.time.

Mr. West

Banned
In several demos I noticed things like taking out an outpost to unlock a bunch of stuff on the map nearby. That's ripped straight from AC.

The rest of the stuff I've noticed is more basic open world Ubisoft filler-trash that started with AC2 and the others and was eventually extended to Far Cry 3. So I guess people associate all of that trash side content/collectibles with AC since it started there.
Far Cry 3's loop of Towers, Camps, and Missions was really satisfying though. Not surprised to see them apply it to AC4 and WD.

Zornack

Not really because FC3 was too shallow. You could stealth through each camp by throwing infinite distraction rocks or just take the few guys standing around in a few seconds. And of course in standard Ubi fashion there was like 40 camps throughout the land, doing the same thing every.single.time.

His enjoyment of FC3's gameplay loop isn't legitimate because he didn't find the easiest exploitable routine then repeat it 34 times like a robot?

Derrick01

Banned
His enjoyment of FC3's gameplay loop isn't legitimate because he didn't find the easiest exploitable routine then repeat it 40 times like a robot?

Well if you're not stealthing your way through the base what else is there to do besides shooting them all? It's not like the game was deep and made you get real creative or else die repeatedly. There was no tactical planning or difficulty at all unlike FC2.

Zornack

Well if you're not stealthing your way through the base what else is there to do besides shooting them all? It's not like the game was deep and made you get real creative or else die repeatedly. There was no tactical planning or difficulty at all unlike FC2.

In the 20 or so bases I did I stealthed, sniped, ran in guns blazing, unleashed animals, barged in with a vehicles and ran over guys and dropped in from the sky with the hang glider.

It's not the deepest game but it's more than "stealth around and throw rocks." You could just stealth around and throw rocks, but why would you?

Derrick01

Banned
In the 20 or so bases I did I stealthed, sniped, ran in guns blazing, unleashed animals, barged in with a vehicles and ran over guys and dropped in from the sky with the hang glider.

It's not the deepest game but it's more than "stealth around and throw rocks." You could just stealth around and throw rocks, but why would you?

Because the game provided no reason or ability to do anything drastically different. The bases I didn't stealth I mowed down with my arsenal in about 20-30 seconds since there's only a few guards in each. Hell sometimes I went loud on purpose because the stealth was so hilariously broken that I needed to stay awake and try to give myself some kind of a challenge.

I do remember that one base near a beach who had a caged tiger. Watching him single-handedly take down the base while I sat my ass on a rock and filed my nails was fun...I guess.

We've seen a lot more gameplay of this than other launch titles, I'm sure it's close to completion. They should put it out now for the "buy everything at launch" and the Christmas crowd.

You think Titanfall will outshine Destiny?

I dunno, we'll see. Both games are new IP from developers the original developers of two big franchises. Destiny seems like a more ambitious, beautiful game with an actual campaign.

Titanfall is way more fun that I expected, however, but it's not very attractive and the lack of any real single player might limit its appeal a bit. I'm sure both will do very well.

Absolutely, Titanfall has got the COD crowds attention and that's huge. I did this topic a while back http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592266 and came to the conclusion that in the end, people don't care about the developer, they care about a) the name or b) the hype, and Titanfall has all the hype while COD has the name (already proven with the amount Treyarch and post-Respawn CODs are selling). Only thing hurting it, like people said, is the pseudo-exclusivity for Xbone.

-MD-

Tomb Raider bests it in nearly every gameplay-related area.

There's absolutely no way we played the same version of Tomb Raider. The game's "puzzles" consisted of 6 rooms with a single puzzle in each one that lasted anywhere between 1 and 3 minutes. The only difference between the cover system in both games is that it actually mattered in TLOU. Meaningful item upgrades? I beat the entire game on hard using only the bow. I don't even remember platforming in TLOU but TR's platforming played itself.

When you really break down what TR is all about (raiding tombs, surviving) and what kind of game they actually ended up making (Infinite ammo shootbang with auto pilot "platforming" and not a single memorable character) it's really quite sad how shit it ended up being. TLOU murders that Tomb Raider reboot in every single way, even the section featuring the deer is superior.

I do remember that one base near a beach who had a caged tiger. Watching him single-handedly take down the base while I sat my ass on a rock and filed my nails was fun...I guess.

Pretty sure every outpost had some sort of caged animal willing to eat the guards up if let loose.

I don't even know why you think this makes you look good. If I was watching someone play TR and zip through any of the tombs in 1 minute, I would probably laugh at their absurd playstyle. I usually spent at least a minute just looking around before I even started, if not more.

I'm actually willing to bet the majority of gamers don't stop and stare at walls for a minute every time they walk through a door. What you call absurd I call playing the game as intended. You're going to laugh at someone because they figured out that elementary level puzzle in under 2 minutes? That'll teach them!

We all love to get our hands on games as quick as possible but if this means that they deliver on their promises instead of shipping a rushed unfinished product, then I applaud this decision. It takes courage (and extra development costs) to push a release to ensure you deliver a quality product.

This is why I wish Madden came out with a new version every other year instead of annually. Just charge $20 for the second years roster update and throw in some DLC challenges/goodies. That way the team can focus on a true enhanced experience for the release years.

Absolutely, Titanfall has got the COD crowds attention and that's huge. I did this topic a while back http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592266 and came to the conclusion that in the end, people don't care about the developer, they care about a) the name or b) the hype, and Titanfall has all the hype while COD has the name (already proven with the amount Treyarch and post-Respawn CODs are selling). Only thing hurting it, like people said, is the pseudo-exclusivity for Xbone.

I can see Titanfall being an incredibly fun game! That said, if Destiny can deliver on its promise I think the character progression/teamwork aspect of that game could really get me hooked.

Spring? Damn. That is probably going to be around the end of May if we are talking about Ubisoft and then most PS4 folk would have already played inFamous Second Son.

I still appreciate their honesty for the delay considering how screwed up Assassin's Creed 3 was. I do not think they want another new franchise eventually becoming boring as fuck.

IMACOMPUTA

There's absolutely no way we played the same version of Tomb Raider. The game's "puzzles" consisted of 6 rooms with a single puzzle in each one that lasted anywhere between 1 and 3 minutes. The only difference between the cover system in both games is that it actually mattered in TLOU. Meaningful item upgrades? I beat the entire game on hard using only the bow. I don't even remember platforming in TLOU but TR's platforming played itself.

When you really break down what TR is all about (raiding tombs, surviving) and what kind of game they actually ended up making (Infinite ammo shootbang with auto pilot "platforming" and not a single memorable character) it's really quite sad how shit it ended up being. TLOU murders that Tomb Raider reboot in every single way, even the section featuring the deer is superior.

Pretty sure every outpost had some sort of caged animal willing to eat the guards up if let loose.

I'm actually willing to bet the majority of gamers don't stop and stare at walls for a minute every time they walk through a door. What you call absurd I call playing the game as intended. You're going to laugh at someone because they figured out that elementary level puzzle in under 2 minutes? That'll teach them!

I definitely enjoyed tlou more than tombraider but both games were guilty of a lot of the same shit.

Shinta

Banned

So they take 2 minutes now, or is it 3?

-MD-

Well Derrick says they take less than a minute. You guys are giving some conflicting claims here, hard for me to keep it all straight.

Seems like a personal problem.

And I don't know who Derrick is, don't treat his posts as part of my own. Thanks.

Shinta

Banned
Seems like a personal problem.

And I don't know who Derrick is, don't treat his posts as part of my own. Thanks.

Well you quoted me, saying that I thought it was silly to beat all TR puzzles in less than 60 seconds. That was my position, and you then tried to make it look silly.

Do you even know what you were responding to initially?

Personally, I think Mario 3D World has a shot at being GOTY, but Tomb Raider was easily one of my favorite games this year.

No offense but compared to TLOU's stealth/action gameplay, Tomb Raider's gameplay was fucking mediocre at best, Tomb Raider was far more guilty of trying to cinematize an action game than TLOU, with tons of QTEs, except Tomb Raider kind of failed at it due to poor story and shitty characters with bad voice-acting.

Daeva

Banned
Definitely for the best. This game needs longer no doubt about it. I think all the games could use the extra months. The racing games esp worry me.

Shinta

Banned
Someone (you) saying one of the biggest disappointments of the year (TR) is better than quite possibly the best game of the year (TLOU)

I'm quite aware.

I guess this is you admitting you put your foot in your mouth, and changing the subject.

That's totally fine. Thread is about Watch Dogs anyway, so lets just move on.

jmizzal

We've seen a lot more gameplay of this than other launch titles, I'm sure it's close to completion. They should put it out now for the "buy everything at launch" and the Christmas crowd.

I think this was a legit delay for more time to finish it right, like you said they would be missing on a lot of money not being out for Christmas, plus we heard this was the most pre ordered next gen game 3rd party game.

-MD-

I guess this is you admitting you put your foot in your mouth, and changing the subject.

That's totally fine. Thread is about Watch Dogs anyway, so lets just move on.

Say what? You must be confused, the subject I entered in on was TR vs TLOU, I've not changed the subject.

Anyways, said what needed to be said. Carry on with the thread, fellas.

Eusis

To be fair TR is a better game than Infinite.
I still need to play it, but at this point I really wouldn't be too shocked if TR ended up a pleasant surprise. It sounded like both had the same core problem though, which is why TR was Steam sale fodder for me.

So this game is skipping launch and Q1 2014.

So in the same months as Titanfall and Destiny
Destiny. Different genres, but that is going to be a crazy few months of marketing.

So at this point we just replay TR and TLOU..till WD is out. Roger! ;) I'm bummed for a split second about the delay and now I can worry about playing it later. Simple enough.

It was good but it wasn't GOTY

Loakum

Banned
Well...it sucks because I pre ordered (Paid In Full) the $130 Limited Edition of Watch Dogs for the PS4. If I knew in advance it was gonna get delayed for Spring of 2014, I wouldn't had paid off the pre order. Instead I would had pre ordered Batman Arkham Orgins.

Eusis

It was good but it wasn't GOTY
Well, it's certainly not one that I think many will give as a group, but it's definitely a game that can win individual GotYs.

Then again when we're just going down to individuals there's probably SOMEONE who'd vote games like Big Rigs as GotY based on comic value alone.

Top Bottom